2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Stuck on PING s55's

cardoustie

4 minutes ago, gopherlover said:

Still playing mine from 2015. I took them to a store to have the lofts adjusted, but the worker said they couldn't be bent unless I sent them to ping. Has anyone else run into this issue? 

Yes, unless the clubs are forged then there can be difficulties in changing lie angle by more than c 2degrees without risking damage. Ping will tell you if they can improve on this. 

2 minutes ago, gopherlover said:

I only want to increase the loft by 2 degrees, so there shouldn't be an issue right?

2 minutes ago, gopherlover said:

I only want to increase the loft by 2 degrees, so there shouldn't be an issue right?

It’s possible they do not want responsibility for altering cast clubheads per se ( if they are cast ). But might at your risk. Really, Ping customer service is top class in my experience, why not ask them or visit one of their centres where you can hit off a board. Over here, Ping has an automatic bending machine which may be superior to that used in stores. 

I play the s55 irons and love them its the first set of irons I love since the Titleist DCI 990 and 990B came out.

WHATS IN THE BAG 2024

DRIVER - TAYLORMADE M5 9* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE GREEN 70 6.5

3WOOD- TAYLORMADE M6 15* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 80 6.5

DRIVING IRON- TAYLORMADE SIM UDI #2 MITSUBISHI DIAMANA THUMP HYBRID 100 XSTIFF

3-PW- MIZUNO MP-53 DYNAMIC GOLD S300

WEDGES- TITLEIST VOKEY SM6 53*S /58*S DYNAMIC GOLD WEDGE

PUTTER- PING G2 ANSER 33.5"  PING PP58 MIDSIZE 

BALL- 21 TAYLORMADE TP5X / 23 SRIXON Z STAR

GRIPS- GOLF PRIDE TOUR VELVET PLUS 4 STANDARD

Loved my S55's.  Switched from them to Blueprints then to i59's.  Still have them and may go back still.  There's a reason Bubba still plays them.

PING G400 LST | Tour AD BB7x

TAYLORMADE M2 3W | Tour AD GP8x

PING i59 3-9 | Project X LS 6.5 (Retro Spec)

PING GLIDE PRO 50* | Project X LS 6.0 (Bent to 48.5*)

PING GLIDE PRO 56* | Project X LS 6.0 (Bent to 55*)

TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 60* RAW | DG S300 (Bent to 59.5*)

PING PLD DS72

• 4 weeks later...

Checking with PING to see if they will run me the 6-9 irons in s55 or iblades 

back in love with OG Glides and G400, need some PING irons again

• Like 4

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Seems they will run s55’s, so I got that going for me

• Thanks 1

EvnRoll ER9

2 hours ago, cardoustie said:

Seems they will run s55’s, so I got that going for me

What do you mean by this?  Sorry if it is a dumb question....

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

PING will allow you to purchase replacement clubs with the same serial no.'s as the irons you are replacing, as long as they have the inventory. However I've never known them to replace more than two in a year. I went thru this last year and the year before to replace S55 6-9 irons.

Edited by nitram
spelling
  • Thanks 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

22 minutes ago, nitram said:

PING will allow you to purchase replacement clubs with the same serial no.'s as the irons you are replacing, as long as they have the inventory. However I've never known them to replace more then two in a year. I went thru this last year and the year before to replace S55 6-9 irons.

Good to know they still have s55 heads cause I have a 9i (maybe pw too) that suffer from that original plating flaking issue (just a small area on the bottom of the toe).  I never got it replaced for free after they acknowledged the problem so hoping they won’t charge me now!

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

3 hours ago, drpino said:

Good to know they still have s55 heads cause I have a 9i (maybe pw too) that suffer from that original plating flaking issue (just a small area on the bottom of the toe).  I never got it replaced for free after they acknowledged the problem so hoping they won’t charge me now!

They still continue to have the best CS in the business and will help you if they possibly can.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

• 2 weeks later...

S55 irons order confirmed in 7-9 with SF 95s, red dot, +1”, d7

will be so money with all my OG glides with steelfibers 

will likely put rapture J spec back in the 6 iron spot

back in the saddle again 

• Like 4

EvnRoll ER9

Almost pulled the trigger on a set on the bay today, but went iBlade this time.... Heard they have a touch less offset.  Just getting hard to find nice S55 sets these days!!

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

2 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

Almost pulled the trigger on a set on the bay today, but went iBlade this time.... Heard they have a touch less offset.  Just getting hard to find nice S55 sets these days!!

It's definitely getting harder and harder to find nice sets of these. I'm starting to regret selling my set at the end of last year so I've been peaking on the bay and other sites for a minty-ish set to pop up.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 9:01 PM, shifu said:

Anyone put the s55 against i210s? 

Not the same shaft, but I played both.  Was playing to a 3 at the time, but I did not like the i210.  All of the expectations I had about them were proven false pretty quickly... I found the S55 to be just as forgiving on toe strikes and MUCH better through the turf.  Where I could have great ball striking rounds with the S55, I just never seemed to have that with the i210.  Shot my worst round of the year with them too actually, so there's that.  They may work really well for some but give me the S55 ALL day over the i210.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2022 at 9:19 AM, nitram said:

PING will allow you to purchase replacement clubs with the same serial no.'s as the irons you are replacing, as long as they have the inventory. However I've never known them to replace more than two in a year. I went thru this last year and the year before to replace S55 6-9 irons.

My worry is if I order new ones now they won’t have them in the next year or two to complete my set. 

4 hours ago, ilikegolf26 said:

My worry is if I order new ones now they won’t have them in the next year or two to complete my set. 

Your PING Rep can inquire and get an answer about inventory levels. They have more inventory than you'd think. PW is usually the first to sell out because they are used more often. They either get worn out or left on the course somewhere.

On 3/11/2022 at 11:31 PM, B.Easy said:

In my book they are the best of all time.  

Still yet to be confirmed but, I put these into play cold turkey at a shamble yesterday. I saw the iron lofts and knew what to expect for the most part in terms of distances but, a good solid gapping session definitely couldn't hurt. 

I love the feel, feedback, the shape and action through the turf. The frame the ball awesome and that satin finish is perfect.

I play off 10 and some might think that's a bit high for these sticks but, they were easily one of the best parts of my game yesterday. 

The CFS Shaft (Stiff) also has good feel and action. I'm predominantly an X100 / heavier shaft player so these aren't far off and feel great. 

Long story short, I may be in my honey moon phase on the ball but, I'm liking them a lot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stanks said:

Still yet to be confirmed but, I put these into play cold turkey at a shamble yesterday. I saw the iron lofts and knew what to expect for the most part in terms of distances but, a good solid gapping session definitely couldn't hurt. 

I love the feel, feedback, the shape and action through the turf. The frame the ball awesome and that satin finish is perfect.

I play off 10 and some might think that's a bit high for these sticks but, they were easily one of the best parts of my game yesterday. 

The CFS Shaft (Stiff) also has good feel and action. I'm predominantly an X100 / heavier shaft player so these aren't far off and feel great. 

Long story short, I may be in my honey moon phase on the ball but, I'm liking them a lot. 

Very similar to when I bought mine.  Put them in the bag immediately without much testing and played well.  I thought it was honeymoon as well, but they just kept performing. That was over 5 years ago.  I shot my PB with them twice.  Everything you said you liked is what I like.  I'm a 7, so not much difference in how we play.  Your handi will likely come down like mine did when I started gaming them.  With irons- I feel like you either get on with them or you don't.

I have replaced them as my main baggers last year, but plan on having them repaired and refinished.  Maybe Ping can replace a couple of heads that are in the worst condition? Like I said, best I've ever had.  Very solid purchase for you.

44 minutes ago, B.Easy said:

Very similar to when I bought mine.  Put them in the bag immediately without much testing and played well.  I thought it was honeymoon as well, but they just kept performing. That was over 5 years ago.  I shot my PB with them twice.  Everything you said you liked is what I like.  I'm a 7, so not much difference in how we play.  Your handi will likely come down like mine did when I started gaming them.  With irons- I feel like you either get on with them or you don't.

I have replaced them as my main baggers last year, but plan on having them repaired and refinished.  Maybe Ping can replace a couple of heads that are in the worst condition? Like I said, best I've ever had.  Very solid purchase for you.

Thanks man. The handicap, I expect, will actually climb as I've been playing less and working on some other life choices but, I'm hoping for good things to continue. 

I am coming from shovels though and didn't mind them at all. My last irons were Rocketbladez and, in my mind, you can't get much better in terms of a game improvement high capper iron. They were stupid forgiving and pushed the ball out there far. The only problem was not being able to identify where exactly you hit them on the face all the time. I like that feedback. The Rocketbladez treated me very well as I set two PBs at different courses in one week and one all time PB finally breaking 80. 

I can't wait to see what these do for me. 

• Like 1