2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

PXG 0211 irons - what do you think?

jjfcpa

Pulled the trigger today.   Had a phone fitting and ordered the 0211 5-Gap wedge, 1 degree upright, with the Elevate 95g shaft.  And you get another $5 off each club with the phone fitting making them $84 each.   Also got the Proto X+ with the EvenFlow Riptide CB 50g shaft.  Estimated to begin building 12/20.  With tax and delivery came out just above $1K.  

• Like 3

On 12/4/2020 at 7:53 PM, ucmike11 said:

In a moment of weakness, I snagged a set of 6-GW 0211's Elevate Tour stiff from pxg_express in very good condition......for $384...I couldn't say no! 

I've been gaming Srixon 745's for the last 4 seasons, I'm hoping the 0211's give me just a little better performance on a few of my mishits.  

If anyone has a lead on a well priced 0211 5 iron, please let me know! Thanks

The pxg website they are selling them on sale now and you can buy individual irons. 

4 hours ago, BogeyParBogey said:

One of the big advantage of the ebay site is the shipping cost reduction.    You can order from PXG's web site too, but one club shipping is $30, two clubs is $60.

Dave

Yes, they are QUITE proud of their shipping for a single iron.  Which is quite a contrast to the reduction in club prices they have instituted.

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

35 minutes ago, lvphil702 said:

How long does the build process take?  I ask this because I placed the order for a set of 211's and a Proto+ driver on Tuesday afternoon 12/15, it went into assembly on Saturday 12/19 and is at final inspection here on Sunday 12/20.   About right?

that seems a bit quicker turn than mine (albeit a few months back).

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

Snell - MTB  Black

1 hour ago, lvphil702 said:

How long does the build process take?  I ask this because I placed the order for a set of 211's and a Proto+ driver on Tuesday afternoon 12/15, it went into assembly on Saturday 12/19 and is at final inspection here on Sunday 12/20.   About right?

Don’t rely on their website to follow your build. My two wedges showed in Final Inspection for 3 weeks. I called and they said they were ready weeks prior. I was pissed. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Does anyone notice a larger than expect distance loss on these in the cold? I wonder if the Cor2 material looses its elasticity when it gets below 50. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

12 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Does anyone notice a larger than expect distance loss on these in the cold? I wonder if the Cor2 material looses its elasticity when it gets below 50. 

That's interesting. I did notice a bit,, I chalked it up to the ball being cold and me being in layers and not swinging as quick.

9 hours ago, lvphil702 said:

I'm answering myself here!  9 hours later from when I posted this and the entire order has now shipped. Tracking number in hand.  Will be here Christmas Eve.  Is this some kind of record turn around?  🙂

• Like 2

On 12/20/2020 at 4:54 PM, lvphil702 said:

I'm answering myself here!  9 hours later from when I posted this and the entire order has now shipped. Tracking number in hand.  Will be here Christmas Eve.  Is this some kind of record turn around?  🙂

One day early.  Delivered 12/23. Under the tree now. 8 days from order to delivery. 

Edited by lvphil702
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, lvphil702 said:

One day early.  Delivered 12/23. Under the tree now. 8 days from order to delivery. 

That's an incredible turn around time. 

Merry Christmas!

• Like 2

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

I’ve ordered twice from their site. Even with customs lies etc turn around time delivered was about 14 days to Ohio. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

17 hours ago, erock9174 said:

I’ve ordered twice from their site. Even with customs lies etc turn around time delivered was about 14 days to Ohio. 

OK, I gotta ask, for whom are you ordering custom lie angles?  Since I don't see any PXG listed in your WITB signature area.

Snell - MTB  Black

10 minutes ago, 5baytjd said:

OK, I gotta ask, for whom are you ordering custom lie angles?  Since I don't see any PXG listed in your WITB signature area.

Myself. I owned both the 0211s and Gen 2 0311 SGI irons at 2* upright. 

The 0211s I thought were a little too much iron for my game so I sold them.  The SGI’s I bought in September and returned them on their 30 day playability program.  Great irons but didn’t care for the set GW and SW.   Kinda have returners remorse.  

Thinking about buying a combo set of SGIs and XF’s now. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

12 minutes ago, erock9174 said:

Myself. I owned both the 0211s and Gen 2 0311 SGI irons at 2* upright. 

The 0211s I thought were a little too much iron for my game so I sold them.  The SGI’s I bought in September and returned them on their 30 day playability program.  Great irons but didn’t care for the set GW and SW.   Kinda have returners remorse.  

Thinking about buying a combo set of SGIs and XF’s now. 

I had CBX wedges in 50, 54 and 58 (steel shafts) which I recently upgraded to CBX2 with Rotex shafts.  I found those transition really nicely at the bottom of my bag from the MMT 80 S in my 0211's (5-PW).

• Like 2

Snell - MTB  Black

2 hours ago, 5baytjd said:

I had CBX wedges in 50, 54 and 58 (steel shafts) which I recently upgraded to CBX2 with Rotex shafts.  I found those transition really nicely at the bottom of my bag from the MMT 80 S in my 0211's (5-PW).

This. This. This. 
CBX head blends beautifully with the 0211 and the Rotex graphite is a very suitable match to the MMT 80 Stiff. the only difference is that I have an RTX4 in the lob which creates a really seamless transition between 0211 PW>CBX gap and sand>RTX4 lob. 

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 4:25 PM, jeffrey r said:

Season winding down here in NJ, but I am back in the 0211 fold.  Started out the season back in March with a new set of 0211 with Elevate 95 shafts.  Loved the 0211s.  Didn't love the Elevate 95s.  For some context, I am generally a Modus 105, KBS Tour 105, TT 105 sort of guy (and fit as such), so the Elevate 95 were a bit of a stretch.

Ended up getting rid of that set.  Then tried a set with MMT 80 off of the ebay store.  Yes, went the wrong direction on shaft weight, but always curious what might work.  Well, those did not work, no surprise.  So, sent those back to PXG.

Then, recently ordered a new set with Elevate Tour stiff, soft-stepped once.  This new set has some potential.  Weather is getting chilly here, but I've been able to get them out for a couple of rounds.  Though the shafts are slightly heavier than I prefer, these shafts have brought the 0211 heads to life for me.  Played some very nice golf with these, and they will certainly be in the running for next year's bag.  I like these enough that I just ordered the 5 iron separately after leaving it out of the initial order.  YMMV. 

Jeffrey - I bought exactly what you did - 0211 with Elevate Tour stiff, soft-stepped.  I have a separate post where I have posted that I've lost almost a club of distance vs. my prior set - Apex/Apex Pro with C-Taper Lites.  Have you had a chance to hit yours vs. your prior gamer and have you lost distance?

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond/Mitsubishi Pro White Tensei 1k

Callaway Epic Speed 3w

Honma TR21 5w
Callaway Rogue JDM 21 & 24 hybrids

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-AW

Callaway MD5 52/Full-Toe 58

Odyssey O-works #7s

12 minutes ago, hanfrac said:

Jeffrey - I bought exactly what you did - 0211 with Elevate Tour stiff, soft-stepped.  I have a separate post where I have posted that I've lost almost a club of distance vs. my prior set - Apex/Apex Pro with C-Taper Lites.  Have you had a chance to hit yours vs. your prior gamer and have you lost distance?

I am in winter golf season here in NJ, so if I can get out (which I have been able to), the conditions aren't great.  And I also like taking out different sets this time of year.  That said, I did take out the 0211 with Elevate Tour a couple of times, and I am unsure at the moment. 

Because of PXG's very limited no-upcharge shaft  options, I went with the Elevate Tour even though they are heavier than my typical 100-110g shafts.  As a lefty, I have been pushing iron shots to the left with this new combo more than I would want,  and I suspect the heavier shafts are an issue.  At least in the longer irons.  As far as distance, it has been hard to judge due to the colder weather, wet conditions, etc.  However, with certain shots, these Elevates do elevate.  They'll certainly be higher launching and higher spin than comparable shafts.

Will these end up bumping my regular irons--I doubt it.  But unless I unload them earlier, I will try to give them a run once the weather warms up.  YMMV.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Must be the wrong shafts for you. I have 0211’s with MMT & do not see any distance loss vs my 0311’s with Steelfibers. I do get a higher ball flight like you’ve seen but more carry/less roll gives me same net yardage. My SF’s flight low.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

I don't think 17 to 19 degree hybrids for your average guy will have that much difference.   The 17 will probably come in hotter and run more.  If you're a faster swing speed guy then maybe those two would have more of a difference.

I'd estimate 17 and 22 would gap ok if for the average guy.

Dave

5 hours ago, lvphil702 said:

I have the 5-G 0211's and now want to replace my hybrids with either the Gen 2 or new 0211 hybrids.  Do you think going with a 17 and a 22 would gap well?  I primarily use my hybrids as fairway replacements. 

I have the 5-G as well.  I bought the 22 hybrid for straight, controlled shots.  Goes pretty high and lands softly.  I recently bought a 17 (which I haven't used yet).  I'm going to set the weights for a draw to use off the tee and fairway on par 5s and try to get some run once it hits the ground.  I don't like using fairways off the ground.

6 hours ago, lvphil702 said:

I have the 5-G 0211's and now want to replace my hybrids with either the Gen 2 or new 0211 hybrids.  Do you think going with a 17 and a 22 would gap well?  I primarily use my hybrids as fairway replacements. 

I have the 19 and it's versatile. You can go down to 17.5 or up to 20.5 to dial it in. It also goes up to 3* flatter which is awesome. Many hybrids are hook machines. Then you can play with the weights if you want more MOI is more penetrating flight with roll.

Personally I think most rec players have too many fairways and hybrids. I carry a 16.5* 4w and a hybrid set at 20.5*, then my longest iron is 23*. I don't see many people hitting exact numbers from 200 to 240 yards out. At those distances you are trying to hit the ball as straight as possible either on the green or near the green in the smartest spot; you aren't firing at the pin, at least I'm not and nobody I play with does. 

• Like 2

On 12/20/2020 at 7:01 PM, Rbsiedsc said:

To be honest, I’m a little concerned with the distance in general with the 0211’s.

i even had my lofts strengthened 1* in the 5 & 6 and 2* in the 7-GW in order to come as close as possible to the irons I was playing prior. (Rogue X which are very strong lofts). They now exactly match the T300s and the G410 with the power specs.

i expected about a 1/2 club less with the PXGs compared to the X, however it’s still about a full club short even with the new lofts. For example my gapW with the X is my 100 yd club, I’m getting 90 with the 0211.

It’s been cold and wet down here, so maybe there is something to that insert goo theory, it was in the low 50s each time I played them.

Honestly, I’m a little ticked off they didn’t tell me they would be releasing the new version 6 weeks after I placed my order. Those are identical in length and lofts to my old Rogue X irons. I’d have gladly waited and paid the extra $25 per club for those.

Edited by john myrbch
  • Sad 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

28 minutes ago, john myrbch said:

Honestly, I’m a little ticked off they didn’t tell me they would be releasing the new version 6 weeks after I placed my order.

You're not going to find many (any?) businesses that are going to tell you about the new product before the official announcement date of that new product.  That's just not prudent to shut off your sales stream prematurely.

Perhaps you should wait until later in the new product release cycle to make your decisions, if you want to prevent this from happening to you.

Snell - MTB  Black

12 hours ago, john myrbch said:

I’d have gladly waited and paid the extra $25 per club for those.

Sell the old ones and buy the new ones. Problem solved.

• Like 1

Rogue ST MAX 10.5 Kbs TD 50

Ping 425 fwy 17* Alta 

Ping 425 hyb 22* Alta

Srixon ZX5/7 KBS Tour 110

Vega vw-06 52 58

SC X6