2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Tiger Woods: "No Timetable for my Return to Golf..."

tigers9iron

http://www.sportingi...pockets-060801/

http://www.golf.com/...son-be-impacted

http://www.golfdiges...omic_growth/amp

Purses will of course continue to increase but you are overlooking the rate with through ignorance or choice. To suggest he doesn't have a huge effect is the talk of people completely unaware.

Every sport experienced huge growth during the last 25 years.

In 1994-5, the NBA salary cap was $16M. Today, its $94M. Is that due to the Tiger effect too?

What a horrible argument.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purses will of course continue to increase but you are overlooking the rate with through ignorance or choice. To suggest he doesn't have a huge effect is the talk of people completely unaware.

In 1994-5, the NBA salary cap was $16M. Today, its $94M. Is that due to the Tiger effect too?

Every sport? What do you mean? Pro sports all experienced growth in what? Payment to players? Not remotely true.

They still won a lot of money in 1996 and that would have increased without Woods

Huh? Many tournaments in '96 paid the winner less than $200k. Now the winner's share is as much as the total purse of many tournaments then.

Yes and that would have increased with or without him. You now gets 6 times as much money for winning Wimbledon as you did in 1996. The wage of a top football (soccer) player is at least six times what it would have been in 1996. The world transfer record in 1996 was £15m, it's now £90m. Yep that's 6 times what it was. I don't know American sports but I imagine increases were similar.

$200k for first place on the PGA Tour in 1996 x6 = $1.2 million today would make it in line with the rest of the sporting world.

Argument looks good on paper. You're forgetting the sports that has the growth equivalent to golf, had a star that transcended sports. For golf that was Tiger. For the NBA is was Jordan. For Tennis is been Serena for a decade. Before Tiger it was Arnold in golf.

Tiger almost immediately went back to the tight shirts and the buff look that his ego wants as soon as his back felt decent. You could literally see the difference in his appearance throughout the winter and early spring. As someone who has had back surgery you are not going to pump the same amount of iron or feel as explosive...ever...unless you want to use PED's...HGH...and even then??? Guy needs to decide if he wants to be a golfer or wear tight shirts and act like he's some kind of elite physical specimen. His actions seem to show he would rather cash checks and look a certain way. If so that's a pity in my book.

Wardell, I had back surgery in 1984 after a long struggle with pain. After recovery I went full bore into heavy weights and I kept at it for about 15 years. During that time, I had very few episodes of back pain. In season, I played golf 4 times a week and again, little in the way of back pain.

I guess that what I'm really trying to say is that your statement is wrong. You can pump whatever you want, as often as you want and your back gets better right along with every other part of the body. Your experience may differ but it doesn`t mean that you are the norm, that everyone with a crappy back loses the ability to train with heavy weights.

The PED statement is not worthy of comment and because I don`t know Woods as well as you seem to, I`m not going to guess at what his reasons may be for doing what Tiger does. I really don`t know. It`s none of my business.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Every sport? What do you mean? Pro sports all experienced growth in what? Payment to players? Not remotely true.

MLB, NFL, NHL and NBA are all vastly larger businesses than they were in the early 90s. Salaries, franchise sales prices, expansion fees... all demonstrate this. Same in the NCAA... look at how much the coaches make now compared to the early 90s.

Is there some fringe sport that suffered? Perhaps, but the overall trend in sport for the last 25 years or so has been massively up.

What a horrible argument.

Great insight. Thanks!

The question is: Is Tiger really injured again or is his level of play so poor that he's concerned about damaging his brand further. Either way, it doesn't bode well for him long term as his injured back and knees may never allow him to play golf at a competitive level he deems acceptable. I thought it was "unlucky" after he touted all the rounds he played pain free leading up to his return and he injured himself in his first tournament back while playing poorly.

Golf still needs Tiger, but a healthy, dominating Tiger, not a broken down, hacker who can't make a cut.

Not really unless you're exclusively a Tiger fan not a golf fan. theres alot of those...

There are also a lot of delusional, factually incorrect haters.

Its funny that you ask how old i am and then use the term hater... Good grief guy if facts like this scare you i cant help you.

The question is: Is Tiger really injured again or is his level of play so poor that he's concerned about damaging his brand further. Either way, it doesn't bode well for him long term as his injured back and knees may never allow him to play golf at a competitive level he deems acceptable. I thought it was "unlucky" after he touted all the rounds he played pain free leading up to his return and he injured himself in his first tournament back while playing poorly.

Golf still needs Tiger, but a healthy, dominating Tiger, not a broken down, hacker who can't make a cut.

Not really unless you're exclusively a Tiger fan not a golf fan. theres alot of those...

The ratings for the Masters on Sunday were pretty bad, might have been better if a DJ, Spieth, Phil or Day were in contention but still nothing compared to if Tiger was in contention. Tiger moves the needle.

Who cares? it was an epic tourney and alot of people DVR these things now. Ratings globally were just fine. Tiger moving the needle doesnt matter one bit for golf. he also hasnt been in contention at the masters for over a decade, golf survived

Lol, lots of fail in there and youve made the same dumb comment several times. Its almost as if you actually believe what you are saying. It would be interesting to know how old you are if you truly believe what you keep spewing. Golf may mot "need" Tiger buts sure as hell is a lot healthier with him. But then why should we take the other pkayers, the industry and its owners points of view into consideration when the GOLFWRX brain trust has it figured out.

Easy internet tough guy, calling my comment "dumb" without providing any insight as to why exposes your ingorance as does your spelling. Yes i stand by the idea/statement that golf doesnt need Tiger. Its not a controversial statement and certainly doesnt mean i dont appreciate his historic run. He like other greats have come and passed and we move forward with the pgatour. As I previously mentioned, there are Tiger fans and golf fans i think you just exposed which one you are. im the latter and have seen father time takes all the greats the last 35 years at exactly the same age. Coincidence? Tiger doesnt affect rounds played or active participation no one player does. ratings good or bad mean nothing as the pga will get another TV deal similar to its current one well after Tiger is gone because of the demographic golf attracts it attracts serious corporate sponsors. These are facts that are undeniable and have nothing to do with your take that im a hater.. i loved tigers game in his prime

They still won a lot of money in 1996 and that would have increased without Woods

Huh? Many tournaments in '96 paid the winner less than $200k. Now the winner's share is as much as the total purse of many tournaments then.

Yes and that would have increased with or without him. You now gets 6 times as much money for winning Wimbledon as you did in 1996. The wage of a top football (soccer) player is at least six times what it would have been in 1996. The world transfer record in 1996 was £15m, it's now £90m. Yep that's 6 times what it was. I don't know American sports but I imagine increases were similar.

$200k for first place on the PGA Tour in 1996 x6 = $1.2 million today would make it in line with the rest of the sporting world.

Argument looks good on paper. You're forgetting the sports that has the growth equivalent to golf, had a star that transcended sports. For golf that was Tiger. For the NBA is was Jordan. For Tennis is been Serena for a decade. Before Tiger it was Arnold in golf.

No way. Federer Nadal Djokovic have 10 times the following and impact not even on the same planet

Tigers start at Milwaukee, and his phenomenal rookie year, coincided with the PGA Tour negotiating their new tv deals that were expiring.

Ratings were at unseen levels previously, and golf became page one news due to Tigers insane professional start.

I can guarantee you, every player playing the tour at that time can tell you for certain that the purse jump was hugely Tiger driven

MLB, NFL, NHL and NBA are all vastly larger businesses than they were in the early 90s. Salaries, franchise sales prices, expansion fees... all demonstrate this. Same in the NCAA... look at how much the coaches make now compared to the early 90s.

Is there some fringe sport that suffered? Perhaps, but the overall trend in sport for the last 25 years or so has been massively up.

This is an undeniable fact that people have a hard time accepting because for some he is a messiah. Literally the only sports that have suffered domestically in TV revenue in the last 30 years is indy/F1, horse racing.

People here forget that ABC used to show bowling on TV during the early 90s on the weekend and then they got a PGA deal for 5 years. CBS used to show figure skating and alot of gymnastics and olympic sports and then expanded their deal with the pga. All this way before tiger. When jordan retired the same was said, is the NBA dead? Laughable now as it was then. The NFL ratings were down significantly this past season and sponsorship is still banging on the door at NFL headquarters to give them their money. Same wth the PGA tour. Theyre growing globally at insane rates just not here, tiger or no

I got the PJs, the slippers, and all of these ; )

Yeah, TW has no impact on ratings, purses, or interest. The lowest rated Masters in over 10 years?

It's those new fangled DVRs they just invented!

tiger_10HSBC.jpg

148461573.jpg

420-tiger-woods-420x0.jpg

Wow, guys dressed up for Tiger!!!!! case closed. no other player has had that ever.

rickie-fowler.jpg

Yes,

Rickie=Tiger

Lots of players have the impact of TW. We should be seeing fans dressing like them soon...

Spieth, for example

schreien-001.jpg

; )

Tigers start at Milwaukee, and his phenomenal rookie year, coincided with the PGA Tour negotiating their new tv deals that were expiring.

Ratings were at unseen levels previously, and golf became page one news due to Tigers insane professional start.

I can guarantee you, every player playing the tour at that time can tell you for certain that the purse jump was hugely Tiger driven

This has been disproven several times. the growth of golf purses didnt surpass any other sport including tennis. The early and mid 90s was when the floodgates opened for Tv deals with all sports. billion dollar NFL deal Billion dollar olympics deal, MLB after 94 strike almost a billion dollar deal before the end of the decade also almost billion dollar nba deal. its was an arms race and cable TV was taking off and needed content.

Tiger did attract an audience that werent golf fans in a similar way that john daly did but Tigers impact was a million times bigger and longer lasting. Players made more from sponsors because of Tiger in endorsements and equipment deals but purses grew at the rate of all other sports whci was according to TV deals.

No way. Federer Nadal Djokovic have 10 times the following and impact not even on the same planet

You are correct. I was just thinking women's tennis which struggled to get traction outside of the sport.

Categorically false and debunked several times over. Tiger might have helped endorsement $ for individual golfers but purses were going up because of TV expansion regardless.Golf purses grew at the same rate as all other sports from 1990 to 2005 purses wont change after Tiger as they havent in the last 5 years of him doing pretty much nothing except for 1 year. The Pga tour is far more worried about global reach in china japan india etc.. Sorry to break it to you but golf and purses in this form will be around and will expand as it did after every great player fades. Just a fact of life, not a knock on Tiger.

Jack and Phil have both stated publicly that Tiger was responsible for the increase in purses and popularity increase in golf. You're either a Tiger hater or in denial but Tiger made a lot of people who didn't like golf start to watch golf because of how dominating he was. My father couldn't name a golfer in the 90's but he knew who Tiger Woods was. Golf tournaments are about charity and marketing, as ratings continue to decline the motivation to spend millions on tournaments will wane, television contract values will decline and ultimately golf will suffer the downturn that tennis has unless another Tiger enters the game or Tiger can make a comeback.

This is your conclusion? How sad that you want to pidgeon hole someone that you dont know into those 2 categories. I loved tigers game in his prime but jack and phils opinion is a gracious compliment to a fellow star but not based in reality. You proved my point that there are Tiger fans and golf fans. Im a golf fan and will be forever. Also your last sentence is so short sighted and delusional. Look around the world at all the golf tours amd all the money being thrown around. Did that go away in the last 6-7 years when tigers has done pretty much noithing? Purses will not decline and golf will not suffer. Tennis is a different animal as it does not play the majority of its events in the US. The tour has adjusted to Tigerless tourneys and its just fine. Heck a bilionaire mexican threw 50 million at the tour to get a WGC with 0 expectation Tiger would be there. The NFL is having games in london and mexico city left and right.

I really hope he can come back but realistically he probably cant and thats OK. He had a historic run, what more can we ask? lets just not use revisionist history as if golf didnt exist before him or after him

Yeah, TW has no impact on ratings, purses, or interest. The lowest rated Masters in over 10 years?

tiger_10HSBC.jpg

148461573.jpg

Wow, guys dressed up for Tiger!!!!! case closed. no other player has had that ever.

rickie-fowler.jpg

Yes,

Rickie=Tiger

Lots of players have the impact of TW. We should be seeing fans dressing like them soon...

Spieth, for example

schreien-001.jpg

; )

Yeah, thats exactly what I meant...

Seriously though any criticism of your lord and savior drives you straight to posting a video of his 2005 masters winning putt or pics like this. I love me some Tiger but jesus...

You have to stop being so serious. A couple of posters said I have TW pjs and slippers. So, I obliged them with an entertaining reply.

And now with the "lord and savior" stuff.

You have 15 posts on this thread in one day.

You sure youre not in the TW fan club? We are accepting new members,

You can apply with your local head of recruitment>

Conan-The-Barbarian-Thulsa-Doom-11.jpg

This has been disproven several times. the growth of golf purses didnt surpass any other sport including tennis. The early and mid 90s was when the floodgates opened for Tv deals with all sports. billion dollar NFL deal Billion dollar olympics deal, MLB after 94 strike almost a billion dollar deal before the end of the decade also almost billion dollar nba deal. its was an arms race and cable TV was taking off and needed content.

Tiger did attract an audience that werent golf fans in a similar way that john daly did but Tigers impact was a million times bigger and longer lasting. Players made more from sponsors because of Tiger in endorsements and equipment deals but purses grew at the rate of all other sports whci was according to TV deals.

Are you aware Rangersgoalie just might have a bit more insight than you on this?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Are you aware Rangersgoalie just might have a bit more insight than you on this?

Thanks for the snark. I know hes an ex tour player and doesnt affect my opinion as i have been coached by and currently being coached by an ex tour player circa 95-2002 and have caddied for a few guys who played on tour.

I have the #s backing up my statement. Feelings dont show up on a spread sheet is my point. its cool though lets keep up this false narrative that he single handidly raised purses.

No she doesn't believe for a second that someone knows more. It seems to be a condition made much worse the farther north you go. Her posts show a complete doubling down on ignorance and opinion.

tiger_10HSBC.jpg

148461573.jpg

rickie-fowler.jpg

Yes,

Rickie=Tiger

Spieth, for example

schreien-001.jpg

; )

Yeah, thats exactly what I meant...

Seriously though any criticism of your lord and savior drives you straight to posting a video of his 2005 masters winning putt or pics like this. I love me some Tiger but jesus...

You have to stop being so serious. A couple of posters said I have TW pjs and slippers. So, I obliged them with an entertaining reply.

And now with the "lord and savior" stuff.

You have 15 posts on this thread in one day.

You sure youre not in the TW fan club? We are accepting new members,

You can apply with your local head of recruitment>

Conan-The-Barbarian-Thulsa-Doom-11.jpg

Don`t worry about that guy. He`s like CNN.....He yells loudest, interrupts everyone not on his side and in the end, says little of value.......

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Thanks for the snark. I know hes an ex tour player and doesnt affect my opinion as i have been coached by and currently being coached by an ex tour player circa 95-2002 and have caddied for a few guys who played on tour.

I have the #s backing up my statement. Feelings dont show up on a spread sheet is my point. its cool though lets keep up this false narrative that he single handidly raised purses.

Lol no you don't . You have been given numbers straight from the source but still deny it. You are the equivalent of the golfer who goes for lessons and when shown a video of their swing still denies reality based on nothing but ingorance and arrogance.

Exactly, they didn't have the same impact as McEnroe, Connors or Agassi. Federer, Nadal and Djokovic might be equal or better players but most people didn't care. Who's going to watch womens tennis when Serena retires?

No one is claiming golf will fail without Tiger the point is it does better ratings when he's playing. Higher ratings is good for the sport and everyone involved in it.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Categorically false and debunked several times over. Tiger might have helped endorsement $ for individual golfers but purses were going up because of TV expansion regardless.Golf purses grew at the same rate as all other sports from 1990 to 2005 purses wont change after Tiger as they havent in the last 5 years of him doing pretty much nothing except for 1 year. The Pga tour is far more worried about global reach in china japan india etc.. Sorry to break it to you but golf and purses in this form will be around and will expand as it did after every great player fades. Just a fact of life, not a knock on Tiger.

Jack and Phil have both stated publicly that Tiger was responsible for the increase in purses and popularity increase in golf. You're either a Tiger hater or in denial but Tiger made a lot of people who didn't like golf start to watch golf because of how dominating he was. My father couldn't name a golfer in the 90's but he knew who Tiger Woods was. Golf tournaments are about charity and marketing, as ratings continue to decline the motivation to spend millions on tournaments will wane, television contract values will decline and ultimately golf will suffer the downturn that tennis has unless another Tiger enters the game or Tiger can make a comeback.

This is your conclusion? How sad that you want to pidgeon hole someone that you dont know into those 2 categories. I loved tigers game in his prime but jack and phils opinion is a gracious compliment to a fellow star but not based in reality. You proved my point that there are Tiger fans and golf fans. Im a golf fan and will be forever. Also your last sentence is so short sighted and delusional. Look around the world at all the golf tours amd all the money being thrown around. Did that go away in the last 6-7 years when tigers has done pretty much noithing? Purses will not decline and golf will not suffer. Tennis is a different animal as it does not play the majority of its events in the US. The tour has adjusted to Tigerless tourneys and its just fine. Heck a bilionaire mexican threw 50 million at the tour to get a WGC with 0 expectation Tiger would be there. The NFL is having games in london and mexico city left and right.

I really hope he can come back but realistically he probably cant and thats OK. He had a historic run, what more can we ask? lets just not use revisionist history as if golf didnt exist before him or after him

To back up Rangers point ...From 96-06 the purse at the LA Open went from $216k to $918k. Since it has gone up to just $1.26m. It went up more dollars and WAY more percent in the Tiger decade. The other sports have received a huge increase from television deals recently. Where is the increase for golf that you have mentioned other than the, soon to be ill fated, Fox/USGA deal?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Exactly, they didn't have the same impact as McEnroe, Connors or Agassi. Federer, Nadal and Djokovic might be equal or better players but most people didn't care. Who's going to watch womens tennis when Serena retires?

No one is claiming golf will fail without Tiger the point is it does better ratings when he's playing. Higher ratings is good for the sport and everyone involved in it.

In America maybe, although I still doubt that because Federer is still as big of a draw as any American. Worldwide, tennis has never been bigger. As for golf, there's no doubt Tiger is better for ratings worldwide but in the UK and Ireland, Rory in the lead might not be that far off or Spain with Garcia or whatever.

Also on the ratings argument, pretty sure that the NFL and Premier League are down in ratings because people are watching things on illegal streams, on their phones and laptops, on record. Things are different to how they were 20 years ago. Seemed to me like a lot of people watched the Masters, lots of people I know that would rarely watch golf did.