Steven Bowditch Arrested for DUI in Arizona

Now "Extreme DUI" is a thing? Hope he can stay in the country. Not sure what this does to his visa status.

If he was passed out in his truck it means he wasn't driving so I don't understand the DUI.

If the keys were on him. Trouble. I believe the keys have to be placed outside the vehicle. Not entirely positive about this.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now "Extreme DUI" is a thing? Hope he can stay in the country. Not sure what this does to his visa status.

If he was passed out in his truck it means he wasn't driving so I don't understand the DUI.

People called the cops to report that a guy was all over the road. Cops showed up and he was passed out, at a traffic light, behind the wheel of a running truck that had gone through 2 full light cycles as he sat there pickling.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

People called the cops to report that a guy was all over the road. Cops showed up and he was passed out, at a traffic light, behind the wheel of a running truck that had gone through 2 full light cycles as he sat there pickling.

Well that answers that question. Thanks Kymar. Still don't understand people who drink and drive. Heck I don't even putt.

I don't feel sorry for him and neither should anyone else. This isn't a redemption story or a "hopefully he makes this a positive" story....Driving that drunk is a complete disregard for society and the people in it. He's lucky he didn't kill anyone, and the people close to where he was driving are lucky they are alive

If you are unfortunate enough to know, or sadly have known, a victim of drunk driving you don't feel bad for guys who do this

Wife just had a baby too. Could have killed someone else and left his wife and baby without a father.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Funny how when its an athlete or celebrity everyone feels bad and hope they get help. However if it is just some bloke around the corner the guy is an effin idiot.

He could of killed innocent people! 2.5 times over the limit and unlikely his first time doing it.

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

"I would finish the pro-am at midday," he told Golf Digest in 2009. "I would start drinking at 1 o'clock in the afternoon and go all the way until 5 o'clock in the morning and tee it up in the tournament at 7 o'clock on the first tee. Go home, have an afternoon sleep and do it again. And that went on for six weeks. I realized in June or July that I was doing it every day. That was my only escape from the person that I was."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/golf/news/pga-tour-golfer-steven-bowditch-arrested-in-arizona-accused-of-extreme-dui/amp/?client=ms-android-sprint-us

And this is the whole piece. I never knew this about him. Tough to read. Man, to hurt this much inside.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/gw20090427_moriarty

Friends would call him. He wouldn't answer and wouldn't call back. He didn't speak to his parents for two months. In April he went 12 straight nights without sleeping. Desperate to switch his mind off, he chugged an entire bottle of Scotch and slept for two days. When he woke up, he says, he put on all his heavy clothes to serve as a woolen anchor weighing down his muscular body, walked to the pool of his Dallas condominium and tried to drown himself. Discovered floating in the water by his then-girlfriend, he had very nearly succeeded.

HE WAS ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL OF THE TRUCK WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING WHILE SITTING AT A GREEN STOPLIGHT.

Sorry for the caps, but it was unequivocally drunk driving. Everyone should read the linked article on the first page.

AZ doesn't play around. Penalty for first offense "extreme DUI":

First offense mandatory minimum 30 days jail and no days can be suspended* (this means you must serve all 30 days in jail – day for day)

Pay a $2,500.00 fine

Must attend alcohol classes

One (1) year of an IID being attached to your steering wheel after all license suspensions are completed (at a cost of $1,500).

Once you start your car, you must then continue to blow into the device every 15 minutes to keep your car’s ignition on!

Lastly, a judge may order a person convicted not to consume alcohol for a period of thirty days or more by requiring them to wear a continuous alcohol monitoring device on their ankle, or blowing twice daily into a telephonic breath testing device.

The court, in its discretion, may also extend this period of continuous alcohol monitoring.

I have no idea what I'm talking about but how can AZ enforce some of those penalties if someone didn't live in that state?

Like the interlock? If he doesn't plan to drive in AZ may be no issue at all and they wouldn't/couldn't be enforced. You are correct. Of course, if he gets picked up driving in AZ then big trouble.

There would be separate drivers licensing issues through DOT/DMV as well which may or may not have much for teeth if he's driving in other states and he's driving on the strength of whatever privileges he gets by virtue of his home licensing. Whether an individual state's suspension affects or when it affects that if he's not a US resident, don't know but that is how in theory there would be some "reach".

It's possible he could plead down to the lesser offense which may have less jail time (but still some mandatory), or maybe AZ has deferred judgments like some other states (but his high BAC might take him out of eligibility for one of those). Also, some states have setups where you do your alcohol classes intensively, think motel, and get to count the time in motel "lockup" against your jail time. Don't know about AZ.

Wide range of possibilities.

I talked to him a bit today on the practice green (before any of this got released) and he seemed like his mind was elsewhere. Also looked either drunk or very hungover. He was VERY interested in his phone, checking it after every putt and making a few calls himself.

DRIVER: Titleist TSi3 9° • Tensei AV RAW White
3 WOOD: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 15° • Aldila Rogue White
5 WOOD: Callaway Epic Speed 18° • HZRDUS Smoke Green
UTILITY: Srixon ZX 23° 4 iron • Recoil 95 F4
IRONS: Srixon ZX7 5-PW • Nippon Modus 120
WEDGES: Titleist SM8 50°F / 54°S / 58°M
PUTTER: Odyssey OG Bird 7 OR Scotty Special Select Newport 2 OR Nike Method 001

Funny how when its an athlete or celebrity everyone feels bad and hope they get help. However if it is just some bloke around the corner the guy is an effin idiot.

