Does Spieth needs to make a change ???

Here comes the Boom

Honest questions;

For those that say it's just a slump, let's forget 2015 and ask whether he looks like a top 10-15 golfer right now? [the answer is no, although how dramatic a slump to 20-25 in the OWGR is all relative] I think most people would have put him in this range even if he's not dominating like 2015.

For those that think it's much worse than a slump (I'm in this camp), let's remember that Rory and Jason Day each didn't win for about 1.5 years (both winless in 2017). I'm using them as they both dominated for a (relatively compared to Tiger) short stretch and a lot was expected of them. They are now both playing well (not great for their standards but no one is calling for their demise). Is Spieth really playing worse than those two did for a year plus?

Of course, time will tell which one of these it is...

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure Greller is not the issue. For my money it's McCormack. He might be getting TOO much information and needs to have a simplified message. Too many thoughts and golf gets pretty hard, at least I know that's the way it is for me.

The coach is now a big shot.... the focus is on building his brand... game over

Mizuno MP 37 3i-pw
Mizuno MP 64 3i -pw
Ping G25
Scotty Newport
Cleveland wedges
Prov1x

I'm sure Greller is not the issue. For my money it's McCormack. He might be getting TOO much information and needs to have a simplified message. Too many thoughts and golf gets pretty hard, at least I know that's the way it is for me.

The coach is now a big shot.... the focus is on building his brand... game over

Im pretty sure Cameron McCormack is not making Jordan three-putt from 4 feet, or take 4 strokes to get a ball out of the bunker.

Honest questions;

For those that say it's just a slump, let's forget 2015 and ask whether he looks like a top 10-15 golfer right now? [the answer is no, although how dramatic a slump to 20-25 in the OWGR is all relative] I think most people would have put him in this range even if he's not dominating like 2015.

For those that think it's much worse than a slump (I'm in this camp), let's remember that Rory and Jason Day each didn't win for about 1.5 years (both winless in 2017). I'm using them as they both dominated for a (relatively compared to Tiger) short stretch and a lot was expected of them. They are now both playing well (not great for their standards but no one is calling for their demise). Is Spieth really playing worse than those two did for a year plus?

I don't lean either way but weren't Day and McIllroy both injured at that time?

He really just needs to stop getting out of position on the golf course. His misses aren't just misses, they're BAD misses.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

He's got a killer short game but the rest needs addressing because it's putting too much pressure on it.,

He's 163rd SG around the greens this year...he was 7th in that category during his sensational 2015 run. His SG putting ranking is one of the few slightly positive ranks he has this year in the major stat categories. Last year wasn't even that bad outside of a balky putter, but now everything has taken a hit! Perhaps just 7 events is too a small a sample size, but is still disconcerting to say the least.

If we look at the some of the old stats it seems as if he isn't struggling as much.

Putts per GIR: 19th

Scrambling: 62nd

Scoring AVG: 82nd

But the new ones are ugly.

SG Putting: 90th

SG Around green: 163rd

SG Total: 148th

He's got a killer short game but the rest needs addressing because it's putting too much pressure on it.,

He's 163rd SG around the greens this year...he was 7th in that category during his sensational 2015 run. His SG putting ranking of 90th is one of the few positive ranks he has this year in the major stat categories. Last year wasn't even that bad outside of a balky putter, but now everything has taken a hit! Perhaps just 7 events is too a small a sample size, but is still disconcerting to say the least.

In his hot streak he was draining long putts at a delirious percentage, his wedge play is off the hook great. The rest is 'meh'. His mental game is double edged, the intensity serves him at times and derails him in others. His swing is unorthodox and to my mind he needs to find greater peace with that to free up the capability that he clearly possess in the rest of game.

His average scores in round 1 through 4 the three times he made the cut this season:

Whatever that means.

Counting Riviera his first round average is now 65.25. Not bad.

Another update:

He's got to do something about the ten lost strokes every final round.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

I'm not saying the guy is finished as a golfer but his schtick has def gotten real old real fast. Every time I see Greller, the poor guy looks to be on suicide watch. Literally every shot whether good or bad has Spieth seemingly complaining about something. I feel zero pity for the guy. He was never supposed to be a world beater coming out of college and ended up catching lightening in a bottle. Great for him. This is his reality though right now. Expect a caddy change by October. Dudes as tough to watch as it is to listen to Dottie Pepper. Those two were made for each other.

Honest questions;

I don't lean either way but weren't Day and McIllroy both injured at that time?

Rory had hurt his rib (or something like that) testing too many clubs and claimed it was never fully healed. I don't believe Day was hurt (beyond his periodic back tweaks) but he had some off-the course issues with his mom's health.

He looks as though he's hit a wall. He's always looked as though he's just in from a four day bender with the scowl and baggy eyes but recently he looks like crap.

Sponsors and endorsements won't allow him to but I'd take some time off. Turning up and sucking every week can't be doing his mental health any good. Time off, no clubs and only pick them up for a bounce game with a few friends. No pressure to get results, no caddie putting numbers in his head. Try and reconnect with whatever it was that got him hooked in the first place.

Speculation. Never going to happen but 2 or 3 months off could really help.

He looks as though he's hit a wall. He's always looked as though he's just in from a four day bender with the scowl and baggy eyes but recently he looks like crap.

Sponsors and endorsements won't allow him to but I'd take some time off. Turning up and sucking every week can't be doing his mental health any good. Time off, no clubs and only pick them up for a bounce game with a few friends. No pressure to get results, no caddie putting numbers in his head. Try and reconnect with whatever it was that got him hooked in the first place.

Speculation. Never going to happen but 2 or 3 months off could really help.

Didn't he just have a bunch of time off? It's go time now. Put up or shut up time. Besides the Hero he hasn't played hardly since Ryder Cup. Not even sure he played the Hero.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

I never understood the Spieth love. Maybe at first when he was a lovable cute little guy. Now he's just a chronic whiner. Nobody likes watching that crap after every single shot.

You just can't please anybody around here. If we're talking about Dustin Johnson he's dumb with no personality because he shows no emotion on the course. If it's YJS or Rahm they're whiners and baby's because they wear their emotions on their sleeve. The day JS changes his style is the day he never wins again. Here's some breaking news for some of you guys. It's hard to win on the PGA Tour. Especially now. Even pros go through long periods of suckage.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I'm not saying the guy is finished as a golfer but his schtick has def gotten real old real fast. Every time I see Greller, the poor guy looks to be on suicide watch. Literally every shot whether good or bad has Spieth seemingly complaining about something. I feel zero pity for the guy. He was never supposed to be a world beater coming out of college and ended up catching lightening in a bottle. Great for him. This is his reality though right now. Expect a caddy change by October. Dudes as tough to watch as it is to listen to Dottie Pepper. Those two were made for each other.

Caddy and coach change is needed right now

I never understood the Spieth love. Maybe at first when he was a lovable cute little guy. Now he's just a chronic whiner. Nobody likes watching that crap after every single shot.

Never say never. I prefer his open talk ...made me a fan right away . hes not saying anything thats not going through any players head. Many verbalize it too ..they just dont get TV time so we can hear it

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Caddy and coach change is needed right now

please.. literally baseless comment.. His coach nor his caddie hit any of his shots. If he did either it would just be a further slip away from where he wants to be. I get the feeling thats several peoples goal though in making that suggestion .

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

You just can't please anybody around here. If we're talking about Dustin Johnson he's dumb with no personality because he shows no emotion on the course. If it's YJS or Rahm they're whiners and baby's because they wear their emotions on their sleeve. The day JS changes his style is the day he never wins again. Here's some breaking news for some of you guys. It's hard to win on the PGA Tour. Especially now. Even pros go through long periods of suckage.

people just dont get it .. Its the constant stream of thought , and external dialogue that is who he is .. Its not a schtick .. Its his personality . You cant change yourself because some people melt when they hear you speak .. You just carry on and let them puddle up

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

400px-O%27Meara.jpg

This is Jordan Spieth 20 years from now in more ways than one.

Mark O'Meara deserved to be in the Hall of "Very Good," and I think that Spieth is on the same trajectory if 2015 is his singular high watermark. O'Meara had one outstanding season in 1998 and otherwise had a solid, yet unremarkable career. Speith has hit a few more heights, but this looks to be his equivalent historical marker if he doesn't get it together.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

IMO....JS needs a sports psychologist...and if he already has one he needs a different one. He needs to learn to let things go and focus on the next shot.

He talks to the ball too much, makes excuses on the course, and complains about elements out of his control. I think it was in Hawaii this year, or maybe The Farmers, I saw him yell at the turf/rough after the shot! He bent over and said something like, "can't you just come out normally one time?!?!?" That's bizzare behavior for a top level pro if you ask me.

Basically, I feel he's got too much going on in his head and just needs to free up some!

Yes, Jordan needs to get all new clubs...a new caddy....new sponsors....new coach.....a new wife......house. Did I leave anything out? Oh wait, get rid of the Green jacket ....the Claret jug.....U.S. Open trophy. It is amazing the guy has a career in 4-5 years that is better than most (90%) players in a lifetime - and people just rag on him. Here's some food for thought. Do you think Jordan Spieth woke today and said ..."I wonder what (insert your name) on the internet is saying today"? He's not.

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

Yes, Jordan needs to get all new clubs...a new caddy....new sponsors....new coach.....a new wife......house. Did I leave anything out? Oh wait, get rid of the Green jacket ....the Claret jug.....U.S. Open trophy. It is amazing the guy has a career in 4-5 years that is better than most (90%) players in a lifetime - and people just rag on him. Here's some food for thought. Do you think Jordan Spieth woke today and said ..."I wonder what (insert your name) on the internet is saying today"? He's not.

And...... bingo. He woke up , pissed excellence , counted his money ( everybody does ) and thought about how lovely his view in Mexico is. Meanwhile the rest of us (MBAs included ) slogged to work. Me in the sleet. Some in the snow. Some in the rain.

As bad as his mental state is. One singular moment can wake it up. No guarantees of course. But one thing I am sure about. When you dismantle a proven fast race car because it didn’t preform today. You’re an idiot. You find and fix the issue. Not throw away the car.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

And...... bingo. He woke up , pissed excellence , counted his money ( everybody does ) and thought about how lovely his view in Mexico is. Meanwhile the rest of us (MBAs included ) slogged to work. Me in the sleet. Some in the snow. Some in the rain.

As bad as his mental state is. One singular moment can wake it up. No guarantees of course. But one thing I am sure about. When you dismantle a proven fast race car because it didn't preform today. You're an idiot. You find and fix the issue. Not throw away the car.

Even when the car continuously just goes a mile or two before breaking down?

Or when it hits the curb in practice?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

As bad as his mental state is. One singular moment can wake it up. No guarantees of course. But one thing I am sure about. When you dismantle a proven fast race car because it didn't preform today. You're an idiot. You find and fix the issue. Not throw away the car.

Even when the car continuously just goes a mile or two before breaking down?

Or when it hits the curb in practice?

[media=]

[/media]

When it does start running again and you have a Ferrari 250 GTO or Shelby Daytona sitting in your garage ....consider it a barn find. So yeah I'd keep it.

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

He's 163rd SG around the greens this year...he was 7th in that category during his sensational 2015 run. His SG putting ranking of 90th is one of the few positive ranks he has this year in the major stat categories. Last year wasn't even that bad outside of a balky putter, but now everything has taken a hit! Perhaps just 7 events is too a small a sample size, but is still disconcerting to say the least.

In his hot streak he was draining long putts at a delirious percentage, his wedge play is off the hook great. The rest is 'meh'. His mental game is double edged, the intensity serves him at times and derails him in others. His swing is unorthodox and to my mind he needs to find greater peace with that to free up the capability that he clearly possess in the rest of game.

I think this is pretty much spot on. If the guy can shoot 65, then as unorthodox as the swing is, it can't be that bad. He just has to be "all in " with that swing or do a Tiger and take basically a year off learning a new swing. Not saying it has to be with Butch, but the track record for getting tour players to a new move is pretty good.

That mental edge is awesome when the putts are falling, it feeds on itself and becomes a steamroller, but it is also "fragile". One bad hole and anything can happen.

Regardless, the game has to be strong enough to overcome the fact those 25 footers will not go in with 2015 regularity.