2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Inside and outside the ropes

Aimnhit

@Aimnhit, I'm not going to tell you my real name (I'm wearing a disguise in my avatar). Best of luck.

I love this thread, and all the posters in it. Even the skeptics (they have their reasons)...

Richard, Maddie, Solomon, Krasner, Hawkeye, Lumber, Drew, Mitchell, etc.... Love y'all, great thread--Merry Christmas...

@Aimnhit--serious question--other than practice, what can I do to not suck at golf?

Merry Christmas and all the best for 2017.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good afternoon AH

Sounds like you've been around the block a few times and what would you say to a young guy/gal who has been on the smaller tours, i.e., Canadian PGA, Latin America Tour, Symetra, etc., and they've Played well in spurts, gone mid-60's occasionally, been near the top of the board on Friday evening and made a lot of cuts however they haven't done enough to keep their respective Tour's card, their two year contract with their money men(or women :) ) is up and they are between a rock and a hard place, emotionally, mentally and financially.

It's easy for some psycho babble wanna be shrink to say "don't Play scared," "just go out and have fun," or "stay in the moment and take each shot as it comes" however you know better than most that those words are great in a book or some mental thread on some golf board however a little more difficult to execute when you're sitting there in your hotel room by yourself the night before potentially the biggest round/tourney of your life, sitting in a locker room ready to plant it in what could be your last chance to show that you have the goods for some time or standing behind your ball 228yds away from a tight pin on a par 5 and no matter what the shrink, book or your coach says, you need a 3 to stay in the game.

As a follow up on Madison's question, and as a Player who's been there done that, what advice would you give this young Man or Woman

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

AH, having never played in front of more than a few hundred people, this year I was the last person to not get into the US SENIOR OPEN. 1st alternate from Tuesday on. I was told by some insiders that they thought DALEY was not going to make it and that to be prepared to play with MIguel and WOOSEY. Thursday AM , That group had at least 15000 follow it around. I was trying to practice in front of the grand stand to get use to the people but for a guy from a small province this was way over mt head. How long did it take you to get use to the crowds and any tips , not that it will ever happen again but who knows.

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

I like the financial angle to this.

I won't ask career earnings but I'm guessing 7 mil.

Here's my questions

1 typical endorsement money paid each year ? In total from all

2 Is there a time limit on you getting back to making a great living from golf again or can you realistically try for another 10 years?

3 are golfers overpayed or underpaid compared to other sports in your opinion?

Thanks for your reply

I like the financial questions! That's something yu don't hear talked about much.

Richard and I have discussed having friends and family play pro sports and how regular Joe's think it sounds like so much money. 1.1 million for a win or 3 million a year in salary, but a career is much shorter in say football than as a COO. 8 or 9 seasons is a lifetime and all the money you'll ever make.

Looking forward to hearing what endorsement money is like for a mid-tier player.

I've always guessed NetJets must give a $2k credit for every tournament or something. Everybody has a NetJet patch somewhere ?

I like the financial questions! That's something yu don't hear talked about much.

Richard and I have discussed having friends and family play pro sports and how regular Joe's think it sounds like so much money. 1.1 million for a win or 3 million a year in salary, but a career is much shorter in say football than as a COO. 8 or 9 seasons is a lifetime and all the money you'll ever make.

Looking forward to hearing what endorsement money is like for a mid-tier player.

I've always guessed NetJets must give a $2k credit for every tournament or something. Everybody has a NetJet patch somewhere

On a gross basis, it would take someone making $100k a year 30 years to make $3 million. It is a lot of money. And a lot of people don't make $100k a year.

And a football player's career is short, but there are plenty of coaching opportunities, perhaps radio/TV opportunities after. A lot of them can make a significant living after football if they so choose.

A lot of athletes don't spend their money wisely or live beyond their means, but that doesn't mean they don't make a lot of money - it means they don't know how to manage their money.

And I'm not sure why "COO" was used as a barometer - average Joe's aren't COO's.

I've always guessed NetJets must give a $2k credit for every tournament or something. Everybody has a NetJet patch somewhere ��

On a gross basis, it would take someone making $100k a year 30 years to make $3 million. It is a lot of money. And a lot of people don't make $100k a year.

And a football player's career is short, but there are plenty of coaching opportunities, perhaps radio/TV opportunities after. A lot of them can make a significant living after football if they so choose.

A lot of athletes don't spend their money wisely or live beyond their means, but that doesn't mean they don't make a lot of money - it means they don't know how to manage their money.

And I'm not sure why "COO" was used as a barometer - average Joe's aren't COO's.

Excellent post Bro!!

My Tour Bud(those of you who I'm close to know of who'm I'm speaking :) ) has been on Tour since 1992, had his Big Boi card 17 of these past 24 years, has a victory over a Major Champion and legit Bad ***, at least in my book, and has career earnings of $4.9+ mill counting both the Nike/Nationwide/Web.com and The Show.

Granted, his Victory was before the 7-figure jackpots however he finished as high as #67-68(I forget) in the Fed Ex Cup final rankings and took home just over $800k for a runner-up finish, falling one shot short of a guy who birdied 18. WTF you gonna do, lol??

I hope you and Yours have a Blessed Christmas ? and Holiday Season Bro :)

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Sick as a dawg with the flu, watching the golf channel's tribute to the 'King' as I read posts here.

Long ago I got sick and tired of the irritating post attacks from the know it all/know nothing anonymous trolls that have driven so many from this site. For the most part, I now just lurk and read as golf and those who play the game as a career or for fun, fascinate me.

Love this thread. Thank you Aimnhit for starting it. Love reading the posts. Thank you Forged4ever, rangersgoalie,Nikegal, Matt J and everyone else who make things real and who give and share, Merry Christmas to all of you and your families. Forged4ever, you crusty old Bastrd :-) get well quick!

RAMONES-Here-Today-Gone-Tomorrow-LP.jpg

Lyrics

Oh oh oh,

Oh oh oh, I love ya X2

I do, I do,

Oh oh oh,

Oh oh oh, I love ya X2

I do, I do.

I told you why we just can't make it,

I want you still but I just can't take it,

The time has come we ought to break it,

Someone had to pay the price.

Oh oh oh oh,

Oh oh oh, it's over x2

It's true, it's true,

Oh oh oh oh,

Oh oh oh, it's over x2

It's true, It's true.

I think of times we were together,

As time went on it seemed forever,

Times have changed now things are better,

And I think of times we were together,

As time went on it seemed forever,

Times have changed now things are better,

Written by Dee Dee Ramone, Douglas Colvin, Jeffrey Hyman, Joey Ramone, John (ramone) Cummings, Johnny Ramone, Thomas Erdelyi, Tommy Ramone • Copyright © Warner/Chappell Music, In

This is AHs thread yet it seems dominated by a few posters who should probably be taking their conversations to PMs. Unless you have something directly related to the OPs posts or questions, please stop derailing this thread.

The stated purpose of the thread is for AH to post his journal/progress for people to get insights of the tour and ask questions.

Not the medical conditions and welfare of others. Please make it easier for others to follow and read by not interjecting sideways or side bar conversations. This should not be a look at me too thread. Please use the pm system or start another topic.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

Boys will be boys, and usually work it out amongst themselves, lol :) Hi AH. I'm sure that your thoughts on the mental side of Playing tour golf would be fascinating to both the average golfer but especially the Players on the board, both amateur and Pro. As a follow-up to Patrick's(Rangersgoalie) post, and with you emerging victorious where he did not, how did you deal with the anxiety, pressure in addition to the media circus that surrounds the PGA? Also, as a two part question, I reposted my post from above so I will be deleting it. As you obviously learned a long time ago, though most amateurs never learn, beautiful swings and machine like putting strokes aside, because on the line on Monday and Tuesday and during the Pro-Am, most of the guys/gals look like golf gods, yet approximately half will be going home or somewhere else on Friday evening.

