2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Steven Bowditch Arrested for DUI in Arizona

I don't even feel remotely bad for the guy. It's a totally avoidable situation and what he did is completely reckless and irresponsible.

As for the public vs private notion. He is an entertainer, he is a public figure. He signed up for this. I don't feel remotely bad for the world knowing he has a DUI.

He could have gotten a ride home in no more than 10 minutes with a few clicks of a button... a little thing called Uber.

He did this to himself. Not the bartender. Not the bar patrons. I'm sure dozens of people were legally drunk. I bet the majority of them took an Uber or had a friend drive. He was one of the minority who made the hedious decision to drive hammered. It's his fault and no one else's. Anyone sticking up for him in anyway is simply being ignorant.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry has the thread swerved to where we're the bad guys now for expecting someone to not put our lives in danger? I figured that would happen around page 5-6.

Sympathy starting to build for him.... Slowly, slowly.... Will check back in tomorrow when he's a hero for not conforming

If being sympathetic to someone who has battled alcoholism and depression puts me in the wrong here then screw it I'll own it. Doesn't mean I can't think he royally f'd up too.

Hopefully people are able to separate those things.

He deserves the same sympathy as someone who's battled alcoholism and depression, and then fires a loaded gun into a crowd

Agree 100%. It doesn't matter what kind of horrible things have happened to a person; it doesn't excuse engaging in illegal behaviour that causes an inexcusable amount of deaths and injuries. Bowditch deserves any punishment he gets, no matter how good of a guy he is or what he's struggling with. If his mind was so full before drinking, maybe he shouldn't have been driving in the first place.

For the life of me I don't understand how drunk drivers get their licenses back so quickly after an offense. I hope it becomes law soon that all vehicles are equipped with systems to detect blood alcohol levels and don't start if the limit is exceeded. Drunk driving is such a horrible, horrible problem.

I don't see anyone arguing otherwise, he absolutely deserves to be prosecuted under the law. He f'd up he should be punished but I still feel bad for someone falling back into the demons that plagued him earlier in their life.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Sorry has the thread swerved to where we're the bad guys now for expecting someone to not put our lives in danger? I figured that would happen around page 5-6.

Sympathy starting to build for him.... Slowly, slowly.... Will check back in tomorrow when he's a hero for not conforming

If being sympathetic to someone who has battled alcoholism and depression puts me in the wrong here then screw it I'll own it. Doesn't mean I can't think he royally f'd up too.

Hopefully people are able to separate those things.

He deserves the same sympathy as someone who's battled alcoholism and depression, and then fires a loaded gun into a crowd

Agree 100%. It doesn't matter what kind of horrible things have happened to a person; it doesn't excuse engaging in illegal behaviour that causes an inexcusable amount of deaths and injuries. Bowditch deserves any punishment he gets, no matter how good of a guy he is or what he's struggling with. If his mind was so full before drinking, maybe he shouldn't have been driving in the first place.

For the life of me I don't understand how drunk drivers get their licenses back so quickly after an offense. I hope it becomes law soon that all vehicles are equipped with systems to detect blood alcohol levels and don't start if the limit is exceeded. Drunk driving is such a horrible, horrible problem.

I don't see anyone arguing otherwise, he absolutely deserves to be prosecuted under the law. He f'd up he should be punished but I still feel bad for someone falling back into the demons that plagued him earlier in their life.

Precisely.

Some disconnect here that people who are struck by his deep struggles are in any way sympathetic about what he did or think he deserves any special treatment i the case.

Alcoholism is a disease. A peculiar mental condition. What most of you don't quite understand is that if SB is, in fact, truly alcoholic he doesn't have a choice. Consequences don't factor in.... legal or otherwise. Real alcoholics end up going down 1 of 3 roads: sober up, get institutionilzed, or die. Not a matter of if.... just when.

The mans a talented professional athlete and just because he's a professional golfer that doesn't exclude him from the same outcomes of street drunks. If he's an alcoholic( not saying he is) nobody should sympathize with his choices, but try to understand it's a sickness. Car wrecks, getting incarcerated, losing families.... are all par for the course and often have to happen before they have moments of clarity and can see themselves for what they are.

Pray for the man.

I don't think people are doubting that alcoholism is a disease. It's the driving part that's causing outrage. People have diseases that cause blindness. There's a reason they don't drive. Being human doesn't give you the right to drive.

I'm happy to admit that describing alcoholism as a disease gives me pause.

