Tiger's clubs for Safeway (Photo added page 19)

Clubs from the Oven are almost as good as off the rack Callaway, TMAG and Titleist clubs. They are definitely better than off the rack Nike clubs.

Little rusty after the suspension? I expect more out of you.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were an athlete and your equipment company bailed on you, do you think you would have stuck around? No tour support... With so many other companies there on the putting greens and reps out there on the range trying to get equipment in everyone's hands... What would you do? Especially with "tee up" money why wouldn't they bail? Hell I would have bailed too. I would have bailed that same day they made the announcement. It's not a surprise... but to say the equipment that comes from the Oven were junk is just nonsense. Tiger always felt his putter was blessed. Even though his putting stats are the same with the method and he has his lowest putts in a tournament with the Method, if it makes him feel that he will another major than do it. I just want to see Tiger back. But some of you are voicing an opinion without never playing Oven equipment. Now if we are talking about Nike "retail" equipment... Well that's a different story, retail wise you have "watered down" versions of the real thing... You should dump your equipment too lol.

I'm talking retail which is what people had access to. But your right. Nike bailed on them and why bother stick around. Looks like apparel and bag deals moving forward.

I completely agree. Which is one of the frustrations. What they came up with by the time things hit retail were all about how much they could (Nike Corporate) save money. Take Origins for example, the Origins out of the Oven are way different than the retail versions. From interchangeable weights down to the coating between the gaskets is different. The counterflex putters... Watered down retail versions of what should have been. Wedges, limited amount of grinds. My green dot toe sweep is nothing like I can get at retail. Their drivers were good ONLY when hotmelted and properly tested and built. My Oven Fly performs completely different than the retail one I tried. David Franklin/Prater putters look and feel totally different than retail pieces. Nike has always limited the ideas produced or all out changed them so much they are too different.

Bags look so weird with other equipment in them it's going to take getting used to. But yeah if I was a Nike athlete I would move on sooner than later. End of rant lol

definitely weird to see everyone with different gear but the lesser known guys (especially those who struggled this year) I can see switching much quicker than others. The stuff out of the oven was definitely different as it was customized to everyone's liking. I have a few wedges from the oven but I also too some of my engages to a guy around here who put some different grinds on them. The average golfer doesn't mess with hotmelt, let alone know what it is.

But then again aren't all clubs better when they're custom built and fit for players?

Yes of course. But the contrast was too drastic compared to what came out of the Oven to retail vs other companies. Take the putters for example. The machinery with used with a retail Scotty is heads and tails above the machinery used in retail Method putters. In my opinion Nike was more concerned with saving money on the retail end vs putting out a better product and original ideas from the Oven. Just wish more people got to see the quality and exceptionally good product the guys at the Oven came up with "originally". In my opinion the demise of Nike was when someone who doesn't golf took over the golf section and watered down or altered original ideas too much. Back to Tiger, all his irons are made by hand I think it will take some time for him to switch. It would take a company building something specifically for him which will take much time testing and tweaking to his standards. I know he trust MT a lot and MT is one of the best out there... Hopefully where ever TW goes he goes as well.

Remember what Phil Knight said when they announced they were shutting down their hard goods section. "Profit margin".

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

To be fair most of the retail gear aimed at the better golfer, like the forged irons, wedges, and a large proportion of the woods were really good, what let them down in retail was the bottom end stuff, some fairly nasty designs and dubious build quality imo.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Not sure if this has been posted I didn't see it but looks like the Scotty is back too

I get that but in the videos, Tiger's putter headcover is the black tour swoosh. Again, for now. http://www.espn.com/...safeway-classic

Doesn't matter what the HC is - he said that he's using his Scotty. If I recall, he was using a Nike headcover before he started using the original Method.

TSR3 10*/AD-DI 6x
TSR2 15*/AD-DI 7x
TS2 19*/AD-IZ 85x

T200 4/AD-IZ 95x

T100 5-9/PX LZ
SM9 46F, 50F, 54S, 60M/PX LZ

SC NP2 Tour CT Custom

Pro V1x

Clubs from the Oven are almost as good as off the rack Callaway, TMAG and Titleist clubs. They are definitely better than off the rack Nike clubs.

Little rusty after the suspension? I expect more out of you.

Now that made me chuckle. Lol

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

You know what....1020 or 1025 steel is same regardless of whose name is stamped on it....Nike blades and older pro combo were designs that have been used forever and still are.....mine felt as good as anything else, though I don't play Nike clubs anymore, I shot same scores as my mizzys.....if your a tour player I can see very subtle differences making or breaking a club.....

For some reason Nike name didn't suit me with golf but their clubs certainly didn't suck.....

So he played at Spyglass after the WD? What gives? Surely someone can report on his play there? And I read he has a clinic tomorrow somewhere out there?

Would you like him to not play nor continue working on getting game ready? He said he wasn't performing at a level to compete, not that he can't swing a club.

The point was.....as it read, surely sone one can post how his game is....ie his swing, chipping, putting. I want him to play, obviously, just curious as everyone how his game really is....

If you were an athlete and your equipment company bailed on you, do you think you would have stuck around? No tour support... With so many other companies there on the putting greens and reps out there on the range trying to get equipment in everyone's hands... What would you do? Especially with "tee up" money why wouldn't they bail? Hell I would have bailed too. I would have bailed that same day they made the announcement. It's not a surprise... but to say the equipment that comes from the Oven were junk is just nonsense. Tiger always felt his putter was blessed. Even though his putting stats are the same with the method and he has his lowest putts in a tournament with the Method, if it makes him feel that he will another major than do it. I just want to see Tiger back. But some of you are voicing an opinion without never playing Oven equipment. Now if we are talking about Nike "retail" equipment... Well that's a different story, retail wise you have "watered down" versions of the real thing... You should dump your equipment too lol.

I'm talking retail which is what people had access to. But your right. Nike bailed on them and why bother stick around. Looks like apparel and bag deals moving forward.

I completely agree. Which is one of the frustrations. What they came up with by the time things hit retail were all about how much they could (Nike Corporate) save money. Take Origins for example, the Origins out of the Oven are way different than the retail versions. From interchangeable weights down to the coating between the gaskets is different. The counterflex putters... Watered down retail versions of what should have been. Wedges, limited amount of grinds. My green dot toe sweep is nothing like I can get at retail. Their drivers were good ONLY when hotmelted and properly tested and built. My Oven Fly performs completely different than the retail one I tried. David Franklin/Prater putters look and feel totally different than retail pieces. Nike has always limited the ideas produced or all out changed them so much they are too different.

Bags look so weird with other equipment in them it's going to take getting used to. But yeah if I was a Nike athlete I would move on sooner than later. End of rant lol

Nike designed some of the best forged irons. Ever. And they came to retail. Forged Blades and VR Pro. It's no surprise those still playing Nike irons went back to the VR Pro. When Nike Golf kept it simple it made outstanding products. But Innovation became the sole focus. The chase was innovation. And in the end, Nike didn't enjoy the chase anymore.

If you hit the ball in the center of the putter, the Method felt like you hit it 1" off the toe. The sweet spot was very hard to find.

Perhaps it's just you?

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Should we start taking wagers that this highly entertaining thread remains on the first page until early December and the Hero?

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

I was thinking about this today...........

If you are Tiger, why would you show your hand to the manufacturers? I mean let's face it, his Nike stuff is fine and any of the big OEMs can make something that he likes. So why would you switch before you have a deal in place? His agent is probably on the phone in a bidding war right now: "Yeah he likes your M1 driver but he also likes the 917. He won't hit anything in a tournament until he sees some dollar bills."

And for the guys that say he is just going to play whatever he wants, or he's going to have a mixed bag.......can we please drop that argument? Who is the last rich guy that you heard say "yeah, I'm not really interested in ANOTHER $5 million per year."

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

If you are Tiger, why would you show your hand to the manufacturers? I mean let's face it, his Nike stuff is fine and any of the big OEMs can make something that he likes. So why would you switch before you have a deal in place? His agent is probably on the phone in a bidding war right now: "Yeah he likes your M1 driver but he also likes the 917. He won't hit anything in a tournament until he sees some dollar bills."

And for the guys that say he is just going to play whatever he wants, or he's going to have a mixed bag.......can we please drop that argument? Who is the last rich guy that you heard say "yeah, I'm not really interested in ANOTHER $5 million per year."

Based on reports though it would not be ANOTHER $5 million. It would be someone else paying him that $5m instead of Nike.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

pretty sure at that level they know how to negotiate deals, lol......they know what they're doing I assure you

He's famously finicky about gear, and he had design input into a lot of the gear Nike made for him. I mean this is a guy who resisted a graphite shaft in his driver for years. Besides pure hating I don't see why he would switch quickly.

Sure TM for example could make what he wants and sign him but it would take some time. And how much would it cost to sign him? Is he going to move away from Nike apparel? I highly doubt he is. So what is the incentive for him to sign with another OEM?

I could see him just employing the oven guys to keep making stuff like irons/wedges for him from Miura blanks and gaming non-branded stuff. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants to some people here! Wouldn't work with woods/drivers of course.

If Tiger wants a club deal, isn't he best waiting until his "successful" return?

At this point in time, I'd imagine companies would look at him like a brand ambassador and not a tour player. I'm picturing his endorsement value right now is similar to Arnie, Watson, or Player signing with Callaway. A win in his 4th or 5th start? Tiger is back and the check books will really open

Epic Max LS - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10

Epic Max 7W  - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10
4- P  T100S LA Golf A Series - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall
Raw Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 58M S400 - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall

Vokey 64 Jimmy Walker S400 - BB and F Ferrule

Cameron Futura X11.5 - BGT Shaft - Super Stroke Flatso 1.0

If you hit the ball in the center of the putter, the Method felt like you hit it 1" off the toe. The sweet spot was very hard to find.

Perhaps it's just you?

It was a well-noted complaint on this board and amongst Nike fans

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

If it's a Taylor Made driver, I bet it's the M1 430 or the M2. They are DEEP! And I'm sure through testing, TW found out how much better other drivers were from other manufacturers. The Mizuno irons are a no-brainer, but the Bridgestone ball will be interesting to see, if it's true. I'm betting on the B330-S since Tiger has always preferred a "softer" feel. Should be fun to watch!

Tiger said he tests everyone's equipment routinely to see where his equipment stands against it, so he's well aware what's out. Nice attempt at an inferior Nike troll post

Also, tiger likes a little click, not super soft. Spinny, yes but not super soft

Never said he likes "super soft". Just know he's ALWAYS used the "softer" of Nike's tour balls. "Attempt at a troll post"? Listen up!! Check all the independent testing of Nike drivers compared to Callaway, PING, Taylor Made & Titleist......Nike consistently rates lower scores, not to mention GC2 testing I've seen personally by some very good scratch players! Sorry you can't handle the truth.

If Tiger wants a club deal, isn't he best waiting until his "successful" return?

At this point in time, I'd imagine companies would look at him like a brand ambassador and not a tour player. I'm picturing his endorsement value right now is similar to Arnie, Watson, or Player signing with Callaway. A win in his 4th or 5th start? Tiger is back and the check books will really open

Given by the number of posts about Tiger and his equipment here in the last two weeks he still the most talked about, noticed and studied golfer on the planet. By a very, very large margin.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Given by the number of posts about Tiger and his equipment here in the last two weeks he still the most talked about, noticed and studied golfer on the planet. By a very, very large margin.

But one of the least emulated, as far as consumers buying golf clubs.

If I were Tiger, and really wanted to get the OEM's worked up, I would have put 1 driver from EVERY major manufacturer in my bag when I went out to play. :)

PXG Black Ops Swing Balance Yellow
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus Red 8X

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8X

PXG 0317T 4-P, SteelFiber PR

Ping i159 50*, 54*, 58*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

But one of the least emulated, as far as consumers buying golf clubs.

Maybe the problem was not enough wanted to play the clubs that Rory, Casey, Henley, Finau, Tway, and more played? Tiger may have sold more clubs than any other player. We have no idea. In addition, of Nike was just a club manufacturer it is likely they would still be in business. But for a huge conglomerate that division underperformed. Not lost money.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

If it's a Taylor Made driver, I bet it's the M1 430 or the M2. They are DEEP! And I'm sure through testing, TW found out how much better other drivers were from other manufacturers. The Mizuno irons are a no-brainer, but the Bridgestone ball will be interesting to see, if it's true. I'm betting on the B330-S since Tiger has always preferred a "softer" feel. Should be fun to watch!

Tiger said he tests everyone's equipment routinely to see where his equipment stands against it, so he's well aware what's out. Nice attempt at an inferior Nike troll post

Also, tiger likes a little click, not super soft. Spinny, yes but not super soft

Never said he likes "super soft". Just know he's ALWAYS used the "softer" of Nike's tour balls. "Attempt at a troll post"? Listen up!! Check all the independent testing of Nike drivers compared to Callaway, PING, Taylor Made & Titleist......Nike consistently rates lower scores, not to mention GC2 testing I've seen personally by some very good scratch players! Sorry you can't handle the truth.

Don't need to check others' testing. I do my own trackman testing, and my driver won out. Thanks though.

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

Big announcement coming from TaylorMade and Tiger tomorrow

They're going to release the Vapor Fly TW but stamping it Taylormade?

Testing: Sim2 8*, Mizuno ST-G 220

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Cleveland Mashie 15.5*

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI/Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Three

?

Titleist TSR4 Graphite Design Tour AD GP-6X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

I'm with you, but please give us more details and I'll really be with you.

Titleist TS3 8.5 HZDRUS 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 15 HZDRUS 70 6.5
Titleist 818H2 19 Aldila Phenom HYB 85 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 UT 21 KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 4-PW KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind and 58/8 C Grind KBS $Taper 120 S
Scotty Cameron Futura X 35"
Titleist Pro V1x