What are your thoughts, strategies and how do you try to turn your round around if you are say, +4 at the turn on Thursday, you just don't "have it" and going sideways would be a God send, lol :) Thank you for responding and Merry Christmas :) Maddie

Weather hasn't been the best the day or two but I did manage to sneak out and hit a few.

I got my hands on the new epic today and it was nice!! My initial testing one the range had some good numbers on TM even though I think I might have to play around with some different shaft options. It seems to have a really solid feel with not a lot of 'tin' sound to it, which I love! My initial thoughts were it launches lower with a little more spin but again the shaft might not be the best for it or my head weight might be a little more heavier then my previous.

But overall is definitely worth doing some on course testing so hopefully I can get some good weather tomorrow and get out and really test on the course.

I noticed there a quite a few questions. Again I'm sorry if I don't get to all of them but I will try my best. But it probably won't be tomorrow after the family all has their after nap from devouring the delights of the Christmas spirit!

Best wishes

Merry Christmas

AH

Another golf question:

Do you prefer easier conditions with a race to go low, or a hard layout protecting par?

Matt

Thanks for the question. I'm one to prefer more of the harder set up. I'm a big lover of the short game so I think it really comes into play a lot more when it's not a shoot out!

Best wishes

AH

I like the financial angle to this.

I won't ask career earnings but I'm guessing 7 mil.

Here's my questions

1 typical endorsement money paid each year ? In total from all

2 Is there a time limit on you getting back to making a great living from golf again or can you realistically try for another 10 years?

3 are golfers overpayed or underpaid compared to other sports in your opinion?

Thanks for your reply

Thanks for the questions

I will try my best to answer this as it can fluctuate obviously quite a lot between player to player based on age, marketability and all that good stuff.

Minimum

If your a first year guy and not a 'superstar' 150k.

4-7 year guy always consistent 50-125 fed ex. 300k

Top 50 in the world 500 plus.

The NetJets you see basically is just a discount off the hourly rate. People who do this don't do their homework.

Hope this helps

AH

Boys will be boys, and usually work it out amongst themselves, lol :) Hi AH. I'm sure that your thoughts on the mental side of Playing tour golf would be fascinating to both the average golfer but especially the Players on the board, both amateur and Pro. As a follow-up to Patrick's(Rangersgoalie) post, and with you emerging victorious where he did not, how did you deal with the anxiety, pressure in addition to the media circus that surrounds the PGA? Also, as a two part question, I reposted my post from above so I will be deleting it. As you obviously learned a long time ago, though most amateurs never learn, beautiful swings and machine like putting strokes aside, because on the line on Monday and Tuesday and during the Pro-Am, most of the guys/gals look like golf gods, yet approximately half will be going home or somewhere else on Friday evening.

What are your thoughts, strategies and how do you try to turn your round around if you are say, +4 at the turn on Thursday, you just don't "have it" and going sideways would be a God send, lol :) Thank you for responding and Merry Christmas :) Maddie

Maddie and RP

Thanks for the note.

This problem happens to all of us more then we would like it!!

There a really two big questions to ask here. Are you playing really bad and it was kind of expected or are you playing good and a shock to the system??

Both are hard to deal with obviously but to be honest the first one is easier to manage. Reason being, your mind is already prepared for it. You are already really knuckling down and grinding on every shot. Your expectation of your short game is already hightened and ready. Obviously it's not the start you wanted but you still have some holes left to grind out, maybe a few par 5s that you can pick 1 or two back up on. Your always thinking 'ok let's just manage manage manage and get to the house with a chance tomorrow come out of the gates and find that game again after you spend the night on the range..

Now the other can be dangerous.. reason being is your frustration level that you weren't expecting. You thought this would be a walk in the park and your already picturing holding up that trophy at the end of week! Now this! Wait what. All of a sudden your booking your flights home and your making the turn.

This is really were experience really is needed. You find the less experienced guys more often then not will play really aggressive on the back side to make up the ground, maybe sometimes it will pay off but not offten, trust me!

