2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Saw some new Callaway Woods last night (The Epic Thread)

jimpsycho

You probably know this, but what most people don't realize about driver design, is that the higher the MOI a club has, the higher the center of gravity is positioned causing increased backspin and undesired numbers off the driver.

There are very few drivers on the market that have a good MOI (4600-5000), and an extremely low center of gravity (below the neutral axis). Most of which, are designed by cobra.

The reason it is so difficult to achieve a low center of gravity and a high MOI is because there are limitations on the dimensions and measurements of the driver ( a measurement in relation to face width and face to back length). Just because it's a limit with perceived benefit, it isn't necessarily a good thing to max it out.

Very interesting stuff, thank you for sharing. Just going by the MPS Advanced Data, no drivers in the 2016 tests hit those benchmarks. Cobra was the closest with the King LTD (Cg Na -0.15mm and 4576 MOI).

Nice catch. I over estimated.

a32170e6f5187d2009c74ca7aa4602f2.jpg

What's the source of that graphic?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably know this, but what most people don't realize about driver design, is that the higher the MOI a club has, the higher the center of gravity is positioned causing increased backspin and undesired numbers off the driver.

There are very few drivers on the market that have a good MOI (4600-5000), and an extremely low center of gravity (below the neutral axis). Most of which, are designed by cobra.

The reason it is so difficult to achieve a low center of gravity and a high MOI is because there are limitations on the dimensions and measurements of the driver ( a measurement in relation to face width and face to back length). Just because it's a limit with perceived benefit, it isn't necessarily a good thing to max it out.

Very interesting stuff, thank you for sharing. Just going by the MPS Advanced Data, no drivers in the 2016 tests hit those benchmarks. Cobra was the closest with the King LTD (Cg Na -0.15mm and 4576 MOI).

Not sure if I'm aloud to mention a competitor golf forum... Not allowed because of spam did an amazing article on driver CG.

Avian 455 TL, 8.5º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 60X
Avian 355 FW, 14.5º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 60X
Avian 355 FW, 19º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70X
Titleist T200 4 iron, 24º, project X 6.5
Avian 335 blades, 5-9 irons, OBAN CT-125X

Titleist Vokey SM9 48.10F, TT X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 RAW 52.12F, 56.10F, 60.04T, TT S400

Weston Putters - Highland, KBS GPS 120

Launch Monitor - FlightScope Mevo+

Instagram

It's on another forum initials of MGS! Shows what a beast the LTD is!

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

Still waiting on Pures impressions... :)

Added here so not to get buried in this one :)

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1414536-initial-review-on-callaway-epic-gbb/

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

I'm gonna leave this boat right here.... I think Callaway might miss it

Agreed! New TM tease has 2017 M2 at over 5000 MOI and if it's low spin like this year, not going to matter what callaway does with jailbreak...

And how can we know it won't matter? Have you already tested them head to head, or there's just no way TM can be beat with all the luv you have for them? Why don't we wait and see what these new clubs are all about before making up our minds about them?

Oh I see what you did there! Assuming that I have so much distain for callaway based on my name or is it you feel I only "luv" TM! Get outta here with that garbage. It's on the same line as all the people who keep saying "TM is releasing a new driver every week" when callaway has out released them the past 3 years.

Energy transfer and low spin are great, but based on the past (SLDR/R15 vs ping G) the higher moi driver is going to do better! If callaway doesn't fix the lower moi problem they had with previous versions and the bad mishits it produced , the 2017 M2 is going to destroy it. If it's truly 2 mph ball speed, which is similar to the difference in the TM vs G clubs and lower moi people will see right through it just like they did TM and bought more G drivers. Same ball speeds and low spin + 5000+ moi? Just think about it...Ping G series on steroids!!!

In case you didn't notice, throwing PING the "luv" here...

Was it the regular Ping G or the Ping G LS?

The regular G...It was selling more than the TM stuff when it dropped...

New Bag in the making...

http://www.golfwrx.c...laway-epic-gbb/

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to hear about the upcoming battle against your M2!

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to hear about the upcoming battle against your M2!

The funny part is there really isn't any extra info in that thread than there is in this one. Hopefully he can get on a Trackman at some point and relay some numbers. Then we'll have something substantial to talk about.

"

The funny part is there really isn't any extra info in that thread than there is in this one. Hopefully he can get on a Trackman at some point and relay some numbers. Then we'll have something substantial to talk about.

There may not be any extra info data-wise, but I think we can all agree that Tai's reviews are honest and he's a respected member here. So it's not just a random high handicapper like myself saying "It's great!

