2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Kirkland Signature (Costco) golf balls (MERGED) (NO BST POSTS)

Swoff57

Wow, can't believe I am just now reading this, such a golf ball snob (thanks MiamiMonkey).

I am a member, seems sold out online, will be out to the store on Wednesday.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Costco won't raise prices. This a clear win for them. What will be interesting is to see how the other premium ball manufacturers like Titleist are affected in 6-12 months and if they bend to the will of Costco's price point - thereby having to lowering the prices of their stock to stay competitive. If Costco takes a large market share just by word of mouth - which means they have no ad budget - which is a huge cost to the big players - and they seem poised to do so - what happens to prices of Brand name high end golf balls? What happens to low end balls? Since you can get a premium ball now for about a buck - do the prices of all balls go down too?

Costco won't raise prices. This a clear win for them. What will be interesting is to see how the other premium ball manufacturers like Titleist are affected in 6-12 months and if they bend to the will of Costco's price point - thereby having to lowering the prices of their stock to stay competitive. If Costco takes a large market share just by word of mouth - which means they have no ad budget - which is a huge cost to the big players - and they seem poised to do so - what happens to prices of Brand name high end golf balls? What happens to low end balls? Since you can get a premium ball now for about a buck - do the prices of all balls go down too?

Totally agree. Golf balls aren't made with materials that this planet has a limited supply of (like gold, palladium, and other precious metals). They are made of man made materials that can be made in virtually limitless quantities. If there is a shortage of those KS balls (which there is), they will simply make more of them with their prices unmolested. When the Pro V1 came out, there was a HUGE demand from the beginning yet their prices really hasn't changed to this day.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

You vastly overestimate the importance of Costco People to the larger world of golf. If cheap Korean urethane balls were going to affect Titleist's bottom line it would have done so years ago. It isn't like there were people buying ProV1's at Costco before the K-sig came out.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

results graphic from MGspy site. pretty amazing actually.

tale_of_the_tape2.png

Why didn't they compare it to the Pro V1x? That would make more sense since they are both 4 piece balls.

That's what I was saying. But I think they wanted it to be the "#1 ball in golf" based on total sales

Yeah M G S and Titliest have some serious beef if you've been following them for a while. Any chance to stick it to them using "unbiased" testing is clearly going to be pounced upon :)

That said, results like this will definitely make me give them a try!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

You vastly overestimate the importance of Costco People to the larger world of golf. If cheap Korean urethane balls were going to affect Titleist's bottom line it would have done so years ago. It isn't like there were people buying ProV1's at Costco before the K-sig came out.

You are vastly underestimating cheapness in people. These balls are brand new. Word has barely gotten out. Disruption has not even begun to happen. As far as I am aware no ball manufacturer has come out with a 4 piece ball that plays like a ProV at or anywhere near this price point. This is how disruption works - word of mouth. In a year - without spending any money on advertising - it will be interesting to see what ball prices are across the board.

If ProV1 prices go down next year I will buy you two dozen of the K-sig. The cheap people you reference are obviously not paying $48/dozen for ProV1 today right?

There are millions of golfers unwilling to pay ProV1 prices. So they buy sonething else. That "something else" might now be K-sig instead of Chrome Soft or Gamer Tour or Duo Urethane. Won't affect the ProV1 buyers.

BMW's prices did not come down when Hyundai and Kia came along...

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

Although the materials are nearly limitless in the next 20 years, they are petrochemicals and subject to pricing and scarcity depending on world economies.

The tooling is not limitless and Costco stands to make more money at 38 per 2 dozen pack which would be my guess at where they will fit in the market. They'll compete against lower priced balls, and do great. A lot of the prov1 crowd will continue to buy them at the pro shop. Some of you might order from Vice or Snell, but more will simply buy 6 dozen whenever they're in Costco and it's on the list.

And if 4 layers were better than 3 matter we'd all be playing the 5-layer Lethal, right?

We are. Thats the best ball ever made. P.E.R.I.O.D.
  • AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM SIM Ti 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • Apex UW 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7X
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

I was a Prov1X player for years. I would get them when Golf Balls Direct had deals and free shipping on their AAAA or AAAAA's. I figured for $1.50 or so a ball, in mint condition, was something I could live with.

