2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Rory's thoughts on the galleries

salmon1a

having played college sports and having had friends that have played professional sports i feel this is a tricky subject, that being said i have been in numerous stadiums and gym's around the world.

also being a person of color and relatively new to the game of golf, i find the sport very stuffy and boring from a visual standpoint but very exciting from a players standpoint.

i could go on and on with how i feel but let me just say this, i have dealt with fans thru my mental focus and have also dealt with my 3-9 year old son on the golf course thru understanding that s*** happens, i make sure he never interrupts another golfer during his stroke but do not care what happens during mine( he has now learned proper etiquette due to his age so this does not happen any more).

inappropriate talk should not be tolerated at any sporting event but heckling is just sportsmanship and part of any game. let event organizers deal with the inappropriate hecklers. i feel some of these golfers forget about their college years and how they approached other sporting events they have attended and forget how they have acted.

from my perspective there r a few things in this sport that need to change in order to grow the sport and fan base. having read the other comments i like what people r saying.

one more thought, everyone of these pro golfers play with their buddies and to say that they don't rib each other on the course is absurd.

It clearly says on the back of tickets to PGA events, No Heckling. It just needs to be enforced.

here lies the problem with golf. no pictures, no filming, no kids talking, no walking, don't stand there, don't shade the tee box, where does it stop, play the game and get over it.

having played college sports and having had friends that have played professional sports i feel this is a tricky subject, that being said i have been in numerous stadiums and gym's around the world.

also being a person of color and relatively new to the game of golf, i find the sport very stuffy and boring from a visual standpoint but very exciting from a players standpoint.

i could go on and on with how i feel but let me just say this, i have dealt with fans thru my mental focus and have also dealt with my 3-9 year old son on the golf course thru understanding that s*** happens, i make sure he never interrupts another golfer during his stroke but do not care what happens during mine( he has now learned proper etiquette due to his age so this does not happen any more).

inappropriate talk should not be tolerated at any sporting event but heckling is just sportsmanship and part of any game. let event organizers deal with the inappropriate hecklers. i feel some of these golfers forget about their college years and how they approached other sporting events they have attended and forget how they have acted.

from my perspective there r a few things in this sport that need to change in order to grow the sport and fan base. having read the other comments i like what people r saying.

one more thought, everyone of these pro golfers play with their buddies and to say that they don't rib each other on the course is absurd.

Heckling is NOT sportsmanship, totally the opposite. Sheeesh!

you don't heckle your buddies when u play?

I do, but I'm not worried about my buddies doing something stupid. That guy yelling out McIlroy's wife's name would be chilling to me. Then again, I'm a cop and I see the world a little differently than most.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen brother. I’ve been a few places and seen a few things. A guy mentioning his wife even if innocent sparks the “ fight or flight “ reflex. And flight wouldn’t be the response. Doesn’t mean I’m he type to attack him either. But a proactive response would be exactly what it would call for. ( Throw him out and document who he is.

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Pro golfers need to toughen up, Rory and Thomas should be grateful anyone wants to pay to see them play golf or they'd be playing for a lot less money every week.

If a fan is intoxicated and causing problems with player or other fans then they should be asked to leave just like they are at other sporting events. Fans pay their money to cheer on their favorites or jeer others, the fact we have to even have this discussion shows how soft we've gotten as a society.

Any job has unruly customers, usually they are the minority and don't affect salary that much, and most professions wouldn't ask their employees to take insults to their spouse as part of the normal day-to-day i don't think

Like if you walked into a Saks and heckled someone working there about their wife, the store would ask you to leave. And they need "your" money to stay in business just like golfers do

There's an "ownership" that fans think they have in athletes that for whatever reason doesn't seem to translate to other jobs. Yes EVERY job needs your money to stay in business

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

It clearly says on the back of tickets to PGA events, No Heckling. It just needs to be enforced.

here lies the problem with golf. no pictures, no filming, no kids talking, no walking, don't stand there, don't shade the tee box, where does it stop, play the game and get over it.

Nice hyperbole, because all those things are allowed. Just don't move or talk when their hitting and you're not on their line.

Heckling is NOT sportsmanship, totally the opposite. Sheeesh!

No, i woudnt dream of it.

I certainly wouldn't cheer their ball into a bunker or OB. Plus they're not earning their living at it.

I might laugh and take the mick AFTER they've done it. Completely different. We have banter, we dont heckle .

Good manners are good manners, wherever you are......or not.

You get the occasional obnoxious boor who attends a golf tournament. When they get this way, the other fans should shout them down and they should be removed when necessary. Golf is a gentleman's game and crowds are given intimate close up access. When good people stand by and let that behavior go unchallenged then they share in the guilt. The boor is expecting a certain reaction and when they get the opposite reaction they will generally back down.

You get the occasional obnoxious boor who attends a golf tournament. When they get this way, the other fans should shout them down and they should be removed when necessary. Golf is a gentleman's game and crowds are given intimate close up access. When good people stand by and let that behavior go unchallenged then they share in the guilt. The boor is expecting a certain reaction and when they get the opposite reaction they will generally back down.

So now Mrs Smith and her 2 toddlers need to control a fat ****head who has had 15 beers..

Ok.

Just ban Americans from attending golf tournaments. Problem solved. Simples.

geeze Mark, stereotype much? I'm sure all British and Euro soccer fans are just a bunch of f*@king chuckles.

(just throwing it back at you boyo ;) . I'd toss all these Booey & Potatoes wankers out on the street too!)

I have never heckled anyone I play with. If I started to, I’d expect me to be playing solo a lot more often.

A bit of light hearted banter is acceptable at the end of a hole, but honestly, I’d rather let the golf talk and save the talk for slightly more meaningful conversation beyond ‘you suck’

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

It's funny. I was an Athletic Director for two high schools. Obviously, we didn't serve alcohol at basketball games, but that doesn't keep people from showing up intoxicated or sneaking it into the building. Fan behavior was out of control because my predecessor did nothing to hold people accountable. We had adults and parents threatening kids on the other team and even shouting fairly abusive statements at their own kids if they screwed up. I started hiring State Police to show up at games and for a while I warned (once) and then booted anyone who got out of hand. A couple of people even get in my face a few times and made threats. Each time I waved at the officer, and out they went. Didn't take too long before people got the message and overall behavior improved.

You don't have to make drastic changes to public events, you just have to enforce the rules that people have been "allowed" to forget over time.

Not sure you can compare high school basketball games to pro golf. Wishing a guys ball ends up in the sand trap is not equivalent to threatening someones life.

I think you may have missed the point.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

It's funny. I was an Athletic Director for two high schools. Obviously, we didn't serve alcohol at basketball games, but that doesn't keep people from showing up intoxicated or sneaking it into the building. Fan behavior was out of control because my predecessor did nothing to hold people accountable. We had adults and parents threatening kids on the other team and even shouting fairly abusive statements at their own kids if they screwed up. I started hiring State Police to show up at games and for a while I warned (once) and then booted anyone who got out of hand. A couple of people even get in my face a few times and made threats. Each time I waved at the officer, and out they went. Didn't take too long before people got the message and overall behavior improved.

You don't have to make drastic changes to public events, you just have to enforce the rules that people have been "allowed" to forget over time.

Not sure you can compare high school basketball games to pro golf. Wishing a guys ball ends up in the sand trap is not equivalent to threatening someones life.

Oh, you can compare them. It's just that most Americans have gotten the idea that laws needn't be enforced anymore (because they aren't). Society itself has since decided on its own set of laws (you know the ones) that will get your a** kicked if you violate... but boorish, rude, crass behavior isn't one of them. That's actually regarded as a virtue among roughly half of our citizens. Bullying and vulgarity have become commonplace as they try to convince the children that it's a bad thing at the same time...as if the kids wouldn't notice.....but kids can smell hypocrisy a mile away. It's gotten so bad that most of us have just tuned it out, until you have young children around. It's a very sad part of our freedom. Throw the losers out!

I wish they would allow trash talking and music! Would probably lighten things up and desensitize everyone a bit to the noise. I know the traditionalists don’t like this idea but I play better with the music blasting and people talking trash!

WITB - 5/23/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 60G

4W: TSR2 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 70G

7W: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

4H: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H/62T - DG X100TI

Odyssey AI One Rossie S / TaylorMade TP Collection Juno

Ball : ProV1 for now not 100% commited to it though

Pro golfers need to toughen up, Rory and Thomas should be grateful anyone wants to pay to see them play golf or they'd be playing for a lot less money every week.

If a fan is intoxicated and causing problems with player or other fans then they should be asked to leave just like they are at other sporting events. Fans pay their money to cheer on their favorites or jeer others, the fact we have to even have this discussion shows how soft we've gotten as a society.

Yes, we're very soft. I'm sure that if some ****** bag was following you around yelling things about your wife or girlfriend you'd have absolutely no problem just sucking it up.

Is Rory your buddy?

Would you ball-bust someone you'd just been paired with?

Right -- didn't think so.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I'm not sure tossing people out will necessarily stop any of this. Slow it down maybe, but I don't think the idiots that do it would care if they got tossed. Is it possible to keep the fans further away from the Tees? It's seems that most of it happens on the Tee box. Fans are right on top of the Tee boxes. How about moving them away and having some separation? I know it's highly dependent on how a course is built, but it would be nice to move them back.

With the way things are these days I could see one of these guys getting tossed out roughly and suing causing a big shite storm for the tournament sponsors and having other sponsors second guess getting involved. In the social media era it only takes one bad move (and it doesn't even have to be a bad move really) to cause massive outrage and have the morons of society turn against golf.

I'm not sure tossing people out will necessarily stop any of this. Slow it down maybe, but I don't think the idiots that do it would care if they got tossed. Is it possible to keep the fans further away from the Tees? It's seems that most of it happens on the Tee box. Fans are right on top of the Tee boxes. How about moving them away and having some separation? I know it's highly dependent on how a course is built, but it would be nice to move them back.

With the way things are these days I could see one of these guys getting tossed out roughly and suing causing a big shite storm for the tournament sponsors and having other sponsors second guess getting involved. In the social media era it only takes one bad move (and it doesn't even have to be a bad move really) to cause massive outrage and have the morons of society turn against golf.

It would stop the majority because most are drunk... Here in Cali you cant be drunk in public.. So, if they act up, they can go to detox or jail. When the gallery sees the first Word not allowed taken again away in cuffs, it'll stop.

It would stop the majority because most are drunk... Here in Cali you cant be drunk in public.. So, if they act up, they can go to detox or jail. When the gallery sees the first Word not allowed taken again away in cuffs, it'll stop.

I agree if these people get prosecuted it will make them think twice. Nothing like potential legal issues that might have an effect on someone's real life and job to get their attention.

Maybe one rowdy par 3 per event ... WM may be on something?

I agree with the toss outs and with Rory .. Lines are being crossed

Ping G430 10k 10.5* Diamana ZF 60x

Cally AI Smoke TD 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

I agree if these people get prosecuted it will make them think twice. Nothing like potential legal issues that might have an effect on someone's real life and job to get their attention.

Its a low-level misdemeanor and most likely wouldn't be charged by the City Attorney, but it would get them off the property. Must make an example out of some one, need that guinea pig!

Warnings of decreased tolerance on Golf Channel then start kicking them out in numbers. The fans will get the point and my guess help point out the bad apples. This is not a football game and while Waste Mgmt seems like it would be fun it's created a sense of entitlement that needs to stop. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Warnings of decreased tolerance on Golf Channel then start kicking them out in numbers. The fans will get the point and my guess help point out the bad apples. This is not a football game and while Waste Mgmt seems like it would be fun it's created a sense of entitlement that needs to stop. BB

I doubt a lot of these people are watching the Golf Channel to be honest.

Just put up large notices at the entrance and refreshment tents saying 'please enjoy your alcohol responsibly and respect the players and those around you. The management reserve the right to refuse service and will eject anyone whose behaviour falls below the expected standard'

It may take a year of zero tolerance to get the message across, but it will work. I assume that there are dress codes at tournaments (no wife beaters, no bare torsos) so why should shouting abusive behaviour any different.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

I have never heckled anyone I play with. If I started to, I'd expect me to be playing solo a lot more often.

A bit of light hearted banter is acceptable at the end of a hole, but honestly, I'd rather let the golf talk and save the talk for slightly more meaningful conversation beyond 'you suck'

When I used to play money games ($20 skins throw in between ~8 players and numerous nassau matches), no I wouldn't think of heckling, esp since these guys were more acquaintances than real buddies. If I had heckled them, I would probably get anything from a dirty look to a punch in the face.

When I'm just having fun with some good buddies then yea we heckle each other, but I would never go to the point of making comments about someone's wife.

I have never heckled anyone I play with. If I started to, I'd expect me to be playing solo a lot more often.

A bit of light hearted banter is acceptable at the end of a hole, but honestly, I'd rather let the golf talk and save the talk for slightly more meaningful conversation beyond 'you suck'

When I used to play money games ($20 skins throw in between ~8 players and numerous nassau matches), no I wouldn't think of heckling, esp since these guys were more acquaintances than real buddies. If I had heckled them, I would probably get anything from a dirty look to a punch in the face.

When I'm just having fun with some good buddies then yea we heckle each other, but I would never go to the point of making comments about someone's wife.

Can we define heckling - is this you talking to players before a shot, in the attempt to put them off?

I would draw the line at a sarcastic line about 'you made a good putt for a triple on the last hole' in between tee boxes, but that's about it. I grew up in the UK (where fair play is probably a bit more respected than it is in the US) and was always taught that you won based on skill rather than what came out of your mouth.

But I agree - if anyone apart from a very good friend mentioned my wife, he'd be looking for both his balls in the forest, and I don't mean his Pro v1s....

Limiting alcohol sales is not the answer and it comes with unintended consequences. To say that I am hurt by Rory’s comments is an understatement. Having an Irishman denounce drinking on Saint Patrick’s Day weekend is like having a Christian denounce Christ on Easter weekend. My ancestors are from the old country and they would be very disappointed in Rory’s comments. The only way I can explain it is that Rory was so drunk he was in the “never drinking again phase†of his hangover but that still doesn’t explain him trying to limit other people’s intake. Hopefully he comes to his senses today and issues an apology.

Limiting alcohol sales is not the answer and it comes with unintended consequences. To say that I am hurt by Rory’s comments is an understatement. Having an Irishman denounce drinking on Saint Patrick’s Day weekend is like having a Christian denounce Christ on Easter weekend. My ancestors are from the old country and they would be very disappointed in Rory’s comments. The only way I can explain it is that Rory was so drunk he was in the “never drinking again phase†of his hangover but that still doesn’t explain him trying to limit other people’s intake. Hopefully he comes to his senses today and issues an apology.

Nah, Rory is spot on. Also if people were drinking Guinness instead they likely wouldn't be getting drunk. The fact that Rory won on St. Patrick's weekend by going absolutely on fire only shows the Saints were on his side with his comments.

A little ribbing is Okay I think. These guys make insane amounts of cash and should have thick of skin and mental prowess to deal with it just tlike any other pro athlete. But there should be a line drawn in the sand, such as personal insults, berating a player and overall trolling (following them around all day long yelling out stuff AT them).

Why would somebody pay $150+ just to be a jerk to a guy they don't even know all day long? If marshals won't deal with it, people at the event as patrons should step up and say something to an event manager.