2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade P730

GMN_02

For $1800 cdn they should come with any shaft you want......

I looked at the specs and there is a lot more offset in these compared to Mizuno MP18's. Double the offset in lower irons.

Maybe I'm missing something since Mizuno lists their specs in inches and TMag lists them in millimeters, but isn't this the other way around? It appears to me that these have less offset than the MP18s, but maybe I'm converting the numbers wrong. I am American after all and we generally suck with the metric system.

Imperial system or nothing. Those using metric are out of their minds. Because #Merica! (I kid of course...but not really)

I had the chance to hit the MP18 and they look stellar to me, the offset was minimal at best. If the 730s have even less and a thinner topline these things are going to be butter knives. Might have to get a set just to have and to remind myself of the days that I could or at least thought I could play blades.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canada is 100% metric.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Canada is 100% metric.

Not really. Golf in yards, your heigh in feet and inches, your weight in pounds.

Golf yes. Feet, inches and pounds no. People may speak in feet, inches and pounds as it is easier to understand but government issued identification is all in metric.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Heard the P730 heads were beginning to show up in fitting carts, so I stopped by the local PGA Tour Superstore hoping they had one to demo...and YES! I hit around 15 shots with a Modus 130S in the 7-iron and my initial impression is that this iron is everything I had hoped it would be.

In person, this iron looks even better than I hoped it would. The blade length was perfect, the topline was great, and the toe has the rounded shape I prefer. At address, I felt like there was no way to not hit a great shot. Need to see the short irons in person, but so far so good.

Feel...flush it and it feels like the best blade you've ever hit. Mis-hit it a bit and you'll feel it. None of this should be surprising--it's a blade after all--but I call it out because a lot of folks have had issues with the feel of TaylorMade irons over the last 5 years. I will be shocked if people complain about the feel of these. So pure.

From a forgiveness standpoint, there's not much to say. Miss towards the toe or heel and you'll loose some distance like with any blade. But I did notice some help in the vertical direction when missing by a groove or so.

My only complaint is that they aren't supposed to be available until Nov 3 according to the TaylorMade site. If I could, I'd put them into the bag immediately.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9.0, Ventus TR Blue 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade 300 Mini Blackout 13.5, Ventus Black 7X, 43"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), Ventus TR Red 7X, 42.5"

TaylorMade P770 3 (2023), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG Raw 52, DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2024)

My WITB Post

Goodness I wish I could justify blades, the performance decrease is just not worth it. But I will stare at these all day without an issue!

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

Heard the P730 heads were beginning to show up in fitting carts, so I stopped by the local PGA Tour Superstore hoping they had one to demo...and YES! I hit around 15 shots with a Modus 130S in the 7-iron and my initial impression is that this iron is everything I had hoped it would be.

In person, this iron looks even better than I hoped it would. The blade length was perfect, the topline was great, and the toe has the rounded shape I prefer. At address, I felt like there was no way to not hit a great shot. Need to see the short irons in person, but so far so good.

Feel...flush it and it feels like the best blade you've ever hit. Mis-hit it a bit and you'll feel it. None of this should be surprising--it's a blade after all--but I call it out because a lot of folks have had issues with the feel of TaylorMade irons over the last 5 years. I will be shocked if people complain about the feel of these. So pure.

From a forgiveness standpoint, there's not much to say. Miss towards the toe or heel and you'll loose some distance like with any blade. But I did notice some help in the vertical direction when missing by a groove or so.

My only complaint is that they aren't supposed to be available until Nov 3 according to the TaylorMade site. If I could, I'd put them into the bag immediately.

Any comparison to MP 18? Or the 2014 MBs you could offer up in terms of looks at address??

Any comparison to MP 18? Or the 2014 MBs you could offer up in terms of looks at address??

I would also be very interested in a comparison between the P730 and the MP and the Titleist 718 MB. Did you have he chance to hit all 3 of them? Thanks.

I would also be very interested in a comparison between the P730 and the MP and the Titleist 718 MB. Did you have he chance to hit all 3 of them? Thanks.

I haven't hit the 718 MB, but I hit the MP-18 a couple of weeks ago. Cosmetically, the P-730 and MP-18 are similar, but the MP-18 has what I would call a very traditional Mizuno look at address. If you like that look, you'll like the MP-18. Personally, there are things I dislike about it. Not a fan of the way the hosel transitions into the face and I don't like the toe. From a feel perspective, I thought the P-730 felt slightly better, but both were good.

As for the comparisons to the 2014 Tour Preferred MB, keep in mind I only hit a 7-iron in the P-730, but visually I prefer the 730s because the reduced offset is slight but noticeable. It's been a couple of years since I hit the 2014 MB, so I can't really give any comparisons with regard to feel and performance.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9.0, Ventus TR Blue 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade 300 Mini Blackout 13.5, Ventus Black 7X, 43"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), Ventus TR Red 7X, 42.5"

TaylorMade P770 3 (2023), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG Raw 52, DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2024)

My WITB Post

I haven't hit the 718 MB, but I hit the MP-18 a couple of weeks ago. Cosmetically, the P-730 and MP-18 are similar, but the MP-18 has what I would call a very traditional Mizuno look at address. If you like that look, you'll like the MP-18. Personally, there are things I dislike about it. Not a fan of the way the hosel transitions into the face and I don't like the toe. From a feel perspective, I thought the P-730 felt slightly better, but both were good.

As for the comparisons to the 2014 Tour Preferred MB, keep in mind I only hit a 7-iron in the P-730, but visually I prefer the 730s because the reduced offset is slight but noticeable. It's been a couple of years since I hit the 2014 MB, so I can't really give any comparisons with regard to feel and performance.

Thanks a lot! Did you ever hit the Mizuno MP-4s, and if yes how would you compare those with the P730? Thanks.

Awesome! Appreciate the feedback. I play the 14 MBs and have been dying to see the 730s. So far I've seen the MP 18 which I thought looked and felt quite nice, and 718s were not at all for me from a lookor feel perspective. Love my current irons but will attempt some new shaft options. Again, appreciate the feedback.

Was able to see and hit the 730s today. Top line similar to 718 and smaller then MP18. Length looks a little longer than 718 and maybe a little taller toe but not by much. They look awesome in person. Was surprised to find the sole of club is pretty thick for a blade. Almost the same as AP2. Would assume lower cog and have a little higher launch. Only hit with very light shaft. Also hit the 718s with s300 and px 6. Look forward to hearing more about the 730 when they become available. Was very impressed and will come down to the 718 or 730s for me. Played MP-32 for years and loved look of MP-4, didn't care for the 5 and was excited for the 18, but just don't like the top line or the 9 or pw at address.

Posted this in another thread.

Ping G410+ 9° with tour shaft
Titleist TSR3 19 hybrid

Ping S55 3-pw x100
Vokey 52/56/60
Scotty Newport 2

Was able to see and hit the 730s today. Top line similar to 718 and smaller then MP18. Length looks a little longer than 718 and maybe a little taller toe but not by much. They look awesome in person. Was surprised to find the sole of club is pretty thick for a blade. Almost the same as AP2. Would assume lower cog and have a little higher launch. Only hit with very light shaft. Also hit the 718s with s300 and px 6. Look forward to hearing more about the 730 when they become available. Was very impressed and will come down to the 718 or 730s for me. Played MP-32 for years and loved look of MP-4, didn't care for the 5 and was excited for the 18, but just don't like the top line or the 9 or pw at address.

Did you hit the Apex MBs by chance? I’m interested in P730s vs Apex MBs.

I got both. They both felt great but 730 was harder to hit.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

I hit the P730 7-iron and the APEX MB 7-iron this evening on the sim for about 40 mins. Agree with Golfjunki, the 730 was way harder to hit for some reason. I was swinging with PX 6.0 on both. Rough 160 carry with the 730 and about 164 with the Cally. But for some reason finding the sweet spot on the 730 was a 1 in 5 proposition. Meanwhile on the Cally it was a 4 in 5 average.

The new Cally MB's are just straight filthy. Its no contest. They didn't have the the RAW version in the demo rack yet.

Same shafts? Would be interested to know why any blade would be harder to hit than the other...

New Bag in the making...

I hit the P730 7-iron and the APEX MB 7-iron this evening on the sim for about 40 mins. Agree with Golfjunki, the 730 was way harder to hit for some reason. I was swinging with PX 6.0 on both. Rough 160 carry with the 730 and about 164 with the Cally. But for some reason finding the sweet spot on the 730 was a 1 in 5 proposition. Meanwhile on the Cally it was a 4 in 5 average.

The new Cally MB's are just straight filthy. Its no contest. They didn't have the the RAW version in the demo rack yet.

So there is going to be a raw version of he call Cally mb for sure?

Same shafts? Would be interested to know why any blade would be harder to hit than the other...

Type of metal used in the forging, the thickness of the "muscle" in the muscleback, and the actually size or length of the blade itself (length and height). The 730 is believed to be slightly shorter from heel to toe (comparison was to the MP-18s).

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

Hit some the other day, and they were surprisingly easy to hit, I will still keep my 790 as I am a hack but dang they look nice and feel good.

Were you able to hit them against the new Cally MB by chance?

Believe it or not I did yesterday. Both felt really good and cally was easy to hit as well. For me I felt a little more confident with the 730 and hit them better.

Hit some the other day, and they were surprisingly easy to hit, I will still keep my 790 as I am a hack but dang they look nice and feel good.

Were you able to hit them against the new Cally MB by chance?

Believe it or not I did yesterday. Both felt really good and cally was easy to hit as well. For me I felt a little more confident with the 730 and hit them better.

Thanks for the info. My iron selection for 18 will be either these or the Callys.