Do you really need a 3 wood still.

tiger1873

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go driver then 2 hybrid . I rarely used the 3 wood so I just took it out .

Our course sometimes hosts the PGA Player Ability Tests. Last summer, I played a round with a young pro practicing round for his PAT. He carried a 2H and 4H as his bridge clubs between driver and irons. He had the distance to get home in two on two of our four Par 5 holes using his 2H.

The FW | driving iron | hybrid mix depends in part on how you come into the ball. The trick is to find what works for you.

I have sub-90 MPH driver speed, and I have been happy the last six seasons using 4W + 7W. For a long hitter wanting a single FW, a 4W may be more versatile than a 3W.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

If you play with what I consider to be proper strategy, most courses will require you to hit a couple of 3w off the tee during any given round. As such, I view it as an extremely valuable club. At least 75% of my 3w usage is off the tee, so that's what I'm optimizing for when selecting the 3w to put in the bag. I often sacrifice something from off the turf performance to ensure the club is optimal off the tee.

I dabbled with replacing the 3w with a 1 or 2 hybrid a number of years ago, but found I hit them significantly worse off the tee than a 3w.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I go

D

15 3wood

2 driving iron or 19 degree hybrid

4 iron

I think the balls are so good and don’t spin a ton. I like having enough loft to fling the ball up into the air off the turf and want to be able to hit a fade with 3 wood into par 5s. I use the 2 iron more off the tee because it’s like a security blanket on tight holes. Either way all the gaps hit trying to keep it simple as possible.

I swap out between a 3 wood, 19deg hybrid and 18deg 2 iron. All depends on the course type, length of course and wind for the day.

When I was a younger spring chicken and could pump drives beyond eye sight I just carried Driver and then 1 iron to LW.

Callaway Epic Flash 3xDiamond Tour Spec Driver Ventus 6X
Titleist TS2 17 hybrid - KBS Tour Proto S
Srixon ZU85 2 iron Modus 120S
Callaway X Forged 3-PW Nippon Modus Tour 120S
Titleist SM6 52, 58
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

The easiest way to answer that question is to take it out of your bag and see how you go. I cracked the head of my 3w recently and had 3-4 rounds without it while waiting for a replacement. While it wasn't a terrible option to hit a driver or hybrid/DI on tee shots, the mental side of bringing trouble into play or hitting longer approach shots put pressure on my game. Not going for a few longer par 5s wasn't much fun either. There's a couple courses I play with severe doglegs that you need to bend the ball both ways, and I feel most comfortable with the 3w. Ultimately, if you find a good 3w there's a good reason to hold onto it.

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D2.5) 18GB, 8GF 45.5"

(testing) Diamana PD 60TX (D5) 18GB, 16GF 45.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i

T20 50.07, T24 54.08D, Callaway Jaws Raw 60.08C, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34"  Callaway Tour X

Isn’t brooks koepka sporting a 4 wood?

Love my 3 wood. Anecdotally, you never see anyone on tour without one. Anecdotally (part 2) ~ one of my best golf partners plus a 4w after his driver. Guess it’s all personal preference ;-)

Naw. Brooks is 3 wood. If it’s under 17 degrees I consider it 3 wood also.

I def know one or two 270 to 280 yard hitters not playing a 3 wood. I have never met or seen someone that can hit it above 280 not carry one.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I'm grappling with this very question right now, and one of my off-season goals is to decide once and for all if I can still hit a 3W well enough to justify carrying one.

I've already ditched the 5W because I hit a 2H just as far (or farther) and MUCH more consistently. But there are enough holes around where driver off the tee is too much that I still carry a 3W for just that. I've sort of evolved to where I almost never hit the 3W off the ground because the 2H is just too easy.

That said, it dawned on me during an end-of-the-year senior tournament last week that I was giving up yards on par 5's to guys that were hitting a 3W when I was hitting a 2H, and the difference between hitting a PW vs an 8 iron on the third shot is significant. More to the point, I realized that I've pretty much stopped practicing hitting the 3W off the ground.

So for the winter: Bought a Ping G400 16* SFT 3W to replace my Titleist, and I'm going to hit a LOT of 3W's mixed in with the rest of my practice sessions; one or two between every club change. I'm going to hit the club when I play even if it costs me strokes from mishits. After enough time, I should find out.

Driver

3H

7wood

5-PW

Wedges

I can bang it out there 270 but more often its 250 to 255

3H is 200 to 215 depending what I'm trying

7w is 190 to 200 (still breaking this in)

5i peaks at 190

whilst I could theoretically get some use from another fairway, I'd rather have a really high lofted wedge as my "luxury" club

I average around 280 off the tee and go driver-4 wood-21h. I am playing around with a 3 iron for next season but I'm not comfortable hitting an iron lower than that.

I drive 275-280 and bag a 3W (240-250 yards) and 3H (210-225 yards).

As far as carry goes, these are my optimal distances. Although I try to tighten up my hybrid carry a bit more if I can, this is pretty ideal for me. I miiiiiight move to more of a 4w/ high launch 3w set up because I might be moving to trad player lofts this year which will create a bit too much gap between the hybrid and 4i. Might try to raise the loft a bit on the hybrid and lower the lie to try and take a few yards off.

I’ve really debated ditching mine. But i like it off the tee of two par fours where driver can run through the dogleg, and lately two of the par fives have been leaving an in between yardage. Just a bit out of reach for hybrid, but not a full 3 wood either. I’m thinking of trying a 4 wood.

For me, fairway woods might be the easiest clubs to hit, and long irons the most difficult. It doesn't make sense to ever carry a driving iron, unless always playing on tiny narrow, rock hard fairways with 30 mph cross winds. And even then I can lower my 3 wood loft and hit a lower trajectory just fine.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

I don't think it has to be a 3 wood, but it needs to be something that is a reliable alternative to your driver on holes where driver is too much club.

I'm trying to find that club right now. I found an Adams Super LS 3 wood for $10 recently at Golf Galaxy, and I really like it at times on the range, and the course, but there are days (like yesterday) where it gets me into trouble. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm not playing a lot of golf right now, and I can only practice once a week. I can elevate it off the deck when I strike it well, but I'm not striking much of anything well right now.

The most consistent "3 wood" that I've ever had was a 15* Adams XTD Super Hybrid with a Proforce V2 hybrid shaft. I stupidly got rid of it because I wanted a 3 wood that I could hit farther. Looking back, I hit that club almost as far as most 3 woods out there today, and I had no issues elevating it off the deck. My issue is that it's really hard to find that club somewhere, so I'll keep the current Adams 3 wood until I can find something else.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

I haven't carried a 3w in many years. I've practiced a "geared down" driver shot for a long time and, for my game, it's unquestionably a more reliable than a 3w when I need to hit a less than full distance tee shot. Big clubface + easy swing generally produces a reliable result for me.

From the fairway, needing a club that is longer off the deck than my 2H just doesn't happen that often, certainly not often enough to replace the extra wedge I carry in its place.

I haven’t hit a strong UT that’s as forgiving off the turf as a 3 wood, and while it’d be easier to get the UT and 3 wood closer together in terms of carry off the tee, I’m guessing most will hit a fairway wood further, with less spin and more carry.

Carry would be the operative word, I would think, in the thought process of opting for a UT over a 3W. Personally, I prefer to count on carry distance over total distance.

For me, fairway woods might be the easiest clubs to hit, and long irons the most difficult. It doesn't make sense to ever carry a driving iron, unless always playing on tiny narrow, rock hard fairways with 30 mph cross winds. And even then I can lower my 3 wood loft and hit a lower trajectory just fine.

bingo.

Big fan of driving iron, but only if practice rounds, or ill ditch 5 wood for 3 iron in windy stuff

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

The only 3 wood I have carried in years was a driver replacement. I use a 17 degree fairway wood. It is all I need. Easier to hit and I can get it out there 250. I don't play many courses that I need more than that.

The problem with lower lofted utility irons, is that it is hard to get them up in the air when hitting into greens. I like the height that I get from a fairway wood or hybrid. I usually only use my utility iron off the tee or if I can run the ball up to a green.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

Dropped 3 wood a while back. Hybrids are so good now, and easier to strike well, not much point in them. Longest fairway I have is a 5 wood, though thinking of testing a lower lofted hybrid to compare, as currently longest hybrid I have is a "3 iron" or 20*, though it's adjustable +/- a degree or two.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

I just went back to a Ping stretch 3 wood strictly for the tee box on tight par 4’s and/or windy days to keep flight down. I cannot hit a wood (or hybrid) off the deck for the life of me and I’m much more consistent with a long iron and laying up on long par 5’s. So, no need for a regular 3 wood for my game. While my current bag is under some changes, the next club after the stretch will be a stronger lofted 3/4i that goes about 210ish.