He could of killed innocent people! 2.5 times over the limit and unlikely his first time doing it.

I don't see how you can't hope he can get help, especially considering he's battled this and extreme depression in the past, while still thinking he's an f'in idiot

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

AZ doesn't play around. Penalty for first offense "extreme DUI":

First offense mandatory minimum 30 days jail and no days can be suspended* (this means you must serve all 30 days in jail day for day)

Pay a $2,500.00 fine

Must attend alcohol classes

One (1) year of an IID being attached to your steering wheel after all license suspensions are completed (at a cost of $1,500).

Once you start your car, you must then continue to blow into the device every 15 minutes to keep your car's ignition on!

Lastly, a judge may order a person convicted not to consume alcohol for a period of thirty days or more by requiring them to wear a continuous alcohol monitoring device on their ankle, or blowing twice daily into a telephonic breath testing device.

The court, in its discretion, may also extend this period of continuous alcohol monitoring.

Cant and don't feel sorry for him one bit, just glad he didn't plow into anyone. I hope he gets whats coming to him, with Uber and Lyft out nowadays, how do you get a DUI!

Thank god no one was hurt. People forget the real world when a golf game puts you in a bad mental state. Maybe he should come work with criminals like me and Im pretty sure he will appreciate what he has. I offered lots of support to him . There is no excuse for what he did , could have hurt a family. He will pay the price and after that will show what he is made of. I read lots of him putting down his game , I don't read allot about being sore at the gym or practicing so hard he has blisters. He has a young child and obviously that was not a priority. If he was just over the limit I might believe it was a mistake but being that drunk is bad. From here he needs help, addiction, mental help, reality check . This goes for everyone if golf makes you that miserable quit, don't torture the people around you . If your reading AH be thankful for what you have not what you had .

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

HE WAS ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL OF THE TRUCK WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING WHILE SITTING AT A GREEN STOPLIGHT.

Sorry for the caps, but it was unequivocally drunk driving. Everyone should read the linked article on the first page.

He was just TIRED. Probably has a sleep disorder. Fatigued driving is more dangerous than drinking and driving however.

Glad he didn't have injure anyone or himself.

I've always pulled for the guy, he has battled major depression for years. Hope he can learn and grow from this for the sake of his family.

Ping g430max 10k 10.5*- rogue white 130 60tx
sim2ti 15* - speeder evo 3 757x
ping g425 20.5* - rogue 125 80tx
4-gw ap1 jpx921 hm/hm pro - 120x1’s
 sm5 56.10 - s400ti
sm8 60m - s400ti
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

Definitely do not condone this sort of behavior however mental health can be extremely difficult for some people to deal with and clearly he has some demons. Really hope he gets help and by that I mean a proper support structure around him. Now for those who will read this and say I'm giving him a "break" because of his day job, I'm not because driving under the influence is one of the worst decisions somebody can make.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

Bowdo is one of the most likeable guys you would want to met. I hope he looks at the positives from this. Ok drunk at the wheel, he's lucky he didnt hurt anyone or himself. Thats a positive to take from it. The 2nd positive is there are heaps of people that are hoping this might be the turning point and are willing to help. Problem is when you do have a problem its hard to admit. In fact you probably cant.

I hope the tour puts their arm around him and work to rehabilitate him rather than push him away. He's not the first tour player who has been an alcoholic, Tom Watson is the most high profile player who was there but its a long list.

Lets hope this is a positive in his life. Sometimes it takes something like this to recognise you have a problem. I hope this is a new start.

If the keys were on him. Trouble. I believe the keys have to be placed outside the vehicle. Not entirely positive about this.

Correct. It is called "care and control" if the keys are accessible.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Hey bub, I don't know you and have no problem with you, but don't speak for me as "everyone" becasue you don't know me and that's not how I think.

And to be quite honest, I have less sympathy for athletes and celebs than a bloke down the street because they have means to get sober rides and better access to help.

Some people have compassion, some don't.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Correct. It is called "care and control" if the keys are accessible.

The keys were in the ignition, the car running, had been driven on the street and was at a stoplight with Bowditch passed out in the driver's seat.

Blew a .20...That's a typical 18 hole round for the fellows in my group...

Funny

Only if they're walking....home.

As the years roll by I find drunk playing pards more as a nuisance and less than amusing.

The toll of alcohol and other substance abuse is astonishingly devastating to family and society at large. Just sharing my experience, strength and hope in a small way that Bowditch gets a timeout long enough to find clarity.

And express my admiration to those who enjoy a beer or two out on the links without becoming so sloppy as to make it an adventure in babysitting...

Im surprised he drank that much. Isn't he usually done after 2 rounds?

2 rounds? Really? You are giving him to much credit.

But damn, that mug shot though!

Cobra fly z+ Aldila rogue black
TM aero burner mini driver aldila rogue black
TM R9 3&5 wood stock
2016 mizuno jpx ez 4-gw
Cleveland cg16 50,56,62
Odyssey black series #5

Personally speaking,

It's not Our Business what Bow does within his Personal Life, Nor should it be the Media's Either...

The Media just Loves to take People Down at the lowest point and Embellish them to the lowest common Denominator. Obviously something is going on Personally with and the Media should try to stay out of their Space or Mishaps so not to Destroy his Golf Career.

Keep up the great work reporting the Real Media News with Facts however, Stay the Hell out of People's Personal Lives...