The only time I would buy new boxes, were with reward points from credit cards, or when I was looking to burn a Dicks gift card. I would also get new boxes for gifts and, when I worked, as vendor giveaways.

For me the V1's and Srixons Z-Star are/were a good fit for my game. I like the balls but refused to pay top dollar for new when I could and did, get great quality used.

I don't mind spending money, but I hate to waste money!

After 8 or so rounds playing exclusively Kirklands, I can say with confidence I won't be changing back to Titleists anytime soon. Third party charts and testing aside, this ball fits my game perfectly.

Three of my buddies who were committed ProV1 players have also switched (Along with another fellow who played Taylor Made project A's).

Small sampling I know, but it's what I got.

I also ran into one guy who poo, pooed it saying "Costco ball!! Not for me!!" like just touching it would give him diphtheria. I imagine there's more like him out there as well.

Will the Kirkland ball take over the golf ball market?

Probably not, but I know at least one foursome who's done buying Titleists for now.

For the record, I still have about 7 or 8 dozen V1's and Srixons in my stash. Plus 5 dozen new smelling Kirklands,

I say must this now! I am done buying balls for the forseeable future! (I say that every time there's a ball deal)

*Layers Schmayers! These balls could be filled with bat dung for all I care..... :)

X________________________________ Sign Here

This isn't Costco's first rodeo. As they do with many new products, they put it in select regional stores as well as online and let the organic word of mouth advertising create demand. There have already been over 150,000 views on this thread alone and Costco is most likely monitoring the commentary. Now they have an idea of what the demand is, they know the current price model is supported and they know where the orders are coming from geographically. They also know there is an interest globally in the product which they haven't tapped into as of yet.

This gives Costco the leverage to go to the OEM, purchase a much larger quantity, keep the price point to the consumer the same but increase their dollar margin as well as percent margin. A very simple but successful strategy.

I saw this ball at work for the first time this weekend. One of my playing partners was using this ball and he was able to do amazing things with it. FWIW, I normally play Srixon Z stars and have very little problem spinning the ball or getting it to check on chips/flop shots. On Saturday, it was a different story- not sure if it was technique or greens or maybe both. Anyhow, the Kirkland ball was checking very well and was long off the tee. Luckily, he was nice enough to give me a ball to try.

Titleist do not care if you buy new K-sigs instead of used ProV1. They were not selling you balls either way.

I am also firmly in the not-pay-$48 camp myself. So what I do has no effect on Titleist or their pricing.

But what about the effect of those I have and will continue to convert? And those that they convert? The ripple effect can be large. (Not to mention I will never burn a gift card or CC points on ProV1's again)

My Pro gave me a hard time for introducing several guys at my club the Snell. We have a great relationship but he told me he took a hit on ball sales. Now a lot of guys are switching to the KSig at my club. If my pro is complaining about sales of his ProV1s, you can bet Titleist is going to feel it too.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

I'm going to get a lot of free Ksigs. Prices will drop when they feel the pain which is forthcoming. Don't think they are not scrambling to prepare for market disruption - no pun intended. Same goes for used balls - which is what I normally buy AAAA+ ProV1x's. That market will eventually feel it too - as more people learn about just buying these new balls that perform as good as a ProV1 for a fraction of the cost. You can not compare luxury auto sales (which has social status and human psychology involved) to a premium golf ball - which has physical comparison stats and saving easy cash where it is not really noticed being the prime motivator. People are cheap and will save the easy bucks if there is no perceived difference other than price. Just my opinion. We'll see how it plays out. Downmarket balls will have to adjust as well - Mojo and supersoft etc.. Give it time.

My Pro gave me a hard time for introducing several guys at my club the Snell. We have a great relationship but he told me he took a hit on ball sales. Now a lot of guys are switching to the KSig at my club. If my pro is complaining about sales of his ProV1s, you can bet Titleist is going to feel it too.

What about Snell? He's also going to feel it too.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

My ego doesn't take up much room in my wallet.

Pride and Ego will remain obstacles for most golfers improving their game. I've watched this thread for several weeks and it reminds me of the times I see players using equipment ill-suited for their game, playing tee boxes and course lengths outside of their handicap level, and placing bets their staff bags can't play up to. The Kirkland ball will be successful because it is a VERY GOOD product. I've played it and will play it again.

Costco has been successful by providing what their members want. Folks that want to spend $48 a dz or more for balls, have lots of choices where to spend their money. This is an old business with very limiting specs that don't require a lot of new thinking. $15 a dozen is a fair price for a ball when you aren't having to spend much on product development. $48 a dozen doesn't mean there's $30 more PD involved. Cost of actual production should be less on a 3 piece ball vs a 4 piece (less layers= fewer production steps). That's my product development background talking.

I've been fortunate enough to grow up around the golf business without having to be in the golf business. I've maintained a single digit handicap (5.6 now) for 40 years (I'm 56 now). I hit my driver 230-240 yards with all the modern technology and when looking at shot 150 yards in, I first reach for my 7 iron. I live in South Florida after moving here from Scottsdale a decade ago. I play 110-130 rounds a year, down from 150 (not as many tourneys). I don't buy golf balls often. That's my ego fluffing to make my words seem important. See my profile, long time member, not much talking.

Next time I tee it up in a match, against an opponent using the Kirkland ball, I'll watch his swing, his ball flight and know if I need to watch my wallet. J Fab.

My ego doesn't take up much room in my wallet.

Pride and Ego will remain obstacles for most golfers improving their game. I've watched this thread for several weeks and it reminds me of the times I see players using equipment ill-suited for their game, playing tee boxes and course lengths outside of their handicap level, and placing bets their staff bags can't play up to. The Kirkland ball will be successful because it is a VERY GOOD product. I've played it and will play it again.

Costco has been successful by providing what their members want. Folks that want to spend $48 a dz or more for balls, have lots of choices where to spend their money. This is an old business with very limiting specs that don't require a lot of new thinking. $15 a dozen is a fair price for a ball when you aren't having to spend much on product development. $48 a dozen doesn't mean there's $30 more PD involved. Cost of actual production should be less on a 3 piece ball vs a 4 piece (less layers= fewer production steps). That's my product development background talking.

I've been fortunate enough to grow up around the golf business without having to be in the golf business. I've maintained a single digit handicap (5.6 now) for 40 years (I'm 56 now). I hit my driver 230-240 yards with all the modern technology and when looking at shot 150 yards in, I first reach for my 7 iron. I live in South Florida after moving here from Scottsdale a decade ago. I play 110-130 rounds a year, down from 150 (not as many tourneys). I don't buy golf balls often. That's my ego fluffing to make my words seem important. See my profile, long time member, not much talking.

Next time I tee it up in a match, against an opponent using the Kirkland ball, I'll watch his swing, his ball flight and know if I need to watch my wallet. J Fab.

Juan's post is the exact thing that the marketing people at Costco look at. Avid golfer, rare poster but motivated enough to make a statement on this NEW product. Of all the new clubs, shaft, balls, etc. introduced since 2008, JP is talking about the Kirkland ball.

What about Snell? He's also going to feel it too.

I bought some of his balls and really liked them. The MTB's are as good as the Titleists for sure.

He's the guy I feel for.

I wonder if these will impact his bottom line? Unfortunately, I believe they will.

The only people I know that avidly use Pro V1s are people who will only buy them with proshop credit.

I quit on them when they used to tear up faster than Bridgestone's or Srixons, but then I got very accustomed to spending $30 a dozen over $50. I usually buy 4 dozen (buy 3 get 1 free) towards Christmas time of the Bstones or Srixons. But with that said, I now have 2 dozen Kirklands in my possession that I plan to use up first over my 4 dozen Srixon's I have in my garage.

Nothing irks me more than standing on the 2nd tee and hitting a $5 bill into the pond, now it'll just be $1.25...

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

The only people I know that avidly use Pro V1s are people who will only buy them with proshop credit.

I quit on them when they used to tear up faster than Bridgestone's or Srixons, but then I got very accustomed to spending $30 a dozen over $50. I usually buy 4 dozen (buy 3 get 1 free) towards Christmas time of the Bstones or Srixons. But with that said, I now have 2 dozen Kirklands in my possession that I plan to use up first over my 4 dozen Srixon's I have in my garage.

Nothing irks me more than standing on the 2nd tee and hitting a $5 bill into the pond, now it'll just be $1.25...

Funny I just mentioned the same thing in a conversation with another member here. I play prov1x because I use shop credit from tourneys. I'd never pay $50 a dozen for them with my own money.

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment