Kuchar/El Tucan caddie controversy (NO POLITICS)

it's all Steinbergs fault. He is the one that could have fixed everything - but since he is complete utter garbage - his client looks like crap, even though he thinks all should be cool.

FYI, it was steinbergs idea to have TW do that super awkward press conference after the cheating scandal - which was an awful decision.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I like both answers. First of all a contract is a contract. The world falls apart when that no longer applies. Kuchar fulfilled his agreed to obligations and even gave a bonus.

Having said that I would have given the guy more. That's just me. But I would never presume to tell someone else what to do with his money. Every pro golfer has worked insanely hard and dedicated their live to get their rewards...which are not guaranteed by any means. A gun for hire, 1 week caddie, is paid to show up, keep up, and shut up. Hired unskilled labor. That's it. The caddie doen't know English so he gave minimal help. We don't know the situation at all. For all we know he could have been a complete dick all week. Publicly demanding more after the fact is pretty sketch in my book. One thing is for sure. Neither guy comes out of this looking great. But the caddie looks worse in my eyes.

Is it a "contract" if it's not fully executed?

arsenio.jpg?w=558

No but it was so why ask a dumb question? Oh my bad I know the answer to that...

Really? According to who?

One party claims a completely different agreement/lack of agreement.

You see any proof provided the contract was executed?

You can argue that Kuch stated the terms. But, Tuc's statements indicate he never agreed to them.

So, call it what you will, but I don't see any evidence of something that can be called an executed contract.

You can argue that Kuch stated the terms. But, Tuc's statements indicate he never agreed to them.

So why was he on the bag? If he didn't agree to the terms why are we even having this discussion?

There's another point here. By being such a cheapskate Kuchar has done serious damage to the image of golf,and the professional game in particular.

Really?? what absolute garbage no he hasnt

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

I met all of my goals last year and my bonus was way less than El Toucan got as a percentage of my employers profits.

I got somewhere in the range of 0.00244% bonus on my companies profit. El Tucan got a bonus that was about 100 times bigger than mine and he only worked for 5 or 6 days when I worked for 40-50 times the amount of time that he did. Should I complain?

Also I'm comparing my companies profits to Kuchars winnings (revenue). If we looked at revenue based bonus from my company (like you are looking at for kuch) I'm even worse off then.

Quick what is the number for a good labor lawyer?

If the company had only two employees total and you were one of them, I suspect you'd be pretty pissed about it.

No I negotiate salary (including bonus structure) before I accept a job. I'm not dumb enough to think I'm owed anything outside of my salary. It's sad to see many people on here are that dumb though.

Lots of jobs don't really allow you to do that and rely on people's generosity ...imagine if your waitress came up to the table and said that she is paid minimum wage and will only bring your food if you tip at least 15%.

Caddies are very used to agreeing to work for a minimum, but most clients end up paying more than that (especially when they have a good day/tournament). Legally, Kuchar may not have been obligated to pay more than 3 or 4 K, but if he wants a reputation as a nice and generous guy, then he should have paid more than 5 K.

OTOH, El Tucan over played his hand by turning down the additional 15 k offered (much later?) by Kuchar's agent. I suspect that he would have happily accepted this the week following the tournament and Kuchar's rep would still be intact as 20 k total comp would have been a non-story.

This contract is a contract thing is ridiculous. I am guessing none of you tip at restaurants? The contract wasnt some written agreement that everyone had ILA on.

This is not exactly an equal situation. Kuchar totally took advantage of the situation he was in, knowing he could screw the guy then he took total advantage of it when he won. Kuchar is a scum bag.

At some point before he gave the caddie the money he must have thought about how he was saving $125,000 by not having his normal caddie there (really probably closer to $70k since he would write off what he pays his caddie, which makes this even more reprehensible).

You can't defend it. One also might assume that if you helped a guy win after 4 years of not winning, he might give you something in the realm of what is reasonable based on what he would have paid his normal caddie. That assumption is based on also assuming kuchar is not an entitled, cheap, out of touch d bag. Turns out he is so El tucan got burned.

I am 100% rooting against kuchar now his behaviour is not that of someone I would want to cheer for. Kuchar has no concept that what he did is wrong and makes him look bad the guy must be a complete idiot.

The biggest mistake Kuchar made was winning. He could have had an arrangement that said $2K for Thurs/Fri if I miss the cut. $3K if I make the cut and play the weekend and a finished based bonus. If he had finished 20th and made around $95K and paid him a $2k bonus for a total of $5K we wouldn't even be having this conversation. But when he wins and then says "Hey I paid him what we agreed on and then even a little extra", if that's true he hasn't really done anything wrong but the optics are bad since he won and some think that he should pay the guy more "in the spirit of fairness".

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

This contract is a contract thing is ridiculous. I am guessing none of you tip at restaurants? The contract wasnt some written agreement that everyone had ILA on.

This is not exactly an equal situation. Kuchar totally took advantage of the situation he was in, knowing he could screw the guy then he took total advantage of it when he won. Kuchar is a scum bag.

At some point before he gave the caddie the money he must have thought about how he was saving $125,000 by not having his normal caddie there (really probably closer to $70k since he would write off what he pays his caddie, which makes this even more reprehensible).

You can't defend it. One also might assume that if you helped a guy win after 4 years of not winning, he might give you something in the realm of what is reasonable based on what he would have paid his normal caddie. That assumption is based on also assuming kuchar is not an entitled, cheap, out of touch d bag. Turns out he is so El tucan got burned.

I am 100% rooting against kuchar now his behaviour is not that of someone I would want to cheer for. Kuchar has no concept that what he did is wrong and makes him look bad the guy must be a complete idiot.

So I guess you also root against Tiger, Michael Jordan and the myriad of other celebs/Athletes who are notoriously cheap and non-tippers? Anyone call those guys "Out of touch db's"???

I was a server for almost 10 years.

The difference was I understood people leaving me a $20 tip when the bill was $100 with a $20 bottle of wine, and the next table also leaving me $20 on a $500 bill with a $420 bottle of wine. I don't tip on excessive alcohol costs, and I never expected my tables to tip me on it.

So no I don't expect Kuchar to go out of his way and tip based on his winnings, he bought a $420 bottle of wine and the caddie did nothing extra than what would have been done if he bought a $20 bottle of wine. They both agreed to the contract, I said I would have tipped more if I were Kuchar, but all the winning sniveling self entitled comments on this thread have made me be fully on team Kuchar now. Keep on stiffing everyone Kuchar, down with this entitlement nonsense.

So what is the right amount and why? Quantify.

Also the restaurant tipping model is apples and oranges.

to all who defended MK he just admitted his mistake and decided to pay the difference as just announced in the TV coverage of the Genesis Open..

good for David Ortiz but still doesn't excuse Matt Kuchar's earlier behavior..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/26005383/matt-kuchar-apologize-caddie-pay-full-50000

Im glad that he did the right thing cuz after my Tour Bud spoke of him, and he’s in his late 40’s, he said that he’s one of the good guys on Tour and he said that he would bet he’s make it right.

All’s well that ends well?

Cheers?

RP

**Richard is using my iPad as he misplaced his phone and forgot his PW and can only get into his account from his phone, hahaha :) M

And to all those defending what Kuchar did all I gave to say is Matt even realizes he was wrong. Where does that leave you??

https://mobile.twitter.com/PGATOURComms/status/1096524302738968579

I think most people, whether they defended Matt Kuchar's standing by his original payment, or whether they called him a cheap #*#*#, I would imagine mostly agree that it's unlikely Kuchar changed his actual position on the matter, and most likely did this for PR either at the request of the tour, his agents or getting boo'd worse after his statement

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

http://www.espn.com/...-pay-full-50000

Im glad that he did the right thing cuz after my Tour Bud spoke of him, and he's in his late 40's, he said that he's one of the good guys on Tour and he said that he would bet he's make it right.

All's well that ends well

Cheers

RP

Richard, I think you know that I have a lot of respect for you. But, I couldn't agree less. IMO, Kuch was better off keeping his money and taking the hit. At this point, he's lost so much face, that admitting wrong only reinforces how wrong he actually was. Perhaps just a misstep, but I really hope it's a wake up call for Matt. There are bigger underlying issues when you behave this way.

Im glad that he did the right thing cuz after my Tour Bud spoke of him, and he's in his late 40's, he said that he's one of the good guys on Tour and he said that he would bet he's make it right.

All's well that ends well��

Cheers��

RP

Richard, I think you know that I have a lot of respect for you. But, I couldn't agree less. IMO, Kuch was better off keeping his money and taking the hit. At this point, he's lost so much face, that admitting wrong only reinforces how wrong he actually was. Perhaps just a misstep, but I really hope it's a wake up call for Matt. There are bigger underlying issues when you behave this way.

So even though Kuchar screwed up, he shouldn't own up to it? I personally believe when one does something wrong they should swallow their pride and own up to it and move forward. Denial really doesn't work when trying to put a wrong in the past.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

Cheers��

RP

I see it like this.....I beat Matt down for stiffing the caddy Ortiz....I'm now willing to forgive AND forget because he has made it somewhat palatable with the 50k even if it took a browbeating to get the money.....if it happens again, then no mercy!

All's well that ends well😊

Cheers🍻

RP

I agree as well. I believe it’s too late now. He had several opportunities to save face but failed to do so. Now it’s an attempted damage control situation that unfortunately will be overlooked by a lot of golf fans.

TM SIM - KuroKage 60XTX
TM SIM 15 - Blueboard 83X
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3 Iron - PXI 6.5
Srixon Z745 4,5 - Dynamic Gold x100

Callaway Apex Raw 6-PW - Dynamic Gold x100
Titleist SM8 - 52, 56, 60 - S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Style 350 Newport 2

There's another point here. By being such a cheapskate Kuchar has done serious damage to the image of golf,and the professional game in particular.

Really?? what absolute garbage no he hasnt

the only damage he has done is to himself..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

When you could have done something right initially and saved yourself significant ridicule and loss of face.

Kuchar looks even worse in my books now.

In a previous forum some years ago, one could quite quickly work out who you would be happy to tee it up with by reading people’s posts. As it was a smaller forum, you usually got to play with a lot of them and those opinions were usually correct.

103° fever, time for drugs and bed and dream of a sunny golf course somewhere.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Cheers��

RP

My god man is this a serious post? its beyond parody.

I think Mark Steinberg added fuel to this mess. As an agent, he should have predicted the negative impact of this scandal.

A good PR should have been be his first priority but he allegedly told the sub caddy “ I am out of the country. What Matt has offered is fair.” That’s not a winning move at all.

Credit to Mr. Gillis for bringing this topic up

Mizuno MP 37 3i-pw
Mizuno MP 64 3i -pw
Ping G25
Scotty Newport
Cleveland wedges
Prov1x

Good for him that he made it right. II will give him credit for whatever reason he chose to do it. I have made mistakes in dealing with people both in my profession and personal life, and it was ultimately the fact that I didn’t show respect for that person.. That said the real issue wasn’t purely about

The money it was respect, especially since El Tucson turned down the 15k, I think the respect piece was part of that. I hope both parties move on and have no lasting negative impacts, other than learning from it.

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

Is Matt such a nice guy that he was so naive? Who knows. In the end the caddie had been paid, and Kuch will have to wear whatever for a time. Tiger has come out smelling like roses. Time does that.

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

At first I thought Kuchar, aka Mr Pink, was a bigoted skinflint who used his leverage to screw a caddie out of a deserved pay check. Now that he's relented I think he's a flip-flopping, cowardly, bigoted, skinflint who was told by his manager that he stands to lose much more than $50K in endorsements.

Like I said earlier, "What would Arnold Palmer do?".

In life it is important to have a good support group around you. Someone in Matt’s camp whether it be his wife, parents, agent needed to step in at some point and give him some direction on this. He should never have been allowed to make the statements he made without someone close to him advising him first. These kind of stories never fully go away. If he corrected things in Hawaii or shortly after it would not have escalated but unfortunately he didn’t and it did. I hope people leave him alone. Not clapping is fine but hope he doesn’t have to endure to much brow beating while on the course. I will never be a supporter of his going forward but also not looking for him to be publicly exiled.