Steven Bowditch Arrested for DUI in Arizona

Now "Extreme DUI" is a thing? Hope he can stay in the country. Not sure what this does to his visa status.

Article says it is .15 or more blood alcohol level within 2 hours of arrest. Fines and punishment are more severe.

He was over .20.....freaking hammered.

And he shot 74 today!! Wow.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone else wondering how he went out and still shot 74 today? Surprised he didn't WD this morning...

I have known a few alcoholics and they could party all the time and appear fine in public. Rarely stumbling drunk ... according to the report, he was over .20.

That's a lot of booze ....

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Now "Extreme DUI" is a thing? Hope he can stay in the country. Not sure what this does to his visa status.

Article says it is .15 or more blood alcohol level within 2 hours of arrest. Fines and punishment are more severe.

PPSSSSSSHHHHHHT Thats nothing! John Daly did that every weekend for years!

Driver: Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X LZ 5.5
FWY: Callaway BB 3WD / BB H4 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
Wedges: Mizuno T7 52*, 58*
Putter: Odyssey MXM Versa 1

PPSSSSSSHHHHHHT Thats nothing! John Daly did that every weekend for years!

Daly would have shot 68.

Taylormade SIM 8* - Matrix OZIK MFS Black Tie 70X
Taylormade M5 15* - Aldila Black Mamba 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* - Fuji Motore Speeder 8.3X
Taylormade P790 4-PW - Project X 7.0
Taylormade Hi Toe 52* and 58* - KBS $-Taper 125 S+ Black
Taylormade Ardmore 2 35" Super Stroke Claw 1.0

Is anyone else wondering how he went out and still shot 74 today? Surprised he didn't WD this morning...

"Tiger inadvertently stumbled upon a way to break 75 "

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

still made his tee time.... wow......

Stupid.

I've over indulged, but I don't drive. I've also played the next day...batchelor parties and such. I think I'd have withdrawn if I were him.

Tsr2 8 or Tsi3 9 with Whiteboard 73 stiff Rombax 7z08
Titleist 910f 15 diamana whiteboard 83 stiff

titleist 818h2 with atmos stiff
titleist 710 mb 4-pw or Mizuno 919 Tour 4-pw or....
Vokey 52,56
Lajosi dd201 about 20 other putters

So will he face jail time in AZ? Or is it get a good lawyer drop $15K, get it dropped to wet and reckless and do probation?

Expensive lawyers fix everything. First offense too will impact the severity of penalties. So my prediction is he will at most have to do some trash pick up duties on the Arizona highway. LOL

Driver: Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X LZ 5.5
FWY: Callaway BB 3WD / BB H4 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
Wedges: Mizuno T7 52*, 58*
Putter: Odyssey MXM Versa 1

I don't feel sorry for him and neither should anyone else. This isn't a redemption story or a "hopefully he makes this a positive" story....Driving that drunk is a complete disregard for society and the people in it. He's lucky he didn't kill anyone, and the people close to where he was driving are lucky they are alive

If you are unfortunate enough to know, or sadly have known, a victim of drunk driving you don't feel bad for guys who do this

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

This is a shame, joking aside. I'm surprised that Richard made light of it and I'm sure that his meds played into it as he had an eye surgery today and he is, well, goofier and more medicated than usual, lol. The reason I say that is that he was hit by a drunk driver in his senior summer in college when the man jumped the curb and came straight at Richard and his then GF as they were walking across campus from her dorm to his fraternity house. He shoved her off to the side and tried to jump up on the hood but the car bumper caught his legs, flipped him totally over the car and he landed on his head/face. His father said that he was in surgery for almost 9 hours and in a medically induced coma for four days to allow the swelling to go down on his brain. He can speak to his injuries but two sets of surgeons, one an eye surgeon and the other two to put his jaw and cheek bones back together. This is the first incident when Richard speaks of cheating death twice. His father said that the doctors could not believe that he survived and attributed it to his being in the condition that he was at the time from football and he had signed a contract to try out with the Detroit Lions but could not pass a physical, with even his god-father, a renowned neurosurgeon, telling him his career was over. As Jeff said, thank God Steve did not injure/kill anyone else. Like others, I hope the Steven gets whatever assistance that he needs as it sounds like he has a beautiful wife and little baby. So sad. Madison

AZ doesn't play around. Penalty for first offense "extreme DUI":

First offense mandatory minimum 30 days jail and no days can be suspended* (this means you must serve all 30 days in jail – day for day)

Pay a $2,500.00 fine

Must attend alcohol classes

One (1) year of an IID being attached to your steering wheel after all license suspensions are completed (at a cost of $1,500).

Once you start your car, you must then continue to blow into the device every 15 minutes to keep your car’s ignition on!

Lastly, a judge may order a person convicted not to consume alcohol for a period of thirty days or more by requiring them to wear a continuous alcohol monitoring device on their ankle, or blowing twice daily into a telephonic breath testing device.

The court, in its discretion, may also extend this period of continuous alcohol monitoring.

still made his tee time.... wow......

Stupid.

I've over indulged, but I don't drive. I've also played the next day...batchelor parties and such. I think I'd have withdrawn if I were him.

same here..... i was actually almost killed by a drunk driver. but i don't think it was in his best interest to play today

Ouch! Not good to see but the potential consequences for other road users mean I don't feel that sorry for him.

What sort of punishment is there for this sort of thing in Arizona?

Arizona, and particularly Phoenix/Scottsdale is extremely strict when it comes to DUI. IIRC it's an automatic seven days in what they call "tent city" in the Maricopa County jail.

Yes, AZ is among the stiffest with penalties for DUI.

First offense mandatory minimum 30 days jail and no days can be suspended* (this means you must serve all 30 days in jail – day for day)

Pay a $2,500.00 fine

One (1) year of an IID being attached to your steering wheel after all license suspensions are completed (at a cost of $1,500).

Once you start your car, you must then continue to blow into the device every 15 minutes to keep your car's ignition on!

Lastly, a judge may order a person convicted not to consume alcohol for a period of thirty days or more by requiring them to wear a continuous alcohol monitoring device on their ankle, or blowing twice daily into a telephonic breath testing device.

The court, in its discretion, may also extend this period of continuous alcohol monitoring.

His best hope is to plea out.

Sad to see. Bowditch is a dude who's struggled with a lot, not just his golf game, and you never know what someone is going through. Rooting for him in more ways than one.

I think Arizona is the only state that differentiates an "Extreme" DUI. BAC above .15 as I understand it.

I'm only a law student and definitely not a lawyer yet, but to my knowledge there are several states with an extreme DUI statute.

I don't feel sorry for him and neither should anyone else. This isn't a redemption story or a "hopefully he makes this a positive" story....Driving that drunk is a complete disregard for society and the people in it. He's lucky he didn't kill anyone, and the people close to where he was driving are lucky they are alive

If you are unfortunate enough to know, or sadly have known, a victim of drunk driving you don't feel bad for guys who do this

Definitely do not feel sorry for him per se but he is a guy who has struggled with a lot of personal problems and likewise, if you are unfortunate to have known someone who dealt with or dealt with these types of things yourself, you know how it can be. You are not yourself and make a lot of bad, bad decisions, and they can snowball and lead to more and bigger problems.

That being said, you're right, he doesn't deserve leniency and was lucky he didn't kill anyone.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Driver
TaylorMade 2007 Burner 18* Fairway Wood
Titleist 816H1 23* Hybrid
Callaway Apex 19 Smoke Irons 5-PW
Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges 50* 54* 58*
Callaway PM Grind 19 64* Wedge
Titleist Scotty Cameron California Series Fastback

You are correct, of course, but just because we don't feel bad for them, doesn't mean we can't reserve some hope for them.

Not pity, necessarily, but hope.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Something tells me it's a common thing for him. By all accounts he seems to be a nice guy but man has he got some issues to work out. His career is teetering on the edge and his personal life doesn't seem much more stable. Sad situation.

Sad to see. Bowditch is a dude who's struggled with a lot, not just his golf game, and you never know what someone is going through. Rooting for him in more ways than one.

I think Arizona is the only state that differentiates an "Extreme" DUI. BAC above .15 as I understand it.

I'm only a law student and definitely not a lawyer yet, but to my knowledge there are several states with an extreme DUI statute.

Definitely do not feel sorry for him per se but he is a guy who has struggled with a lot of personal problems and likewise, if you are unfortunate to have known someone who dealt with or dealt with these types of things yourself, you know how it can be. You are not yourself and make a lot of bad, bad decisions, and they can snowball and lead to more and bigger problems.

That being said, you're right, he doesn't deserve leniency and was lucky he didn't kill anyone.

We've all known one or two - the guy with no 'OFF' switch. Bad combination to have an alcohol problem and be on the road alone as a struggling tour pro. I hope he gets the help he needs before it's too late.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Pay a $2,500.00 fine

Once you start your car, you must then continue to blow into the device every 15 minutes to keep your car’s ignition on!

I have no idea what I'm talking about but how can AZ enforce some of those penalties if someone didn't live in that state?

This sort of thing always makes me feel ill. I've seen too many tragedies that resulted from DUI. Hard to feel pity for those who endanger everyone on the road themselves included.

I sincerely hope that something positive can come out of it. Perhaps a wake-up call for him and he can get some help. Glad he didn't hurt anyone but really hope he comes to the realization that he was lucky this time.

As others have said, just sad all the way around.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Im surprised he drank that much. Isn't he usually done after 2 rounds?

Damn, if we don't hear from AH for a while, that confirms it....

Ava said "hi" ��

Have a nice weekend Bro����

Hi Ava! Its me, Kyman! Your favorite poster (other than RP and your mom of course) I hope you have a great weekend. Listen to your mom and be a good girl!

Hi KYMs :) Ava read your post and is excited, lol. She only uses emoticons and is on my iPad so I hope that you can read her emoticons to you below. She told Richard that she was right and your name was "Kyman," hahaha. Have a nice evening :) Fondly, Madison

????????‍??‍????️?️♀️

If he was passed out in his truck it means he wasn't driving so I don't understand the DUI.

Don't know about Az but here in Florida if you are sitting in the driver's seat with the engine off but have access to the keys, it's a DUI. One of our FF came out of a bar after having a few too many. It was hot. And he had spent all of his money so no bux for a cab. Add all of this to the time of morning, like 3 am, and it all added up to just getting into his car, cranking it up to run the A/C, and sleeping it off. He even laid down in the backseat.

Tampa Police Officer comes along and you know the rest of the story. Got it pled down to reckless endangerment - paid a fine and got some points.

Another guy I know got what is called a "Buzzed Driving" DUI. He had partied all night and took an Uber home. Like 8 hours later he went with his buddy to get his car. As he is leaving he pulls out of the bar parking lot and gets pulled over. Still blew enough to be DUI. (He had a CDL and the legal limit here in Florida is .02 with that) Lost his CDL, points on his license, and all sorts of other issues. Kept his job (at another FD) but cannot drive city equipment for 7 years total until it gets expunged because enough time has lapsed.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

If he was passed out in his truck it means he wasn't driving so I don't understand the DUI.

It all depends on if he had the keys in the ignition at the time they found him. He might not have and the cops just wanted to make a big deal about it. If that's the case, his lawyer will try to get him off with no time being served or anything. If he did but wasn't actually driving, he will still probably get off. Although, they drew his blood so they probably found the controlled substance as well. I guess we'll see how the judge feels about that.

Nicholas Pereira
Photographer
[url="http://www.instagram.com/realnickpereira"][media]http://www.instagram.com/realnickpereira[/media][/url]