I would also add that describing alcoholism or any addictive behavior as either "disease" OR "choice" more than a little reductionistic and fairly unhelpful to the addict and their support system (if they have one).

In a certain sense the "disease" only model of addiction takes the idea of volition almost completely out of the picture. If addictive behavior is only a symptom of the disease, then with whom does responsibility lie?

OTOH, the "choice" only category of addictive behavior makes the behavior or actions seem as if it is 50/50 proposition. And any addict or recovering addict will tell you that pursuing or not pursuing a perceived "good" (substance) is not a 50/50 proposition. I've found it helpful to think of addiction and addictive behavior in terms of "habit," which itself is a very complex category for trying to understanding human action.

Ping g430max 10k 10.5*- rogue white 130 60tx
sim2ti 15* - speeder evo 3 757x
ping g425 20.5* - rogue 125 80tx
4-gw ap1 jpx921 hm/hm pro - 120x1’s
 sm5 56.10 - s400ti
sm8 60m - s400ti
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

Alcoholism is a disease. A peculiar mental condition. What most of you don't quite understand is that if SB is, in fact, truly alcoholic he doesn't have a choice. Consequences don't factor in.... legal or otherwise. Real alcoholics end up going down 1 of 3 roads: sober up, get institutionilzed, or die. Not a matter of if.... just when.

The mans a talented professional athlete and just because he's a professional golfer that doesn't exclude him from the same outcomes of street drunks. If he's an alcoholic( not saying he is) nobody should sympathize with his choices, but try to understand it's a sickness. Car wrecks, getting incarcerated, losing families.... are all par for the course and often have to happen before they have moments of clarity and can see themselves for what they are.

Pray for the man.

I don't think people are doubting that alcoholism is a disease. It's the driving part that's causing outrage. People have diseases that cause blindness. There's a reason they don't drive. Being human doesn't give you the right to drive.

I'm happy to admit that describing alcoholism as a disease gives me pause.

I would also add that describing alcoholism or any addictive behavior as either "disease" OR "choice" more than a little reductionistic and fairly unhelpful to the addict and their support system (if they have one).

In a certain sense the "disease" only model of addiction takes the idea of volition almost completely out of the picture. If addictive behavior is only a symptom of the disease, then with whom does responsibility lie?

OTOH, the "choice" only category of addictive behavior makes the behavior or actions seem as if it is 50/50 proposition. And any addict or recovering addict will tell you that pursuing or not pursuing a perceived "good" (substance) is not a 50/50 proposition. I've found it helpful to think of addiction and addictive behavior in terms of "habit," which itself is a very complex category for trying to understanding human action.

Im watching

Narcos!

Theres an episopde where they show rats and how cocaine affects them. Once they do coke, they prefer it to anything, sex, food, til they die.

We are talking about *chemical* dependency.

Extreme example..if you took heroin, youd be a addict quickly. I dont think "habit" would have anything to do woth it. Youd have no choice in the mattter.

Pray for the man.

Of course bro, it's outrageous. What I said is, alcoholics don't make rational decisions. If they did, they would stop drinking as soon as they started seeing negative consequences. The disease is literally the definition of insanity.

I don't even feel remotely bad for the guy. It's a totally avoidable situation and what he did is completely reckless and irresponsible.

As for the public vs private notion. He is an entertainer, he is a public figure. He signed up for this. I don't feel remotely bad for the world knowing he has a DUI.

He could have gotten a ride home in no more than 10 minutes with a few clicks of a button... a little thing called Uber.

He did this to himself. Not the bartender. Not the bar patrons. I'm sure dozens of people were legally drunk. I bet the majority of them took an Uber or had a friend drive. He was one of the minority who made the hedious decision to drive hammered. It's his fault and no one else's.

Completely agree with this statement

Who says it is impossible to have concern over someone struggling with issues (self-inflicted or otherwise) without excusing irresponsible and illegal behavior? In my career, I have been required to learn how to exercise discretion in order to protect public safety by balancing treatment and control of offenders, so perhaps my perspective differs from some that do not have similar experience. Personally, I do not excuse or condone the behavior in any way, shape, or form just simply hope Bowditch accepts needed help, faces legal consequences, and learns from experience so doesn't harm others or himself in future.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

He did this to himself. Not the bartender. Not the bar patrons. I'm sure dozens of people were legally drunk. I bet the majority of them took an Uber or had a friend drive. He was one of the minority who made the hedious decision to drive hammered. It's his fault and no one else's.