The experienced guys will tend to play more like they are expecting it and really manage their way around the back 9. They won't get flusted or angry, just keep kicking along with patients and stick to the game plan. Nothing changes because they know it will turn at any minute, hit the nitrous button and their back in game. Might not be today but it will tomorrow. Patients.

All the guys know that it takes one good stretch at anytime of about 9 holes and your going to be in the with a shot come the back 9 on sun. The rest of time it's self management and waiting for the time to hit the brake or the nitrous.

Hope this what your after.

Best wishes

AH

Sorry not sure what happened there!

AH, having never played in front of more than a few hundred people, this year I was the last person to not get into the US SENIOR OPEN. 1st alternate from Tuesday on. I was told by some insiders that they thought DALEY was not going to make it and that to be prepared to play with MIguel and WOOSEY. Thursday AM , That group had at least 15000 follow it around. I was trying to practice in front of the grand stand to get use to the people but for a guy from a small province this was way over mt head. How long did it take you to get use to the crowds and any tips , not that it will ever happen again but who knows.

Man that sucks!! That would have been some experience. But hey, you never know!

Actually a tricky question and I'm not really sure how to answer it. I can't really ever remember being worried about the crowd when it's big. I do know one thing though, I would much rather be playing in front of 15k then 150. The reason being is you never really see anyone when it's that big. It's all one big blur and there's always a constant little noise in some way or the other..

But when there is only a few, things tend to jump out more at you. You see people move a lot more and you can hear that one or two people talking, not really sure why but I know which one I would rather play in front of.. but I'm sure everyone is different.

As much as we are all very greatful for the volunteers and we probably wouldn't be there without them, they are ones mostly that drives most of the guys mad. The movement of the quiet signs to late or the shhh in the backswing, moving around the back of the greens in their loud colored shirts is the biggest one..

Thanks

AH

Thanks AH, someday I hope to shoot 85 in front of 15000 just to say I did !!!, interesting take on it. Interesting different views , I once asked a buddy who has won on mini tours and seemed to always play his best when paired with former or current pga tour players if he would be nervous playing with Tiger. He looked at me like I was on another planet and said do you really think Tiger would give a hoot how I played so why worry about. Interesting take on it, I would guess same as crowds. Play good or bad no one really cares. Thanks merry xmas to all.

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

I see a few questions about nerves and coping with them. Obviously we can sit here and talk about how to breathe through your stomach properly, tricking the mind all that kind of stuff. But the best advice I can give anyone that I have learnt through my experiences is acceptance. Accept the fact you are nervous, let it come in don't fight it, acknowledge it and let it pass through. The moment you try to stop it is the moment it wins and bad things can happen. Once you have expected it and then the brain can move forward to the task at hand. You will obviously still be neverous but a couple of big breaths and dig into your pre shot you will be better off..

I will never forget the most nervous I have even been, I'm on the first tee and the crowd is going nuts, the place is electric. Probably 10k people. I'm on the first tee and can hardly put my glove the adrenaline so intense, had to get my caddy to pull my head cover off the driver I was that bad.. luckily my playing partner hit first who is a top 20 player in world. He steps up and I begin to use all my breathing techniques to calm myself down as much as I can. As I watch him put the ball on the tee or at least try and then grip the club, I could see he was feeling the same or if not was then what I was with nerves.. he proceeded to hit the tee shot well into the crap. Terrible swing. But at that point I thought to myself.. man he has more nerves then me right now. Once I understood that everyone, no matter what level,we all get them, I was good to go! Flush straight down the middle, I walked off the tee down the fairway thinking that that would probably be one of the most important lesson I will ever learn in my career about dealing with nerves weather it be winning or fighting for your life to keep your card somewhere or even winning your club championship.. always remember that there are another 100 guys or girls that are feeling exactly the same way you are.. it's just your choice now how to accept it, use it and beat them!

AH

For all you guys who don't believe this is S.B, I can tell you that if he can answer this question then he is the real deal.

When you won at Paradise Palms back in the day, you hit an incredible shot on the last hole, do you remember it?

I was sitting by the green and I still remember it well.

Merry Christmas everyone ?