Brands You Won't Play

pierso2

I gotta tell ya, some of the reasons for not playing certain brands are truly classic.

"Don't like the other guys playing that brand's stuff", "Hate it for some reason (don't know why)", "Don't like brands that are suing other brands (or is that being sued by other brands ?)".

And that's on just this one page,,,,,,,, :D

You do realize that the costs of those lawsuits get passed to us consumers, right? When Titleist sues SmallCompany A over their $20 per dozen kick-Word not allowed golf ball and said company folds because they can't afford the legal bills whether Titleist has a case or not, the consumers (we) lose, too.

Well, the water company raises out rates so the golf course has to raise theirs. Same thing with the electric company. Course gets sued by a golfer for no valid reason. We should hate all of them too, right ?

The gubmint sues/oversees/regulates major corporations all the time and that gets passed onto us consumers as well.

So what do we do about that ?

Oh, right, I see your point now. We hate the gubmint, the electric company, the water company,,,,,,,, and that litigious golfer, too,,,,,,,,,,,,, :)

I can choose whether or not to patronize Titleist whereas public utilities are regulated monopolies that cannot raise their rates without regulatory approval. Besides, water and electricity are necessities; ProV1 are not. Your analogy is flawed.

We can go back and forth on government regulation, but regulation is largely in place to protect the public/consumer and help offset the social costs associated with industry. Are some regulations unnecessary or overly burdensome? Sure, but their intent is to protect and not to harm the consumer. Your argument would indicate that you think we should go back to leaded gasoline and 10 mpg mileage standards cause, damn it, safety and efficiency cost us more.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't play anything else then Ping.

I'll never touch another Ping product in my life. One of the courses I play at lost their account for selling a Ping driver for $10 below what they were supposed to sell it for. The Pro doesn't advertise he just sells everything for a certain percentage over wholesale and it worked out that for the G400 it was $10 below what he was supposed to sell it for and a secret shopper came in, bought one and reported him.

He's had an account with Ping and it was his #1 seller for over 20 years. If Ping is willing to destroy a 20+ year relationship over $10 it's not a company I'm willing to support by buying their equipment. I've carried a Ping bag since I was a kid (never really played their clubs) and now there is a Callaway bag in my trunk and a Ping bag in my garbage can.

Long story short, I'm good at holding a grudge so Ping is a brand I will never play.

You should actually be happy Ping cares that much about their brand image. Ping clubs hold their value better than any other club on the market for that reason alone. People know they will be a certain price at all retail outlets.

I've got no problem with the no advertising below a certain price to protect the brand's image but trying to dictate a business's pricing structure that you've had no problem with for years is too much, especially for $10. You can go on eBay and find several brand new G400s sold for well below their MSP so a company that is willing to shake down a 20+ year old account over $10 before they deal with finding the source of the clubs being sold on eBay has no room in my bag.

The private club I play at has a Mill River program where we - only the members are eligible - pay a couple hundred bucks up front and then buy everything at 10% over cost. It's a very private club so there is never any advertising done but Ping still took it upon themselves to cancel the account. That pricing structure was in place for as long as the club has been around and until last year Ping had no problem with it. In fact it was the longest standing Ping account in our state. Our club was actually happy to see Ping leave because Taylormade and Callaway were fighting for the extra sales and it worked out very well in terms of the additional fitting equipment and demo days they gave us.

Ping just seems to pick really dumb fights and with them years and years of a loyal relationship means nothing apparently. I get trying to protect their brand by in my eyes some of the moves they've made of late are just idiotic.

So by your logic of what should make me happy you think selling a driver in a cash deal at an unadvertised price for $10 below the MSP is worse for a brand than throwing away a 20+ year relationship over $10. That's an interesting notion. In my eyes Ping's actions have done far more damage than our Golf Shop's did.

As I said Ping is now a brand I will never play again.

I was in the golf business for almost 20 years and never really saw Ping pick and choose. They went after anyone who broke their pricing policy. I understand what you’re saying though. I just appreciate that ping tries to protect themselves. As far as buying new drivers for less than retail on eBay I haven’t seen it. Ping in the past have been all over eBay

I'll never touch another Ping product in my life. One of the courses I play at lost their account for selling a Ping driver for $10 below what they were supposed to sell it for. The Pro doesn't advertise he just sells everything for a certain percentage over wholesale and it worked out that for the G400 it was $10 below what he was supposed to sell it for and a secret shopper came in, bought one and reported him.

He's had an account with Ping and it was his #1 seller for over 20 years. If Ping is willing to destroy a 20+ year relationship over $10 it's not a company I'm willing to support by buying their equipment. I've carried a Ping bag since I was a kid (never really played their clubs) and now there is a Callaway bag in my trunk and a Ping bag in my garbage can.

Long story short, I'm good at holding a grudge so Ping is a brand I will never play.

You should actually be happy Ping cares that much about their brand image. Ping clubs hold their value better than any other club on the market for that reason alone. People know they will be a certain price at all retail outlets.

I've got no problem with the no advertising below a certain price to protect the brand's image but trying to dictate a business's pricing structure that you've had no problem with for years is too much, especially for $10. You can go on eBay and find several brand new G400s sold for well below their MSP so a company that is willing to shake down a 20+ year old account over $10 before they deal with finding the source of the clubs being sold on eBay has no room in my bag.

The private club I play at has a Mill River program where we - only the members are eligible - pay a couple hundred bucks up front and then buy everything at 10% over cost. It's a very private club so there is never any advertising done but Ping still took it upon themselves to cancel the account. That pricing structure was in place for as long as the club has been around and until last year Ping had no problem with it. In fact it was the longest standing Ping account in our state. Our club was actually happy to see Ping leave because Taylormade and Callaway were fighting for the extra sales and it worked out very well in terms of the additional fitting equipment and demo days they gave us.

Ping just seems to pick really dumb fights and with them years and years of a loyal relationship means nothing apparently. I get trying to protect their brand by in my eyes some of the moves they've made of late are just idiotic.

So by your logic of what should make me happy you think selling a driver in a cash deal at an unadvertised price for $10 below the MSP is worse for a brand than throwing away a 20+ year relationship over $10. That's an interesting notion. In my eyes Ping's actions have done far more damage than our Golf Shop's did.

As I said Ping is now a brand I will never play again.

I was in the golf business for almost 20 years and never really saw Ping pick and choose. They went after anyone who broke their pricing policy. I understand what you're saying though. I just appreciate that ping tries to protect themselves. As far as buying new drivers for less than retail on eBay I haven't seen it. Ping in the past have been all over eBay

If you search the sold listings there are a ton of them with the wrapper on that have sold within the past month. I get going after the accounts who are supply the people who are supply those sellers.

I was a PGA pro when Ping introduced the "orange" pricing or whatever they called it. I laughed when our rep came in with the price list in a sealed envelope and told us he was no longer allowed to discuss price with us. A company actually dreamed up a policy that prohibited their sales people from discussing price. Brilliant. That was probably around 2002 or 2003 but they really seem to have ramped up this taking accounts away from really solid country clubs and courses in my area during the past two years, none of which advertise.

It's perfect that their #1 brand ambassador is voted the most hated player on the PGA Tour, it suits them well.

Ping is a dumb business and I don't support stupid.

^^^^^^^

Show us on the doll where Karsten Solheim touched you ;-)

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

^^^^^^^

Haha. I sent Ric Flair out to deal with him.

So Ping sent a "secret shopper" out to a very private golf course just to bust them for $10 ? Something tells me there's more to the story.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

^^^^^^^

So Ping sent a "secret shopper" out to a very private golf course just to bust them for $10 ? Something tells me there's more to the story.

No, they really do this. I got my account suspended/pulled for discounting a wedge $5 many years ago to a PING secret shopper. And I know of a $60,000 a year in club sales account that got pulled for discounting PING clubs. That being said, PING is one of my favorite companies to do business with, even with the iron fist rule of not only their advertising price, but what you also sell clubs for. Keeps everything more even between large and small accounts.

Same thing happened at my club right after I joined and get this....... the Ping rep was a member and the entire club played Ping. It was like nothing I had ever seen. We incorrectly priced a wedge from last season, they sent a secret shopper and suspended the account.

Unbelievable!

[size=3]Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 Hzrdus Green 70[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M4 3 wood - Tensei White Pro[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19 - Atmos Blue[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW - $ Taper [/size]
[size=3]Callaway X forged 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade TP Red-White Ardmore 2[/size]

Not to get off track but Volvik golf balls will get $0 from me. I found one and holy moly those things are awful. It's about the only thing I agree with Bubba on lol

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

For some reason, I won't even consider clubs by Callaway and Cobra. I don't have any hard feelings toward them, but just don't consider them to be viable options.

My bag is TM, Ping, Titleist, and Mizuno.

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

What's the difference?

They're probably all made at the same Chinese factory right next to the component knock-offs.

None of the clubmakers have restricted sales to green grass pro shops for about forty years now. They're all whoring their clubs in stores and online.

But the "discounted" street prices are higher, even inflation adjusted, than they were when they were all fair traded at FULL LIST PRICE by golf professionals.

It just occurs to me that the players under sixty don't know what I'm talking about!

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

To summarize for those who don't want to slog thru 14 pages of posts:

1. It is easy to find an equal number of people who love & hate any of the OEM's.

2. There is a special place in golf hell for Bob Parsons & PXG.

Now go use the time I've saved you to practice w/ the gear you do like!

Some combo of any or all:

Ping G400 LST 10* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Rogue SZ 15* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Cally 416 19* Hybrid w/ Diamana S+ 82g Stiff
4-PW: Callaway (OG) Apex w/ KBS PGI 80g / Bridgestone J40 Combo 4-P w/ Steelfiber i95 Stiff
52*, 56* Vokey SM5's

60* Wilson Staff
Ping Ti Anser Wrx

^^^^^^^

Ping is not the only company to do this. Bose is an example of another company that uses the same MAP pricing policies with a Zero Tolerance Enforcement. Because it is a policy and not an agreement the manufacturer is well within its rights to immediately terminate MAP policy violators on first offenses no matter how big or small the violation. If the manufacturer issues a warning instead of terminating, then in the eyes of a court, it could be argued that it is then an agreement rather than a policy, and could fall under anti-trust laws.

Driver- Callaway

3 wood- TEE

Hybrid/Di Adams/TM

Irons- Mizuno

Wedges-Titleist

Putter-bettinardi

My backup driver is ping

Probably never play cobra. I don’t know but it just doesn’t feel like a real brand.

I’d never play PXG just because they are trying to be a premium brand when almost all clubs are the same

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

I play a bunch of brands. I used to think I'd never consider Tour Edge "Bazooka" clubs, because they were kind of a bargain club targeted at higher handicaps. Yesterday I got beat by a guy who shot even par using three Bazooka hybrids that were about 20 years old. He's a solid 3 handicap. I might have to give Bazooka another look, and try them out. Prejudice and bias get you in trouble all the time.

The tour edge CBX is by far the best fairway wood this year. Super deep and forgiving.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

For some reason, I won't even consider clubs by Callaway and Cobra. I don't have any hard feelings toward them, but just don't consider them to be viable options.

My bag is TM, Ping, Titleist, and Mizuno.

Funny, my two bags only consist Callaway and Cobra clubs, except an Evnroll putter and Nike VFP driver on the 2nd bag.

TM M3 9.5*
Cobra King Ltd 15*
Callaway XR 18* 

Cobra Fly Z+ 4-P

Bridgestone J15 50*

Callaway MD2 56/60*

TM Spider X Navy Blue
Srixon Z Star

Same thing happened at my club right after I joined and get this....... the Ping rep was a member and the entire club played Ping. It was like nothing I had ever seen. We incorrectly priced a wedge from last season, they sent a secret shopper and suspended the account.

Unbelievable!

Looks like I'll be staying away from Ping, also. This kind of thing does the consumer no favors.

Unbelievable!

Looks like I'll be staying away from Ping, also. This kind of thing does the consumer no favors.

I don’t know how you can say that. They are doing consumers a huge favor, because of their policies you see Ping club values hold higher than most brands.

I have a mixed bag, depending on the club..

Driver - TM

Irons - Callaway

Wedges - Everything but vokey (new pings look pretty snazzy though)

Putters - Everything but Ping (been trying to like a buddys Scotty. Might win me over)

Titleist - TSi3 8* - Ventus Black S6

Callaway - Apex UW 17* - HZRDUS Black Smoke

Taylormade - 2021 P790 4-AW - Project X LS

Vokey - 54* 60* - S400

Evnroll - ER2b - Stability Tour Shaft

Unbelievable!

I don't know how you can say that. They are doing consumers a huge favor, because of their policies you see Ping club values hold higher than most brands.

When you really think about it, it's kind of silly we care about resale value. It's not a house or a car. The only time we care about resale value of a golf club is when we want to sell something, which means we've found something that performs better.

[size=3]Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 Hzrdus Green 70[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M4 3 wood - Tensei White Pro[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19 - Atmos Blue[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW - $ Taper [/size]
[size=3]Callaway X forged 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade TP Red-White Ardmore 2[/size]