Oh ... the plot thickens. :)

Exactly. But that's society today in a nutshell. It never comes down to personal responsibility anymore...he drank too much and got into a car and luckily only got a dui.

There was a case that got crazy media attention in Canada last year, a very wealthy 30-something guy got off his private jet so drunk he couldn't walk according to witnesses, and then got into a Grand Cherokee SRT and drove it like 120km/hr through an intersection and killed 4 people including kids. At his trial they tried to say what a great guy he was and he'd just made a mistake.

I mean a mistake is forgetting to lock your door. Or not carrying the 1 when doing math. Heck even blowing .08 is different than blowing .20. We're not talking having an extra half-glass of wine at dinner. We're talking not even being able to walk or stay conscious

people that die in drunk driving accidents....They stay dead. They don't get a second chance. Their families don't get do-overs.

Why we look at things like this any differently than a guy shooting a gun randomly into a crowd, or throwing a pipe bomb through a house window during dinner time....i don't understand. When you get into a car and can't even stay conscious, anyone on those roads is lucky to be alive today

There is a difference between sympathy and empathy

I have zero sympathy for an individual who gets behind the wheel of a vehicle impaired-

Absolutely none-

You wanna play, you gotta pay

Steve Bowditch will pay, and pay dearly....

If someone can say that they have never ever gotten behind the wheel while impaired, on any substance, then they can have at it

But this being the land of fake avatars and usernames, I am skeptical of a grown *** man who tells me that this has never happened one single time.

Some I would believe if they told me this however one thing that I've found in my 38 years as an adult and that is that he/she who protests the loudest and spews the most judgememtal venom is usually full of ....

However this medium suits these individuals to a tee, what with the fake avatars, names and the safety and anonymity of a keyboard and screen, lmao

Have you had a family member, loved one or Dear Friend injured or killed by an impaired driver?

I'll give ya the answer before you ask the question-

To ME, yea, it matters

Stay Well,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

He did this to himself. Not the bartender. Not the bar patrons. I'm sure dozens of people were legally drunk. I bet the majority of them took an Uber or had a friend drive. He was one of the minority who made the hedious decision to drive hammered. It's his fault and no one else's. Anyone sticking up for him in anyway is simply being ignorant.

Best post in the thread!!

Very Nicely Played Bro?

Have a great weekend

All the Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I thought I heard he was seeing S Hamilton near Atlanta for his game? If that guy could help Badds I'm sure Bowditch can be helped as well. Unfortunately I know of a man that lost his game from Tour level and ultimately took his own life. There is no excuse for drinking and driving...glad nobody was hurt and hopefully dude will get help. Once a man loses his family..which is everything really...ugh...stomach hurts.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

I'm glad that you responded!!

Fairways Greens & Pins My Friend

RP

Listen man, I'm all for cutting off people when they've had too much but you can't blame the bartender for someone else getting a DUI. How is it someone elses fault that no one was there with him? The only person at fault here is Bowdo for making the poor decision he made. Yeah, it hurts but it's the truth. The worst part about it is he was probably too sauced to even make the right decision and call for a ride.

Most people are aware of those Who are Impaired within the Bar, I guess if i was there, seeing his Condition, I would have taken the chance to Stop him from leaving the Bar...Not My Business but my responsibility to make the right choice for him and the Public so Not to Injure anyone driving under the Influence.

"End Of Story"

how dare you say you'd intervene in a man potentially getting a DUI!! That's his business and it's personal! Shame on you

I'm NOT the Media...

Yes I would Intervene cuz maybe I have Bigger Ballzzz than you if I see someone endangering Himself or Others...

yikes that hurt. So if I beat somebody up so bad in the bar that they die, am I at fault for killing them? or is a bystander at fault for not stopping me?

No you are not at fault-

We as a society are!!!

It takes a village Bro?

Have a great weekend, don't kill anyone and keep the Faith?

All the Best,

RP

I wrote a long winded post. Deleted it.

So, I trimmed it down to this.

Drinking and driving is a choice.

Being depressed is not.

Being an alcoholic is not. ( If he is ).

I'm not excusing his DWI. Whatever the judge gives him. He earned it.

Getting help with his depression is a must. Having it in the papers and on the news? That's part of his profession. That sucks for his family though.

Im surprised he drank that much. Isn't he usually done after 2 rounds?

Made me laugh out loud! Hope the shoulder is doing better!

