2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Top Courses that disappointed

Pinehurst #5 was very disappointing. Just not a good track or in good condition. Played there years ago so maybe it’s been renovated but was not good when I played it.

I think a lot of #5 is pretty "average" golf in that area. It does have a few Donald Ross holes, remnants from #3, I believe, the rest was designed by Ellis Maples at some later date All the greens at Pinehurst have been changed to Champion Bermuda, which is an outstanding and durable surface to play on. On the other hand, I don't think most people would talk about #5 as a "Top Course", even though its at one of the top golf resorts.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will also say Pasatiempo was disappointing and very overrated. Very pretty though. I am sure I will be in the minority there!

I would never imagined that Pasatiempo would get listed in a thread like this. Yes, I would agree with the third sentence above! No offense, of course.

No offense taken at all. I don't think I have ever read a bad word about the course on WRX so it's totally me and whatever skewed expectations I had the day I played it :)

I can't believe I am reading this!

Talk about an under rated course that doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Please explain what you didn't like about Pasatiempo?

I’ll chime in on this...

I wasn’t “disappointed” when I played Pasatiempo, but I do find it over-rated in many places (Golfweek #36 Classic). Conditioning has been spotty (though much better post drought), and I don’t think it deserves as much attention as it gets. To me, it’s the Yale of the West Coast - a fine course with an elite design history that the GCA types like to fawn over as some insider secret. Then the secret gets out and reputation ascends beyond a rational place.

Pebble probably gets more play than any other top course in the country. I think anyone who is expecting the course to groomed to the nines is in for a bit of a letdown. I don't think there's any way to get the greens running quickly without destroying them with that much play.

Not just from players either but - which I only learned from playing there - almost every group around us when we played had multiple "others" walking with them. Friends, family, people taking pictures etc. Greens were very slow when we played.

It would definitely be on my list of disappointing. Doesnt mean it wasnt great. Just that it didnt live up to the hype for me at the cost. 6-10 and 18 are great golf holes. Or at least they are good holes in a great location. Architecturally, to me, there are a lot of throw away holes. Which you dont want at that price tag. But when you tell people you think PB is overrated they just whine about how spoiled you sound lol.

I just think PB grew its reputation with all the tv coverage in the late 80s and onward when people started marveling at this course with the history and great views. Thing is, there are now a ton of courses you can play with great views. But there is just so much money to be made by the people running PB I dont see their ranking changing that much.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Pinehurst # 2 and Harbor Town.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Pebble probably gets more play than any other top course in the country. I think anyone who is expecting the course to groomed to the nines is in for a bit of a letdown. I don't think there's any way to get the greens running quickly without destroying them with that much play.

Not just from players either but - which I only learned from playing there - almost every group around us when we played had multiple "others" walking with them. Friends, family, people taking pictures etc. Greens were very slow when we played.

It would definitely be on my list of disappointing. Doesnt mean it wasnt great. Just that it didnt live up to the hype for me at the cost. 6-10 and 18 are great golf holes. Or at least they are good holes in a great location. Architecturally, to me, there are a lot of throw away holes. Which you dont want at that price tag. But when you tell people you think PB is overrated they just whine about how spoiled you sound lol.

I just think PB grew its reputation with all the tv coverage in the late 80s and onward when people started marveling at this course with the history and great views. Thing is, there are now a ton of courses you can play with great views. But there is just so much money to be made by the people running PB I dont see their ranking changing that much.

^ this X 10

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

The 1 or 2 people that I've met that told me they played Pebble said it was junk; hacked up, crowded, and expensive.
So, you haven't played it? Part of your post is correct; it is crowded and expensive. It is not junk or hacked up. I've played it 18 - 20 times and can assure you It is one of the best courses in the world. Just ask Jack Nicklaus.
Pebble is anything but hacked up. When we stayed there we stayed at Woods Hole, it's a rental house right behind the 8th green and 14th tee box. The back steps put you out on the course. First i'm a greenskeeper so I have a general idea what to look for. Over 2 separate days they spent roughly 100 man hours meticulously maintaining each hole. Hacked up, no
Not sure where the hacked up came from, was in superb condition (with one complaint) when we played in summer. Mallrat, was your sense the course was over watered, it was when we were there and several other Aussie boys have mentioned the same. Looking for your perspective as perhaps due to the climate we generally play harder/faster out here.

Looks like I've been given bum info!

I have personally never played Pebble, this comment was from a friend of a friend in our group who had played. Maybe the course wasn't in tournament condition and he was disappointed about it, embellishing a bit?

Not exactly that highly rated, but TPC Tampa Bay is one course I expected much more from. Conditions were fine but the layout and design were meh and completely forgettable. It's a huge step below other TPC properties I've played (about half of them).

Another one disappointed by TPC Tampa. The only other TPC I've played was River Highlands (Host of the Travelers) and TPC Tampa was lackluster in all areas, cost more than River Highlands too.

I'd much rather make the drive and play World Woods while i'm down in FL.

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

Pinehurst # 2 and Harbor Town.

I've never thought that Pinehurst #2 is overrated, I find it fascinating. Its not visually stunning, in fact its pretty understated. Its not difficult to drive the ball in fairways. But its hard to hit and hold greens, chipping and putting is challenging, and I've usually seen it in good conditions. I'd be interested to hear what you (and the others who don't particularly care for it) didn't like about it.

I've had buddies grouse about Pinehurst #2 as well

Agree on Eagle's Nest. Contrived at best

A similar looking course that is miles better locally is Osprey .. the Heathlands 18 of course

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

^ this X 10

There's some truth to this for sure. If you take away Pebble's pedigree and ranking among the best of lists, and simply evaluate it on the basis of golf course architecture, are you seriously going to place it ahead of Pacific Dunes or Cabot Cliffs (pictured)?

Best-New-Course-2015-Cabot-Cliffs-16-Staff.jpg

I was a bit disappointed with Royal County Down. The conditions were spectacular and the course was very interesting. But by the end I felt like I hit nothing but blind tee shots all day. Felt like I saw the course in 200 yard sections the whole day. It was a let down tbh

My mate played there and said the same.

Said he would not want to play it again. Far too many blind shots and felt it was a bit too Mickey Mouse.

Shame, I thought it looked good from pictures but I do hate blind shots myself. Really dislike The Kings Course at Gleneagles for this reason as well.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

I just got home from Scotland. We played Prestwick, original home of the Open, and I was a bit underwhelmed. There are a few great holes, a few quirky holes, but a fair number of pretty plain holes. It was great for the history, and for a chance to visit the member's areas, but I expected to like the course more. I loved playing Western Gailes, even in a good strong wind, and we had really nice surprises at Glasgow Gailes and The Glen in North Berwick.

I agree on Prestwick. Worth playing but not the best.

Western and Glasgow Gailes are cracking courses.

The weather has been pretty decent lately with it being fairly warm (for us Scots at least) although you must have had a few breezy days thrown in as well.

My usual post in threads like this.....Whistling Straits. Boring repetitive holes, bunkers for the sake of bunkers, many greenside bunkers in terrible unplayable condition, but great view of Lake Michigan if you've never seen a large body of water before.

I was waiting for this post. The thread is now complete.

I have to agree with Harding Park. For the locals paying resident rates it's not a bad course. However, playing $170 to walk as a non-resident was a big letdown. Other that the last 3 or 4 holes, very little was memorable. Yes, it was in good shape, as it should for $150+. However, it just didn't do it for me. I thought Presidio for nearly half the rate was more interesting.

$170 as a non-resident green fee for Harding is a rip off....nothing really memorable...so so conditions.

Yes....I enjoyed Presidio more.

I didn't reach in my wallet...on a corporate President Club...though nothing is for free....eventually paid via a taxable benefit....1st world problems.

San Fran seems like a city of expensive and few golf choices.

I have to agree with Harding Park. For the locals paying resident rates it's not a bad course. However, playing $170 to walk as a non-resident was a big letdown. Other that the last 3 or 4 holes, very little was memorable. Yes, it was in good shape, as it should for $150+. However, it just didn't do it for me. I thought Presidio for nearly half the rate was more interesting.

$170 as a non-resident green fee for Harding is a rip off....nothing really memorable...so so conditions.

Yes....I enjoyed Presidio more.

I didn't reach in my wallet...on a corporate President Club...though nothing is for free....eventually paid via a taxable benefit....1st world problems.

San Fran seems like a city of expensive and few golf choices.

We've gone round the houses on this before. The Bay Area is superior to Greater Vancouver when it comes to public golf courses :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

^ this X 10

There's some truth to this for sure. If you take away Pebble's pedigree and ranking among the best of lists, and simply evaluate it on the basis of golf course architecture, are you seriously going to place it ahead of Pacific Dunes or Cabot Cliffs (pictured)?

Best-New-Course-2015-Cabot-Cliffs-16-Staff.jpg

Considering one was built nearly 80 & 100 years before the other, yes!

Carnoustie.

Got any reasons why? Didn't expect to see this course listed here. If you thought it was tough - it's meant to be lol. Beautiful course though.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

Carnoustie.

Got any reasons why? Didn't expect to see this course listed here. If you thought it was tough - it's meant to be lol. Beautiful course though.

Got to agree. Just can't see why Carnoustie would be a disappointment to anyone. Fantastic course that will test all aspects of your game and leave you a wreck by the end in a strong wind :-)

Not exactly that highly rated, but TPC Tampa Bay is one course I expected much more from. Conditions were fine but the layout and design were meh and completely forgettable. It's a huge step below other TPC properties I've played (about half of them).

Another one disappointed by TPC Tampa. The only other TPC I've played was River Highlands (Host of the Travelers) and TPC Tampa was lackluster in all areas, cost more than River Highlands too.

I'd much rather make the drive and play World Woods while i'm down in FL.

To my knowledge TPC Tampa isn’t ranked. Is it?

Some of these just baffle me. I wonder if some of you are attaching how you scored to your reviews?

I actually love the way this topic is framed, because it takes into account expectations. You could play ANGC or Pine Valley and be disappointed even while respecting the greatness of the place. It just might not live up to your dreams. Which is OK.

I actually love the way this topic is framed, because it takes into account expectations. You could play ANGC or Pine Valley and be disappointed even while respecting the greatness of the place. It just might not live up to your dreams. Which is OK.

Exactly my point in the original post. Oakland Hills didn’t suck - it was just less intriguing than I expected. Price is irrelevant to my point, but may color other people’s expectations going in. But the question isn’t if it is worth the price.

Exactly my point in the original post. Oakland Hills didn’t suck - it was just less intriguing than I expected. Price is irrelevant to my point, but may color other people’s expectations going in. But the question isn’t if it is worth the price.

And I'll add that I think one-time-plays of "great" courses tend towards disappointment. There are a lot of golf holes out there (especially at "great" courses) that are quite subtle - you play it once and you think it's a lousy hole. You play it 10 times and you think it's a lousy hole. You play it 20 times...and suddenly you realize that you've been suckered in by the architect and it's actually a twisted genius hole. It happens.

I was let down by Seminole. Idk I just thought the number 1 in Florida would be a cut above everything else. I’ve played well there and It’s phenomenal don’t get me wrong, if not a little quirky. Still go if you get a chance obviously

A friend has played it and said he really liked it, but said he didn't think it deserved being in the top 10 of US courses. Top 25 yes, but not top 10. However, aren't we splitting hairs here a little bit by saying a course is top 10 vs. top 25. Aren't they damn great golf courses anyway? I mean who are we to judge top 10 vs. top 25, other than it gives us something to talk about on gca or golfwrx.

Haven't played much in Florida, but in the next 5 years or so would look at buying a retirement home and join a private club I would love everyday.

It's okay to say it, it does suck

I see a lot of tie ins to the price to play the course. I guess I would look at it from purely an architectural standpoint.

Some of these just baffle me. I wonder if some of you are attaching how you scored to your reviews?

I know that some of my impressions are influenced by the weather I had on a course. Carnoustie was one, we played it in a steady rain, pretty miserable weather. Beyond that, however, its not a particularly scenic course, no clubhouse other than the big hotel behind the 18th, no charming town as a backdrop, etc. Its a really good tough golf course, just not charming, in my eyes.

And I'll add that I think one-time-plays of "great" courses tend towards disappointment. There are a lot of golf holes out there (especially at "great" courses) that are quite subtle - you play it once and you think it's a lousy hole. You play it 10 times and you think it's a lousy hole. You play it 20 times...and suddenly you realize that you've been suckered in by the architect and it's actually a twisted genius hole. It happens.

I think this is absolutely true, and applies specifically to Pinehurst #2. Its not dramatic, but if you play it a few times you see some subtle things, the variety of angles at which the greens sit, the shape and location of the bunkers, and it becomes more interesting with more play. I've read the same thing about the Old Course at St Andrews, people just find the course to be dull the first time they play it, although I enjoyed that the two times I played it.