Ping putters

boycer

Just received my dad’s oldie but goodie Ping Anser 3, from Nor_Cal Putters in Auburn, CA. I would have rather sent out a Scotty for him but other than a JBlade also by Ping, this was his longest gamer. They offer a ton of different looks at really decent prices. I had the face milled (not originally milled), initials stamped, and red paintfill on sight line and initials. Black paintfill was used in original Ping Anser 3 stamp and Pings patent etc on back. But now my fear is this is too shiny and too nice to game. Maybe even over the top? I’ve included a few pictures at different angles of address to catch the light. I may be forced to shadowbox or display this one and take a more muted approach on the JBlade.

Thoughts? In the end it’s up to him but I feel in the middle of the day it may be too distracting for him and his playing partners. Hell maybe those teeing off behind him, those ahead of him if they look back, and The ISS if anyone is aboard it these days!

Lovely putter. What model of Iomic grip is on it?

Thanks! We’ll see come Christmas what Pops decides to do with it. Going to go ahead with getting the JBlade done for him in case.

i-Classic Mid 72g.

Actually learned something when I went to separate the putter head from the old shaft. Discovered the ball and pressure lock in this putter head. Does Ping still do this? Kind of cool.

Just received my dads oldie but goodie Ping Anser 3, from Nor_Cal Putters in Auburn, CA. I would have rather sent out a Scotty for him but other than a JBlade also by Ping, this was his longest gamer. They offer a ton of different looks at really decent prices. I had the face milled (not originally milled), initials stamped, and red paintfill on sight line and initials. Black paintfill was used in original Ping Anser 3 stamp and Pings patent etc on back. But now my fear is this is too shiny and too nice to game. Maybe even over the top? Ive included a few pictures at different angles of address to catch the light. I may be forced to shadowbox or display this one and take a more muted approach on the JBlade.

Thoughts? In the end its up to him but I feel in the middle of the day it may be too distracting for him and his playing partners. Hell maybe those teeing off behind him, those ahead of him if they look back, and The ISS if anyone is aboard it these days!

Thanks! Well see come Christmas what Pops decides to do with it. Going to go ahead with getting the JBlade done for him in case.

i-Classic Mid 72g.

Actually learned something when I went to separate the putter head from the old shaft. Discovered the ball and pressure lock in this putter head. Does Ping still do this? Kind of cool.

They no longer do this. Curious, how did you get the shaft out?

Just received my dad’s oldie but goodie Ping Anser 3, from Nor_Cal Putters in Auburn, CA. I would have rather sent out a Scotty for him but other than a JBlade also by Ping, this was his longest gamer. They offer a ton of different looks at really decent prices. I had the face milled (not originally milled), initials stamped, and red paintfill on sight line and initials. Black paintfill was used in original Ping Anser 3 stamp and Pings patent etc on back. But now my fear is this is too shiny and too nice to game. Maybe even over the top? I’ve included a few pictures at different angles of address to catch the light. I may be forced to shadowbox or display this one and take a more muted approach on the JBlade.

Thoughts? In the end it’s up to him but I feel in the middle of the day it may be too distracting for him and his playing partners. Hell maybe those teeing off behind him, those ahead of him if they look back, and The ISS if anyone is aboard it these days!

Thanks! We’ll see come Christmas what Pops decides to do with it. Going to go ahead with getting the JBlade done for him in case.

i-Classic Mid 72g.

They no longer do this. Curious, how did you get the shaft out?

DSG employee/buddy warmed up the hossle and used graphite shaft extractor. It took some time but eventually came out and would caution anyone against doing the same! :) No damage to head or socket, and since I was not keeping the shaft I wasn’t worrried.

Shaft is now sad in the corner.

Edit: How could I forget this? Not giving Nor_Cal enough credit, here are the before of the head as well.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of unusual Redwood Ansers for your perusal, one greyed-out custom and one prototype.

I love this thread - let's keep it going!

• PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

I have a Scottsdale TR Craz-E, I am looking forward to trying the new Sigma G Craz-E.

Whats in my Ping Hoofer?

Taylor Made / SLDR-S / Mini Driver
Taylor Made / SLDR-S / 15*
Adams / Tight Lies / 16*
Taylor Made / SLDR-S / 3 & 4
Callaway / X20 Tour / 5-PW
Cleveland / CG12 / 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey / Metal X / #6

I'll post my latest: WRX Redwood w/ starshot finish, sound slot and not sight line.

Good looking putter. Did PING Wrx department do the sound slot for you?

Yes, Ping did the work. Sound slot goes through the cavity rather than the flange.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

• 2 weeks later...
I'll post my latest: WRX Redwood w/ starshot finish, sound slot and not sight line.

Yes, Ping did the work. Sound slot goes through the cavity rather than the flange.

'

how different did it feel after the sound slot ?

why did you opt to go thru the cavity rather than the flange? what difference does it make ?

im looking to do the same to mine, just looking for feedback.

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

I don’t understand why Ping does their slots that way. Straight through the flange wouldn’t be visible at address if it was right against the face/hidden by the back of the top line.

Just into the face would be fine as well.

Seems like the extra cut just wastes a few more grams of head weight.

The cavity cut sound slot drives me crazy! It doesn't give the same resonance as the flange cut, and gives the putter a terrible feel IMO.

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

'

how different did it feel after the sound slot ?

why did you opt to go thru the cavity rather than the flange? what difference does it make ?

im looking to do the same to mine, just looking for feedback.

I'm not the original owner, so the cavity vs flange slot wasn't my decision. Personally, I'd prefer a flange slot like the old Ansers, but honestly, I'd rather not have the sound slot on the Redwood as I think it takes away from the milled feel. If it was a cast putter it wouldn't bother me. I was looking for a nice condition Starshot Redwood and this thing looks brand new. It didn't have the sightline, so that plus the sound slot made it more unique. The price was right and I couldn't pass it up.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 

• 4 months later...

What would the finish of a Stainless Anser look like if you sandblasted it?

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

rolled a bunch at golf gallaxy with a used Ping Redwood anser I should have bought $99. felt it was to much but that was a sweet putter very solid feel

made me want one.

Was it in very good or excellent condition? If i was you, I’d get back to the store and buy it for that price if it’s look near brand new. I’m fortunate enough to currently own 3 Redwoods (platinum Anser, satin Anser and a Starshot ZB all in excellent condition but I would pay above $99 for a Redwood Anser in very good condition due to how scarce they are nowadays.

I have rolled everything and I haven’t discovered a better feeling or solid milled putter. I don’t think you’ll regret purchasing it.

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

Tried a couple of the Vault 2.0 putters today.... I am super impressed. Just wish the price tag wasn't so high, but I will try an get my hands on one eventually. I really liked the feel of the ZB but putted better with the Dale Anser. Great looking putters though and the balls feel fantastic off the face.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found a Vault 2.0 Ketsch to try out at Golf Galaxy. Great feel and look. Sure made me want one but the $300 price tag made me reluctantly put it back on the rack. But I think I’ll end up with one at some point.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

I finally found a Vault 2.0 Ketsch to try out at Golf Galaxy. Great feel and look. Sure made me want one but the $300 price tag made me reluctantly put it back on the rack. But I think I'll end up with one at some point.

Love the Vault 2.0s, but @ $150 diff. here, am I going to putt better vs. Sigma G? If money was no object, I would buy a Vault 2.0.

Ping Traverse

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

TM P790 5-AW

TM Hi Toe 3 54/58*

TM TP Black Soto

TP5

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

29394b24b46295c4657bb7d21d3e3a9b.jpg

c711a5e84aeb85bdc4c24c257ccbb30b.jpg

baab7d30385a0bf998ea61e3a2357ada.jpg

aaa03192f8d983071b0f12cbbb8841a8.jpg

55ef04b056af932de03c2e265d8feaed.jpg

Sold this a few years back

Went overseas for a pretty penny

• Like 1

PING 410+ Alta 10.5
Callaway Flash SZ HZRDS Smoke 15*
TEE CBX 20*
PING i500 4-6, iBlade 7-PW DG S300 120’s
PING 2.0 Stealth 50ss 54ss 60ss
PING Redwood Anser

Don't worry Ron... I still own the 5-wood.... It's up on the mantle doing it's best impression of wall art

For years i have tried to convice myself as someone who played this game for almost 20 years that traditional anser style blades are the best but far from reality, the forgiveness and moi of a mallet does not hurt, saying that for me, one of the best all time is the ketsch, i currently game the cadence tr and last week roll a friend’s vault 2.0 in the putting green, it feels better? Marginaly but i don’t see mine out of the bag anytime soon

• 4 weeks later...

Got my #2 grail Jim Wells Anser 2.....

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Got my #2 grail Jim Wells Anser 2.....

Speechless...any idea on headweight?

If my crap math is close around 335-340

It's a 2015 "S" build. He must've been bored and went back to work for a day or two :)

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

• 4 months later...
I never thought I'd find a putter that would knock my late dad's Ping JBlade out of my bag, but I've been rolling this Ping D66 for a couple years now and love it.

b66bjpg.jpg

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but what variant of the D66 is this?

Looks like the iwi D66. I have the Redwood D66 and i can’t recommend it enough!

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P