2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Should Topic Title Be: Tiger Is Done, or Is Tiger Done?

DrSchteeve

I don't understand what the panic is about. He just put a thumpin on 4 professional golfers Thursday.

Callaway 816 DBD 9 w/Tour AD TP 6S
XHOT2 4W w/Tour Green 75S
Xhot 2 PRO 23 hybrid w/AD DI 95S
Apex 20 hybrid with AD Di 95S
MP18 Fli Hi 2 iron w AD DI 95S
MP18 SC 5 and 6 iron with PXLZ 6.0
MP18 PW-7 irons with PXLZ 6.0
S18 Wedges 52 and 58 Gunmetal with PXLZ 6.0
Bettinardi QB6 putter

Golf Channel showed Tiger this morning playing in the pro-am at Dubai and he looked tired walking around. Plus more left right shots. Just a small sample of the day but I can't imagine flying 17 hours and trying to play golf after all he has been through the last 18 months. He knows his body and what he is trying to accomplish, but I would have sat out this week and ramped up the tourneys from here. But.....he didn't ask for my advice. I would have given it to him free too. ;)

Also threw a club down as well. He really seemed to be struggling which is a shame. Forcing himself to do something his back can't really do is not healthy or worth it. You can see in his eyes the anger he has for some of the shots he's hitting.

He needs more rehab time I think, this schedule might do more harm than good.

I have to think that Tiger is chasing money. He could have left San Diego, buzzed over to Phoenix, practiced in private out at Whisper Rock and played the WM. Instead, he flies 17 hours and 12 time zones to play for an appearance fee. Now, however he plays in Dubai, he has to repeat the 17-12 schedule to get back to the states and try to get ready for LA. He may get his game back, but I doubt this is a good plan.

I wonder if Tiger is as flush as most think he is. Yachts, expensive home. Perhaps he had to pay off some of the skanks to keep their stories out of the magazines.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I wonder if Tiger is as flush as most think he is. Yachts, expensive home. Perhaps he had to pay off some of the skanks to keep their stories out of the magazines.

Or the stories of managers laundering or pissing away money on poor investments. Fred Taylor springs to mind, when his childhood friend embezzled all of his rookie contract.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

People say that he's coming back from a year out and it will take time but remember that if he's returning to 2015 levels, then that was probably the worst year of Tiger's career, where he couldn't hit a fairway and chunked every chip. Then he didn't do much in 2014 either.

To get back to somewhere near his best, he'd have to get back to 2013 levels, but that's a long time ago in sports, back then his playing partner Fitzpatrick and Justin Thomas were promising amateurs, now they're multiple Tour winners.

I have no idea what level he will get to. None of us do. But the 2015 levels you are referring to was when his health-back-was already an issue. He did not go from winning 5 times in 2013 to crap in 2014 and 2015 as a healthy player. As many of us have repeatedly said, give it a few months and see if he is healthy. If yes he will do well. If not ya'all can get out your shovels and pitchforks. :)

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

I know nothing of backs and he should know what he can do, but boy I would have thought if he warmed up on the range and was feeling any pain at all he'd have to surrender right there and see what next week brings. Just one hole, but he looks markedly different from last week. Tough to watch just one hole, though.

Back pain is weird, it comes & goes, it's High in the Neck/Shoulders & sometimes low. In my case it progressed so slowly over a 3 years period I didn't realize I had major issues until it hurt to simply get outta bed, walk, or turn my neck 45 degrees.

I was lucky though, no nerve damage........I didn't go for surgery, so I opted to go the Chiropractor route (Got a good one) & I started doing Yoga.

5 Months later I'm lifting weights 2-3 Days a week & doing Yoga 2-3 Days a week. I'm also golfing again & playing very well.

I don't know the specifics of Tigers issues but I hope he considers more "non invasive" treatment. Sometimes they can work wonders! When they cut in & work on one's spine numerous time it's NEVER a good thing!

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S 
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 34.5"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

Dubai today no birdies and 7 dropped shots. He will think hard and call it a day soon.

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 5R

Mizuno ST 190 TS 3 wood Fujikura Atmos 6 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
4 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Odyssey DFX Double Wide

Man it's painful to watch. He's a shadow of his former self. Like so many others, I believe a motivated, healthy Tiger is great for the game. And if there's no pain like he says, it would be great to see him swing like he believed that. He's got the weakest, swipey driver swing we've seen on tour. He'd be better off just hitting that 3 wood all day. Lets hope the Friday round is under par so that there is at least marked improvement to take forward.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-P C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  47°, 52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Studio Select Newport 2.6
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

It's too early to say that Tiger is finished or that he will not be competitive ever again. He needs to play tournaments, not friendly matches and worst ball games with himself. My concern is the way he's getting back. Even flying in one of the Emirate suites, it's still 17 hours. Sleep 8 hours, if that's possible on an airplane, and that leaves 9 hours sitting around. He could stroll around, I'm sure he did, but it's still 9 hours in a restricted space. Do the easy stuff first, then work into a more complex schedule. He has to reprise the 17 hour ordeal to get home, he'll be wiped out for a few days, then will have a week to really work to get ready for LA. This cannot be a solid plan for a recuperating player.

Or the stories of managers laundering or pissing away money on poor investments. Fred Taylor springs to mind, when his childhood friend embezzled all of his rookie contract.

Seems very unlikely to me.

There are more than a few stories like that in pro sports, but for Tiger to be in that situation is a whole other level.

By all accounts, he's made more than a billion dollars. At his peak, he was making more in a few months than Taylor made in his entire career.

And there's no indication he's got the big "payroll" of family and friends that is usually at the root of these stories.

No one watching that can think "that could have been a good round if he had just putted better". He had 33 putts because he never put the ball close to the hole, and put many shots in places missing the green that made up and down impossible.

It looked like he was in pain with every step, and his swing was mostly a weird flailing of the arms with the same stuck body rotation (as in limited). First tee ball was 70 yards offline left, then there were the usual right misses creating two way miss issues. I agree that round wasn't bad: it was horrible. Painful to watch, and obviously painful both physically and mentally for Tiger.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

No one watching that can think "that could have been a good round if he had just putted better". He had 33 putts because he never put the ball close to the hole, and put many shots in places missing the green that made up and down impossible.

It looked like he was in pain with every step, and his swing was mostly a weird flailing of the arms with the same stuck body rotation (as in limited). First tee ball was 70 yards offline left, then there were the usual right misses creating two way miss issues. I agree that round wasn't bad: it was horrible. Painful to watch, and obviously painful both physically and mentally for Tiger.

Well, that's just nitpicking, isn't it?

Spinal-Tap-Cover.png

Tiger's game looks pretty iffy, esp. the putting.

With all the work he's had done on his back, more than likely he's going to have a dirty looking swing for the rest of his life. I still think IF he can stay healthy he'll figure out how to score again.

NO ONE in the history of the game WAS better at scoring with a B-/C+ game then Tiger.

The problem is he's got his C/C- game right now.

Ping g430max 10k 10.5*- rogue white 130 60tx
sim2ti 15* - speeder evo 3 757x
ping g425 20.5* - rogue 125 80tx
4-gw ap1 jpx921 hm/hm pro - 120x1’s
 sm5 56.10 - s400ti
sm8 60m - s400ti
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

The guy hit 10/14 fairways . The issue was poor putting (33 officially but more from the fringe) 33 putts when you miss 7 greens

Should be having 25 putts at that level with that many GIR for a 69 without good iron play . Needs to hit irons better of course but the putter was the main issue today

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

One thing is for sure, I would've never thought leading up to Tiger's 20th anniversary of his first Master's win that we would see him in this shape. With his game, his personal life, and his body. Never in a million years

Self-inflicted wounds + steroids = now ranked #666 in the world. :russian_roulette:

Tiger, go back to Butch Harmon. Please!

Thanks, but I'll pass. best, Butch

The guy has played 3 rounds of golf in 'real' PGA events (I don't count the Hero) since returning from over a year off of competitive golf and from dealing with basically 3 years of serious back problems. I think everyone needs to hit the pause button.

The expectations for Tiger should have been exactly what he is doing. Making the cut would have been an achievement. Look at how long it has taken a guy like Graham Deleat to come back from a similar issue (though his wasn't as bad a Tiger's) and Deleat is what? 10 years younger?

Yes, Tiger is a shell of himself. He's 40 years old and has been playing on tour for over 20 years. The game has changed, the talent he's competing against has changed, and he's old. Even if healthy, he would be a shell of himself. Phil Mickelson is a shell of himself.

If Tiger can stay healthy, I firmly believe he gets competitive again. At 40 years old, there was no way he's going to dominate the game even without a back issue. But I firmly believe if he gets healthy he can compete.

Expectations for a 40 year old coming back from multiple major back surgeries were way too high. 3 rounds after injury is also not nearly enough to write the book on him.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5