Akshay Bhatia skipping college and going pro at 18

gatorpedsMD

> @Golfjack said:

> The only reason he needs to go to college is for the social stuff. Make friends, get drunk, get laid etc. His golf game is already advanced and he just needs more tournaments at a higher level and coaching which he already has (not sure if he needs someone more dedicated). The main downside is that he's making a huge jump from Junior golf straight to pro's. College golfers have a few years to hone their games before competing with the big dogs where a lot of guys were dominating their ranks before. It'll be fun to see. He's clearly very talented.

>

>

>

> It's not easy nor really "fun" being a pro athlete, and he'll miss out on the fun college part is all I'm saying.

> bscinstnct wrote:

>

>

>

> "I'm home-schooled, I don't have many friends, but it's kind of the life I like, just being low key and doing my own thing," Bhatia said.

>

>

>

> That doesn't mean he is embarking on this path alone.

>

>

>

> Bhatia has a pair of deeply supportive parents. His father, Sonny, already has talked with agents and relayed info to his son. Bhatia's stable of coaches includes George Gankas, Allen Terrell and Chase Duncan."

>

>

>

> https://www.google.c...pro-career/amp/

>

>

>

>

>

> Bad idea.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Why? tiger has very few friends if any on tour.

but that's by choice, isn't it? ...

i think it's a bad idea to skip college ... the "social stuff" of college includes emotional stuff, which is obviously critical to a golfer ... there are 1000 reasons to go to college for a year or two ... he/his family probably look at classes as a waste of time, and from an academic sense, they are essentially correct ... not saying he can't be successful, but learning to navigate a lot of different environments on your own is a skill ... his parents/support group are assuming he can do that without practice ... plus he gets to learn how to win against competition ... that's also a skill ... he hasn't won 3 straight usga tournaments like tiger had at that age ... how many kids have skipped college and gone straight to the attempt to make it as a pro, and had decent success? ... takes time to develop to a pro level ... best of luck to him, though ...

> @tiderider said:

> > @Golfjack said:

> > The only reason he needs to go to college is for the social stuff. Make friends, get drunk, get laid etc. His golf game is already advanced and he just needs more tournaments at a higher level and coaching which he already has (not sure if he needs someone more dedicated). The main downside is that he's making a huge jump from Junior golf straight to pro's. College golfers have a few years to hone their games before competing with the big dogs where a lot of guys were dominating their ranks before. It'll be fun to see. He's clearly very talented.

> >

> >

> >

> > It's not easy nor really "fun" being a pro athlete, and he'll miss out on the fun college part is all I'm saying.

>

>

> > bscinstnct wrote:

> >

> >

> >

> > "I'm home-schooled, I don't have many friends, but it's kind of the life I like, just being low key and doing my own thing," Bhatia said.

> >

> >

> >

> > That doesn't mean he is embarking on this path alone.

> >

> >

> >

> > Bhatia has a pair of deeply supportive parents. His father, Sonny, already has talked with agents and relayed info to his son. Bhatia's stable of coaches includes George Gankas, Allen Terrell and Chase Duncan."

> >

> >

> >

> > https://www.google.c...pro-career/amp/

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Bad idea.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Why? tiger has very few friends if any on tour.

>

> but that's by choice, isn't it? ...

>

>

> i think it's a bad idea to skip college ... the "social stuff" of college includes emotional stuff, which is obviously critical to a golfer ... there are 1000 reasons to go to college for a year or two ... he/his family probably look at classes as a waste of time, and from an academic sense, they are essentially correct ... not saying he can't be successful, but learning to navigate a lot of different environments on your own is a skill ... his parents/support group are assuming he can do that without practice ... plus he gets to learn how to win against competition ... that's also a skill ... he hasn't won 3 straight usga tournaments like tiger had at that age ... how many kids have skipped college and gone straight to the attempt to make it as a pro, and had decent success? ... takes time to develop to a pro level ... best of luck to him, though ...

Kevin Na. Brooke Henderson. Lydia Ko.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

most college degrees are becoming less and less valuable, people I went to HS with that barely graduated went to trade schools (electricians, carpenters) and make just as much if not more than my peers who have Masters degrees. Other peers I know went to 2 year tech schools and make just as much if not more than me and I have 2 bachelor's degrees, I mention this to say it's not like he is risking that much by not going to college, for the younger generation it's just not that big of a cash cow as older folks think. He wants to be a pro golfer than why waste the time at college? Say he fails as a pro 5-10 years from now... It's not like he is automatically going to be screwed financially because he doesn't have a degree. Also, the social side of college is greatly overrated to many people, myself included, drinking with the bros is not that great... I think he is doing the right thing and wish him well

• Like 1

> @BMC said:

> > @tiderider said:

> > > @Golfjack said:

> > > The only reason he needs to go to college is for the social stuff. Make friends, get drunk, get laid etc. His golf game is already advanced and he just needs more tournaments at a higher level and coaching which he already has (not sure if he needs someone more dedicated). The main downside is that he's making a huge jump from Junior golf straight to pro's. College golfers have a few years to hone their games before competing with the big dogs where a lot of guys were dominating their ranks before. It'll be fun to see. He's clearly very talented.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > It's not easy nor really "fun" being a pro athlete, and he'll miss out on the fun college part is all I'm saying.

> >

> >

> > > bscinstnct wrote:

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > "I'm home-schooled, I don't have many friends, but it's kind of the life I like, just being low key and doing my own thing," Bhatia said.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > That doesn't mean he is embarking on this path alone.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Bhatia has a pair of deeply supportive parents. His father, Sonny, already has talked with agents and relayed info to his son. Bhatia's stable of coaches includes George Gankas, Allen Terrell and Chase Duncan."

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > https://www.google.c...pro-career/amp/

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Bad idea.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Why? tiger has very few friends if any on tour.

> >

> > but that's by choice, isn't it? ...

> >

> >

> > i think it's a bad idea to skip college ... the "social stuff" of college includes emotional stuff, which is obviously critical to a golfer ... there are 1000 reasons to go to college for a year or two ... he/his family probably look at classes as a waste of time, and from an academic sense, they are essentially correct ... not saying he can't be successful, but learning to navigate a lot of different environments on your own is a skill ... his parents/support group are assuming he can do that without practice ... plus he gets to learn how to win against competition ... that's also a skill ... he hasn't won 3 straight usga tournaments like tiger had at that age ... how many kids have skipped college and gone straight to the attempt to make it as a pro, and had decent success? ... takes time to develop to a pro level ... best of luck to him, though ...

> Kevin Na. Brooke Henderson. Lydia Ko.

>

i'll give you na ... not counting the women since that's a totally different set of circumstances on the lpga tour ... who was the whiz kid 20 years ago that turned pro at 18 and bombed? ... can't remember his name ... trent something? ... the list of guys turning pro out of hs that have made it is short, i think ...

these kinds of decisions are difficult to second guess at the beginning...

their wisdom or non-wisdom will only become apparent after a few years..

but as a general rule it is ideal to finish college first because at the very least you have some kind of fallback position in case things don't work out as planned..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

> @tiderider said:

> > @BMC said:

> > > @tiderider said:

> > > > @Golfjack said:

> > > > The only reason he needs to go to college is for the social stuff. Make friends, get drunk, get laid etc. His golf game is already advanced and he just needs more tournaments at a higher level and coaching which he already has (not sure if he needs someone more dedicated). The main downside is that he's making a huge jump from Junior golf straight to pro's. College golfers have a few years to hone their games before competing with the big dogs where a lot of guys were dominating their ranks before. It'll be fun to see. He's clearly very talented.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > It's not easy nor really "fun" being a pro athlete, and he'll miss out on the fun college part is all I'm saying.

> > >

> > >

> > > > bscinstnct wrote:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > "I'm home-schooled, I don't have many friends, but it's kind of the life I like, just being low key and doing my own thing," Bhatia said.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > That doesn't mean he is embarking on this path alone.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Bhatia has a pair of deeply supportive parents. His father, Sonny, already has talked with agents and relayed info to his son. Bhatia's stable of coaches includes George Gankas, Allen Terrell and Chase Duncan."

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > https://www.google.c...pro-career/amp/

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Bad idea.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Why? tiger has very few friends if any on tour.

> > >

> > > but that's by choice, isn't it? ...

> > >

> > >

> > > i think it's a bad idea to skip college ... the "social stuff" of college includes emotional stuff, which is obviously critical to a golfer ... there are 1000 reasons to go to college for a year or two ... he/his family probably look at classes as a waste of time, and from an academic sense, they are essentially correct ... not saying he can't be successful, but learning to navigate a lot of different environments on your own is a skill ... his parents/support group are assuming he can do that without practice ... plus he gets to learn how to win against competition ... that's also a skill ... he hasn't won 3 straight usga tournaments like tiger had at that age ... how many kids have skipped college and gone straight to the attempt to make it as a pro, and had decent success? ... takes time to develop to a pro level ... best of luck to him, though ...

> > Kevin Na. Brooke Henderson. Lydia Ko.

> >

>

> i'll give you na ... not counting the women since that's a totally different set of circumstances on the lpga tour ... who was the whiz kid 20 years ago that turned pro at 18 and bombed? ... can't remember his name ... trent something? ... the list of guys turning pro out of hs that have made it is short, i think ...

Not many in the USA, but most European Tour players did not go to college, unless they came to the USA. Rory, Stenson, Poulter...its a long list.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

Skipping college/university worked out okay for this guy after a bit. Many professional golfers have stayed in college for multiple years and have not succeeded one bit as a touring professional. There is no absolute in this. As with everything in life it's up to the individual (I know so cliched) involved.

![](https://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2017/07/GettyImages-1294279-1-630x473.jpg "")

I understand both sides of this argument but let’s think for a second the group that says he’s making a big mistake by not going to college as a fall back plan.

The first argument is “he should go at least a year or two to gain the social experience”. So after those two years he doesn’t have a degree and he spent part of his time doing school work trying to be eligible so he can golf. If he’s not planning on graduate why waste the time going to class and doing school work when he can be practicing his short game.

The other side of that argument is he should go to get a degree for “something to fall back on”. How many people do you know get a college degree then take 10 years off before joining the work force. If you do know someone like that; how easy was it for them to find a job? What good is that degree with zero experience in that field? That degree is essentially useless for him if he never uses it until he’s 30.

He’d make better contacts and would more than likely land himself a better paying job in the golf industry if his pro career flames out.

Let him chase his dream and deal with it in the end if it doesn’t work out.

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0
3 wood - Cobra F8
Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
Wedges - Vokey SM5 50°, Cleveland Zipcore 54°, Cleveland Zipcore 58°
Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab 3

> @lowheel said:

> > @FLgolfer16 said:

> > he will regret not going to college esp. when he is struggling to make it on tour. terrible idea imo, but typical not being patient of young people nowadays with parents that instill no discipline. College is an important and unique experience.

>

> Free will is a beautiful thing. The kid made his decision and will live with it. The college experience today is not the end all be all especially with the PC patrol. I respect him for taking a chance on himself. he has the means, talent and desire.I wish him nothing but the best of luck.Hes living the dream. College isnt for everyone. My best bud growing up went to trade school and became an industrial plumber.He clears 150k a year on a slow year. hes happily married with 3 kids. Different strokes for different folks

College isn’t for everyone who is going into a particular trade. It can’t hurt him to compete at the collegiate level for a year or two or even longer.

You can go to college whenever, if you have a chance to play on the PGA Tour - why not go for it? It's not like you'll ever see a check from the NCAA. He could take his core courses via distance and transfer into a good school if the PGA doesn't work out. He'll make better contacts on tour than he will in a dorm room.

> @NJGolfer0624 said:

> > @lowheel said:

> > > @FLgolfer16 said:

> > > he will regret not going to college esp. when he is struggling to make it on tour. terrible idea imo, but typical not being patient of young people nowadays with parents that instill no discipline. College is an important and unique experience.

> >

I wouldn't say he's making a bad decision because he's forgoing the academic side of college, but I think the idea of competing at the collegiate level would be valuable experience to have as he transitions to tour life after a season or two. Regardless the kid has some serious game, wish him the best as he makes the move to full time player.

College is severely overblown these days. If he feels his game is right, there is no better time to go pro.

College will always be there.

I think it'd be more fun to be a successful touring PGA pro than hanging out with a bunch of schlebs at college parties funded by student loans and mom/dad. I think the millionaire early-20s parties who could choose to partake in would more than eclipse the college "fun."

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

I understand that my story is completely different, but I was given an opportunity to buy into a business when I was 3 semesters in to college. I made the choice that college would always be there and I could only go broke so many times in my life, having the ability to do that when i was young and had fewer responsibilities when it came to family, mortgage, etc. it was the right time for me. Now, many years later, I'm still thrilled about my choice. Sure, I have a lot more grey, I have a much smaller social circle outside of business and the golf course, and I have experienced some highs and lows that the normal person at 22-23 doesnt, I would never want to go back on the decision I made.

I have no doubt that he has thought through all of the goods, the bads, and all the inbetweens of going the route that he has gone. I would venture to guess that he is going to be quite happy that he made the decision to go for it when he was given the opportunity given he can always go back and go to college, get a job, etc. The Tour is going to provide him endless opportunities after given the connections that he will be able to make. I'm all for the skipping college decision because in the end, you never want to ask "what if".

I'd be getting into the pro game as soon as I could too, if I had the game. Purses are at an all-time high, and those levels are unsustainable for long-term success of the PGA Tour. Get what you can get now while your body is young and healthy, because as we all know, golf is not a game that is necessarily friendly on important body parts that affect overall quality of life.

As soon as Tiger and Phil retire and TV viewership on the whole declines because of their absences, purses and sponsorship money will follow suit and decline as well, especially at the smaller, garden-variety PGA Tour stops. The money will still be good on Tour, don't get me wrong, but I think we're looking at a massive purse correction coming on the PGA Tour, and I don't think its that far off.

My main concern is that I want the kid to succeed and the history of kids from the US skipping college and trying to make it thru the mini-tours and Web.com Tour is horrendous. The history of big time junior golfers going thru college for 1-3 years and then trying to make the Tour is entirely better.

And while he is a fantastic player, he really hasn’t shown that he can make it to the Tour thru the mini Tours at this point. One would generally project that he’s going to only get better, but trying to project how much better he will get is another animal. So, I go back to the history of golfers skipping college and trying to make it the PGA Tour thru US mini-tours.

I think college golf has some real value. But one of the big things is how it can sustain a player’s confidence. Trying to make it thru the US mini-tours is tough. Monday qualifiers where 67 in the pre-qualifier doesn’t cut it. That may get you a victory by 4 strokes in AJGA golf and a victory in college golf…but, in mini-Tour golf it may result more in slamming the trunk and coming away with nothing.

Also, the US Tours don’t have much in the way of social atmosphere. Everybody is doing their own thing. And when you’re confidence is hurt, it often helps to have others there to support you or being a sounding board for you.

That’s why I would recommend that if he’s steadfast on skipping college, try out for the European Tour. The talent level, outside of the very top talents, isn’t so brutal. And you’re not caught in as many situations where scores are utterly ridiculous and even the smallest error means coming away with nothing. And many golfers end up traveling in groups on the Euro Tour which provides a much need social atmosphere. And I think traveling to places in Europe is helpful. It beats playing in Orangeburg, SC for a 2-day event -15 under is the final payout.

But the college game is much different than it once was. Especially with the big time programs where the golfers are nicely secluded from uncessary distractions and can work on their game and schoolwork. There’s a lot of comradarie with these teams and personally, I think the quality of college coaches is lightyears ahead of where it was during my time. I don’t think you’re seeing miserable human beings that are just chaffeuring golfers from tournament to tournament anymore. You’re seeing quality coaches that may not work with the golfer’s swing and mechanics…but is good at developing talent.

RH

Good for him. College is a waste for a lot of people including non athletes. All depends on the individual. In this case it makes a ton of sense and hopefully it works out for him.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

It's not my place to judge the kid for his decisions but here's my perspective based on listening to him on a 45 minute podcast recently. I understand he is "homeschooled" but his stated daily routine didn't include any school work. The podcast host asked about where school falls into his daily routine. Bhatia said school wasn't his "thing" and it wasn't a part of his daily routine. He also came off quite immature and lacking in basic conversational skills, even for his age. I will stop short of saying the kid lacks intelligence. That isn't at all what I'm trying to say. But the podcast left me with the distinct impression, he would struggle to qualify academically for many colleges anyway. At this point, he's just too far behind where other kids his age should be.

With that said, I wish him well.

I can only offer these..................."Tomorrow is not promised"............"He who hesitates is lost"................"The early bird gets the worm".............."Strike while the iron is hot"..............."You snooze you lose".............and last but not least "If at first you don't succeed, the heck with sky diving".......

at 18 he can afford to make mistakes.. He will make money from sponsors...if he doesn't succeed and has good people behind him, he can fall back to college..

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

People who are not interested in higher education should not attend college. I'm really sick of college sports being used as lower level professional leagues and "student-athletes" who have no interest in attending classes and actually learning something.

Edit - I'm also sick of colleges using athletes as cheap labor to rake in millions of dollars.

For these reasons I really don't watch any college sports.

> @"Mr. Hogan" said:

> People who are not interested in higher education should not attend college. I'm really sick of college sports being used as lower level professional leagues and "student-athletes" who have no interest in attending classes and actually learning something.

>

> Edit - I'm also sick of colleges using athletes as cheap labor to rake in millions of dollars.

>

> For these reasons I really don't watch any college sports.

Agreed. And how arrogant that some think only in college you can learn "social stuff." I think it, on the whole, delays social development. Partying on someone else's dime and living in a bubble that is not realistic in any sense.

It's worse than ever today.. borrowing $100s of $1000s to get a degree that will, if you're lucky, pay it back in 20 years. Living with Mom/Dad for an extra 5 - 10 years while working on an "advanced degree" that tacks on more debt... That's far less mature than say, learning a trade, getting a license, networking, finding your own business, eating what you kill, staying out of debt, investing in more of the same....

Yeah, I went to college and did well. Still, might not do it in today's world if I had to start from today.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1