PXG 0211 irons - what do you think?

jjfcpa

looks like my 5-gw order won't ship for another month ( up until a few days ago, the tracker showed the actual dates for items picked/in assembly but as of today, all dates are gone).

Regardless, my wedges are due for an upgrade and wanted to get an opinion from this knowledgeable crowd.

my two options are

option #1 buy 54 and 58

option #2 buy 55 and 60

i intend to use my 0211 pw and gw for full shots and the two wedges will primarily for chips and pitches around the green, bunkers and those tricky 20-30yd pitches (usually for my 3rd shot...lol).

question: wait for the 0211's to arrive, play some and then decide which option to buy or just pick one option from above and go for it now.

wondering if waiting for the new set, understanding the distances is the prudent thing to do but on the other hand, if the two new wedges are not going to be used for full shots and only for pitches/chips then distance control and gapping really doesn't matter.

I guess where it would help is understanding the shaft, feel and weight of pw and gw and perhaps buy something similar for sw and lw?

just wondering how folks here have tackled this problem...

with regards to the wedges, I guess as long as I pick the ones that feel right, with the right bounce and grind, it doesn't matter which brand I choose....it's hard to make a bad wedge in 2020...

Thanks for all the help! 

Had my first range session with my 0211s today. Got lucky to get in early on the pxgexpress ebay listings last week. They were listed as "excellent" condition and they certainly were. Either PXG has the best golf club cleaner known to man, or these have never hit a ball.  

Mine have the MMT 80 stiff shafts. Unfortunately, I must say that i really like these irons. Great feel, nice distances, and really great looking. I say unfortunately because my 4 month old set of Maltby STi2 irons / Aldila NV85s has been doing great and I really don't want to switch to the 0211s. Performance and feel, the two sets are close, the 0211s may feel a little better when hit center, but not much.

All things being equal, I keep on with the Maltby set. But the 0211s look 47 times better. Maybe 48. This is going to be a tough call.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gordita said:

looks like my 5-gw order won't ship for another month ( up until a few days ago, the tracker showed the actual dates for items picked/in assembly but as of today, all dates are gone).

Regardless, my wedges are due for an upgrade and wanted to get an opinion from this knowledgeable crowd.

my two options are

option #1 buy 54 and 58

option #2 buy 55 and 60

i intend to use my 0211 pw and gw for full shots and the two wedges will primarily for chips and pitches around the green, bunkers and those tricky 20-30yd pitches (usually for my 3rd shot...lol).

question: wait for the 0211's to arrive, play some and then decide which option to buy or just pick one option from above and go for it now.

wondering if waiting for the new set, understanding the distances is the prudent thing to do but on the other hand, if the two new wedges are not going to be used for full shots and only for pitches/chips then distance control and gapping really doesn't matter.

I guess where it would help is understanding the shaft, feel and weight of pw and gw and perhaps buy something similar for sw and lw?

just wondering how folks here have tackled this problem...

with regards to the wedges, I guess as long as I pick the ones that feel right, with the right bounce and grind, it doesn't matter which brand I choose....it's hard to make a bad wedge in 2020...

Thanks for all the help! 

I think you’re line of thinking is fair. If you wedges are primarily short game tools used around the green, purchase them based off of that. The only thing that would require the 0211’s would be getting a consistent full swing gapping and getting a smooth visual transition from GW to X* wedge. 
I can say that my Cleveland CBX wedges transition very nicely, visually and gap-wise, with the 0211. I carry an RTX4 that is my primary short game/free side tool and it transitions nicely with my CBX’s. 

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

2 hours ago, Sparky14 said:

Had my first range session with my 0211s today. Got lucky to get in early on the pxgexpress ebay listings last week. They were listed as "excellent" condition and they certainly were. Either PXG has the best golf club cleaner known to man, or these have never hit a ball.  

Mine have the MMT 80 stiff shafts. Unfortunately, I must say that i really like these irons. Great feel, nice distances, and really great looking. I say unfortunately because my 4 month old set of Maltby STi2 irons / Aldila NV85s has been doing great and I really don't want to switch to the 0211s. Performance and feel, the two sets are close, the 0211s may feel a little better when hit center, but not much.

All things being equal, I keep on with the Maltby set. But the 0211s look 47 times better. Maybe 48. This is going to be a tough call.

I thought I was the only guy who liked Maltby and PXG 🙂

I have a STi2 demo 6 iron with the Maltby MPF stiff and also picked up a 0211 set used off PXG Express 6-GW with the MMT 80 stiff.  I did not hit them back-to-back, but from 2 different range sessions I'm getting about 3 MPH ball speed more on good strikes with the 0211.  For me the TE Forged (5i) beat the STi2 (6i) and the 0211 beat the TE Forged.

Dave

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 7:13 PM, RawDawg said:

I just got the email today that mine are ready for pickup.  4-GW DG X100.  I’m extremely excited to finally get them in hand.  

Picked them up today from the Scottsdale location.  Range session this weekend.  eBay the other 0211s I picked up on a shaft guesstimate instead of a fitting and away we go.  

• Like 1

Received email notification that my driver, hybrids and 5 - gw package shipped today and I should have it mid week.

Already have a top tracer session scheduled for Thursday and can't wait to take it to the course this week. Need to finish the set by finding suitable 54 and 58 wedges - the weekend can't come soon enough! 

Haven't felt this excited in a while. 

• Like 2

On 10/22/2020 at 6:12 PM, RawDawg said:

Picked them up today from the Scottsdale location.  Range session this weekend.  eBay the other 0211s I picked up on a shaft guesstimate instead of a fitting and away we go.  

What is the other set shafted with?

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

15 minutes ago, gordita said:

Received email notification that my driver, hybrids and 5 - gw package shipped today and I should have it mid week.

Already have a top tracer session scheduled for Thursday and can't wait to take it to the course this week. Need to finish the set by finding suitable 54 and 58 wedges - the weekend can't come soon enough! 

Haven't felt this excited in a while. 

https://www.pxg.com/en-us/clubs/legacy/wedges/0311-forged-wedges

These are my favorite wedges.  I use the 52 and 58 in Elevate Tour Stiff.  Can't beat the price.

On 10/18/2020 at 9:52 PM, Twin2L said:

I have the 0211's back with the Elevate 95 Stiff shafts after trying the MMT 80's. I really liked the feel of the MMT's but gave up too much distance. With the Elevate stiff, distances were much better for me, about what my previous set 

Lost distance due to high launch or high spin (or both)?  Curious about your numbers.

I’ve read people saying the elevate 95s were too high and lost distance.

My MMT 80s are launching about right, everyone swings differently.  I have a lot of shaft lean and tend, if anything, to be a low ball hitter.

1 hour ago, hobbstc said:

https://www.pxg.com/en-us/clubs/legacy/wedges/0311-forged-wedges

These are my favorite wedges.  I use the 52 and 58 in Elevate Tour Stiff.  Can't beat the price.

Me too, as far as favorite wedges.  54* and 58* with Elevate Tour Stiff.  14* and 12* bounce, respectively, which is maybe why I love them so much (or maybe in spite of the high bounce, but doesn't really matter).  PXG went with lower bounce in the current 0311 forged wedges (would be 10* and 9* for my 54 and 58), so I'd be curious to try those as well.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

4 hours ago, rmgatl said:

Lost distance due to high launch or high spin (or both)?  Curious about your numbers.

I’ve read people saying the elevate 95s were too high and lost distance.

My MMT 80s are launching about right, everyone swings differently.  I have a lot of shaft lean and tend, if anything, to be a low ball hitter.

I don't have numbers to offer from a fitting. With my forged 34* 7 iron, I carry it 160. With the 31* 0211, I'm about 150 with the MMT80 and 155-160 with the Elevate 95 stiff.

With the MMT80's, it felt like I had to wait on it to catch up as the hands reached about waist high and really delay the release. As a result, it felt as if I was beginning to flip through impact. I have a late release and have no issues hitting the ball high. At the same time, flighting the ball down with both shafts is pretty simple.

I like the 0211's a lot, but am not sure I'm seeing much if any advantage with control over my old set, which was my primary goal. They feel awesome at contact (truly as good as forged) and turf interaction is great too. I'm still in wait and see mode before they hit the "bay". 

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

Got a set of 0211s from the Pxg_express site as the prices were unbelievable. Got VG condition 4-S with the elevates. When i received them i found them to be about 1/3inch short vs my other sets (37in 7i standard length). Havent checked sw yet. Question: Does pxg have a different way of measuring club length or are these really a bit short? Pxgexpress listings do not specify length or lie numbers, and  I recall reading somewhere that they measured their standard 37in 7i length differently. Or does pxg express really sell their slightly imperfect club builds?

4 hours ago, emartinmills said:

Got a set of 0211s from the Pxg_express site as the prices were unbelievable. Got VG condition 4-S with the elevates. When i received them i found them to be about 1/3inch short vs my other sets (37in 7i standard length). Havent checked sw yet. Question: Does pxg have a different way of measuring club length or are these really a bit short? Pxgexpress listings do not specify length or lie numbers, and  I recall reading somewhere that they measured their standard 37in 7i length differently. Or does pxg express really sell their slightly imperfect club builds?

PXG uses the USGA standard for measuring clubs (length measured at a 60* lie angle). At this point, I feel like most companies do the same. 

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

With the pricing, it was a no brainer to try these out.  Got the MMT shafts in R.  Took them out a few rounds and really wanted them to be better than my 919 Hot Metals. The 0211 have a very nice streamlined look, not unlike the TM 790s.  Pretty forgiving and distances were longer than my Hot Metals.  6 iron in particular was fantastic.  That being said, they felt dead to me.  Hard to describe but felt like you were hitting into a pillow.  Very muted feel.  Some may say that equates to “butter” but to me it equated to “pillow” or “marshmallow”.   Couldn’t get over it.  Shafts did not have much feedback either.  Returned them and used some left over credit along with a coupon at callaway CPO to get some Epic Forged for $1000.00, basically brand new.  I know apples to oranges but night and day feel, and go a mile (jacked up lofts or not).  Aerotech SF feel like I believe the MMT were supposed to feel.  Anyway if I had to do it again I would have gone for the 0311 but when returning the 0211’s I didn’t want to pay another $60 shipping and restocking fee in case I didn’t like those as well.  0211 not a bad alternative to TM 790 at the discounted price but definitely a step below.

Edited by libtech75

emartinmills: I was surprised when I saw they - PXG Express - don’t list the length and lie angle with their eBay listings; I sent them an email asking them to confirm for a particular set and they responded quickly that “they were unable to confirm the Lies and Lengths at this time.”  Great prices, but, as with a lot on eBay, you have to take a leap of faith on the specs.  I assume the eBay store is how they liquidate the returns they receive under their 30-day policy and the clubs are not “irregulars.”

Cane from my local clubmaker, he confirmed that the 0211s were indeed short by 1/2. Sw was c6. Had the shafts extended to the standard 0211 website specs (which seem slightly longer, moi matched maybe?) and they now sw to about c9/d0. A bit of lead tape as needed. Good to go. Just wished these were indicated on the listing, but as it was such a good deal, cant complain. 

On 10/29/2020 at 11:32 AM, emartinmills said:

One of the guys on this forum Sparky14 bought a driver from pxg express eBay store. When he got it the club felt extremely light. Swing weight was really light and there were no heavy weights at all in the head. He contacted pxg and they’re sending out a weight kit. 

might be worth contacting them? 

Like Jeff said, PXGexpress was quick to respond and send me out a heavy weight and wrench.

My guess is that they must have a large cache of used equipment that they sell quickly at a discount, but they don't bother looking at the items other than condition. But if there are any issues, they are quick to respond and work with you. I've picked up 3 drivers and a set of 0211 as well, and I am real happy with it all.

But, after a few range sessions, the 0211s are not beating out my gamers. Mine came in at C9/D0 with the MMT80 shafts, which is what I would expect. But I prefer the D2/D3 range on irons and the 0211 just seem a bit on the light side. Beautiful heads though, and great feel for a cast head.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sparky14 said:

Like Jeff said, PXGexpress was quick to respond and send me out a heavy weight and wrench.

My guess is that they must have a large cache of used equipment that they sell quickly at a discount, but they don't bother looking at the items other than condition. But if there are any issues, they are quick to respond and work with you. I've picked up 3 drivers and a set of 0211 as well, and I am real happy with it all.

But, after a few range sessions, the 0211s are not beating out my gamers. Mine came in at C9/D0 with the MMT80 shafts, which is what I would expect. But I prefer the D2/D3 range on irons and the 0211 just seem a bit on the light side. Beautiful heads though, and great feel for a cast head.

What’s your gamers?

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Loving these more and more. Here are two holes where I played ( One DI/4i and then. The other 5i/6i). When struck well these clubs are money. 6i was two hops and stop to about 12 feet. 4i had some nice roll to it and hit the slope right to 15 feet

B61752BD-0A53-4A0F-B7AE-3540F8087CF3.jpeg

B5D32BF9-2DAD-47EB-96D1-86ED1C2A0C5D.jpeg

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

On 10/31/2020 at 3:36 PM, Sparky14 said:

The 0211 irons I picked up from PXG Express with MMT 80s were always a long shot due to the lighter shafts, but I did at least lead tape them up to give them a fighting chance...  (they were also like C9/D0 stock).  In the end though, as expected, I just can't really go down to those sub-95g lighter shafts.  Didn't work for me, so they went back to PXG.

Looks like the ebay store has wisely started to include shaft length information on their listings.  And lo and behold, a sampling of new iron listings shows a large number with non-standard lengths.  Not listing lie angle is one thing, being easy enough to get adjusted.  But non-standard shaft length introduces a whole other host of potential issues and expense.   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Looks like the ebay store has wisely started to include shaft length information on their listings.  And lo and behold, a sampling of new iron listings shows a large number with non-standard lengths.  Not listing lie angle is one thing, being easy enough to get adjusted.  But non-standard shaft length introduces a whole other host of potential issues and expense.   

Good find. I am on the hunt for some 0211’s.... again. Last time I had them the PGA SS and Vans golf would not bend them for me. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick