Tiger Woods: "No Timetable for my Return to Golf..."

tigers9iron

Ali played it very smart later in his career. He didn't let his ego make him go after young hungry dangerous fighters (he avoided Foreman and Holmes)

Not quite. Ali at age 38 fought Larry Holmes and got beat to a pulp. It was a joke of a fight.

https://www.theguard...boxing.features

http://www.fightsaga...as-Anything-But

Ali, for much of his career, made a punching bag out of himself. I believe the disorder that he has was from the abuse he took in the ring.

Ali passed away Sir.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rosaforte was on MD and allegedly talked with Steinberg last night. He said no decision has been made regarding the Masters but isn't it time to just be honest about things? He's had a great career...maybe the best ever except for the majors. Even the greatest eventually can't do it anymore. Pick a sport and you can find the player that couldn't do it after a certain point. Mays, Jordan, Manning all hit the wall...it's inevitable.

Father Time is undefeated.

This is golf .. not baseball, football, basketball ... and he's only 41.

I'll take George Blanda...and the under.

He was on good morning America today. Sitting on a bar stool style chair. Says he hopes to be back for the masters. Pretty typical deferral answers.

He's looking awful though. He needs to give up on his hair truthfully.

2016 M2 9.5* Black Tie 7M3x
2016 M2 15* Black Tie MFS 8M4x
TM UDI 18* Aldila RIP Alpha 105x
PING S59 4-PW Hard stepped PX 6.5
Cleveland CG16 52*
PING Glide 2.0 58*
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
2016 Srixon Z Star

Rosaforte was on MD and allegedly talked with Steinberg last night. He said no decision has been made regarding the Masters but isn't it time to just be honest about things? He's had a great career...maybe the best ever except for the majors. Even the greatest eventually can't do it anymore. Pick a sport and you can find the player that couldn't do it after a certain point. Mays, Jordan, Manning all hit the wall...it's inevitable.

I'll take George Blanda...and the under.

I got Satchel Paige and the over.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

The sport of golf puts the most stress on arguably the most important area of anyone's body with regards to physical activity - the back. When the back doesnt function properly, life is simply miserable, and simple physical activity can become impossible.

The fact that he's 41 is irrelevant. He's been playing golf pretty much non-stop since he was able to swing a club - that's 30+ years. Tiger's back is wrecked, and after multiple surgeries its not fixed.

I sincerely hope that at Augusta, Tiger announces his retirement from playing professional golf. Tiger can still be as visible as he wants around the game of golf, but at this point (IMO) he's risking simple quality of life by trying to play professionally. There's no better place to announce his retirement and to celebrate his career at the golf course that was his personal playground for a long, long time. And having him tee it up in Arnold's old spot next to Jack and Gary on Thursday morning would really be an emotional scene.

Do clinics. Make appearances at events and charity functions. Build golf courses. Put on tournaments. Take the torch from Gary Player and be an ambassador for the game worldwide. Tiger can still be a massive asset to the game of golf even if he's not playing.

The sport of golf puts the most stress on arguably the most important area of anyone's body with regards to physical activity - the back. When the back doesnt function properly, life is simply miserable, and simple physical activity can become impossible.

The fact that he's 41 is irrelevant. He's been playing golf pretty much non-stop since he was able to swing a club - that's 30+ years. Tiger's back is wrecked, and after multiple surgeries its not fixed.

I sincerely hope that at Augusta, Tiger announces his retirement from playing professional golf. Tiger can still be as visible as he wants around the game of golf, but at this point (IMO) he's risking simple quality of life by trying to play professionally. There's no better place to announce his retirement and to celebrate his career at the golf course that was his personal playground for a long, long time. And having him tee it up in Arnold's old spot next to Jack and Gary on Thursday morning would really be an emotional scene.

Do clinics. Make appearances at events and charity functions. Build golf courses. Put on tournaments. Take the torch from Gary Player and be an ambassador for the game worldwide. Tiger can still be a massive asset to the game of golf even if he's not playing.

I think when Tiger is done with golf, he is gone, we won't see much of him.

Driver - Titleist TSR3
Hybrid - Ping G430  
Irons - Titleist T 150 - MMT 125
Wedges - SM9 50,54,60
Putter - Scotty NP2

Not with his foundation already involved with multiple PGA tournaments and with his new business venture which seems to be centered around golf and building golf courses.

Wouldnt shock me to see Tiger get involved in design of new equipment with TaylorMade, especially if he ends up not playing much after his new endorsement deal. TM will want to recoup some investment of that somehow.

Agreed. And at this stage not seeing much of him won't be a bad thing. I personally don't want to see him again because the sight of him struggling to pick a tee out the ground, the GOAT, is just really sad. I also don't see what he has to offer as an ambassador either. Socially inept, unable to be honest, can't give a straight answer to anything, serial cheater, everything he says in recent times comes across as being so disingenuous.

Garcia, Westwood, CH3, DL3 are all eloquent, sensible and an appeal that would benefit golf.

Tiger's appeal to me is what he used to be, this unstoppable, dominating force. We are now 6 or 7 years removed from that and with each passing failed round or withdrawal his aura is further diminished.

He can focus on his course design and academies but to be front page news is detrimental to golf, with all the talent out there, all the successes going unreported because Tiger was on a talk show just doesn't seem right.

It's not his fault, but if he has any self awareness at all he'd take a step back and give the game time to grow a bit.

he seems more relaxed but looks a lot older now his hair is going fast. cant see him playing the master though.

Cobra Radspeed XD 10.5
Callaway rogue 3 wood
Callaway rogue 5 wood
Callaway Hawkeye 7 wood.
Taylormade M6 irons 5 to pw,aw, sw, 2 degrees upright +half an inch longer
Callaway  mack daddy cb 60 wedge
Titleist trufeel/Callaway supersoft balls
Odyssey 7s black

Agreed. And at this stage not seeing much of him won't be a bad thing. I personally don't want to see him again because the sight of him struggling to pick a tee out the ground, the GOAT, is just really sad. I also don't see what he has to offer as an ambassador either. Socially inept, unable to be honest, can't give a straight answer to anything, serial cheater, everything he says in recent times comes across as being so disingenuous.

Garcia, Westwood, CH3, DL3 are all eloquent, sensible and an appeal that would benefit golf.

What???

The guy who spits in cups, the guy we call "short bus", the guy no one has heard of, and pompous polo guy are ambassadors for golf???

The dartboard theory would easily pick a better player rep.

What???

The guy who spits in cups, the guy we call "short bus", the guy no one has heard of, and pompous polo guy are ambassadors for golf???

The dartboard theory would easily pick a better player rep.

Whachu mean, man?

Garcia, Westwood, CH3, DL3.

That's the Mt Rushmore of golf right there ; )

What annoys me is the constant lying about his condition. He says to everyone he is now pain free and feeling good then pulls out.Then says its just back spasms wish should result in one week off but now appears like he may not play again this season. Again!

If he just said that ''my back is iffy and I have tried to come back and it didn't work out so now I will rest for now and will try again in the near future and hope it goes better.'' That would be understandable.

But all this ''I am pain free for the first time in years, I feel good etc'' Why lie?? Its really annoying that he has said on a few different occasions that he is now injury free and then pulls out. Just stop lying!

I think he is only playing to maintain a commercial profile and as other say to keep his brand name out there (for now).

To me I think he knows his game is awful and so just cites injuries to avoid admitting he is just plain playing crap. Then takes time off to try to sort himself out. I think he is afraid of embarassing himself. Thats why he wont come back.

Are you talking about Freddie or Tiger? Couples just said in an interview after winning on the Champions Tour a few weeks ago he does not make a schedule. He just plays whenever the back cooperates. And never knows from day to day if it will feel good or lock up on him. If Tiger is going through something similar is that lying? Does he really owe any of us an explanation?

As to the bold you think the whole "surgery" thing is a fraud? He is not hurt just playing poorly and making excuses?

Who knows? He isn't exactly lilly white when it comes to telling the truth. Ask his wife.

As for Freddie at least he can say his back is goosed and just tries to play whenever as opposed to Tiger telling everyone how good he feels and is pain free only to pull a sickie yet again. Its so boring and old at this stage. Tiger plays s*** then WD's. If its not his back its his ankle or neck or blah blah blah...

If it was just back spasms he would be fine now. So he is lying again. Just go away and retire Tiger.

I'm waiting for his big comeback at the Memorial . Wide fairways there. Plays poorly then pulls out of the US Open saying his back is bad. Its so predictable!

As spoken by someone who has obviously never had a back surgery.

I've had 2 of the same back surgeries that tiger had. First one in 2012 and second in 2014. I can tell you from personal experience with absolute certainty there are days I cannot stand up, days I feel no pain, and days I can function but have a constant reminder of my bad back.

Until you experience the crippling pain, and lingering effects of a serious back injury, you should really just keep the ignorant comments to yourself. You truly have no idea what you are talking about.

I don't disagree, but I'd like to point out that MJ changed his game considerably at age 41 but was still dominant. There was no more "look at the hang time, look at the flying motion" and more dominating the game with his mind and abusing teams from mid range. MJ is an anomaly though, because if his knees weren't messed up, he'd still compete.

I do believe though that if Tiger can deal with the physical, he is like MJ and can dominate with his mind. He doesn't need to carry it 300 anymore. If he can pick his spots off the tee and get his iron play back, he can easily win again.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I don't know where tiger is at physically or mentally as he keeps things close to his chest, but I bet if he was honest he would say he regrets ever getting involved with Foley. Not sayng that Foley is all to blame as there might be other reasons for his back injuries amd losing his game, but he sure didn't help.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't a lot of Foley's students, like Rose, Mahan, all had back injuries? Seems more than coincidental.

Ali played it very smart later in his career. He didn't let his ego make him go after young hungry dangerous fighters (he avoided Foreman and Holmes).

What?!

Not questioning Ali's ability as he is my favorite athlete of all time and was afraid of nobody, but I am saying that when he got older and had the title he took some easier fights to make money without having to go through the wars he had with guys like Frazier and Norton. He was pretty much spent after Manilla, nobody could fully recover from what those two put their bodies through that night. I have heard Foreman in an interview say that he tried hard to get a rematch with Ali but couldn't, and Holmes only fought him when he was the champion.

Ali played it very smart later in his career. He didn't let his ego make him go after young hungry dangerous fighters (he avoided Foreman and Holmes).

What?!

Not questioning Ali's ability as he is my favorite athlete of all time and was afraid of nobody, but I am saying that when he got older and had the title he took some easier fights to make money without having to go through the wars he had with guys like Frazier and Norton. He was pretty much spent after Manilla, nobody could fully recover from what those two put their bodies through that night. I have heard Foreman in an interview say that he tried hard to get a rematch with Ali but couldn't, and Holmes only fought him when he was the champion.

Not to take us down a rabbit hole but he took a pretty good beating at 39 from Berbick who was like 25 at the time I think.

Golf News: Tiger Woods to attend Champions Dinner ahead of Masters

http://www.upi.com/S.../2911490628494/

"I do have a chance (to play)," Woods told USA Today Sports in an exclusive interview. "I'm trying everything I possibly can to get to that point. I'm working, I'm working on my game. I just need to get to a point where I feel like I'm good enough and I'm healthy enough to do it. ...

"I've been a part of so many Masters over the course of my career, I know exactly what it takes to get ready for that event. Now it's my job to go out there and get ready. I hope I can. ...

"I will be at Augusta either way."

He'll be at Augusta, but he won't be playing. He just won't tell anyone until the last possible second. He and Steiny live for the speculation that he might, even though he is no where near ready to compete. If he was playing there would be sightings and stories of his famous "worst ball" crap. The hype machine is always on full tilt when there is no story.

He'll be at the Champions dinner and say he isn't absolutely sure and he will "try" to give it a go and pull out Wednesday night after all the pairings are made. He should do the honorable thing and admit this week that he can't play so the gentlemen at Augusta can make up the pairings without having to scramble or get the head pro to fill into keep the pairings even. But Tiger won't do that. The suspense the last minute WD will create more storylines and crappy hype for career that has seen it's best days already passed by.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/golf/ct-masters-tiger-woods-spt-0329-20170328-story.html

Tiger Woods at the Masters? NBC golf analyst Brandel Chamblee wants to believe

"If you can believe what you read on social media, his coach has been down there with him in Palm Beach and he has been hitting lot of golf balls," Chamblee said Tuesday on a media conference call. "The way I understand it, he has been practicing quite diligently. It wouldn't surprise me if Tiger shows up at Augusta National."