Considering a Move to Florida...Where Should We Move?

bhj83

Atlantic public courses are dumps.

Don't know if I'm allowed to post this link. But it shows the housing market in Florida.

Good read if you're really interested in exploring the areas we spoke of

https://www.buildero...lux-of-buyers_o

again. agreed. I lived next to the only public course that was not a dump (cobblestone).

Head for the Carolinas

OP wants year-round golf. And SC is a dump

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Moving to Atlanta when I got out of college was about the worst mistake I've ever made in my life. I could write a thesis about why Georgia sucks, in particular Atlanta.

As far as golf in Atlanta, yes...public golf sucks. And most of the private courses have some sort of home equity deal where basically you have to own property there in order to be a member, then pay outrageous dues.

I didn't really like Georgia golf much either. South Carolina is pretty dumpy, but the golf courses in there and NC are very nice. In fact, when I went to Pinehurst this past September, I kept thinking about how good Carolinas golf was back when I went to college at Coastal Carolina.

One crazy thing about Georgia golf...some of the worst finishing holes I've ever seen are there. You can play a very nice course and then the finishing hole is rotten. And if you get in Atlanta, it's a bit too hilly for my tastes. I will say that golfing in Georgia I learned how to hit it straight from just about any lie.

One thing about Atlanta and golf...I think Atlanta may have some of the worst weather in all of the United States. They actually get more rainfall than Seattle on a yearly basis. But due to the runoff issues and overpopulation...the water levels have to be high or you'll be in a drought. That's what it does come November...rain. Then that rain turns into freezing rain/ice from December thru March which is really fun when you're driving in a city filled with trees and a branch snaps off and goes thru your windshield. Then you get more pollen than you ever knew possibly existed in the Spring. From November thru April, it's about 25* colder in Atlanta than in Orlando. But in the summer, it's almost as hot as Orlando. This is not fun.

Oh and when they have a drought...it greatly affects the golf courses. We don't worry about that in Florida because as hot as it gets...you know it's going to downpour for 30-minutes to an hour and the courses stay green all year long.

RH

Moving to Atlanta when I got out of college was about the worst mistake I've ever made in my life. I could write a thesis about why Georgia sucks, in particular Atlanta.

As far as golf in Atlanta, yes...public golf sucks. And most of the private courses have some sort of home equity deal where basically you have to own property there in order to be a member, then pay outrageous dues.

I didn't really like Georgia golf much either. South Carolina is pretty dumpy, but the golf courses in there and NC are very nice. In fact, when I went to Pinehurst this past September, I kept thinking about how good Carolinas golf was back when I went to college at Coastal Carolina.

One crazy thing about Georgia golf...some of the worst finishing holes I've ever seen are there. You can play a very nice course and then the finishing hole is rotten. And if you get in Atlanta, it's a bit too hilly for my tastes. I will say that golfing in Georgia I learned how to hit it straight from just about any lie.

One thing about Atlanta and golf...I think Atlanta may have some of the worst weather in all of the United States. They actually get more rainfall than Seattle on a yearly basis. But due to the runoff issues and overpopulation...the water levels have to be high or you'll be in a drought. That's what it does come November...rain. Then that rain turns into freezing rain/ice from December thru March which is really fun when you're driving in a city filled with trees and a branch snaps off and goes thru your windshield. Then you get more pollen than you ever knew possibly existed in the Spring. From November thru April, it's about 25* colder in Atlanta than in Orlando. But in the summer, it's almost as hot as Orlando. This is not fun.

Oh and when they have a drought...it greatly affects the golf courses. We don't worry about that in Florida because as hot as it gets...you know it's going to downpour for 30-minutes to an hour and the courses stay green all year long.

RH

Did not know you were buds with Brandel. He gave you a huge shout out on Live From the Players last night.

Blended average temperature in Jupiter, FL for the 8 months of October through May is ~80 degrees. It is absolutely beautiful nearly every day November through April.

The blended average temp for the remaining 4 months of June through September is ~90. Yes, the summers are very hot and humid, but at least there's often an ocean breeze. Air movement is critical to comfort in the heat and humidity IMO.

Summers in Jersey and many other areas of the country are also hot and humid and in my lifetime of experience tend to stress the hell out of our bent grass golf courses often rendering conditions sub-optimal during the peak months of what is typically a 7 1/2 month season.

Everyone's different, but I'd rather endure the summer heat in FL and have the option to play my home course 12 mos out of the year than have to endure brutal winters and essentially no golf or nasty cold golf for 3-5 months. I also plan to travel north to visit my kids and other family in the summers.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I live in Vero Beach and enjoy it. Not too small a place so there's stuff to do, and it's easy to get to more populated areas. The golf is good, real estate is reasonable, taxes are moderate. Decent restaurants (awesome Mexican food if you know where to go) and more not-super-old people seem to be moving here gradually, which is welcome.

Senior Writer, GolfPass

PING G425 LST - KBS TD 60g Cat 4
Srixon Z F65 15 & 19
TM V-Steel 21
PXG 0311 ST (GEN 4) 4-W - Nippon Modus3 105X
Titleist Vokey SM8 52 & 58 (raw)
Evnroll ER5 (370g)

If you golf a lot and I assume you do stay away from the Naples, Fort Myers parts of Florida as golf is extremley expensive from December to the end of April. They gouge you here as I live here. Crappy courses that you would never play in the summer for $20 bucks in the winter they are charging $60 to 80 bucks. Unless you live on a golf course bring your checkbook. No discounts for people that live year round. Expect to pay anywhere from $80 to $120 and 5 hours later with slow play you will finish up.

As a life-long FL native, I'd like to point out that we don't have that many crackheads.

Meth heads. That's what we have. A lot of em.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

> @dpb5031 said:

> Blended average temperature in Jupiter, FL for the 8 months of October through May is ~80 degrees. It is absolutely beautiful nearly every day November through April.

>

>

>

> The blended average temp for the remaining 4 months of June through September is ~90. Yes, the summers are very hot and humid, but at least there's often an ocean breeze. Air movement is critical to comfort in the heat and humidity IMO.

>

>

>

> Summers in Jersey and many other areas of the country are also hot and humid and in my lifetime of experience tend to stress the **** out of our bent grass golf courses often rendering conditions sub-optimal during the peak months of what is typically a 7 1/2 month season.

>

>

>

> Everyone's different, but I'd rather endure the summer heat in FL and have the option to play my home course 12 mos out of the year than have to endure brutal winters and essentially no golf or nasty cold golf for 3-5 months. I also plan to travel north to visit my kids and other family in the summers.

This, if you can afford it Jupiter is the place to be.

• Like 1

I am partial to the west coast because of the beaches and absolutely love living in St Pete. I moved from Ohio in 2007 as a 23 year old. I now have a 3 year old and 1 year old. Public schools are not the best but that's Florida in general. The way I look at it is the money you are saving not having to pay state taxes is going toward a good private education. I will say that St Pete is pretty weak as far as public golf courses are concerned but there are a few private clubs that are nice and reasonable as far as private clubs are concerned. You wouldn't be disappointed with the restaurants, breweries, and overall nightlife. Check out this recent article that was on Forbes.com

https://www.forbes.com/sites/fathom/2019/03/16/travel-itinerary-st-pete-florida/#1c89662c1b7b

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

• 2 weeks later...

I've lived in Pensacola for 5 years now. I moved here from San Diego, and I grew up in Houston, TX.

I love Pensacola.

Pensacola is growing!

It's laid back.

Has amazing beaches and water (Johnson's Beach is very, very family friendly).

World class fishing.

There are some great golf courses here.

The Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail starts close by!

The University of West Florida is a great school (if you're thinking long-term).

There are tons of historical sites to see.

Housing is affordable (New build. 2200 sqft 4/3 on .25 acres for $230K). There are some much more expensive areas too.

Traffic isn't horrible unless you're going to P'cola Beach during Spring Break/summer season.

Small town feel; I know my neighbors! Our kids all play outside and so do we!

There are some things I don't like though.

This county is rather impoverished.

The layout of the roads here isn't great. There really isn't a great way to get across town.

The cost of living is higher than I expected.

Shopping isn't great either.

This all being said, my wife and I plan to move south - somewhere between Tampa and Fort Myers in about 10 years when our youngest graduates from high school.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* - Diamana W 70X
Adams XTD TI 15* - Fuji 8X07

Nike VRII Pro SC 3 Iron - C-Taper X
Mizuno MP54 4 Iron - C Taper X
Mizuno MP64 5-P - C Taper X

Vokey SM7 50F, 56(55)F - C Taper X
Vokey SM7 60 K - Tour V 130

Bettinardi BB33

I live in South Florida (Fort Lauderdale). There are a number of great golf courses nearby. As far as quality of life personally I would say West Palm Beach County is more desirable. Having said that we are looking at moving west to St. Pete so if anyone has good local tracks please let me know!

TaylorMade Qi10 LS- Ventus Red TR 7X

TaylorMade BRNR Mini Driver- GD DI 8TX

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5W- Ventus Red 9TX

TaylorMade P770 3i MMT 125TX

TaylorMade P7MB- 4-PW MMT 125TX

TaylorMade MG4 54/60- MMT 125 TX

Phantom X 7.5/9.5

> @JStang said:

> I am partial to the west coast because of the beaches and absolutely love living in St Pete. I moved from Ohio in 2007 as a 23 year old. I now have a 3 year old and 1 year old. Public schools are not the best but that's Florida in general. The way I look at it is the money you are saving not having to pay state taxes is going toward a good private education. I will say that St Pete is pretty weak as far as public golf courses are concerned **but there are a few private clubs that are nice and reasonable as far as private clubs are concerned.** You wouldn't be disappointed with the restaurants, breweries, and overall nightlife. Check out this recent article that was on Forbes.com

>

> https://www.forbes.com/sites/fathom/2019/03/16/travel-itinerary-st-pete-florida/#1c89662c1b7b

Huh? Name them.

> @ilikegolf26 said:

> > @JStang said:

> > I am partial to the west coast because of the beaches and absolutely love living in St Pete. I moved from Ohio in 2007 as a 23 year old. I now have a 3 year old and 1 year old. Public schools are not the best but that's Florida in general. The way I look at it is the money you are saving not having to pay state taxes is going toward a good private education. I will say that St Pete is pretty weak as far as public golf courses are concerned **but there are a few private clubs that are nice and reasonable as far as private clubs are concerned.** You wouldn't be disappointed with the restaurants, breweries, and overall nightlife. Check out this recent article that was on Forbes.com

> >

> > https://www.forbes.com/sites/fathom/2019/03/16/travel-itinerary-st-pete-florida/#1c89662c1b7b

>

> Huh? Name them.

Initiation to Pasadena isn't bad at all and monthly dues are around $300. Not bad if you ask me. I havent priced out Feathersound in a while but it was about the same from what I recall. Bayou is inexpensive. I'm under 40 so I know the deals are better than over 40.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

• 2 weeks later...

Have lived in Naples/Ft. Myers for 25 years and would never think of leaving. Travel all over the country for work and have not found any place I would rather live, and I can live anywhere that has an airport.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

> @sdandrea said:

> We snowbird to Citrus County on the Gulf side of the state - Nature Coast area. Towns like Crystal River, Inverness, Hernando, Lecanto are quaint, low cost places with lots of local flavor and PLENTY of golf.

How are the courses in Crystal River? Used to fly over them all the time but never had the chance to play 'em. The one directly west of the airport in particular looked pretty good.

> @prorobo said:

> > @sdandrea said:

> > We snowbird to Citrus County on the Gulf side of the state - Nature Coast area. Towns like Crystal River, Inverness, Hernando, Lecanto are quaint, low cost places with lots of local flavor and PLENTY of golf.

>

> How are the courses in Crystal River? Used to fly over them all the time but never had the chance to play 'em. The one directly west of the airport in particular looked pretty good.

They're "affordable" but not lush. There are a number of very nice tracks in the area though, like Juliette Falls and World Woods.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

> @sdandrea said:

> > @prorobo said:

> > > @sdandrea said:

> > > We snowbird to Citrus County on the Gulf side of the state - Nature Coast area. Towns like Crystal River, Inverness, Hernando, Lecanto are quaint, low cost places with lots of local flavor and PLENTY of golf.

> >

> > How are the courses in Crystal River? Used to fly over them all the time but never had the chance to play 'em. The one directly west of the airport in particular looked pretty good.

>

> They're "affordable" but not lush. There are a number of very nice tracks in the area though, like Juliette Falls and World Woods.

Juliette Falls is one of my favorite designs in all of Florida. Fantastic golf course.

RH

> @"Tim Gavrich" said:

> I live in Vero Beach and enjoy it. Not too small a place so there's stuff to do, and it's easy to get to more populated areas. The golf is good, real estate is reasonable, taxes are moderate. Decent restaurants (awesome Mexican food if you know where to go) and more not-super-old people seem to be moving here gradually, which is welcome.

Tell me more of this "awesome Mexican food" you speak of? I've been in Melbourne for 2.5 years now (after 13 years in Los Angeles) and I can't find anything above "decent" and that's being generous.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Florida, oh Florida. Grew up in Sarasota, so as a native I'm allowed to critique.

Kitsch. That's Florida, and largely what is enjoyable and fun about it. Nobody taking things too seriously. Awful old slow drivers in the winter (and summer too!).

Awful food. Nothing grows in Florida except oranges, so nothing is locally sourced. It seems like retirees decide to open restaurants, like "Susie's Country Cooking" for no reason other than that they have time on their hands and think they can cook.

Now, if you have the money and love the water, great place. The expensive golf is pretty good (but there aren't many places it isn't).

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

> @FlashinLeather said:

> > @dpb5031 said:

> > Blended average temperature in Jupiter, FL for the 8 months of October through May is ~80 degrees. It is absolutely beautiful nearly every day November through April.

> >

> >

> >

> > The blended average temp for the remaining 4 months of June through September is ~90. Yes, the summers are very hot and humid, but at least there's often an ocean breeze. Air movement is critical to comfort in the heat and humidity IMO.

> >

> >

> >

> > Summers in Jersey and many other areas of the country are also hot and humid and in my lifetime of experience tend to stress the **** out of our bent grass golf courses often rendering conditions sub-optimal during the peak months of what is typically a 7 1/2 month season.

> >

> >

> >

> > Everyone's different, but I'd rather endure the summer heat in FL and have the option to play my home course 12 mos out of the year than have to endure brutal winters and essentially no golf or nasty cold golf for 3-5 months. I also plan to travel north to visit my kids and other family in the summers.

>

> This, if you can afford it Jupiter is the place to be.

And if you can't afford Jupiter, C'mon up to St. Lucie West 30 miles north. Same weather, great golf, less $$$$$.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

> @Openwater22 said:

> > @FlashinLeather said:

> > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > Blended average temperature in Jupiter, FL for the 8 months of October through May is ~80 degrees. It is absolutely beautiful nearly every day November through April.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > The blended average temp for the remaining 4 months of June through September is ~90. Yes, the summers are very hot and humid, but at least there's often an ocean breeze. Air movement is critical to comfort in the heat and humidity IMO.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Summers in Jersey and many other areas of the country are also hot and humid and in my lifetime of experience tend to stress the **** out of our bent grass golf courses often rendering conditions sub-optimal during the peak months of what is typically a 7 1/2 month season.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Everyone's different, but I'd rather endure the summer heat in FL and have the option to play my home course 12 mos out of the year than have to endure brutal winters and essentially no golf or nasty cold golf for 3-5 months. I also plan to travel north to visit my kids and other family in the summers.

> >

> > This, if you can afford it Jupiter is the place to be.

>

> And if you can't afford Jupiter, C'mon up to St. Lucie West 30 miles north. Same weather, great golf, less $$$$$.

>

So true! PGA Village and the entire greater Stuart and Palm City areas are great too. If it weren't that my wife absolutely loves the Jupiter area (for all good reasons) plus airport proximity, we'd likely be up that way.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @pgapromex said:

> You might try Ocala, moved here from Venice area. Cheap housing, good climate and some nice tracks, Country Club of Ocala, Ocala National. Played Juliette Falls yesterday. I like it here as the golf courses have elevation changes, most of Florida is flat. I dont know about jobs or schools here

My aunt and uncle live in Ocala. I'll agree, there are some stunningly beautiful golf courses up there with surprising elevation changes, but the climate is nothing like South East FL. It's hotter, muggier and more stagnant in the summers, and considerably colder in the winters. I've explained previously in this thread how the Gulf Stream moderates the temps in Southeast FL and how the ocean breezes keep the bugs at bay. Very different up there in the center of the state.

It's also generally has a rural "in the middle of nowhere" type of feel to it, and no beach nearby. All good if that's what you prefer...everyone's different. I like having the beach and waterfront restaurants 10 min from my place, and a short drive to the Kravis Center for arts and entertainment. We went to the Lion King on Sunday and it was awesome!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @dpb5031 said:

> > @pgapromex said:

> > You might try Ocala, moved here from Venice area. Cheap housing, good climate and some nice tracks, Country Club of Ocala, Ocala National. Played Juliette Falls yesterday. I like it here as the golf courses have elevation changes, most of Florida is flat. I dont know about jobs or schools here

>

> My aunt and uncle live in Ocala. I'll agree, there are some stunningly beautiful golf courses up there with surprising elevation changes, but the climate is nothing like South East FL. **It's hotter, muggier and more stagnant in the summers**, and considerably colder in the winters. I've explained previously in this thread how the Gulf Stream moderates the temps in Southeast FL and how the ocean breezes keep the bugs at bay. Very different up there in the center of the state.

>

> It's also generally has a rural "in the middle of nowhere" type of feel to it, and no beach nearby. All good if that's what you prefer...everyone's different. I like having the beach and waterfront restaurants 10 min from my place, and a short drive to the Kravis Center for arts and entertainment. We went to the Lion King on Sunday and it was awesome!

unh0w4zvl9zs.jpg

> @pgapromex said:

> > @dpb5031 said:

> > > @pgapromex said:

> > > You might try Ocala, moved here from Venice area. Cheap housing, good climate and some nice tracks, Country Club of Ocala, Ocala National. Played Juliette Falls yesterday. I like it here as the golf courses have elevation changes, most of Florida is flat. I dont know about jobs or schools here

> >

> > My aunt and uncle live in Ocala. I'll agree, there are some stunningly beautiful golf courses up there with surprising elevation changes, but the climate is nothing like South East FL. **It's hotter, muggier and more stagnant in the summers**, and considerably colder in the winters. I've explained previously in this thread how the Gulf Stream moderates the temps in Southeast FL and how the ocean breezes keep the bugs at bay. Very different up there in the center of the state.

> >

> > It's also generally has a rural "in the middle of nowhere" type of feel to it, and no beach nearby. All good if that's what you prefer...everyone's different. I like having the beach and waterfront restaurants 10 min from my place, and a short drive to the Kravis Center for arts and entertainment. We went to the Lion King on Sunday and it was awesome!

> unh0w4zvl9zs.jpg

>

>

Practically irrelevant...humidity in and of itself is not the issue and in fact gets a bad rap. The breeze/airflow from the ocean makes all the difference. Much like the Caribbean where the humidity is always on the high side...the tradewinds make it lovely. I've spent considerable time in both places and it ain't even close. I'm glad you like it though! I spent 50 years in NJ, and July & August inland there are worse than here in Jupiter where we almost always have an ocean breeze..

P.S. There's a reason half the PGA Tour and a bunch of other notables with ample resources choose the Jupiter area.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball