Could a Scratch Golfer break 85 at Augusta?

golfer929

Augusta is not some magical course that brings everyone to their knees. Its a course that old rich hacks play all day. If 14 handicaps can survive, a scratch can too. The toughest challenge would be the short game. Not having a caddy would be stupid though.

Right but members play it a lot and with tees that are prob 500-700 yards shorter than Master tees

Yes, the shorter tees are easier. But post after post had implied that the greens are kryptonite and unplayable for mortals. Yes they are faster and firmer for the Masters. But they are not unplayable. They are not the US Open at Shinnecock.

Titleist TSR3 9° Tensei Pro Blue 60 

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

• 1 month later...

Lucky enough to have played it in 2007.

I was plus 1 (U.K. Hcp) the time and played with 2 scratch players and a member.

Yes to a caddie, but I think they double bagged it so of limited help.

Played off the Masters tees which were 7450.

In November so the ball wasn't running but the greens were only about 11.

Hit irons into about 3 of the par 4s the rest was 3 wood or rescue, unbelievably long. 11th just goes on for ever and ever!

I played out of my socks for 79, other two were 81 each.

Stick the greens up to tournament speed and sub 85 on your first round there would be a seriously impressive task for a scratch golfer.

I was plus 1 (U.K. Hcp) the time and played with 2 scratch players and a member.

Hit irons into about 3 of the par 4s the rest was 3 wood or rescue, unbelievably long. 11th just goes on for ever and ever!

Stick the greens up to tournament speed and sub 85 on your first round there would be a seriously impressive task for a scratch golfer.

Welcome and thanks for the insight!

hacker!!

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

excellent playing and congrats!!...

i guess this answers the op's question...once and for all.

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

How far do you carry your driver ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

A few years back I played Galloway National from the back tees. I'd only ever played the course previously in a couple of charity scrambles from the whites. At the time my index was a 6.3 Its the hardest test of golf I've played. I shot 84 that day and even though its 10 shots higher than my best scores on other courses I consider it one of my best ever rounds. The greens killed me that round too with a number of 3-putts on the card and several easy missed birdie opportunities on the ridiculously challenging greens. I'm not sure how the two courses compare but on paper their course rating and slope are not far apart. The numbers on this course are 75.4/146 and 7,111 yards and the course is right at sea level so its long. It is a par 71. The longest hole from the back is 584 and the shortest is 152 and has one par 3 that plays 253 down hill and another that plays 211. The course is a beast from the back.

Based on my experience as a 6.3 breaking 85 on this course I don't think a scratch player would have much difficulty at all breaking 85 at Augusta and may even break 80 frequently.

Hi SurfDuffer,

sorry, but this experience is next to useless! You played a flat course at sea level you have played before, which is completely different from the task discussed here. Simply comparing long and short holes and claiming that this is the hardest course YOU know, and hence Augusta National can't be that much more difficult is kind of funny, if you ask me.

The stuff Marcusfj wrote makes complete sense to me, as he has played the course this thread is all about (and even he didn't play it under the conditions we are talking about here). Comparing apples to oranges proves nothing.

i broke 80 first time i played congressional.. and i am not scratch these days..so why can't a scratch player break 85 at Augusta...of course it can be done.

I have played Amen Corner..in 1 under... Renditions Golf Course

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

excellent playing and congrats!!...

i guess this answers the op's question...once and for all.

Not at all. its a great achievement but he played in november. remember the OP is sunday tournment conditions/pins.If he shot 81 and 79 then breaking 85 would be very tough for him.13.5 greens and sunday pins will easily add 6-7 shots.

i broke 80 first time i played congressional.. and i am not scratch these days..so why can't a scratch player break 85 at Augusta...of course it can be done.

respectfully thats a horrible analogy. Have you attended a masters? if you did you wouldnt be comparing those 2 places...

I think it is doable, a lot tougher without a practice round. I shot 76 on the third day of playing Oakland Hills two weeks before the Harrington PGA win. The rough was tougher when I played compared to what it was for the tournament, but the greens were slower as well. Doable on a good day.

From tournament tees?

We used to debate that in college, and the general consensus is yes a scratch player could, IF he could get over it being the masters. We had a player from our conference play the Masters during the week (his father is a past masters champ) so he'd play Augusta yearly under tournament conditions he was shooting mid 70s

Hi SurfDuffer,

sorry, but this experience is next to useless! You played a flat course at sea level you have played before, which is completely different from the task discussed here. Simply comparing long and short holes and claiming that this is the hardest course YOU know, and hence Augusta National can't be that much more difficult is kind of funny, if you ask me.

The stuff Marcusfj wrote makes complete sense to me, as he has played the course this thread is all about (and even he didn't play it under the conditions we are talking about here). Comparing apples to oranges proves nothing.

