Does Spieth needs to make a change ???

Here comes the Boom

Yes, Jordan needs to get all new clubs...a new caddy....new sponsors....new coach.....a new wife......house. Did I leave anything out? Oh wait, get rid of the Green jacket ....the Claret jug.....U.S. Open trophy. It is amazing the guy has a career in 4-5 years that is better than most (90%) players in a lifetime - and people just rag on him. Here's some food for thought. Do you think Jordan Spieth woke today and said ..."I wonder what (insert your name) on the internet is saying today"? He's not.

And...... bingo. He woke up , pissed excellence , counted his money ( everybody does ) and thought about how lovely his view in Mexico is. Meanwhile the rest of us (MBAs included ) slogged to work. Me in the sleet. Some in the snow. Some in the rain.

As bad as his mental state is. One singular moment can wake it up. No guarantees of course. But one thing I am sure about. When you dismantle a proven fast race car because it didn't preform today. You're an idiot. You find and fix the issue. Not throw away the car.

Even when the car continuously just goes a mile or two before breaking down?

Or when it hits the curb in practice?

Yep. It’s still only 1-2 small parts. Somethings just work. Something just don’t. His method , coach , cAddie , etc is proven. It’s just the mindset that needs work. Ripping off good parts is dumb. Cars don’t break. Parts break. What other parts ? I don’t know. Looking at a new putter ( as much as that pains me to say ) or back to the rogue shaft in a 915 driver may help confidence. It starts with a little spark. Got to go all in and find it.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO....JS needs a sports psychologist...and if he already has one he needs a different one. He needs to learn to let things go and focus on the next shot.

He talks to the ball too much, makes excuses on the course, and complains about elements out of his control. I think it was in Hawaii this year, or maybe The Farmers, I saw him yell at the turf/rough after the shot! He bent over and said something like, "can't you just come out normally one time?!?!?" That's bizzare behavior for a top level pro if you ask me.

Basically, I feel he's got too much going on in his head and just needs to free up some!

Agreed. It's like he went down this rabbit hole with the intention of getting better but now he's just lost and resorting to anger and frustration. It may be time to just let go and "give up". Sometimes when you "give up" (control) and stop trying to control the outcome, you can play freely again. It appears that he is trying too hard. There is a fine line between effort and focus and paralysis by analysis. And it seems like he's gone too far toward the paralysis side.

It's not physical. He still has the shots and the talent. It appears mental on the weekends.

IMO....JS needs a sports psychologist...and if he already has one he needs a different one. He needs to learn to let things go and focus on the next shot.

He talks to the ball too much, makes excuses on the course, and complains about elements out of his control. I think it was in Hawaii this year, or maybe The Farmers, I saw him yell at the turf/rough after the shot! He bent over and said something like, "can't you just come out normally one time?!?!?" That's bizzare behavior for a top level pro if you ask me.

Basically, I feel he's got too much going on in his head and just needs to free up some!

Agreed. It's like he went down this rabbit hole with the intention of getting better but now he's just lost and resorting to anger and frustration. It may be time to just let go and "give up". Sometimes when you "give up" (control) and stop trying to control the outcome, you can play freely again. It appears that he is trying too hard. There is a fine line between effort and focus and paralysis by analysis. And it seems like he's gone too far toward the paralysis side.

It's not physical. He still has the shots and the talent. It appears mental on the weekends.

This is probably as good of a synopsis of the situation as you will read.

I think JS should bench Greller for a period of time and fund the leg operation to get Bones on the bag.

Yes, the very same operation Phil was too cheap to expense.

It's was easier just to "terminate" their business relationship.

Didn't know about that! Interesting...

But isn't Bones tramping all over golf courses now with a bunch of broadcasting kit on his back so he can talk golf?

BINGO!!! Hit the nail on the head!!!

Proof? His second nine at Riviera...after being 10 over for 10 holes he proceeds to par the last eight! This when conditions were the toughest and the leaders were dropping shots left and right!

I’m thinking he gave up trying so hard and just fell back on “relax and play the game” mode. Vióla...brilliance!!!

Remember that stretch of golf when Rory was tying course records on Thursday, then shooting in the high 70s on Friday. Even Nicklaus chimed in, "How the hell can you shoot 63 and then 78".

Didn't that just stop one day? I mean really, what can you do other than continue to expose yourself to the elements, building resiliency over time.

Yes, Jordan needs to get all new clubs...a new caddy....new sponsors....new coach.....a new wife......house. Did I leave anything out? Oh wait, get rid of the Green jacket ....the Claret jug.....U.S. Open trophy. It is amazing the guy has a career in 4-5 years that is better than most (90%) players in a lifetime - and people just rag on him. Here's some food for thought. Do you think Jordan Spieth woke today and said ..."I wonder what (insert your name) on the internet is saying today"? He's not.

And...... bingo. He woke up , pissed excellence , counted his money ( everybody does ) and thought about how lovely his view in Mexico is. Meanwhile the rest of us (MBAs included ) slogged to work. Me in the sleet. Some in the snow. Some in the rain.

As bad as his mental state is. One singular moment can wake it up. No guarantees of course. But one thing I am sure about. When you dismantle a proven fast race car because it didn't preform today. You're an idiot. You find and fix the issue. Not throw away the car.

Even when the car continuously just goes a mile or two before breaking down?

Or when it hits the curb in practice?

[media=]

[/media]

When it does start running again and you have a Ferrari 250 GTO or Shelby Daytona sitting in your garage ....consider it a barn find. So yeah I'd keep it.

For nostalgia value? :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I never understood the Spieth love. Maybe at first when he was a lovable cute little guy. Now he's just a chronic whiner. Nobody likes watching that crap after every single shot.

You just can't please anybody around here. If we're talking about Dustin Johnson he's dumb with no personality because he shows no emotion on the course. If it's YJS or Rahm they're whiners and baby's because they wear their emotions on their sleeve. The day JS changes his style is the day he never wins again. Here's some breaking news for some of you guys. It's hard to win on the PGA Tour. Especially now. Even pros go through long periods of suckage.

people just dont get it .. Its the constant stream of thought , and external dialogue that is who he is .. Its not a schtick .. Its his personality . You cant change yourself because some people melt when they hear you speak .. You just carry on and let them puddle up

You may call it completely normal I'm calling it a world class meltdown playing out before our very eyes by a young guy. He doesn't need the money so that has nothing to do with it but when crazy starts coming out in the mid 20's....I think we both know how it likely ends. With all due respect of course. I'm not looking for a fight but I've been playing golf longer than Spieth has been alive and I've seen some meltdowns before. He's close to nut bag material right now.

I heard Haney (save the anti-Hank comments for another thread... I do not have the exact numbers, but Jordan’s numbers/rank on Tour, almost irrespective of the category, are very bad.

Hank was asked, “If you were coaching Jordan, what would you do?”. Hank replied, “I believe that you put the biggest fire out first. Given the state of his overall game, I am not sure where to start”.

I am obviously paraphrasing, but that was my takeaway of the comments.

PXG Proto +, 10.5 turned to 9; Ventus 
PXG Gen4 3 metal ; Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4  5 metal;  Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4 hybrid; 21 degrees
PXG Gen4 Ps; 5-Gap with Nippon 950gh S
PXG Sugar Daddy wedges; 54 and 58; Nippon 950gh S

PXG 38” counter balanced, PXG Mustang

Titleist Pro V1x

I think JS should bench Greller for a period of time and fund the leg operation to get Bones on the bag.

Yes, the very same operation Phil was too cheap to expense.

It's was easier just to "terminate" their business relationship.

What are you talking about? Bones already had double knee replacement surgery.

I never understood the Spieth love. Maybe at first when he was a lovable cute little guy. Now he's just a chronic whiner. Nobody likes watching that crap after every single shot.

You just can't please anybody around here. If we're talking about Dustin Johnson he's dumb with no personality because he shows no emotion on the course. If it's YJS or Rahm they're whiners and baby's because they wear their emotions on their sleeve. The day JS changes his style is the day he never wins again. Here's some breaking news for some of you guys. It's hard to win on the PGA Tour. Especially now. Even pros go through long periods of suckage.

people just dont get it .. Its the constant stream of thought , and external dialogue that is who he is .. Its not a schtick .. Its his personality . You cant change yourself because some people melt when they hear you speak .. You just carry on and let them puddle up

You may call it completely normal I'm calling it a world class meltdown playing out before our very eyes by a young guy. He doesn't need the money so that has nothing to do with it but when crazy starts coming out in the mid 20's....I think we both know how it likely ends. With all due respect of course. I'm not looking for a fight but I've been playing golf longer than Spieth has been alive and I've seen some meltdowns before. He's close to nut bag material right now.

Respectfully, your anecdotal experience watching presumably double digit choppers swear and throw clubs and tantrums is nowhere near the intensity level of tournament golf let alone PGA tour golf. He settled down and showed professional pride in finishing out his terrible round. Didnt pout or make excuses. Tiger has done the exact thing during swing changes.It happens.

BINGO!!! Hit the nail on the head!!!

Proof? His second nine at Riviera...after being 10 over for 10 holes he proceeds to par the last eight! This when conditions were the toughest and the leaders were dropping shots left and right!

I’m thinking he gave up trying so hard and just fell back on “relax and play the game” mode. Vióla...brilliance!!!

He wants it very bad and just needs to get out of his way. It’s no fluke he’s showing flashes. He thrives on this and will come back from it. People said he would never get over his masters disaster yet won the British in historic fashion. He’s a deeply motivated individual who’s hyper competitive. He’ll be holding several trophies soon enough

He's acted the same way since he's been on tour. He's always been animated. Both good and bad.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

He's acted the same way since he's been on tour. He's always been animated. Both good and bad.

Yeah maybe. I don't watch tons of golf but I never remember him like this. Even customers of mine who play golf are bothered by him. Spieth and Dottie Pepper should have a kid together or something. I fully expect him to win again. I just don't on which tour.

I respect your right to opinion. I just know that brand of thought. It’s not a meltdown the way people think. It’s more along the lines of dissatisfaction in self. He’s just cussing himself out under his breathe ( or aloud). It’s nothing more ( the talking ). Certainly not crazy. In my opinion it’s pretty healthy. At least better than holding it in . You should try talking to yourself sometimes. Most intelligent conversation I have most days. Lol.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Yeah maybe. I don't watch tons of golf but I never remember him like this. Even customers of mine who play golf are bothered by him. Spieth and Dottie Pepper should have a kid together or something. I fully expect him to win again. I just don't on which tour.

You should watch video from 14-15-16 he was way worse!! hes actually calm now in comparison.look at the british open final round last year.he never lost it once.Maybe he needs to go back to that.

Last part of your post thats bolded shows your true intentions...

Yes, he needs to make more birdies.

Prepare to be shocked!! hes making more than last year .2019 4.25 per round / 2018 4.16 per round. small sample size. Honestly he just needs to eliminate doubles.Easier said than done when youre struggling mentally in big spots but doable for someone of his caliber and short game

I heard Haney (save the anti-Hank comments for another thread... I do not have the exact numbers, but Jordan's numbers/rank on Tour, almost irrespective of the category, are very bad.

Hank was asked, "If you were coaching Jordan, what would you do?". Hank replied, "I believe that you put the biggest fire out first. Given the state of his overall game, I am not sure where to start".

I am obviously paraphrasing, but that was my takeaway of the comments.

I heard that, as well. Contrary to the general opinion in this thread, Haney's take is that Spieth's problems are definitely not mental. Hank describes him as mentally one of the toughest guys on tour. He thinks it's all mechanical. Jordan has made changes to his swing to juice his distance. In doing so, he destroyed his game.

His personality is to get very down on himself when he's not doing well. A sports shrink would probably do him some good. A readjusting of perspective would be a good thing. That and his childhood buddy Thomas doing so well is putting some self induced pressure on as well I'm sure.

Yeah I get it...would think the major hardware would negate some of that. I'm sure coaching change has been suggested here already. I don't think changing caddie will help with the two way miss.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

I think he's still good enough to win he just needs to play the game like he knows how to. Not like other guys play it.

Seems like he had amazing success and now is trying to change to be better when what he had was better than most guys out there. But I guess thats golf, always trying to get a little better.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

Jordan has made changes to his swing to juice his distance. In doing so, he destroyed his game.

I wondered this, as just watching on TV he seemed to hit it 300+ a bit more often. I wasn't sure if he had just gotten a bit stronger over time (also switched 6.0 to 6.5 iron shafts a couple of years ago).

He did add about 8 yards from 2015-2018, although his rank "only" went up from 78th to 61st (everyone seems to be going up a bit). His clubhead speed was fairly constant at around 113 mph.

If true (chasing distance), I'm not sure what to think. Generally, chasing distance seems like a mirage that usually doesn't work too well (if not learned at a young age, most people seem kind of stuck with what they have). However, I don't think Phil absolutely bombed it when he came out on tour and he figured out how to add distance (he was never short, but in the mid-2000s to ~2010 or so he was one of the longest players on tour). He's also figured out how to add speed recently, and it has worked (at least for now).

JS is the Luke Donald of today, except he never really had the length deficit that Donald truly had. Both demonstrated that length alone was not the key to being the number one player in the world, and both set about ignoring what they proved to chase more length to their undeniable detriment. Spieth is young enough that he might find his way back to the place where he knows where the balls is going to go. But there are others who have not. I for one don’t think he knows how precarious his situation is because these players are surrounded by a sound proof echo chamber that they themselves construct to avoid chasing every angle and being all over the map when things go south.