2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Job in Golf

golfpar112

I am looking in getting a job in golf once i retire from my current job. I will be around 40 years old by then. I would like to do anything from a pro shop manager, Club Salesman to a club Pro. I am a 6 HC now just playing and not a lot of practice and just addicted to the game. Does anyone work in golf? have any Pros and Cons? Thanks

Mike

3 wood Nike covert stiff shaft
3 Adams A4 idea hybrids
4-PW Nike VR combo irons
52, 56, 60 Callway Mac daddy wedges
Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 #9

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use the search function and you will find a ton of threads on people who have asked this same question. You’re in a little different boat because you will be retired and it sounds like you won’t need money to support a family with kids. This seems like it would be just a fun gig for you, right?

My first reaction would have been to tell you to never work in the industry of your addiction. I can’t take credit for that insight, my drug dealer was the first one to tell me that. I have worked in the golf industry and I can say first hand that this is the most sound advice you’ll get from a drug dealer. Working in golf is cool if you like long hours, little money, and watching other people play.

I would look at a golf job that gets you outside, as close to the game as possible. Starter, caddy, ranger, or grounds crew would all be ways to go about it. If you take an inside job, you’ll be looking out the window all day. Once you get your foot in the door, other opportunities will pop up. Get to know the big OEM club reps once you start working at a course. They’re always looking for a tech rep to hold demos and fittings.

Best of luck!

I would not recommend working the the business. I did this for many years and did not enjoy it one bit. Get paid like s***, long hours, little vacation time, and always a few people trying to get s*** for free. If I was to ever get back into the game I would probably want to be a starter as it is very low key and most people will be in a good mood. If you are really interested go for it!

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I agree with with most people are saying. I know its not the same at all, but I love working and tinkering on my toys (old cars, Jeeps, and motorcycles). I work in aviation as a helicopter crewchief and for some reason I just don't find as much enjoyment when I'm working on my own toys anymore. Even though I work on helicopters, an engine is an engine, anyway you look at it.

I did work in the cart barn of one of the local courses when I was in HS, and that was fun being able to hit range balls or play whenever I wanted, if I wasn't working, or waiting for the last cart to get back in.

Since income is not really of much concern, think your best options would be working as a starter or possibly catching on as a demo tech. That way your time isn't completely eaten up.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

I’ll chime in on this. As a 40 something that worked in the automotive business for 22 years, I decided this fall to make a change. I like you, wanted to be involved in the industry and being a 8 handicap, didn’t have a lot of golf pro options jumping out at me ?So I went the retail route. Now, I’m in an interesting postion in that my city has a 13,000sq ft stand alone golf shop that has been in town 34 years, and is amazingly successful (4mil per year gross sales). My experience with customer service landed me a job and the pay is better than anyone I know that works at a course (barring a top teaching pro). If you have this option and want to make decent money, this is by far the best route. Unlike courses, my job and boss understands that we all love golf, and we have a decently flexible schedule that allows us to get out and play, unlike most course guys that work so much that they end up hating the game. The big disadvantage of being in the industry... you work golf, you talk golf, you sell golf, you recommend golf, and you attempt to play golf. At times, it’s a bit much. It’s like being a chef, when you’re done working, the last thing you want to do is go home and cook... and my game has reflected that since taking the job. My advice... play golf and enjoy it for that. Don’t work it, you’ll end up resenting that you turned a hobby into a job. ??

Jaison

WITB
Bridgestone J15MB 5-PW
Vokey SM5 52, 56, 58
Taylormade M1 10.5
Taylormade M1 3W
Taylormade M1 4 Hybrid
Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist ProV1x

Since income is not really of much concern, think your best options would be working as a starter or possibly catching on as a demo tech. That way your time isn't completely eaten up.

I retired and applied on line with kemper, was picked up and have been working steadily grounds crew for a decade.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

According to the pro at my club, you'll never have time to actually play golf yourself because you'll be working during most golf-able hours. Dude is there sun-up to sundown, I don't think I've ever seen him playing golf ever.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

If I may I'm an assistant super at a elite club and yes the hours are long, and sometimes extremely labor intensive...but the opportunities to play are there if you take them and make them happen. I understand family commitments etc. but either with monthly chapter events, or "corporate golf" with vendors or even just playing a few at the end of the day to unwind. Personally I play at least 18 every week, just to see how the course is playing. You can only see so much from riding around in a cart, with moisture meters, trufirms, and speed sticks. I love my job I wouldn't change anything about my career choice, other than maybe doing it sooner. I've posted on this before, there's plenty of opportunities to play. You'll meet a ton of great people though and I would encourage anyone that loves the game to look into a career in golf if they are seriously interested. Please feel free to ask any questions I'd be lad to point you in the right direction.

When I retired I started work at a golf course, basically for the free golf and get me out of the house. After 6 months part time I liked it so much I went full time. Then I went back to part time after 2-3 years. After another 6 months of part time I went extremely part time. I work about 1 hour a week. I go in extra when I feel like it. Normally in about 10am and out at 1pm once or twice a month. I think the last pay check was 3 hours in 2 weeks time.

Now that being said. I don't like customer service any more, I don't want to talk to people if I don't want to and I enjoy working alone and being trusted to do my job without a supervisor checking on me. I'm 62 now and don't need that. I'm a big boy and can handle it all by myself. AND I work in the maintenance department. I love working outside, whenever I feel like it.

Simple: go to LinkedIn, create a profile and then search on the 100’s of jobs out there that are related to golf.

This for me is like someone asking how to use the search function in Google:)

I am looking for the Pros and Cons. I am in the military and don't need a job soon so a Linkedin account will not help me. Thanks for your great help.

3 Adams A4 idea hybrids
4-PW Nike VR combo irons

When I retired I started work at a golf course, basically for the free golf and get me out of the house. After 6 months part time I liked it so much I went full time. Then I went back to part time after 2-3 years. After another 6 months of part time I went extremely part time. I work about 1 hour a week. I go in extra when I feel like it. Normally in about 10am and out at 1pm once or twice a month. I think the last pay check was 3 hours in 2 weeks time.

Now that being said. I don't like customer service any more, I don't want to talk to people if I don't want to and I enjoy working alone and being trusted to do my job without a supervisor checking on me. I'm 62 now and don't need that. I'm a big boy and can handle it all by myself. AND I work in the maintenance department. I love working outside, whenever I feel like it.

Thanks man. I will message you when i have some more questions i have a lot of time before i retire from the military so i am looking in to different options.

3 Adams A4 idea hybrids
4-PW Nike VR combo irons

Stay in your current field and just go do something else.

Golf is for fun.

I am in the military, they will not let me stay for ever.

You're set then. Try to find a job at a course on a military installation, MWR/NAF Jobs are based on past military service (yes civilians can get jobs, but if a veteran applies your app goes to the front of the list) I worked at the golf course at Patrick in maintenance...remember those days fondly!

Thank you for your service best of luck!

There are plenty of negatives in the golf industry, like time working, low pay, total customer service, etc. But there are plenty of positives too, like being around a game you love, working at a beautiful place, seeing all the latest and greatest golf stuff, etc. I say go for it! You will be in a position that you can quit if you don't love it. And that alone may really influence your point of view.

Those saying to stay away and just play golf (for fun) aren't wrong, but for many just being around the course (playing or not) is a great thing...

I left my own company after 30 years and went all things golf, opened an online golf store, worked in a pro shop for the free golf and at a major golf retailer as a fitter for the discount. It's nice to talk golf all the time as customers are 95% happy and and you don't really have to sell. It was fun for a while and the novelty wears off when you are stocking shelves or watching tv when the shop is open and no one is coming to play golf. I played way more golf as business owner and sales guy than being in golf.

Also, at 40 you will be a kid at a golf course, almost all of the other guys are in their 70s and someone most likely has to permanently "retire" to get a job. I'm 56 and there are only 2 guys younger than me and they hope to be career guys. Good luck and thanks for your service.

Golf is for fun.

My wife's cousin retired from the Can military 5 years ago. He works part time now as an usher at the arena where the Oilers play, and plays his golf at the military course. Sees a little hockey, a few concerts for free and works when he wants. In the winter he often goes to Arizona and plays at a military course down there. He tells me he pays $20 a round.

Considering the job you do for your country, the golf should be free.

Golf is for fun.

Nope. They certainly don't let us stay forever. PM me. A friend and I did the exact same thing. I retired 9 years ago and got into it totally by accident. I do it part time, remotely doing media and such. A friend of mine is on Terminal right now and went to work for a friend of ours in his shop in TX full time.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Golf is for fun.

1. Thank you for your service

2. I don't know your family situation or your geography needs, but if I were in your boat, wanted a golf career, and could move anywhere - I would move to Bandon and be a caddy. Cost of living is good, coast is beautiful, and you can make very good money. It is hard work, but very rewarding - plus it is all cash. There are a couple of other places like that, but the nice thing about Bandon is you can get loops almost 12 months a year (versus other areas that shut down). Also at Bandon, You also don't have one of those caddy companies getting a cut of your money

3. Another thing I know people have done in your situation around here is to become a firefighter - great hours for golfing (essentially work 24 hour shifts 2 days a week) and then get a part time job as a starter so they can golf for free and be around the game. Massachusetts gives preferential treatment to Veterans when applying for those jobs too. Firefighting is hard / dangerous life - but might be something to think about. (The newly minted USGA mid-am champion is a local firefighter)

I guess I'm the outlier. I made the career switch two years ago from a hotel GM to work for a large Golf Management company. I'm thinking holiest I've ever been in any job. If i work more than 40 hours it's by choice.

My GM and Head Pro encourage us to play as much as possible. We all get in at least 18 holes a week. Most weeks I get in 27 to 36.

The access to go to the range or putting green befoe or after work is a huge benefit.

I know every position and company is different.

As someone else said, my only regret is I didn't make the move 15 years ago when I first had the chance.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Ive been in the industry since i was 14. Ive never done anything else nor do i plan on it. The most common complaint is the long hours and you dont get to play. I play all the time, pros who dont get to play fall into these catagories

1) knew when they took the job they wouldnt get to play much and were fine with it

2) They dont care about playing

3) wish they could play more but dont make time

4) always complain bout not playing

If a pro wants to play more they can always find another job in the industry that will allow them to play more.

The long hours doesnt bother me. I see it as the hard work will pay off and i can 3-4 days a week in the future and take some time off here and there. I actually enjoy spending all day at the course

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x