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Exactly. But that's society today in a nutshell. It never comes down to personal responsibility anymore...he drank too much and got into a car and luckily only got a dui.

There was a case that got crazy media attention in Canada last year, a very wealthy 30-something guy got off his private jet so drunk he couldn't walk according to witnesses, and then got into a Grand Cherokee SRT and drove it like 120km/hr through an intersection and killed 4 people including kids. At his trial they tried to say what a great guy he was and he'd just made a mistake.

I mean a mistake is forgetting to lock your door. Or not carrying the 1 when doing math. Heck even blowing .08 is different than blowing .20. We're not talking having an extra half-glass of wine at dinner. We're talking not even being able to walk or stay conscious

people that die in drunk driving accidents....They stay dead. They don't get a second chance. Their families don't get do-overs.

Why we look at things like this any differently than a guy shooting a gun randomly into a crowd, or throwing a pipe bomb through a house window during dinner time....i don't understand. When you get into a car and can't even stay conscious, anyone on those roads is lucky to be alive today

I have zero sympathy for an individual who gets behind the wheel of a vehicle impaired-

Absolutely none-

If someone can say that they have never ever gotten behind the wheel while impaired, on any substance, then they can have at it

But this being the land of fake avatars and usernames, I am skeptical of a grown *** man who tells me that this has never happened one single time.

Some I would believe if they told me this however one thing that I've found in my 38 years as an adult and that is that he/she who protests the loudest and spews the most judgememtal venom is usually full of ....

However this medium suits these individuals to a tee, what with the fake avatars, names and the safety and anonymity of a keyboard and screen, lmao

Have you had a family member, loved one or Dear Friend injured or killed by an impaired driver?

To ME, yea, it matters

Stay Well,

RP

I'm not passionately talking about transgender bathroom laws here. We're talking about something pretty serious, Impaired driving kills more people in the US than acts of terrorism do, and people are i would say, somewhat passionate about the latter these days. So i don't think being passionately opposed to it is evidence of some duplicitous life where i engage in drunken street races around Montreal while maintaining a squeaky clean image on a golf website. I'm just passionate about it because it kills a lot of people, yes some of which i have known personally, but as this is an anonymous forum i will hide behind my avatar and spare you the details of those incidents

As i posted, there's also a difference (to me, not always to the law) between being at .09 and being at .20. One of them is an extra glass of wine, one of them is you can't walk. My guess is the majority of people have done the first but not the second.

Now, if you decide to take my trivializing of transgender bathroom laws as evidence that i did things in a Bangkok bathroom that i now regret, well you might be on to something on that one

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Absolutely none-

To ME, yea, it matters

Stay Well,

RP

I'm not passionately talking about transgender bathroom laws here. We're talking about something pretty serious, Impaired driving kills more people in the US than acts of terrorism do, and people are i would say, somewhat passionate about the latter these days. So i don't think being passionately opposed to it is evidence of some duplicitous life where i engage in drunken street races around Montreal while maintaining a squeaky clean image on a golf website. I'm just passionate about it because it kills a lot of people, yes some of which i have known personally, but as this is an anonymous forum i will hide behind my avatar and spare you the details of those incidents

As i posted, there's also a difference (to me, not always to the law) between being at .09 and being at .20. One of them is an extra glass of wine, one of them is you can't walk. My guess is the majority of people have done the first but not the second.

Now, if you decide to take my trivializing of transgender bathroom laws as evidence that i did things in a Bangkok bathroom that i now regret, well you might be on to something on that one

Was going to post a similar thought. .09 to 3 or 4x the legal limit is a big difference - saying someone who has driven after one beer at dinner shouldn't talk about someone who passes out of the wheel is like saying since my father spanked me once when I was little he can't judge someone who beats the crap out of his kids, or someone who stole a pencil from work shouldn't talk about the Enron scandal.

The only problem I have with Uber is, what happens the next morning when you have to get to work and can't remember where you left your car? That's why a few of my golf buddies are thinking of starting a Go Fund ME account for a new start-up called "Twuber" - 2 people show up, one drives you home, the other follows in your car. Sure it's a little more expensive than Uber or a cab, but you'll have peace of mind in the morning that you did the right thing last night and can still get to work this morning!

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

I've taken the keys from customers that have blown under a .5 on my breathalyzer that I keep behind the bar, and only I or my off duty federal police officer may administer it, if they exhibit either through words or actions what the officer, my employees or myself consider to be behavior of someone who is "under the influence." When this occurs, it is usually my suspicion and that of the officer that medication/drugs are involved.

I will call them a cab, pay 1/2 the faire and I'll give em their keys the next day.

If they refuse?

Not a problem-

My Federales makes a call to the local PD which is a block and a half away and the customer can roll the dice with them

95% of the time I've never had a problem and they understand, as my Bar Rules, of which there are few however the few that there are are in granite and Posted on the wall, that if they cannot think clearly and appropriately for themselves then yea, I will think for them. If not, their education is going to become a lot more expensive, lol

Hats off Patrick(Rangersgoalie) because most don't have the desire or stones to take a stand like that!!

He'll probably never realize what a friend that you were

Oh, and I don't mind guys that hide behind avatars and usernames-

At times they're cute and make me smile :)

All the Best,

RP

The only problem I have with Uber is, what happens the next morning when you have to get to work and can't remember where you left your car? That's why a few of my golf buddies are thinking of starting a Go Fund ME account for a new start-up called "Twuber" - 2 people show up, one drives you home, the other follows in your car. Sure it's a little more expensive than Uber or a cab, but you'll have peace of mind in the morning that you did the right thing last night and can still get to work this morning!

How about taking Uber/cab to the bar in the first place if you know you're going to be drinking ?

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Personally speaking,

It's not Our Business what Bow does within his Personal Life, Nor should it be the Media's Either...

The Media just Loves to take People Down at the lowest point and Embellish them to the lowest common Denominator. Obviously something is going on Personally with and the Media should try to stay out of their Space or Mishaps so not to Destroy his Golf Career.

Keep up the great work reporting the Real Media News with Facts however, Stay the Hell out of People's Personal Lives...

Its the Public's business, expect no privacy when you get arrested.. Public Records!

It's funny that you say this cuz if I have an extra bartender(male) and the customer will cover a round trip taxi ride, I'll have my bartender follow the cab/Uber to the customer's house and then get a ride back. More have agreed to it than not. Madison said the same as you, that that might be a good business venture, lol.

You would have to basically start your own cab company

Have a nice weekend :)

My Best,

RP

It's funny that you say this cuz if I have an extra bartender(male) and the customer will cover a round trip taxi ride, I'll have my bartender follow the cab/Uber to the customer's house and then get a ride back. More have agreed to it than not. Madison said the same as you, that that might be a good business venture, lol.

You would have to basically start your own cab company

Have a nice weekend :)

My Best,

RP

Isn't that what Uber basically is - an alternative to a cab ride?

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Good idea. But even better idea (from a guy that likes to consume more that his fair share of cocktails periodically) is that if you can't remember where you left your car, you probably should be checking into rehab :)

As a side note, can you believe that because of the corrupt, oppressive, self-serving politicians in NY, that we don't even have Uber/Lyft in NY outside of NYC?

How about taking Uber/cab to the bar in the first place if you know you're going to be drinking ?

Maybe you all haven't been there, or maybe I have a drinking problem, but I know from personal experience that there have been many times when I have no intention of getting beyond the legal limit (what is it now, 1/2 a beer?), but call in a to go order of food from the restaurant above the home course and when I get there to pick it up end up having a few pals insist on buying a drink. I think things have gotten way out of hand with DUI laws/limits, but that's just me? I'm a 210lb guy that can handle a few beers, but am now really cautious/paranoid on the 5 minute ride home after 2 beers and some food at the course.

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Good idea. But even better idea (from a guy that likes to consume more that his fair share of cocktails periodically) is that if you can't remember where you left your car, you probably should be checking into rehab :)

As a side note, can you believe that because of the corrupt, oppressive, self-serving politicians in NY, that we don't even have Uber/Lyft in NY outside of NYC?

If you know you are going to be "over-consuming" from the getgo, I totally agree (although if I knew in advance I was going for a "big night out", I would call some friends to see if they were going to the same place/party and see if we could pay someone to be the DD, that way everyone pays equally and everyone gets home safely with their car in the driveway in the morning) to save the Taxi/Cab/Uber fees both ways.

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

We got a thing like that up here, it's called "keys please" its great.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

As a side note and important FYI if you don't already know (because I didn't till a guy I know got busted)--- he got busted for DWI for sleeping in his car, in the parking lot of the establishment where he got intoxicated. His keys weren't even in the ignition but rather on the floor under his seat. Apparently you have to hide your keys or throw them in the woods or something. IMHO the guy got screwed by the law even though he did the right thing and was a hazard to no one.