Stuck on PING s55's

cardoustie

I think the series of S59, 58, 57, 56 and 55 were all sensational playing models, suitable for any skill level player from high handicap to Tour pro.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

> @Meerkat213 said:

> hqu46ouakkub.jpeg

> Here is side by side of the s55 vs the i210 from earlier this week.

Really similar numbers. Both consistent too.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 3 weeks later...

Strolling through my local Roger Dunn and I see a black dot 5-P set with KBS Tours, faces are in great shape, for $299... I already had gift card money and I could not resist so even though I LOVE my J15 cbs, the S55 was something I could not pass up.. Already bought a 4i on ebay and will complete the set... There is something about the head shape, feel, and sound that draws me back to the S55. Paired with the ridiculous durability and they are a no brainer. I hit them against the iblades in the store and the numbers were nearly identical but the feel of the S55 is way better to me. Interesting results above to the 210s.... I would imagine the 210 would offer a little more help but the forgiveness of the S55 is no joke either. I will put them in play this week, if all goes well I may just sell the backup J15s.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

> @Nixhex524 said:

> Strolling through my local Roger Dunn and I see a black dot 5-P set with KBS Tours, faces are in great shape, for $299... I already had gift card money and I could not resist so even though I LOVE my J15 cbs, the S55 was something I could not pass up.. Already bought a 4i on ebay and will complete the set... There is something about the head shape, feel, and sound that draws me back to the S55. Paired with the ridiculous durability and they are a no brainer. I hit them against the iblades in the store and the numbers were nearly identical but the feel of the S55 is way better to me. Interesting results above to the 210s.... I would imagine the 210 would offer a little more help but the forgiveness of the S55 is no joke either. I will put them in play this week, if all goes well I may just sell the backup J15s.

Be careful, play them well enough they just might replace your j15cb lol.

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

> @bunta said:

> > @Nixhex524 said:

> > Strolling through my local Roger Dunn and I see a black dot 5-P set with KBS Tours, faces are in great shape, for $299... I already had gift card money and I could not resist so even though I LOVE my J15 cbs, the S55 was something I could not pass up.. Already bought a 4i on ebay and will complete the set... There is something about the head shape, feel, and sound that draws me back to the S55. Paired with the ridiculous durability and they are a no brainer. I hit them against the iblades in the store and the numbers were nearly identical but the feel of the S55 is way better to me. Interesting results above to the 210s.... I would imagine the 210 would offer a little more help but the forgiveness of the S55 is no joke either. I will put them in play this week, if all goes well I may just sell the backup J15s.

>

>

> Be careful, play them well enough they just might replace your j15cb lol.

I have a lot of love for the S55 BUT, they are going to have to really produce to outdo the J15s!!!! I will give them a fair shot though!

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

• 2 weeks later...

> @Foreleft said:

Still hoping that the next S series is an evolution or cross of the 55's and the i series.

I think the Ping S59, 58, 57, 56, and 55 each played about the same, and that all were sensational designs. It's a shame Ping discontinued the line because the S series design concept was positioned right in between the i-blade and 200-210 models, and I think the S series was just about the best design concept Ping ever offered.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

> @Foreleft said:

> Surprised how close the i210 numbers are to the S55. The i's would offer a touch more forgiveness in the longer irons. Easy to see why many of the Ping staff have bagged a partial or complete set. Still hoping that the next S series is an evolution or cross of the 55's and the i series.

Hope they fix those lofts, though. Too many 3* gaps

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @Fairway14 said:

> > @Foreleft said:

> Still hoping that the next S series is an evolution or cross of the 55's and the i series.

>

> I think the Ping S59, 58, 57, 56, and 55 each played about the same, and that all were sensational designs. It's a shame Ping discontinued the line because the S series design concept was positioned right in between the i-blade and 200-210 models, and I think the S series was just about the best design concept Ping ever offered.

>

I would agree 100%.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @Foreleft said:

> > Surprised how close the i210 numbers are to the S55. The i's would offer a touch more forgiveness in the longer irons. Easy to see why many of the Ping staff have bagged a partial or complete set. Still hoping that the next S series is an evolution or cross of the 55's and the i series.

>

> Hope they fix those lofts, though. Too many 3* gaps

For me the gaps are about right. A 4 degree gap on a long iron would create too much yardage between clubs. I don’t understand how even loft gaps between irons could create workable yardage gaps.

> @Yuck said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > > @Foreleft said:

> > > Surprised how close the i210 numbers are to the S55. The i's would offer a touch more forgiveness in the longer irons. Easy to see why many of the Ping staff have bagged a partial or complete set. Still hoping that the next S series is an evolution or cross of the 55's and the i series.

> >

> > Hope they fix those lofts, though. Too many 3* gaps

>

> For me the gaps are about right. A 4 degree gap on a long iron would create too much yardage between clubs. I don’t understand how even loft gaps between irons could create workable yardage gaps.

>

I have a problem with what I would assume were engineered gaps in the Eye2 thru ISI (maybe i3), which were increasing with each club, to having 5 clubs separated by only 3* each in the S55. I mean, Karsten was an engineer, and he had a robot, after all. The only actual 3* gap in the Eye2 set is between 2i and 3i.

It's just one of my biases. :)

That said, my take: I'm not particularly interested in even gaps at the long iron end of my bag. I just want numbers I can count on. A bonus of keeping 4* gaps at that end of the bag is that it allows me room for a club I might otherwise have to leave out.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @Redjeep83 said:

> Yea, s56 and s55 are two of best player irons ever made. I never owned the 55’s but I did the 56 irons and there was something special about them.

I've owned 'em both and still bag the 55's and could not agree with you more.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

After an ill fated fling with PXG 0211’s, 20 rounds ago, I went back to my S55’s. I was on a streak where.of 8 of my previous 10 rounds were 80 or above, and my index had shot up to 6.9.

I was just posting my score yesterday, a 74 with 34 putts, and I was looking at my scoring since switching back. 7 of my last 20 rounds were 74 or below, and I was only over 81 twice. My index is trending to less than half of where it was 5 weeks ago. The PXGs were the same shaft (i95 Steelfiber, Stiff), and the same lie / SW. My putting is still suspect, as it always is. The only reasonable explanation is that the **S55’s are magic**.

• Like 1

> @Yuck said:

> After an ill fated fling with PXG 0211’s, 20 rounds ago, I went back to my S55’s. I was on a streak where.of 8 of my previous 10 rounds were 80 or above, and my index had shot up to 6.9.

>

> I was just posting my score yesterday, a 74 with 34 putts, and I was looking at my scoring since switching back. 7 of my last 20 rounds were 74 or below, and I was only over 81 twice. My index is trending to less than half of where it was 5 weeks ago. The PXGs were the same shaft (i95 Steelfiber, Stiff), and the same lie / SW. My putting is still suspect, as it always is. The only reasonable explanation is that the **S55’s are magic**.

>

It's the Ping Dust! :D

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

If you try the i210s you may just make the change.....

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K 70g  45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

Waiting on some ferrules so I can shaft up the 4-9 S55s I have waiting... Already have the PW done and just hit some at the range... I forgot how good these irons feel. Hoping to get these done today so I can game them tomorrow.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Played 9 holes today with the S55’s paired with PX Rifle 5.5 shafts. Something about the head size is just perfect and the long irons are not hard to launch. I am always surprised at the good results I get even on subpar swings. Very reliable, consistent clubs.

> @dmeeksDC said:

> Played 9 holes today with the S55’s paired with PX Rifle 5.5 shafts. Something about the head size is just perfect and the long irons are not hard to launch. I am always surprised at the good results I get even on subpar swings. Very reliable, consistent clubs.

Going in the bag??

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

> @ShankLife said:

> Found an S55 Pitching Wedge at Play it Again sports tonight. Looked barely used. Had a nice 130X C Taper shaft and a new Pure Grip on it. THe only problem I had with it was it being about an inch shorter than normal and Yellow dot (I play black if I am Pinging). Midget style club. Heck of a deal if you fit into the club for $13.99.

Lol, probably found on the course by someone who traded in years later. Numbnuts out there who don't turn in wedges/clubs left behind

> @Nixhex524 said:

> > @dmeeksDC said:

> > Played 9 holes today with the S55’s paired with PX Rifle 5.5 shafts. Something about the head size is just perfect and the long irons are not hard to launch. I am always surprised at the good results I get even on subpar swings. Very reliable, consistent clubs.

>

> Going in the bag??

Yep. I am playing in an event in Pennsylvania on Saturday and I am going with the S55. Tons of rain this week and they are so good through the turf. And I always know how far I hit them, never any surprises. The other head I thought about is the MP59, but a little more bounce in the S55 and gives me a little more confidence in chilly, soggy conditions.

> @dmeeksDC said:

> > @Nixhex524 said:

> > > @dmeeksDC said:

> > > Played 9 holes today with the S55’s paired with PX Rifle 5.5 shafts. Something about the head size is just perfect and the long irons are not hard to launch. I am always surprised at the good results I get even on subpar swings. Very reliable, consistent clubs.

> >

> > Going in the bag??

>

> Yep. I am playing in an event in Pennsylvania on Saturday and I am going with the S55. Tons of rain this week and they are so good through the turf. And I always know how far I hit them, never any surprises. The other head I thought about is the MP59, but a little more bounce in the S55 and gives me a little more confidence in chilly, soggy conditions.

Let us know how it goes... put mine in the bag, too, after SS1x some X100s instead of the KBS Tours they came with. Was supposed to play today but my kid is sick so I wait another week now.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

> @Nixhex524 said:

> > @dmeeksDC said:

> > > @Nixhex524 said:

> > > > @dmeeksDC said:

> > > > Played 9 holes today with the S55’s paired with PX Rifle 5.5 shafts. Something about the head size is just perfect and the long irons are not hard to launch. I am always surprised at the good results I get even on subpar swings. Very reliable, consistent clubs.

> > >

> > > Going in the bag??

> >

> > Yep. I am playing in an event in Pennsylvania on Saturday and I am going with the S55. Tons of rain this week and they are so good through the turf. And I always know how far I hit them, never any surprises. The other head I thought about is the MP59, but a little more bounce in the S55 and gives me a little more confidence in chilly, soggy conditions.

>

> Let us know how it goes... put mine in the bag, too, after SS1x some X100s instead of the KBS Tours they came with. Was supposed to play today but my kid is sick so I wait another week now.

The irons were great, as usual. Really the best part of my round. Shot 81 off the blue tees on a Pete Dye track and didn’t score particularly well (two doubles, one on a 3 putt) and only made one birdie, but overall struck it pretty well. Had a great time. I get excellent distance and height from the S55. I’m giving them another go later this week.