Taylormade Stealth+
Titleist TSi2 5W
PXG 0317x 22°
PXG Gen3 0311P 4i

PXG Gen4 0311T 5i-Gw
JP Golf Premier Wedge 54° & 58°
Kari Lajosi Damascus LP808

"

There may not be any extra info data-wise, but I think we can all agree that Tai's reviews are honest and he's a respected member here. So it's not just a random high handicapper like myself saying "It's great!

I mean this in the most neutral sense, but it seems to me that making such a statement implies other members who have contributed their experience with this driver are less honest and less respectable. I'm sorry if that rains on anyone's parades, but why should his "review" that offers exactly the same information count for more? Again, I'm putting this out there mostly as food for thought and not to stir the pot.

Personally, I'm more interested in where the ball goes than what numbers are displayed by a machine.

Asked about the Epic at my local shop tonight. The verbatim response: "It's not a Mizuno." Huge praise for the 900. Overall feel toward Epic was pretty meh.

I didn't hit it the Epic. I want to hit the Epic. I also want to hit the 900 now.

Just curious what did he mean by "It's not a Mizuno". Curious what his thoughts are as my current gamer is a 900, and these "Epic" threads are making me crave a change for no reason at all... Please talk some sense back in to me!

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

Personally, I'm more interested in where the ball goes than what numbers are displayed by a machine.

I agree. And other people who have hit it have commented on forgiveness, so what makes his same comment stand out above the rest? At least some numbers would be new that no one else has contributed yet.

I mean this in the most neutral sense, but it seems to me that making such a statement implies other members who have contributed their experience with this driver are less honest and less respectable. I'm sorry if that rains on anyone's parades, but why should his "review" that offers exactly the same information count for more? Again, I'm putting this out there mostly as food for thought and not to stir the pot.

To say anyone else's review was less respectable was not my intention whatsoever. I should have been more clear in saying that he's reviewed plenty of clubs and you know what you get with his reviews. I don't personally know him, but to me, it seems like he plays anything that suits his eye and has the best performance, which helps eliminate some of the brand loyalty bias that you get with some other people who review clubs.

Taylormade Stealth+
Titleist TSi2 5W
PXG 0317x 22°
PXG Gen3 0311P 4i

PXG Gen4 0311T 5i-Gw
JP Golf Premier Wedge 54° & 58°
Kari Lajosi Damascus LP808

Finally got a chance to see this today. Will not be able to hit it until next week at the absolute earliest if I'm lucky. My main concern was that the crown might look a bit busy for me, and I think it does. The fading into carbon fiber, the line up line, plus the aerodynamic ridges were just a bit too much for me. I did hear from my rep that the sub zero will most likely not have the bumps, and may not have a line up line. I will probably be looking to try that. Not a fan of the green either, going to have to udesign it I guess.

The rep did tell me that almost everyone who has tried it is seeing some sort of ball speed improvement.

Where are all the pics? I thought this thread would be full of them after the 1st.

I take it you didn't read the thread....

2019:
G400LST 8.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125MSI 60 stiff
Cobra 3/4 f9; Atmos Blue TS 7s
Cobra 4/5 f8+; Atmos Red TS 8s
3i - PW Miura CB1008; KBS Tour 120s; 2up +1/2”
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 flow neck 2* loft 71* lie
Bettinardi Something Fishy Prototype BB0; Registry #RJB2821; 2* loft; 71* lie

i love the hullk, so does my son

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

This thread led me down a rabbit hole that is Callaway CMP and now I listen to their podcasts. This forum comes up on occasion on their podcasts and Harry seems like just like me when it comes to controlling the message and what not. They did like an entire podcast about this driver without being about this driver. If I were him, and I do some marketing, I would be over the moon about this entire thread and the epic hype this club is getting.

Now I am subscribed to their dang podcasts. They got me. You got me Harry.

That settles it. I need a 257 CT head.

Heads migrate to a higher CT with usage. Its why manufacturers like TM won't let a borderline head out on tour. With constant practice a 257 head would quickly become nonconforming.

I thought once a head is deemed conforming it can't become unconforming simply by use. Someone would have to intentionally alter the head.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

That settles it. I need a 257 CT head.

Heads migrate to a higher CT with usage. Its why manufacturers like TM won't let a borderline head out on tour. With constant practice a 257 head would quickly become nonconforming.

I thought once a head is deemed conforming it can't become unconforming simply by use. Someone would have to intentionally alter the head.

You are correct

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole