Tiger Woods: "No Timetable for my Return to Golf..."

tigers9iron

Tiger's only "mental issues" were the fact that he needed to learn to trust his body again, he had to learn to hit a golf ball under pressure again, he had to trust what ever swing changes he made, and how his body responded to them. He had to learn to trust his short game and putting again. After what he went through this is no small feat, even for a 14 time major winner. He needed to learn how to win again. And he did.

Any issues he has in his personal life, I am sure had some effect, but if Tiger is anything, he is mentally tough on a golf course. Off the course....well, who is to say, all we know is what we see on TV and read on the internet. He obviously had his struggles, those are well documented. But he seems to have over come those.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The speaking in vague opinions and quoting them as truth in here is strong.

Lets talk about some facts.

How does one have mental issues and win against the top 30 on tour and runner up in a major. And 6 other top 10s?

Cool is too caught up in every poor shot TW hits that he doesn't realize that all the other players do the same thing all the time.

For perspective,

https://twitter.com/...ur-championship

"Converting outright 54-hole leads on the PGA Tour: Tiger Woods' career: 95% (42-for-44) Entire Tour since 2013: 42%"

So, with a 42% closing percentage, I hope we can put this argument that the "young guns", per the closing percentage cited above aligning with the timing of their godly prevalence on tour, are steely eyed closers.

They choke leads all the time.

Can you please present some empirical evidence that Tiger has been experiencing "mental issues", beyond what any (pro) golfer normally faces? And evidence that it's these supposed issues that have specifically prevented him from winning (more) and how?

Just you or someone else saying it, doesn't make it true.

Also, even in Tiger's prime I'm sure he experienced "doubts and uncertainties". That's part of being a human being, and especially when you play a very difficult game like golf at the highest level.

Where do we start… firstly Tiger for most of the season was hitting drivers on a rope and barely missing a shot on the driving range, then 5 mins later (as pressure increases with tournament play) he struggles to hit fairway after fairway. That’s a “mental issue” personified and I shouldn’t have to document it any further as it’s already well documented.

Then we come to his season long pattern/issue of inextricably choosing & hitting woeful shot at key crunch times when in or near contention - this reality has been witnessed consistently virtually all season (thankfully it was minimal in this years final event where everything came together)… and this has also been well documented by many of the golfing media if you care to look.

I could go on…

He's been doing that his entire career, along with every other player on Tour. Every golfer wishes they could carry their range swing to the course. That's completely normal. But, if that's the criteria for a "mental issue" I guess he overcame it. Check his driving stats in the last 2 tournaments of the year.

That's the best you can do? You can't even name a specific shot? I have to go search through the "golfing media"? I watched all of the tournaments. I don't think you can conclusively attribute his failure to close tournaments to having "mental issues". At least not any that are beyond what every single player deals with.

This just shows that you don't have any concrete or strong support for your generalizations.

Not being able to take the range to the course? Really? That's as normal as it gets for a pro golfer.

You spoke about Tiger as if he had some abnormal, damning "mental issues". What you're describing here as "mental issues" is totally normal for any human being playing golf.

If you're going to be consistent you need to say Justin Rose, Dustin Johnson, Rickie Fowler, etc. all have "mental issues" because they ALL fail to close tournaments and hit bad shots at times. And yet I don't see you saying that about them...hmm...

There are plenty of specific shots and instances that are well documented in the media of Tiger mentally looking fragile throughout the season, so much so it’s hardly worth my time doing so. What IS clear is you don’t want to acknowledge what myself and many of the golfing media have already and repeatedly highlighted. Just because you don’t want to believe it doesn’t make it not true my friend.

And many players actually perform better on the course than the range. With Tiger it was more evident of these mental issues because of the level of disparity and frequency of his performance on the range to 5 mins later in tournament and in key pressure moments.

And I never said they were “damning” mental issues, but I did repeatedly say “if” he’s to win again then these mental issues need to “fixed” as they’re “holding him back” in key pressure moments. I’ve clearly and with objective validity posted these distinctions time and again because it was a big issue. Thankfully they weren’t in the very last event. Does that mean he’s mentally ‘back’ or is it more the exception than the rule… well that we’ll just have to wait and see over the course of next season.

"There are plenty of specific shots and instances" but I have to go searching for them? And how exactly do you correlate these shots to his "mental issues" exactly? And not, for example, a mechanical problem with his swing? You make these claims but you can't give us 1 specific example and provide some support for your claim? Stop making it then. It's worthless.

Yeah, of course Tiger had to overcome mental challenges. Especially after sitting out for 2 years, coming off a spinal fusion, new swing, etc. My point is that's to be expected and totally normal. When you spoke of Tiger's "mental issues" you made it sound like an ongoing, abnormal problem that they he may or may not be able to overcome. My contention is that he still one of the more mentally strong on Tour. 7 top 10s and 12 top 25s in 18 tournaments (with a win at Tour Champ., 2nd at PGA Championship, T6 at The Open) seems decent for his first year back, no?

You make it sound like he's struggling to keep his card.

Many players actually perform better on the course than the range? I'm going to have to question your golf literacy if you actually believe this. It's two totally different animals, and an apples to oranges comparison. But just in terms of general ball striking, no above average Tour pro struggles on the range. I promise you they'd all love to carry the care free mentality they have on the range, to the course. I think Trevino once said that if he could bring his range swing to the course he'd be #1.

Frankly I don't think your Tiger range to Tiger course comparison is all that accurate either. Did you watch all of his range sessions? How? And we saw Tiger hit plenty of fairways off the first tee this year.

Again, you've presented no concrete evidence that Tiger had mental issues that were "holding him back in key pressure moments". At least not beyond what every golfer faces.

Not one piece of empirical evidence. You just keep repeating the same "theories" over and over and over and over [and over] with no support.

what's TW schedule for this year?

My guess would be;

Torrey Pines

Maybe Pebble Beach but I would be surprise

Riveria

Mexico

Bay Hill

Sawgrass

Maybe Match-Play but I have a feeling he won't

Masters

Quail Hollow

PGA

The Memorial

US Open

Could potentially see him playing MI/MN

The Open

Probably won't play St Jude

All 3 Playoff events

my guesses

I think we can cross off everything before the Hero Challenge even the WGC-China

Tournament of Champions: almost no chance unless he really wants to go to Hawaii with the kids

San Diego: most likely place to start unless he's really cutting back the schedule

Pebble Beach: with the US Open there in June, this moves from definite no to lean against since he hasn't played there in a while

Los Angeles: certain

then it depends on how many he wants to play in a row after LA

Mexico is next, then Honda, Bay Hill, TPC, Valspar and the Match Play

It seems almost unfathomable that a golfer would choose to skip the two WGCs, but I think that will be the case. He's not familiar with either course. If he plays Mexico he could be looking at five in a row unless he skips the Honda or Bay Hill. If he plays well at the Match Play he could play 36 holes on Saturday and Sunday two weeks before The Masters. I say he only plays Honda, Bay Hill and TPC. Boy is Tiger going to be asked to show up a lot of places this year, but he learned how to say "no" a long time ago.

The Masters

then it lines up a bit better with a week on/ week off schedule

Wells Fargo, PGA, Memorial, US Open

I think his next start is at the British Open. If does play a tournament before then, I think it will be in Detroit.

The one Tour favor I think he will grant is to show up in Memphis for the WGC-Fed Ex. He would then play five out of six weeks. It will be with the understanding that he gets to skip it for the rest of his career if it stays in this spot.

Fed Ex Cup Playoffs.

Presidents Cup

I'm confused, and I can't seem to find the executive summary......is Tiger great again or not, and are we happy about it or not.

Tiger Woods is a PGA Golf Professional with significant domain expertise in shot making from tee to green. With 80 PGA Tour Victories and 14 Majors, he has set the bar for performance and achievement in the modern game.

Thats a start ; )

I'm confused, and I can't seem to find the executive summary......is Tiger great again or not, and are we happy about it or not.

Tiger Woods is a PGA Golf Professional with significant domain expertise in shot making from tee to green. With 80 PGA Tour Victories and 14 Majors, he has set the bar for performance and achievement in the modern game.

Thats a start ; )

Let me add... That he's playing pretty darn good but some will need to temper their expectations. He's gonna have good and bad weeks like all the other good golfers.

Also he dodged a bullet at the Ryder Cup as he didn't hurt his back carrying Patrick Reed :)

He won the Tour Championship, which is the most important tournament in golf. All the young guns cower in his presence. 19 is inevitable.

This man gets it !!

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

He won the Tour Championship, which is the most important tournament in golf. All the young guns cower in his presence. 19 is inevitable.

This man gets it !!

Yeah, cdn nailed that ; )

This man gets it !!

Yeah, cdn nailed that ; )

Though the Euro players must not have read the memo to cower.

And citing tigers range game vs his rounds isn’t really accurate to describe some Mental discrepency. Unless you will stand by that and claim he’s alway had a mental block. The term “ ranger Rick “ was literally made mainstream by his smooth range swing vs the violent move he has at the bottom on course. Been that way since 2002 or longer.

yes i would say it's more physical issue because of the motor pattern of a new swing that is more constant on the range, so not mental like pressure lol

And citing tigers range game vs his rounds isn’t really accurate to describe some Mental discrepency. Unless you will stand by that and claim he’s alway had a mental block. The term “ ranger Rick “ was literally made mainstream by his smooth range swing vs the violent move he has at the bottom on course. Been that way since 2002 or longer.

yes i would say it's more physical issue because of the motor pattern of a new swing that is more constant on the range, so not mental like pressure lol

TW trembles on the first tee.

He knows he has no chance of beating these guys. And that fear disables him into a state of mental fragility that, while I hope he can overcome (being a Tiger fan, a rational, real fan, who celebrates with other real fans in Paris), I fear he cannot.

Oh, wait, he just beat the crap out of all of them ; )

Tough love. It's the only way.

See the sea (of people ; ). Rory is like, how the &+#$ you deal with this?

[media=]

[/media]

Time for the young guns to get off their butts. TW 3.0

[media=]

[/media]

Funny thing about that old commercial, when Tiger made a charge to win major #15 who beat him?

gettyimages-1015798362.jpg

A guy wearing Nike.

Can you please present some empirical evidence that Tiger has been experiencing "mental issues", beyond what any (pro) golfer normally faces? And evidence that it's these supposed issues that have specifically prevented him from winning (more) and how?

Just you or someone else saying it, doesn't make it true.

Also, even in Tiger's prime I'm sure he experienced "doubts and uncertainties". That's part of being a human being, and especially when you play a very difficult game like golf at the highest level.

Where do we start… firstly Tiger for most of the season was hitting drivers on a rope and barely missing a shot on the driving range, then 5 mins later (as pressure increases with tournament play) he struggles to hit fairway after fairway. That’s a “mental issue” personified and I shouldn’t have to document it any further as it’s already well documented.

Then we come to his season long pattern/issue of inextricably choosing & hitting woeful shot at key crunch times when in or near contention - this reality has been witnessed consistently virtually all season (thankfully it was minimal in this years final event where everything came together)… and this has also been well documented by many of the golfing media if you care to look.

I could go on…

He's been doing that his entire career, along with every other player on Tour. Every golfer wishes they could carry their range swing to the course. That's completely normal. But, if that's the criteria for a "mental issue" I guess he overcame it. Check his driving stats in the last 2 tournaments of the year.

That's the best you can do? You can't even name a specific shot? I have to go search through the "golfing media"? I watched all of the tournaments. I don't think you can conclusively attribute his failure to close tournaments to having "mental issues". At least not any that are beyond what every single player deals with.

This just shows that you don't have any concrete or strong support for your generalizations.

Not being able to take the range to the course? Really? That's as normal as it gets for a pro golfer.

You spoke about Tiger as if he had some abnormal, damning "mental issues". What you're describing here as "mental issues" is totally normal for any human being playing golf.

If you're going to be consistent you need to say Justin Rose, Dustin Johnson, Rickie Fowler, etc. all have "mental issues" because they ALL fail to close tournaments and hit bad shots at times. And yet I don't see you saying that about them...hmm...

There are plenty of specific shots and instances that are well documented in the media of Tiger mentally looking fragile throughout the season, so much so it’s hardly worth my time doing so. What IS clear is you don’t want to acknowledge what myself and many of the golfing media have already and repeatedly highlighted. Just because you don’t want to believe it doesn’t make it not true my friend.

And many players actually perform better on the course than the range. With Tiger it was more evident of these mental issues because of the level of disparity and frequency of his performance on the range to 5 mins later in tournament and in key pressure moments.

And I never said they were “damning” mental issues, but I did repeatedly say “if” he’s to win again then these mental issues need to “fixed” as they’re “holding him back” in key pressure moments. I’ve clearly and with objective validity posted these distinctions time and again because it was a big issue. Thankfully they weren’t in the very last event. Does that mean he’s mentally ‘back’ or is it more the exception than the rule… well that we’ll just have to wait and see over the course of next season.

