Red Spider Tour - WTF!!! What a piece of crap

chair

I think its fair to say that if you cant putt with a spider then your next putter should be a tennis racquet lmao

In best Lee Corso voice: Not so fast my friend. I tried one of these and cannot putt with it to save my life. Some people just do not like mallets and especially a rather eccentric shaped mallet like a Spider. Some people are just blade people, some are just a standard mallet, and some are high MOI mallet guys.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So on a whim I bought a red spider - I owned one of the original spiders and liked it and love the red colour so I bought one without trying it.

Got it today - holy cow its garbage - felt like crap and ball went nowhere.... no Feel and you have to hammer it due to the soft insert. I think Ill stick to my Newport 2.

And what's with the crappy thin cheap grip??

Rant over.

i tried it out for a little bit in the store it felt fine the grip is cheap but for that price just spend a little more for the right scotty . the lie with it looked terrible when hitting the ball idk how so many people are playing with them. give me a notchback blade and its good to go

Yes. It's just terrible.

And that's why it's the number 1 ranked model of putter used on the PGA tour. It's just a terrible nasty POS and the best players in the world that can use anything they want keep choosing it.

Come on. Think before you post.

For the record, I don't have one but rolled it just fine in the stores.

I would like to see where this "number 1 ranked model of putter used on the PGA tour" info comes from and in what context.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Yes. It's just terrible.

And that's why it's the number 1 ranked model of putter used on the PGA tour. It's just a terrible nasty POS and the best players in the world that can use anything they want keep choosing it.

According to what data you read? I think you made that one up.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

Yes. It's just terrible.

Well when numbers 1,3,7,9 use the same make and model putter(color and insert notwithstanding) it's pretty easy to make that claim...

Oh jay I'm from the quad cities in Iowa....making that claim is just stupid lol everyone will have their own opinion about products and anyone who can use big putters will always hate the small putters and vice Versa. I'm a firm believer in whatever works for you is the best. My dad who is a pro has used the same scotty for 17 years and tries others here and there but always reverts back. But to say a putter is the number one on tour just because the top guys who could putt with any damn putter and still never 3 putt doesn't make a lick of sense. Did they always use that style? No so it's a matter of time before they will use something different in a season or two

I just put one in the bag and I think its a solid putter. Takes some time like any putter to dial in feel, but it fits my stroke and is very stable. I have cadet sized hands and I actually appreciate the smaller grip. Like any putter, not all are one size fits all. Use what works for YOU not anyone else, tour pro or your neighbor. The putter is the most overlooked club players don't get fit for.

Why would you buy a putter before hitting it??? I know I never would.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

count me in the camp of i dont see what the fuss is about .... i have 3 friends using it .. 1 putts well with it.. he putted well before..hes on staff with TM and got his free so he tried it and so far its stayed... I've used his, the black one and the red one.. unlike other mallets i cant even get it to work on short putts.. and long ones are just a guess at best... no thanks.. and for what its worth.. both black ones ive had in hand sat wide open.. like 4 degrees or so .. looked like a good looking 3 wood at address..lol

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Yes. It's just terrible.

If you think the same clubs we buy at big box stores is the same that they are using on your, specifically DJ and JD, are using on tour then your delusional. Same goes for balls. There is how many different versions of the Prov1 on tour? Dozens!

Sergio's spider, as well at the others (DJ, JD, Rahm)are the same as the model we are buying, just look at the photos... The myth of "every club the pros play is different than ours" gets frustrating. Yes they often have access to "tour issue" things, and we see them on here but these spider putters are not one of them.

Sergio's- same as off the rack right now

Rahm - older sole plate, same model

DJ - older sole plate, same model

JD - older sole plate, red Model from the stores, different from his major winning hand welded, hand-made black model that was sold with exclusivity from the vault, the neck is different looking from these new models, on account of the non-manufactured process

You should do a little research. Looks can be deceiving.

I suppose you think the M1 and M2 drivers the tour players use are just like the ones in the stores......

TM has been infamous over the years for having three or four models of their current drivers, fairways, irons, wedges, and putters that look just like the retail version but are not like the retail version. These models are made for tour players.

Sergio's putter may LOOK like the OTR model, but I assure you it is not. Just as his driver, irons, woods, etc. look like OTR equipment. Again, not the case.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Yes. It's just terrible.

If you think the same clubs we buy at big box stores is the same that they are using on your, specifically DJ and JD, are using on tour then your delusional. Same goes for balls. There is how many different versions of the Prov1 on tour? Dozens!

Sergio's spider, as well at the others (DJ, JD, Rahm)are the same as the model we are buying, just look at the photos... The myth of "every club the pros play is different than ours" gets frustrating. Yes they often have access to "tour issue" things, and we see them on here but these spider putters are not one of them.

JD - older sole plate, red Model from the stores, different from his major winning hand welded, hand-made black model that was sold with exclusivity from the vault, the neck is different looking from these new models, on account of the non-manufactured process

I suppose you think the M1 and M2 drivers the tour players use are just like the ones in the stores......

TM has been infamous over the years for having three or four models of their current drivers, fairways, irons, wedges, and putters that look just like the retail version but are not like the retail version. These models are made for tour players.

Sergio's putter may LOOK like the OTR model, but I assure you it is not. Just as his driver, irons, woods, etc. look like OTR equipment. Again, not the case.

But, it's a putter... I am aware, as we all are that Scotty Cameron's Circle T models have different headshapes, different materials, different finishes, etc. that are not on his OTR models. it's extremely obvious for a putter. But, look at these Taylormade Spiders, Jon Rahm, Sergio, DJ, JD all of them they look the same and feature the same insert, what are you proposing is different about them?

I know these players have tour only equipment, i know how different they are, ive owned and held in my hands the dramatic differences between woods, size, how open the face is, etc. but the differences are noteworthy and can be seen on closer inspection.

Until someone can show or tell me why these spiders would be different from the models brought to market, i see no dramatic differences.

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

count me in the camp of i dont see what the fuss is about .... i have 3 friends using it .. 1 putts well with it.. he putted well before..hes on staff with TM and got his free so he tried it and so far its stayed... I've used his, the black one and the red one.. unlike other mallets i cant even get it to work on short putts.. and long ones are just a guess at best... no thanks.. and for what its worth.. both black ones ive had in hand sat wide open.. like 4 degrees or so .. looked like a good looking 3 wood at address..lol

Please don't start the "Some of These Sit Open" debate again. I felt we all lost a few years of our lives debating that one on here a few weeks back ?

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

Yes. It's just terrible.

But, it's a putter... I am aware, as we all are that Scotty Cameron's Circle T models have different headshapes, different materials, different finishes, etc. that are not on his OTR models. it's extremely obvious for a putter. But, look at these Taylormade Spiders, Jon Rahm, Sergio, DJ, JD all of them they look the same and feature the same insert, what are you proposing is different about them?

I know these players have tour only equipment, i know how different they are, ive owned and held in my hands the dramatic differences between woods, size, how open the face is, etc. but the differences are noteworthy and can be seen on closer inspection.

Until someone can show or tell me why these spiders would be different from the models brought to market, i see no dramatic differences.

They may have the same shape and weight but I assure the tour version is very different. For one the inserts are different (the red insert is made from unicorn horn and the black one from the petrified fang of an alpha male saber tooth tiger) and feel totally different. Also the tour ones sit square.

The inserts are made from unicorn horn and the petrified fang of an alpha male saber tooth tiger? Are you kidding me? You are so off the mark.

Both inserts are made from the fangs of the basilisk snake that was in the second Harry Potter movie. Please do your research before you post on here!

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

Please don't start the "Some of These Sit Open" debate again. I felt we all lost a few years of our lives debating that one on here a few weeks back ?

Sorry Man. But I noticed it way before that thread started. It's bad with some of them. Like super open.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Sorry Man. But I noticed it way before that thread started. It's bad with some of them. Like super open.

I 100% agree with you. Some of them sit appallingly open. It's borderline embarrassing for Taylormade.

Yet, you had people on here in their droves saying things such as "No, it's depends on if you have a forward press or not" and "It's purely based on how you address the ball and nothing to do with the putter." Give me a break. It was frustrating to read and for me to bite my tongue.

If anyone walked into a shop and you rolled 10 different models of the red or black, you could see yourself that at least half of them (based on my own experience and others who posted on here), that they would sit open through no manipulation of the stroke.

Before someone jumps on me for ragging on this product, as I know these putters work wonders for some, I'm not. My issue is that it's brutal quality control on Taylormade's part.

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

I'm getting conflicting reports....are the off the rack putters the same as tour stuff...or cheaply made high margin wannabe sticks?

I tried the red and black while buying my Evnroll and the TM putters felt cheap to me as well. It wasn't just one thing either but next to Edel, Evnroll, Scotty the TM's just intangibly felt and looked cheap. My opinion may be biased as many TM clubs have looked/felt that way to me in the past. It wouldn't surprise me if these contain a bit more Chinesium than what the tour guys are playing with.

The inserts are made from unicorn horn and the petrified fang of an alpha male saber tooth tiger? Are you kidding me? You are so off the mark.

Both inserts are made from the fangs of the basilisk snake that was in the second Harry Potter movie. Please do your research before you post on here!

New theory, the PureRoll inserts are horcruxes containing pieces of Jason Day's soul, every time a player wins without using one he gets weaker (ie. a runny nose) and must withdraw from the next weeks tournament.

Yes. It's just terrible.

For the record, I don't have one but rolled it just fine in the stores.

I would like to see where this "number 1 ranked model of putter used on the PGA tour" info comes from and in what context.

I've seen it multiple places but this is where I first read it. I believe it is the number one model on the LPGA as well now.

http://newsroom.taylormadegolf.com/142927-the-new-1-on-tour

I will try and find a video interview that states the spider tour is likely to be the number one played model on EVERY major tour before the end of the year at the current switch rate.

Yes. It's just terrible.

See previous post. I've read it and heard it multiple places. I'm no fan boy that makes stuff up.

Hell, I use a ratty old ghost spider that looks like it's been beaten with an ugly stick. Damn TM white paint never stays on anything. Just Crap.

Just got my Red and it sits perfectly square and feels awesome. The Pure Roll really does make the ball hig the ground nicely. The Red's insert is not as soft as I thought it would be.

Not a piece of crap in my opinion.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick