Kirkland Signature (Costco) golf balls (MERGED) (NO BST POSTS)

Swoff57

I'm 46 years old and about 5'5". My SS is in the neighborhood of 110-115 and my ghin is anywhere from 4-6. My feelings about the ball are as follows:

Driver: The K3 goes a long ways. It feels a little heavy off of the clubface which I am indifferent to, but it also feels very soft. I hit a few bombs this week in parts of the course I've never been to.

Irons: Distance seems to be about the same for me across the board. It's more of a drop and stop ball though I have sucked a few back. I also hit it a higher than other balls.

Wedges: Same as other balls, BUT I cannot get any greenside spin out of this ball. I've read people go both ways with this ball and I'm in the can't stop it crowd.

Putter: Nice and soft.

Overall, I like the ball. However, I have two gripes: One is the lack of spin on chips stated above. The other is the height of my shots into the wind with my short irons. I have hit some shockingly high shots into the wind with this ball. "Shocking" as in, "WHOAAAAAAAAA, that thing is freakin' high" kinda shots. I don't hit them that way all of the time, but there have been a few that were eye opening. I can blame my swing, but...

I finally played a round at a par 3 course and did some practice chipping with the K3. I didn't notice any difference in distance off a fairway wood or driver. My iron shots seemed to all be about a half club shorter than I expected (compared to a Wilson Duo), and seemed to have a much lower ball flight. I didn't notice much difference in feel off the irons or longer clubs, but off the wedges it was much clickier. I didn't pull any balls back, but every shot (up to a 7i) stopped within a foot of it's pitch mark.

For chipping practice, the ball is still fairly clickly, but seems to grab pretty good. I don't like this as much as the original chromesoft, but like it about the same as the new chromesoft. I prefer the Duo-U and the FG Tour to this ball, and am not sure the money savings is worth it.

Well I think I'm in the exception on these golf balls. Picked up "a few" when they were on sale before and tested them out this spring. I had been playing the Chrome Soft for the past two seasons. While this is a great ball for the money....For me.....The Chrome Soft beats it in every way. The Chrome Soft is longer off the tee by noticeable amount and has a ton more spin off the irons and wedges. The K-Sig wins in the durability category but that is it for me. It was a fun experiment, but it is over now.

Just wanted to share my experience.

Assuming you are referring to the 3 piece Ksig? I am not the biggest fan of it. A fine ball for the money, but I do have quite a few others I'd pay more to play.

Nope, the 4 piece. Just does not do what I want my golf ball to do.

I get it. Everyone has different preferences. I am a bit surprised you found the Ksig to be more durable than the Chrome Soft. I haven't played the newest version, but the first two revisions seemed to be indestructible. My biggest issue with the Ksig is that I don't think it is as durable as other urethane balls.

I have a decent stash of them and have been playing fairly well, so I am not going through too many. I think I will start switching back to Zstars once I get into mid-season and play in a few tournaments. The Ksig is great, but I do prefer the Zstar to pretty much anything else.

That durability difference might be that I don't hit very many full "wedge" shots in a normal round of golf. I will always play a 50% 50* wedge over hitting a full 56*. So I'm pretty easy on golf balls as it is. I also play the the Chrome Soft in the Truvis version and those tend to show a bit more wear to the added pattern that they have. I typically don't get many huge marks on a ball unless it hits a cart path or something.

Which is quite possibly where the disconnect was with Mr Snell. He was likely using a business model where you try to sell as many as you can- all at a profit. There have probably been a lot of folks that made multiple trips to their local Costco hoping the balls would be there. While there of course they bought some of DP's wine and filled the cart with other items as well. As many of the Costco aficionados on this long thread have noted it is quite possible that Costco is not making any profit off the ball itself but using it to drive unadvertised traffic.

If that was Costco's MO, they would be selling the balls in their warehouses, rather than making them an online only item. People don't stroll up and down the aisles of the website looking for other items like they do at the warehouses. There is no point for Costco to have online "loss leaders".

Which is quite possibly where the disconnect was with Mr Snell. He was likely using a business model where you try to sell as many as you can- all at a profit. There have probably been a lot of folks that made multiple trips to their local Costco hoping the balls would be there. While there of course they bought some of DP's wine and filled the cart with other items as well. As many of the Costco aficionados on this long thread have noted it is quite possible that Costco is not making any profit off the ball itself but using it to drive unadvertised traffic.

If that was Costco's MO, they would be selling the balls in their warehouses, rather than making them an online only item. People don't stroll up and down the aisles of the website looking for other items like they do at the warehouses. There is no point for Costco to have online "loss leaders".

If Costco is losing money (or breaking even) on these balls I'm guessing their justification is, "we're selling tons of memberships".

i put the KTrés in play on sunday. had my first round of the year with 3 birdies. 12 one putts. lowest round of the year for me (76) on a decidedly tough track.

i really hate how the ball doesn't show tree or scuff marks. why would they make these so damn durable? stupid costco.

this ball is garbage, no one should ever buy it.

Nice round. Apparently you didn't read where they fly too high...or too low...or don't have enough greenside spin...or are 1/2 club short off the irons. Ignorance is bliss!

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

If Costco is losing money (or breaking even) on these balls I'm guessing their justification is, "we're selling tons of memberships".

To who? GolfWRX members? The general public doesn't know anything about these balls.

To who? GolfWRX members? The general public doesn't know anything about these balls.

Huh? Your theory is that 100% of KSig players are golfwrx members? This might surprise you... I know about 10 people playing this ball and none of them know anything about GolfWRX. In no way do I consider that an accurate or all inclusive poll but you are WAY off here, that much I do know.

Perhaps it's working as intended? the most recent consolidated statement shows $80 million more in revenue just from memberships fees from a 12 wk time frame yoy ending feb 18 vs feb 17. More info will be released tomorrow as they are releasing additional information updated to apr numbers. I read somewhere...Bloomberg?

It still could be a loss leader as its being a member only item Costco gets (some people) to get a membership = membership fees even if they don't buy anything else. Since these new members are paying a fee and now have a membership, why not check out Costco online next time you purchase something you might've purchased online via Amazon, target etc...?

K3 must really stink....

How many times did NB vote???

I am not a Costco member so don’t “vote” but on a 5-point scale I’d give K-3 a 4/5 as a golf ball per se and 5/5 if you take into account the price. Original K-Sig I’d give 5/5 on its own merit and a 5+ if you consider price.

Totally agree. I've never bought the "online treasure hunt" or "keep the buzz alive" theories of why they still have "overruns" left. I personally believe they are being produced, albeit slowly. I'm still hoping they will some day make it to all the stores (still not happy about them jacking up the shipping cost on them).

Sto Pro Veritate

K3 must really stink....

How many times did NB vote???

I am not a Costco member so don’t “vote” but on a 5-point scale I’d give K-3 a 4/5 as a golf ball per se and 5/5 if you take into account the price. Original K-Sig I’d give 5/5 on its own merit and a 5+ if you consider price.

Exactly how I would rate each ball. KSig 4 is my favorite ball vs ProV, Bridgestone, you name it, I like the KSig. If you removed all the branding from a ProV, B-Stone, Chrome Soft X, any ball you want to put in the mix, I would most likely take the KSig4, but I also think it would be very difficult to distinguish between several of the top urethane balls.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

I think the closest comparable for me to the K-Sig would be 2014 B330 which I played for quite a while. Or maybe B330S, the K-Sig might spin more on full wedge shots than the regular B330.

Not sure the K-3 reminded me of any particular ball. But the K-Sig to B330/B330S comparison did come to mind when I tried the K-Sig.

Played the K3 for the first time yesterday. When there's little wind, great ball.

However, when I played shots into a decent wind, ball ballooned hard. One was so bad, I ended up about 40 yards short on a shot I clubbed up on. As long as the sind isn't an issue, I see no problem in gaming these :) Will be purchasing more

Played the K3 for the first time yesterday. When there's little wind, great ball.

However, when I played shots into a decent wind, ball ballooned hard. One was so bad, I ended up about 40 yards short on a shot I clubbed up on. As long as the sind isn't an issue, I see no problem in gaming these :) Will be purchasing more

You're not alone in that assessment.

Someone educate me....what is it about a ball's construction could make it balloon? The dimple pattern? My uneducated brain makes me think that while the ball is in the air, a ball is pretty much a ball with the only difference I can think of being maybe the dimples. I can see it reacting differently off the club or on the ground, but why it would behave differently in the air befuddles me.

Sto Pro Veritate

Someone educate me....what is it about a ball's construction could make it balloon? The dimple pattern? My uneducated brain makes me think that while the ball is in the air, a ball is pretty much a ball with the only difference I can think of being maybe the dimples. I can see it reacting differently off the club or on the ground, but why it would behave differently in the air befuddles me.

Once a ball is in the air, three factors influence the height of its trajectory. The velocity, the spin and the design of the dimples. Note that "velocity" and "spin" are both vectors which have a magnitude and a direction.

If one ball flies much higher than another at a given speed and angle of launch then either it is spinning more or its dimples are producing more lift. Or both.

So presumably, those of us who find the K-3 flies really, really high when hit hard with a short iron into the wind are either over-spinning it or else the dimple pattern produces excess lift at that particular velocity and spin.

Keep in mind that the lift produced a certain dimple pattern is a function of velocity and spin combined. So a ball that flies too high for one person might not fly too high for someone who imparts less spin or hits the ball with less velocity.

In the end, unless you're a golf ball engineer you have to just take a ball for what it is. The designers gave it a certain combination of dozen different characteristics (thickness and composition of each layer, all the various element of dimple design, etc.) and the performance is what it is. YOU CAN NOT ISOLATE ONE PARTICULAR DESIGN ELEMENT AND SAY IT CAUSES A CERTAIN BALL FLIGHT. It all works together.

Once a ball is in the air, three factors influence the height of its trajectory. The velocity, the spin and the design of the dimples. Note that "velocity" and "spin" are both vectors which have a magnitude and a direction.

If one ball flies much higher than another at a given speed and angle of launch then either it is spinning more or its dimples are producing more lift. Or both.

So presumably, those of us who find the K-3 flies really, really high when hit hard with a short iron into the wind are either over-spinning it or else the dimple pattern produces excess lift at that particular velocity and spin.

Keep in mind that the lift produced a certain dimple pattern is a function of velocity and spin combined. So a ball that flies too high for one person might not fly too high for someone who imparts less spin or hits the ball with less velocity.

In the end, unless you're a golf ball engineer you have to just take a ball for what it is. The designers gave it a certain combination of dozen different characteristics (thickness and composition of each layer, all the various element of dimple design, etc.) and the performance is what it is. YOU CAN NOT ISOLATE ONE PARTICULAR DESIGN ELEMENT AND SAY IT CAUSES A CERTAIN BALL FLIGHT. It all works together.

You can always practice and learn how to flight balls better...

I finally played the k-sig today and liked it. It seems like a great ball especially considering the price. I thought it played well off all clubs and had some great spin on wedges. I bet I didn't have any wedge shots that the ball was farther than 3 feet from the pitch mark. My normal ball is the Chrome Soft but I would have no problem playing this ball full time and might once get rid of some Chrome Soft's.