Does Spieth needs to make a change ???

Here comes the Boom

Maybe when people stop comparing Spieth with Tiger and Jack they wont make such ridiculous threads. Spieth is fine and playing like any top 10 golfer. They gave good and bad weeks/months/years.

I'll agree with the comparisons to Tiger/Jack. If we look at their best 10 year run, the difference between Tiger and Phil is huge (Tiger has him more than doubled up). Phil is the 2nd best player of his generation / most majors since Faldo, but he's a (relative) "slacker" compared to Tiger.

Who knows what the future holds, but Rory and Spieth are about on pace with Phil based on how many years into a 10 year run each of them is at (Spieth would end up higher if he could sustain the first 4 years. Rory kind of depends on what you do with the Euro tour wins).

Tiger 1999-2008:

Wins = 58

Majors = 13

Phil 2004-2013

Wins = 21

Majors = 5

Rory 2011-Current (8 years)

Wins = 13 (also played a lot on Euro tour and won there)

Majors = 4

Spieth 2015-Current (4 years)

Wins = 10

Majors = 3

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe when people stop comparing Spieth with Tiger and Jack they wont make such ridiculous threads. Spieth is fine and playing like any top 10 golfer. They gave good and bad weeks/months/years.

He has no top 10s in 5 events this year.

Comparing to himself 3 years ago and there's no comparison. Crazy how poor his stats are, with 78th in SG putting being his best.

This (and the stats posted above) are the key point. His record is exceptional. His play in the last 12 months / especially the 2018-2019 season is not.

For people defending the "he'll be off the tour comments" then I agree with the "it goes up and down, he'll be back." For people saying his game is "right there," I don't agree so much.

Lot of people coming on here patting him on the back, like "there, there, you've had a great career already, let's just appreciate that and to hell with the future"

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Speaking of players who fell off the map (and Spieth does not belong in that group yet) what about Yani Tseng? At 23 years old she had 15 wins including 5 majors and has done absolutely nothing since 2012. Well, she has had 5 2nd place finishes and 10 top 10s total (none since 2015). She's gone 144 events since her last win and still plays a full schedule.

It's a strange one with Spieth. This past week he looked to me as though he's dropped a fair bit of weight/mass off his frame. Absolutely nothing to do with his form but he looks different, his inane talking to the ball seems less and he genuinely looked puzzled after some shots. Lost, as someone said.

He'll pull through though, the McIlroy approach of doing nothing has worked wonders for Rory so why not him?

It's a strange one with Spieth. This past week he looked to me as though he's dropped a fair bit of weight/mass off his frame. Absolutely nothing to do with his form but he looks different, his inane talking to the ball seems less and he genuinely looked puzzled after some shots. Lost, as someone said.

He'll pull through though, the McIlroy approach of doing nothing has worked wonders for Rory so why not him?

I don't know if you could compare Spieth's struggles with McIlroy's. McIlroy hasn't been outside 15th in the rankings in the 2 drops in form he has had (or since 2010).

He has no top 10s in 5 events this year.

Comparing to himself 3 years ago and there's no comparison. Crazy how poor his stats are, with 78th in SG putting being his best.

So what if he had a great year 3 years ago? You can say the same thing about any golfer. DJ, Day, Phil , Thomas, Fowler etc They have good and bad weeks / months. No top in 5 events is absolutely nothing in golf. I don't care if he has a good year in the past. Only the likes of Tiger and Jack in their prime would be held to that standard if they don't make top 10 in 5 starts.

His average scores in round 1 through 4 the three times he made the cut this season:

Whatever that means.

Counting Riviera his first round average is now 65.25. Not bad.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

His average scores in round 1 through 4 the three times he made the cut this season:

Whatever that means.

Counting Riviera his first round average is now 65.25. Not bad.

Last year was the opposite.Started off slow but had the best final round average on tour for like 6 months. Golf is a weird game sometimes. Tiger had the same thing last year.hewould shoot himself out of contention on thrusday and friday but somehow backdoor top 25s and top 10s.he fixed it towards the end of the season and got win #80

I think golf fans have been spoiled by Tiger. That kind of domination has only happened a few times in the history of the sport. It's not fair to expect Jordan to follow suit, and it's unlikely we'll ever see it again. Jordan is fine, he just played his way into a Ryder Cup.

Spieth needs to find a new putting coach

Oh my lord

Again. He putted well for 57 holes or so. This is a confidence issue.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I’m far from being a Spieth fan however it is very hard to see him playing like this. His confidence is very fragile. And his ability to rebound is eroding fast! I hate when my game falters so I can only imagine how hard this is for him when his paycheque is on the line.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

He needs to find a driver that he can hit fairways with. If you don't hit fairways, it's tougher to hit greens and then birdies become scarce. I know his putting has been off for over a year now, especially 15-25 feet, which is where he was the best. But, when you are missing 60-70% of your fairways, that puts pressure on the iron game which puts pressure on the short game and then ultimately putting. If he found a more forgiving driver, say the Ping G400 Max and started hitting more fairways he might be able to relax a little and start playing golf instead of golf swing and putter swing.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

I’m far from being a Spieth fan however it is very hard to see him playing like this. His confidence is very fragile. And his ability to rebound is eroding fast! I hate when my game falters so I can only imagine how hard this is for him when his paycheque is on the line.

I am a fan but could not agree more with what you said. He has all the tools and I like the guy. He might need to watch "Tin Cup" a few times. Showing up too drunk to care might get him back on track :-). I admire how hard he is grinding on it but sometimes even at the elite level a reset might be in order.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Oh my lord

He needs to find a confidence coach.

What a humbling game we play. its hard to imagine a guy like YJS shooting 81 on any course under any conditions yet here we are.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

LOL....

Dude is in his mid 20's and has 38 million in career earnings on course, he does not need another paycheck in his life.

#roughlife

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

His biggest problem is the fact that he had a year in 2015 that most golfers never have. That was a career year that he will most likely never see again. The expectations everyone put on him at such a young age were impossible to replicate. Now if he doesn't win a major and 5 other tournaments there's something wrong with him. It's Golf.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I don't know of any golfer who has consistently stayed at the top of their game for any substantial length of time. Let's give him some time. He just got married and while that will probably be a positive in the long term there is an adjustment period (note, I'm not blaming recent struggles on marriage, just listing it as something that has changed.)

Oh my lord

He needs to find a confidence coach.

What a humbling game we play. its hard to imagine a guy like YJS shooting 81 on any course under any conditions yet here we are.

No kidding eh. Especially after a 64 on Thursday, I really thought this was going to be a nice building block week for him to get things on the right track.

TM SIM - KuroKage 60XTX
TM SIM 15 - Blueboard 83X
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3 Iron - PXI 6.5
Srixon Z745 4,5 - Dynamic Gold x100

Callaway Apex Raw 6-PW - Dynamic Gold x100
Titleist SM8 - 52, 56, 60 - S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Style 350 Newport 2

I don't know of any golfer who has consistently stayed at the top of their game for any substantial length of time. Let's give him some time. He just got married and while that will probably be a positive in the long term there is an adjustment period (note, I'm not blaming recent struggles on marriage, just listing it as something that has changed.)

Maybe he should have taken the Jeter route? Not that marriage is his problem, but I can’t see how marriage and kids can truly benefit a professional golfer. Professional golf on that level that Spieth is on is full of commitments to sponsors, a full time job of practice, travel, and play. Mahan sure disappeared since having a bunch of kids, and in a selfish sport like golf, the family pull and change in priorities can’t help.

I don't know if you could compare Spieth's struggles with McIlroy's. McIlroy hasn't been outside 15th in the rankings in the 2 drops in form he has had (or since 2010).

Rory and Jordan are two completely different players. Rory was born with a God-given swing that has enabled him to hit the ball long and straight pretty much most of his career, except those times when he moved to new equipment and bought into the less spin is better mantra (didn't work for Rory). Spieth's long game has always been held together by band aids and chicken wire. The future could be difficult for him, except at Augusta where he seems to excel and where the lines off the tee are fairly generous.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Maybe he should have taken the Jeter route? Not that marriage is his problem, but I can't see how marriage and kids can truly benefit a professional golfer. Professional golf on that level that Spieth is on is full of commitments to sponsors, a full time job of practice, travel, and play. Mahan sure disappeared since having a bunch of kids, and in a selfish sport like golf, the family pull and change in priorities can't help.

Fair points indeed. However, Nicklaus has said many times that his marriage and family life gave him the stability to continue to perform at a high level. Now if you are in an awful relationship, than yes, you 'll most likely find it difficult to compete consistently.

Different strokes for different folks.......

Maybe he should have taken the Jeter route? Not that marriage is his problem, but I can't see how marriage and kids can truly benefit a professional golfer. Professional golf on that level that Spieth is on is full of commitments to sponsors, a full time job of practice, travel, and play. Mahan sure disappeared since having a bunch of kids, and in a selfish sport like golf, the family pull and change in priorities can't help.

Fair points indeed. However, Nicklaus has said many times that his marriage and family life gave him the stability to continue to perform at a high level. Now if you are in an awful relationship, than yes, you 'll most likely find it difficult to compete consistently.

Jacks family man game was strong too. However, flying to a football game and back probably took a toll on his game too. Maybe he could have won more tournaments but that’s all speculation at the end of the day. We have to remember that jack has also said he never 3 putted according to Bob Rotella so Jack does live a bit in his own universe. Either way, golf is streaky, and I’m sure Jordan will find something soon.

This is all depending on the wife ( glue ) at home. Examples. Lucas Glover vs Jack. One has a wife who’s his partner and biggest fan , and supported the career that ultimately provided for all their families success. The other. Well she wants him to win more so she can buy more stuff. And is willing to assault him to make that happen.

This isn’t a gender tirade either. My wife works and makes more than I. I own a business , cook , clean and am the kids driver. Every day. Lol. It’s just “ wife “ in this instance. Could easily be “ husband “ if talking Lpga.

Point is depends on the support partner at home.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

His biggest problem is the fact that he had a year in 2015 that most golfers never have. That was a career year that he will most likely never see again. The expectations everyone put on him at such a young age were impossible to replicate. Now if he doesn't win a major and 5 other tournaments there's something wrong with him. It's Golf.

I think we've moved beyond his fantastic year in 2015. He was playing great (or at least fine) in 2016 and 2017, although not at the torrid pace of 2015.

He may be "pressing now" (I have no idea), as every bad week compounds on the previous one(s). But right now something is wrong with this game - unfortunately it's not just guys saying "failing to win a major + multiple other tournaments = not living up to expectations."

Golf is hard.

Indeed. Spieth was never going to maintain the levels he set over the last 3-4 years and it was completely unrealistic to expect him to do so. He's in a minor slump, but will get through it. He's too good not to.

I can't help thinking that Woods' superhuman feats in the game, including his ridiculous consistency, have skewed expectations of what other professionals like Spieth are capable of.