I bag driver 3wood and 5wood at my home club. 3wood mainly off the tee on 2 holes. 2 holes I hit 5wood off the tee and one or two 2nd shots into 5pars depending on the wind. I could easily get rid of the 3wood. I have just carried a 16.5 or my 18 degree 5wood as my only fairway and added a gap wedge if im playing a different course.

My 5wood is a very dependable club that I can carry 240-245.

I carry my driver decently over 280 and have recently questioned this exact situation. I much prefer my DI off the tee on tighter holes and rarely have an approach into a par 5 needing more than a long iron. Even if there were second shots that needed me to hit my 3 wood off the deck, I would not be able to hold the green. I've decided I'm keeping it in the bag and looking for one that goes a little higher. I'm not sure if that's more of me thinking I may need it if I play different courses or me feeling like a tool for my driver being my only head cover.

Titleist TSi3 - TPO 70TX

Titleist 917 F2 16.5 - Diamana W 80X

Titleist 718 TMB 2 - MMT 105TX / TSi3 20 - TPW 100TX

Mizuno MP18 4-P - TTDG X100

Vokey SM9 50.12F, 56.12D - TTDG S400

Vokey SM8 60.08 M - TTDG S400

TaylorMade Tour Spider

I don't get the posts saying 'well pros have a 3-wood in their bag'. Most pros can hit their 3 wood as consistently and accurately as most amateurs hit their 8-iron.

For most amateurs a 3-wood off the deck is a low percentage shot. So it ends up being a 'safe' alternative off the tee or when a whole doesn't require a driver distance. As drivers became bigger and more forgiving and 5-woods became longer, that club got squeezed. A 4-wood became a good 'tweener' club for players, easier to hit off the deck and still a safe option off the tee.

I recently dropped down to a 5-wood. My PING 5-wood distance off the tee is fairly close to my old 4-wood. And it's even easier to hit off the deck. I can't think of a time where a 3-wood would have been a better option.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

This is such an individual issue, depending on your swing, your courses, the tees you play, etc.

Personally, I rarely hit into Par 5's in two or hit "less than driver" off the tee. Those aren't good probability plays for me because I'm a short hitter relative to the tees I play (tee monitors, don't bother - I'll move up a tee when my buddies move up, or start beating me from the tees we play now).

So I can play just fine without a fairway wood. Over the last couple years, I've given a number of them a fair shot, trying to find one that is definitively better (for my needs) than my 15* 909h hybrid. It hasn't happened yet.

I realize that if I played from shorter tees (IOW, if I was a longer hitter, effectively), I would probably need another tee club a lot more, and would be attacking more Par 5's in 2. So the theoretical advantages of a 3 wood might pay actual dividends.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

I don't get the posts saying 'well pros have a 3-wood in their bag'. Most pros can hit their 3 wood as consistently and accurately as most amateurs hit their 8-iron.

For most amateurs a 3-wood off the deck is a low percentage shot. So it ends up being a 'safe' alternative off the tee or when a whole doesn't require a driver distance. As drivers became bigger and more forgiving and 5-woods became longer, that club got squeezed. A 4-wood became a good 'tweener' club for players, easier to hit off the deck and still a safe option off the tee.

I recently dropped down to a 5-wood. My PING 5-wood distance off the tee is fairly close to my old 4-wood. And it's even easier to hit off the deck. I can't think of a time where a 3-wood would have been a better option.

Wel said

this topic has been a good read and given me much to consider.

I have several clubs that could fit into the three to five wood area.

while I like my 917F3 at 13.5*, I have a couple older Warbirds, a 3+ and a 4 that work well.

there's still that older Cally five FT that I just adore.

then I looked in my hybrid bag. holy cow. a 17,19, 20.

talk about options.

best to all.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

I say the pro thing because op is questioning the relevance of 3 wood. and I'm basically saying anyone that hits above 280 needs it, and all pros need it.