I think you'd be surprised how not flat this course is. I also posted its slope and course rating which are fairly close to those of Augusta. Its a more difficult course the Baltisrol where the PGA Championship was played 2 years ago. Just seems you will say anything to discount any opinion other than your own.

didnt read the OP ....but talked with a guy yesterday who shot 78 last year when he played as a guest of callaway ( not sure of callaways ties but that was his in ).... Hes technically a teaching pro , but ive played many rounds with him and scratch accurately describes his handicapif he kept one.... he isnt plus anything.. ive seen him shoot 78 80 85 in pro-ams etc and many many 72-75 rounds ... not sure whuy folks think this is imposible unless yuour trying to say sunday masters week round... which is stupid to say... not many do well under that pressure the first time... that argument is about pressure not that course

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

respectfully thats a horrible analogy. Have you attended a masters? if you did you wouldnt be comparing those 2 places...

i have not.. based on TV and over the years..Augusta is an easier driving course than Congressional which is a US Open ready track..remember if a scratch player's objective is to break 85... he lays up on all par 5s for par objective. Takes bogey on the watery holes, 11 for example, get's lucky on 12...16.. you are a little overwhelmed by your obsession with Augusta..it's a golf course...a scratch player can break 85. Relax...maybe you can't break 90 there...

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Hi SurfDuffer,

I think you'd be surprised how not flat this course is. I also posted its slope and course rating which are fairly close to those of Augusta. Its a more difficult course the Baltisrol where the PGA Championship was played 2 years ago. Just seems you will say anything to discount any opinion other than your own.

I honestly don't care what any course in the world has slope-wise, looks-wise or rough-wise.

This: Stipulations are no caddie, no cart, no walking the course beforehand, and 1 hour warmup before the round. Sunday tournament conditions, from the back tees.

at Augusta National is the task we are talking about here. Any experience from any other course played somewhere somehow under whatever conditions is useless.

What Marcusfj said makes total sense to me, any "i have played a US Open course from the members tees with no rough and slow greens and shot an easy 79" is bunk.

Hi SurfDuffer,

I honestly don't care what any course in the world has slope-wise, looks-wise or rough-wise.

This: Stipulations are no caddie, no cart, no walking the course beforehand, and 1 hour warmup before the round. Sunday tournament conditions, from the back tees.

at Augusta National is the task we are talking about here. Any experience from any other course played somewhere somehow under whatever conditions is useless.

What Marcusfj said makes total sense to me, any "i have played a US Open course from the members tees with no rough and slow greens and shot an easy 79" is bunk.

i guess this conditions would only be met if they allowed play after the last flight has teed off on Masters sunday..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

didnt read the OP ....but talked with a guy yesterday who shot 78 last year when he played as a guest of callaway ( not sure of callaways ties but that was his in ).... Hes technically a teaching pro , but ive played many rounds with him and scratch accurately describes his handicapif he kept one.... he isnt plus anything.. ive seen him shoot 78 80 85 in pro-ams etc and many many 72-75 rounds ... not sure whuy folks think this is imposible unless yuour trying to say sunday masters week round... which is stupid to say... not many do well under that pressure the first time... that argument is about pressure not that course

Yeah I think thats fitting.

What the greens give up in strokes due to speed and undulation you make up with generous driving and safety. Not a heck of a lot of trouble out there. No real OBs anywhere, wide fairways and you almost always have a bail out.

We're talking 4-5 pars, a couple doubles and a bunch of bogeys. Throw in a miracle birdie or two and you are under 85.

I think the OP asked "could they break 85" and I have no doubt they :::could:: definitely not every single scratch out there as they arent all equal, but many guys could IMO.

i have not.. based on TV and over the years..Augusta is an easier driving course than Congressional which is a US Open ready track..remember if a scratch player's objective is to break 85... he lays up on all par 5s for par objective. Takes bogey on the watery holes, 11 for example, get's lucky on 12...16.. you are a little overwhelmed by your obsession with Augusta..it's a golf course...a scratch player can break 85. Relax...maybe you can't break 90 there...

Easy there..Congressional is a fine course and i have played there several times.Its not in augustas stratosphere. im a+4 mini tour pro and am not obsessed with augusta.I respect the historic difficulty of that course, thers no other place like it on earth.ive been there and know the actual reality of the demands that the op sets forth. When you see #2 & 8 & 13 & 15 in person and you see how difficult it is to layup on those par 5s when the fairway slopes 30-35 degrees downhill and the tightest lie possible those arent bogey holes, theyre doubles waiting to happen. you wouldnt break 95 there simply because of your arrogant attitude.youd be brought back to earth real fast after doubling or tripling #1. ive seen wednesday practice rounds where top tour guys were 4 putting, incapable of stopping certain chips and bunker shots, tiger included fyi. You know not what you speak of. if augusta ever added a us open style rough yikes almost impossible to hold those greens. Read the OPs scenario again before chiming in. shooting 80 at a US open course not in us open conditions from members tees has severally clouded your judgment

When I was a 2 HC, myself and 3 friends played Pebble Beach from the back tees, I shot 80 and the others were in the low 80's. The greens were not as fast as Augusta. I think that a scratch player could shoot under 85 at Augusta. The U.S. Senior Amateur champion gets to play the Masters, and from the back tees at Augusta will not be a + HC and they usually break 85.

you should its specific and it will give you pause