"There are plenty of specific shots and instances" but I have to go searching for them? And how exactly do you correlate these shots to his "mental issues" exactly? And not, for example, a mechanical problem with his swing? You make these claims but you can't give us 1 specific example and provide some support for your claim? Stop making it then. It's worthless.

Yeah, of course Tiger had to overcome mental challenges. Especially after sitting out for 2 years, coming off a spinal fusion, new swing, etc. My point is that's to be expected and totally normal. When you spoke of Tiger's "mental issues" you made it sound like an ongoing, abnormal problem that they he may or may not be able to overcome. My contention is that he still one of the more mentally strong on Tour. 7 top 10s and 12 top 25s in 18 tournaments (with a win at Tour Champ., 2nd at PGA Championship, T6 at The Open) seems decent for his first year back, no?

You make it sound like he's struggling to keep his card.

Many players actually perform better on the course than the range? I'm going to have to question your golf literacy if you actually believe this. It's two totally different animals, and an apples to oranges comparison. But just in terms of general ball striking, no above average Tour pro struggles on the range. I promise you they'd all love to carry the care free mentality they have on the range, to the course. I think Trevino once said that if he could bring his range swing to the course he'd be #1.

Frankly I don't think your Tiger range to Tiger course comparison is all that accurate either. Did you watch all of his range sessions? How? And we saw Tiger hit plenty of fairways off the first tee this year.

Again, you've presented no concrete evidence that Tiger had mental issues that were "holding him back in key pressure moments". At least not beyond what every golfer faces.

Not one piece of empirical evidence. You just keep repeating the same "theories" over and over and over and over [and over] with no support.

Stop being so lazy… the media and reporting on his on course problems being “mental” are fairly common place. Tip: Research Jamie Diaz highlighting Tiger’s mental issues stating Tiger is “struggling between the ears”.

Shilgy

"So you think Els and company were actually "afraid" of Tiger? Versus Rahm is just a fan? Lol."

Just think a little deeper about your opening line above… Rahm was a child who likely had idolising pictures of Tiger on his wall when growing up. Els in comparison was slightly older than Tiger and viewed Tiger as a direct competitor and threat - so completely different. I can safely say Els didn't have any fan/idolising posters of Tiger on his wall. Els perception of Tiger were also formed through multiple direct experiences of being beaten by him which would naturally leave some form of competitive scar tissue. Also, there are many many older pros from the Els/Tiger era who've openly stated they were often 'fearful' of a prowling Tiger. Today we hear the exact OPPOSITE from these fearless young guns, they have ZERO years of competitive scar tissue compared to Els & Co from the previous era and todays young guns openly want to play with and beat Tiger at his very best, and many of them have this season and recent years.

The dynamics between how both Rahm & Els grew up viewing Tiger then/today are worlds apart for the reasons and dynamics outlined. I do agree both Rahm & Els likely hold a common 'respect' for Tiger the golfer and his achievements, which is normal and natural.

Cmon, you should know this stuff.

this is like looking at a penny and saying you see heads and I see tails. Ernie and Company as you said were beat down(your phrase competitive scar tissue) by him for years and became intimidated. Intimidated, fearful, idolized, they all result in the same thing on the golf course. Belief that if they acknowledge the issue tiger will beat them.

“this is like looking at a penny and saying you see heads and I see tails”.… what I detailed above is the historical reality of how Rahm & Els have come to gain their perspectives on Tiger with one common link of respect for his playing record.

What isn’t debatable (if one has even a primitive understanding of psychology) is the RESULT & manner that Rahm BEAT Tiger. Not only this undeniable FACT but doing so in a such an impressive manner oozing confidence in an Alpha-dog tone. Rahm’s on the "golf course" performance was the exact OPPOSITE of a player “fearful” of his playing competitor. RESULTS & FACTS don’t lie my friend.

Here’s another layer of evidence further disproving your clearly biased theory.

Jon Rahm - Interview post Ryder Cup singles match after beating Tiger.

–––––––

“I played arguably the best golf of my life, particularly the last hole. I hit a perfect drive, wedge shot and then to make that putt, to be honest I didn’t see the ball go in, I just knew it was going in.”

–––––––

Again, is that the evidence of play & mindset of someone “fearful” of Tiger? As I said above, if one has even a primitive understanding of psychology the answer is OF COURSE NOT.

But please carry on ignoring these facts if it makes you sleep better at night ;)

Posting a few lines/quotes from this piece,

https://golfweek.com...ament-schedule/

Tiger Woods was at Pebble Beach Tuesday for the annual Tiger Woods Invitational.

“It’s still sinking in, because 80 is a big number,” Woods said. “I’ve won 80 times out there. That’s pretty cool. It hasn’t been easy. What validates it for me is the fact that I got a chance to go against Rory (McIlroy) head to head in the final group, and also (Justin Rose), who was tied with Rory, a group ahead. He’d just become the No. 1 player in the world. In order to get my first win in five years I had to beat those two guys. That makes it feel even more special.”

It took a lot out of Woods and seemed to catch up to him in France, where he went 0-4 in the U.S. Ryder Cup loss in the days following the victory. He was asked Monday if he’d have done anything differently had he been captain of that team.

“I’d like to change that L to a W,” Woods said. “That doesn’t feel very good, losing.”

Woods went on to say that fatigue was a big factor that week at Le Golf National.

“It was just a cumulative effect of the entire season,” Woods said. “I was tired because I hadn’t trained for it. I hadn’t trained this entire comeback to play this much golf and on top of that deal with the heat and the fatigue and the loss of weight.”

But Woods didn’t have to think long at all when he was asked which major he’s most looking forward to next year.

“Oh, that first one,” Woods said.

Sounds like Woods is counting down the days until the Masters like the rest of us.

Shilgy

"So you think Els and company were actually "afraid" of Tiger? Versus Rahm is just a fan? Lol."

Just think a little deeper about your opening line above… Rahm was a child who likely had idolising pictures of Tiger on his wall when growing up. Els in comparison was slightly older than Tiger and viewed Tiger as a direct competitor and threat - so completely different. I can safely say Els didn't have any fan/idolising posters of Tiger on his wall. Els perception of Tiger were also formed through multiple direct experiences of being beaten by him which would naturally leave some form of competitive scar tissue. Also, there are many many older pros from the Els/Tiger era who've openly stated they were often 'fearful' of a prowling Tiger. Today we hear the exact OPPOSITE from these fearless young guns, they have ZERO years of competitive scar tissue compared to Els & Co from the previous era and todays young guns openly want to play with and beat Tiger at his very best, and many of them have this season and recent years.

The dynamics between how both Rahm & Els grew up viewing Tiger then/today are worlds apart for the reasons and dynamics outlined. I do agree both Rahm & Els likely hold a common 'respect' for Tiger the golfer and his achievements, which is normal and natural.

this is like looking at a penny and saying you see heads and I see tails. Ernie and Company as you said were beat down(your phrase competitive scar tissue) by him for years and became intimidated. Intimidated, fearful, idolized, they all result in the same thing on the golf course. Belief that if they acknowledge the issue tiger will beat them.

“this is like looking at a penny and saying you see heads and I see tails”.… what I detailed above is the historical reality of how Rahm & Els have come to gain their perspectives on Tiger with one common link of respect for his playing record.

What isn’t debatable (if one has even a primitive understanding of psychology) is the RESULT & manner that Rahm BEAT Tiger. Not only this undeniable FACT but doing so in a such an impressive manner oozing confidence in an Alpha-dog tone. Rahm’s on the "golf course" performance was the exact OPPOSITE of a player “fearful” of his playing competitor. RESULTS & FACTS don’t lie my friend.

–––––––

“I played arguably the best golf of my life, particularly the last hole. I hit a perfect drive, wedge shot and then to make that putt, to be honest I didn’t see the ball go in, I just knew it was going in.”

–––––––

Again, is that the evidence of play & mindset of someone “fearful” of Tiger? As I said above, if one has even a primitive understanding of psychology the answer is OF COURSE NOT.

But please carry on ignoring these facts if it makes you sleep better at night ;)

Disagree completely. Alpha dogs don’t make this statement “ I told myself not to watch his shots , not to look him in the eye , just head down play my game “.

That’s what a guy does to try to bandaid his mind to face an alpha dog. You’ve got it backwards.

Rahm soothed his fear and beat tiger. Sure. A 42 year old snaggle toothed Cat. Could he have kept the pee from running down his leg vs the 22 year old version ? Lol. We both know the answer. Rahm isnt dumb. Hedidwhat hadtobe done to win. But it’s similar to holding your nose to swim or closing your eyes in a horror flick. He didn’t look so as to not trigger his flight reflex.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Shilgy

–––––––

–––––––

Do the fact that a top 10 professional played well against Woods process he was not fearful, intimidated, awestruck? Okey dokey then.

Keep on trucking cr.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar