2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2019 Northern Trust @ Liberty National, NJ

flushem

> @golfnoob25 said:

> They rescinded the penalty

i thought they may do that after reading the rule ... faldo was saying there has to be something about intent, so he didn't know the rule that well ... seems to me the pga guy on the spot didn't know it too well since he immediately told rory it's probably a penalty ...

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @bscinstnct said:

> > Nice leaderboard. Watched none of this so far but should be good viewing on the weekend. I should go there but....

> >

> > I got a new bicycle!

> >

> > Never thought I’d be db cycle guy but it’s pretty dope.

>

> looks very nice

>

> ![](https://live.staticflickr.com/5307/5641503654_a7bd00bf63_b.jpg "")

>

Does that belong to @gatorMD? :) I wonder if he'll ever come back?

• Like 1

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @bscinstnct said:

> > Nice leaderboard. Watched none of this so far but should be good viewing on the weekend. I should go there but....

> >

> > I got a new bicycle!

> >

> > Never thought I’d be db cycle guy but it’s pretty dope.

>

> looks very nice

>

> ![](https://live.staticflickr.com/5307/5641503654_a7bd00bf63_b.jpg "")

>

Yeah, the paint guy did a nice job. Got my black and red db cycle guy outfit. You in Central Park and hear a guy yell,

“Tigerrrrrr!”

And fist pumps while he leaves you in the dust, that me ; )

> @tiderider said:

> > @golfnoob25 said:

> > They rescinded the penalty

>

> i thought they may do that after reading the rule ... faldo was saying there has to be something about intent, so he didn't know the rule that well ... seems to me the pga guy on the spot didn't know it too well since he immediately told rory it's probably a penalty ...

Oh now you're changing your tune :D earlier when I posted the rule you didn't want to believe me.

I'm glad they fixed the error...

DJ in a runaway

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

> @straightshot7 said:

> Rory got a 2 stroke penalty for that? Harsh.

> What if you have your caddie move the stones? Same rules apply?

its the rule. If theres doubt you dont touch it.I dont agree with it being 2 shots nor do i agree with it being rescinded after the round. Faldo was wrong about there not being any advantage gained. He admitted to removing a tuft of sand directly behind the ball he thought was a pebble.By definition it improved his lie. I take him at his word that he thought it was a pebble but thems the breaks. Should be 1 shot and try to recreate the lie to make it fair to his competitors/field.

> @lowheel said:

> > @straightshot7 said:

> > Rory got a 2 stroke penalty for that? Harsh.

> > What if you have your caddie move the stones? Same rules apply?

>

> its the rule. If theres doubt you dont touch it.I dont agree with it being 2 shots nor do i agree with it being rescinded after the round. Faldo was wrong about there not being any advantage gained. He admitted to removing a tuft of sand directly behind the ball he thought was a pebble.By definition it improved his lie. I take him at his word that he thought it was a pebble but thems the breaks. Should be 1 shot and try to recreate the lie to make it fair to his competitors/field.

No he didn't admit to removing anything. He said he touched it and then let go when he realized it wasn't a rock.

He even pointed it out to the official as if it was still there.

• Like 1

> @straightshot7 said:

> > @lowheel said:

> > > @straightshot7 said:

> > > Rory got a 2 stroke penalty for that? Harsh.

> > > What if you have your caddie move the stones? Same rules apply?

> >

> > its the rule. If theres doubt you dont touch it.I dont agree with it being 2 shots nor do i agree with it being rescinded after the round. Faldo was wrong about there not being any advantage gained. He admitted to removing a tuft of sand directly behind the ball he thought was a pebble.By definition it improved his lie. I take him at his word that he thought it was a pebble but thems the breaks. Should be 1 shot and try to recreate the lie to make it fair to his competitors/field.

>

> No he didn't admit to removing anything. He said he touched it and then let go when he realized it wasn't a rock.

>

> He even pointed it out to the official as if it was still there.

He did though, it disintegrated in his finger hence not there anymore.He was making the best case for himself not being penalized which i understand...

Go rub your finger behind your ball in a bunker and remove/brush a little sand.it improves your lie. its not debatable. they rescinded because of "intent"

> @lowheel said:

> > @straightshot7 said:

> > > @lowheel said:

> > > > @straightshot7 said:

> > > > Rory got a 2 stroke penalty for that? Harsh.

> > > > What if you have your caddie move the stones? Same rules apply?

> > >

> > > its the rule. If theres doubt you dont touch it.I dont agree with it being 2 shots nor do i agree with it being rescinded after the round. Faldo was wrong about there not being any advantage gained. He admitted to removing a tuft of sand directly behind the ball he thought was a pebble.By definition it improved his lie. I take him at his word that he thought it was a pebble but thems the breaks. Should be 1 shot and try to recreate the lie to make it fair to his competitors/field.

> >

> > No he didn't admit to removing anything. He said he touched it and then let go when he realized it wasn't a rock.

> >

> > He even pointed it out to the official as if it was still there.

>

> He did though, it disintegrated in his finger hence not there anymore.He was making the best case for himself not being penalized which i understand...

> Go rub your finger behind your ball in a bunker and remove/brush a little sand.it improves your lie. its not debatable. they rescinded because of "intent"

I don't want to get into a long argument with you so we can just disagree. Was there proof that the sand disintegrated? Rory made it sound like he left the object behind. If you have proof otherwise feel free to post it.

> @tiderider said:

> > @golfnoob25 said:

> > They rescinded the penalty

>

> i thought they may do that after reading the rule ... faldo was saying there has to be something about intent, so he didn't know the rule that well ... seems to me the pga guy on the spot didn't know it too well since he immediately told rory it's probably a penalty ...

If there's a) no intent and b) no change in playing condition, then I don't see the need for penalty

• Like 1

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

> @straightshot7 said:

> > @lowheel said:

> > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > @straightshot7 said:

> > > > > Rory got a 2 stroke penalty for that? Harsh.

> > > > > What if you have your caddie move the stones? Same rules apply?

> > > >

> > > > its the rule. If theres doubt you dont touch it.I dont agree with it being 2 shots nor do i agree with it being rescinded after the round. Faldo was wrong about there not being any advantage gained. He admitted to removing a tuft of sand directly behind the ball he thought was a pebble.By definition it improved his lie. I take him at his word that he thought it was a pebble but thems the breaks. Should be 1 shot and try to recreate the lie to make it fair to his competitors/field.

> > >

> > > No he didn't admit to removing anything. He said he touched it and then let go when he realized it wasn't a rock.

> > >

> > > He even pointed it out to the official as if it was still there.

> >

> > He did though, it disintegrated in his finger hence not there anymore.He was making the best case for himself not being penalized which i understand...

> > Go rub your finger behind your ball in a bunker and remove/brush a little sand.it improves your lie. its not debatable. they rescinded because of "intent"

>

> I don't want to get into a long argument with you so we can just disagree. Was there proof that the sand disintegrated? Rory made it sound like he left the object behind. If you have proof otherwise feel free to post it.

no long argument needed, the "proof" you seek is on video. he said he went to lift what he thought was a pebble and his fingers pinched sand instead because there was no pebble there.he did the right thing by telling the rules official and fair or unfair the penalty was applied. What part are you not seeing or agreeing with. he touched the sand, its not debatable he said so himself.Once thats done its a penalty.He was honest at least so kudos for that

> @lowheel said:

> > @straightshot7 said:

> > > @lowheel said:

> > > > Rory got a 2 stroke penalty for that? Harsh.

> > > > What if you have your caddie move the stones? Same rules apply?

> > >

> > > its the rule. If theres doubt you dont touch it.I dont agree with it being 2 shots nor do i agree with it being rescinded after the round. Faldo was wrong about there not being any advantage gained. He admitted to removing a tuft of sand directly behind the ball he thought was a pebble.By definition it improved his lie. I take him at his word that he thought it was a pebble but thems the breaks. Should be 1 shot and try to recreate the lie to make it fair to his competitors/field.

> >

> > No he didn't admit to removing anything. He said he touched it and then let go when he realized it wasn't a rock.

> >

> > He even pointed it out to the official as if it was still there.

>

> He did though, it disintegrated in his finger hence not there anymore.He was making the best case for himself not being penalized which i understand...

> Go rub your finger behind your ball in a bunker and remove/brush a little sand.it improves your lie. its not debatable. they rescinded because of "intent"

It didn't improve the lie, and it's not against the rules - obviously the PGA doesn't think it's against the rules either after they rescinded it.

• Like 1

> @lowheel said:

> > @straightshot7 said:

> > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > > @straightshot7 said:

> > > > > > Rory got a 2 stroke penalty for that? Harsh.

> > > > > > What if you have your caddie move the stones? Same rules apply?

> > > > >

> > > > > its the rule. If theres doubt you dont touch it.I dont agree with it being 2 shots nor do i agree with it being rescinded after the round. Faldo was wrong about there not being any advantage gained. He admitted to removing a tuft of sand directly behind the ball he thought was a pebble.By definition it improved his lie. I take him at his word that he thought it was a pebble but thems the breaks. Should be 1 shot and try to recreate the lie to make it fair to his competitors/field.

> > > >

> > > > No he didn't admit to removing anything. He said he touched it and then let go when he realized it wasn't a rock.

> > > >

> > > > He even pointed it out to the official as if it was still there.

> > >

> > > He did though, it disintegrated in his finger hence not there anymore.He was making the best case for himself not being penalized which i understand...

> > > Go rub your finger behind your ball in a bunker and remove/brush a little sand.it improves your lie. its not debatable. they rescinded because of "intent"

> >

> > I don't want to get into a long argument with you so we can just disagree. Was there proof that the sand disintegrated? Rory made it sound like he left the object behind. If you have proof otherwise feel free to post it.

>

> no long argument needed, the "proof" you seek is on video. he said he went to lift what he thought was a pebble and his fingers pinched sand instead because there was no pebble there.he did the right thing by telling the rules official and fair or unfair the penalty was applied. What part are you not seeing or agreeing with. he touched the sand, its not debatable he said so himself.Once thats done its a penalty.He was honest at least so kudos for that

You must not understand the rule because touching the sand with your hand is not a penalty unless you improve your lie or you are trying to test conditions: https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/moving-or-touching-loose-impediments-or-sand-in-a-bunker.html

"So they got the USGA involved, rang them, they sort of went back and forth a little bit and it came down to that. In a way, it came down to me and they said 'OK, are you comfortable telling us you didn't improve your lie?' For me, I am comfortable saying that."

The PGA Tour's VP of rules and competition Slugger White added this after Rory's round: "He said he was 100 percent sure that nothing happened to improve," he told the media. "[Touching the sand] didn't improve his line of play or his intended swing."

Rory does not feel his lie was improved. Please post this supposed video of the sand disintegrating. It seems like you're just making that up. I was watching the telecast and never saw that.

> @straightshot7 said:

> > @lowheel said:

> > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > > > @straightshot7 said:

> > > > > > > Rory got a 2 stroke penalty for that? Harsh.

> > > > > > > What if you have your caddie move the stones? Same rules apply?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > its the rule. If theres doubt you dont touch it.I dont agree with it being 2 shots nor do i agree with it being rescinded after the round. Faldo was wrong about there not being any advantage gained. He admitted to removing a tuft of sand directly behind the ball he thought was a pebble.By definition it improved his lie. I take him at his word that he thought it was a pebble but thems the breaks. Should be 1 shot and try to recreate the lie to make it fair to his competitors/field.

> > > > >

> > > > > No he didn't admit to removing anything. He said he touched it and then let go when he realized it wasn't a rock.

> > > > >

> > > > > He even pointed it out to the official as if it was still there.

> > > >

> > > > He did though, it disintegrated in his finger hence not there anymore.He was making the best case for himself not being penalized which i understand...

> > > > Go rub your finger behind your ball in a bunker and remove/brush a little sand.it improves your lie. its not debatable. they rescinded because of "intent"

> > >

> > > I don't want to get into a long argument with you so we can just disagree. Was there proof that the sand disintegrated? Rory made it sound like he left the object behind. If you have proof otherwise feel free to post it.

> >

> > no long argument needed, the "proof" you seek is on video. he said he went to lift what he thought was a pebble and his fingers pinched sand instead because there was no pebble there.he did the right thing by telling the rules official and fair or unfair the penalty was applied. What part are you not seeing or agreeing with. he touched the sand, its not debatable he said so himself.Once thats done its a penalty.He was honest at least so kudos for that

>

> You must not understand the rule because touching the sand with your hand is not a penalty unless you improve your lie or you are trying to test conditions: https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/moving-or-touching-loose-impediments-or-sand-in-a-bunker.html

>

> "So they got the USGA involved, rang them, they sort of went back and forth a little bit and it came down to that. In a way, it came down to me and they said 'OK, are you comfortable telling us you didn't improve your lie?' For me, I am comfortable saying that."

>

> The PGA Tour's VP of rules and competition Slugger White added this after Rory's round: "He said he was 100 percent sure that nothing happened to improve," he told the media. "[Touching the sand] didn't improve his line of play or his intended swing."

>

> Rory does not feel his lie was improved. Please post this supposed video of the sand disintegrating. It seems like you're just making that up. I was watching the telecast and never saw that.

My god your last 2 sentences shows me your petulance. The rule is clear and by definition his lie was altered and improved by default. You dont agree? no worries but the rule is clear as day.i think you dont understand it.If he didnt think he would gain an advantage by removing the "pebble" which turned out to be sand he wouldnt have attempted to remove it. When he did, he altered and improved the lie.He doesnt "believe" he did so they give the player the benefit of the doubt because its his word against theirs like it always is. Im not calling Rory a cheater because he reported what happened right away and should have accepted the penalty. Slugger White approved the penalty on the radio, you can hear him say 2 strokes on the telecast. Rory lobbied him after the round and used his clout to his advantage. Doesnt make it right though.

> @lowheel said:

> > @straightshot7 said:

> > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > > > > @straightshot7 said:

> > > > > > > > Rory got a 2 stroke penalty for that? Harsh.

> > > > > > > > What if you have your caddie move the stones? Same rules apply?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > its the rule. If theres doubt you dont touch it.I dont agree with it being 2 shots nor do i agree with it being rescinded after the round. Faldo was wrong about there not being any advantage gained. He admitted to removing a tuft of sand directly behind the ball he thought was a pebble.By definition it improved his lie. I take him at his word that he thought it was a pebble but thems the breaks. Should be 1 shot and try to recreate the lie to make it fair to his competitors/field.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > No he didn't admit to removing anything. He said he touched it and then let go when he realized it wasn't a rock.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > He even pointed it out to the official as if it was still there.

> > > > >

> > > > > He did though, it disintegrated in his finger hence not there anymore.He was making the best case for himself not being penalized which i understand...

> > > > > Go rub your finger behind your ball in a bunker and remove/brush a little sand.it improves your lie. its not debatable. they rescinded because of "intent"

> > > >

> > > > I don't want to get into a long argument with you so we can just disagree. Was there proof that the sand disintegrated? Rory made it sound like he left the object behind. If you have proof otherwise feel free to post it.

> > >

> > > no long argument needed, the "proof" you seek is on video. he said he went to lift what he thought was a pebble and his fingers pinched sand instead because there was no pebble there.he did the right thing by telling the rules official and fair or unfair the penalty was applied. What part are you not seeing or agreeing with. he touched the sand, its not debatable he said so himself.Once thats done its a penalty.He was honest at least so kudos for that

> >

> > You must not understand the rule because touching the sand with your hand is not a penalty unless you improve your lie or you are trying to test conditions: https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/moving-or-touching-loose-impediments-or-sand-in-a-bunker.html

> >

> > "So they got the USGA involved, rang them, they sort of went back and forth a little bit and it came down to that. In a way, it came down to me and they said 'OK, are you comfortable telling us you didn't improve your lie?' For me, I am comfortable saying that."

> >

> > The PGA Tour's VP of rules and competition Slugger White added this after Rory's round: "He said he was 100 percent sure that nothing happened to improve," he told the media. "[Touching the sand] didn't improve his line of play or his intended swing."

> >

> > Rory does not feel his lie was improved. Please post this supposed video of the sand disintegrating. It seems like you're just making that up. I was watching the telecast and never saw that.

>

> My god your last 2 sentences shows me your petulance. The rule is clear and by definition his lie was altered and improved by default. You dont agree? no worries but the rule is clear as day.i think you dont understand it.If he didnt think he would gain an advantage by removing the "pebble" which turned out to be sand he wouldnt have attempted to remove it. When he did, he altered and improved the lie.He doesnt "believe" he did so they give the player the benefit of the doubt because its his word against theirs like it always is. Im not calling Rory a cheater because he reported what happened right away and should have accepted the penalty. Slugger White approved the penalty on the radio, you can hear him say 2 strokes on the telecast. Rory lobbied him after the round and used his clout to his advantage. Doesnt make it right though.

Disagree on all accounts. The way the rule was written, Rory did nothing to improve his lie.

• Like 2

> @lowheel said:

> > @straightshot7 said:

> > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > > > > Rory got a 2 stroke penalty for that? Harsh.

> > > > > > > > What if you have your caddie move the stones? Same rules apply?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > its the rule. If theres doubt you dont touch it.I dont agree with it being 2 shots nor do i agree with it being rescinded after the round. Faldo was wrong about there not being any advantage gained. He admitted to removing a tuft of sand directly behind the ball he thought was a pebble.By definition it improved his lie. I take him at his word that he thought it was a pebble but thems the breaks. Should be 1 shot and try to recreate the lie to make it fair to his competitors/field.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > No he didn't admit to removing anything. He said he touched it and then let go when he realized it wasn't a rock.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > He even pointed it out to the official as if it was still there.

> > > > >

> > > > > He did though, it disintegrated in his finger hence not there anymore.He was making the best case for himself not being penalized which i understand...

> > > > > Go rub your finger behind your ball in a bunker and remove/brush a little sand.it improves your lie. its not debatable. they rescinded because of "intent"

> > > >

> > > > I don't want to get into a long argument with you so we can just disagree. Was there proof that the sand disintegrated? Rory made it sound like he left the object behind. If you have proof otherwise feel free to post it.

> > >

> > > no long argument needed, the "proof" you seek is on video. he said he went to lift what he thought was a pebble and his fingers pinched sand instead because there was no pebble there.he did the right thing by telling the rules official and fair or unfair the penalty was applied. What part are you not seeing or agreeing with. he touched the sand, its not debatable he said so himself.Once thats done its a penalty.He was honest at least so kudos for that

> >

> > You must not understand the rule because touching the sand with your hand is not a penalty unless you improve your lie or you are trying to test conditions: https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/moving-or-touching-loose-impediments-or-sand-in-a-bunker.html

> >

> > "So they got the USGA involved, rang them, they sort of went back and forth a little bit and it came down to that. In a way, it came down to me and they said 'OK, are you comfortable telling us you didn't improve your lie?' For me, I am comfortable saying that."

> >

> > The PGA Tour's VP of rules and competition Slugger White added this after Rory's round: "He said he was 100 percent sure that nothing happened to improve," he told the media. "[Touching the sand] didn't improve his line of play or his intended swing."

> >

> > Rory does not feel his lie was improved. Please post this supposed video of the sand disintegrating. It seems like you're just making that up. I was watching the telecast and never saw that.

>

> My god your last 2 sentences shows me your petulance. The rule is clear and by definition his lie was altered and improved by default. You dont agree? no worries but the rule is clear as day.i think you dont understand it.If he didnt think he would gain an advantage by removing the "pebble" which turned out to be sand he wouldnt have attempted to remove it. When he did, he altered and improved the lie.He doesnt "believe" he did so they give the player the benefit of the doubt because its his word against theirs like it always is. Im not calling Rory a cheater because he reported what happened right away and should have accepted the penalty. Slugger White approved the penalty on the radio, you can hear him say 2 strokes on the telecast. Rory lobbied him after the round and used his clout to his advantage. Doesnt make it right though.

Multiple posters have already pointed out that according to Rory he never removed anything. He said he touched it and left it there.

You keep saying he removed something. Again, you're making stuff up.

> @kthomas said:

> > @lowheel said:

> > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > Rory got a 2 stroke penalty for that? Harsh.

> > > > > What if you have your caddie move the stones? Same rules apply?

> > > >

> > > > its the rule. If theres doubt you dont touch it.I dont agree with it being 2 shots nor do i agree with it being rescinded after the round. Faldo was wrong about there not being any advantage gained. He admitted to removing a tuft of sand directly behind the ball he thought was a pebble.By definition it improved his lie. I take him at his word that he thought it was a pebble but thems the breaks. Should be 1 shot and try to recreate the lie to make it fair to his competitors/field.

> > >

> > > No he didn't admit to removing anything. He said he touched it and then let go when he realized it wasn't a rock.

> > >

> > > He even pointed it out to the official as if it was still there.

> >

> > He did though, it disintegrated in his finger hence not there anymore.He was making the best case for himself not being penalized which i understand...

> > Go rub your finger behind your ball in a bunker and remove/brush a little sand.it improves your lie. its not debatable. they rescinded because of "intent"

>

> It didn't improve the lie, and it's not against the rules - obviously the PGA doesn't think it's against the rules either after they rescinded it.

A ruling was changed after the round due to a star player lobbying!! color me shocked. If it didnt improve hislie why bother attempting to remove the non existing pebble.Some critical thinking is needed.

A "pebble" sticks out of the sand so by definition he cant make as clear contact with the ball so he bends over touches that spot which turns out to be sand so that obviously gets flattened allowing more of the ball to show aka improving the lie. i think the 2 shot penalty is too harsh in this scenario however the penalty was warranted and Rory did the right thing by reporting it to the official. Were allowed to disagree with the rules and officials.Im doing both at the same time

> @straightshot7 said:

> > @lowheel said:

> > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > > > > > @straightshot7 said:

> > > > > > > > > Rory got a 2 stroke penalty for that? Harsh.

> > > > > > > > > What if you have your caddie move the stones? Same rules apply?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > its the rule. If theres doubt you dont touch it.I dont agree with it being 2 shots nor do i agree with it being rescinded after the round. Faldo was wrong about there not being any advantage gained. He admitted to removing a tuft of sand directly behind the ball he thought was a pebble.By definition it improved his lie. I take him at his word that he thought it was a pebble but thems the breaks. Should be 1 shot and try to recreate the lie to make it fair to his competitors/field.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > No he didn't admit to removing anything. He said he touched it and then let go when he realized it wasn't a rock.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > He even pointed it out to the official as if it was still there.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > He did though, it disintegrated in his finger hence not there anymore.He was making the best case for himself not being penalized which i understand...

> > > > > > Go rub your finger behind your ball in a bunker and remove/brush a little sand.it improves your lie. its not debatable. they rescinded because of "intent"

> > > > >

> > > > > I don't want to get into a long argument with you so we can just disagree. Was there proof that the sand disintegrated? Rory made it sound like he left the object behind. If you have proof otherwise feel free to post it.

> > > >

> > > > no long argument needed, the "proof" you seek is on video. he said he went to lift what he thought was a pebble and his fingers pinched sand instead because there was no pebble there.he did the right thing by telling the rules official and fair or unfair the penalty was applied. What part are you not seeing or agreeing with. he touched the sand, its not debatable he said so himself.Once thats done its a penalty.He was honest at least so kudos for that

> > >

> > > You must not understand the rule because touching the sand with your hand is not a penalty unless you improve your lie or you are trying to test conditions: https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/moving-or-touching-loose-impediments-or-sand-in-a-bunker.html

> > >

> > > "So they got the USGA involved, rang them, they sort of went back and forth a little bit and it came down to that. In a way, it came down to me and they said 'OK, are you comfortable telling us you didn't improve your lie?' For me, I am comfortable saying that."

> > >

> > > The PGA Tour's VP of rules and competition Slugger White added this after Rory's round: "He said he was 100 percent sure that nothing happened to improve," he told the media. "[Touching the sand] didn't improve his line of play or his intended swing."

> > >

> > > Rory does not feel his lie was improved. Please post this supposed video of the sand disintegrating. It seems like you're just making that up. I was watching the telecast and never saw that.

> >

> > My god your last 2 sentences shows me your petulance. The rule is clear and by definition his lie was altered and improved by default. You dont agree? no worries but the rule is clear as day.i think you dont understand it.If he didnt think he would gain an advantage by removing the "pebble" which turned out to be sand he wouldnt have attempted to remove it. When he did, he altered and improved the lie.He doesnt "believe" he did so they give the player the benefit of the doubt because its his word against theirs like it always is. Im not calling Rory a cheater because he reported what happened right away and should have accepted the penalty. Slugger White approved the penalty on the radio, you can hear him say 2 strokes on the telecast. Rory lobbied him after the round and used his clout to his advantage. Doesnt make it right though.

>

> Multiple posters have already pointed out that according to Rory he never removed anything. He said he touched it and left it there.

>

> You keep saying he removed something. Again, you're making stuff up.

how do you touch sand and it doesnt move? I mean literally at all.Im not making anything up he told the official on live TV he touched it and realized it wasnt a pebble. you can do better than that

> @Krt22 said:

>

> > @lowheel said:

> > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > > > > > Rory got a 2 stroke penalty for that? Harsh.

> > > > > > > > > What if you have your caddie move the stones? Same rules apply?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > its the rule. If theres doubt you dont touch it.I dont agree with it being 2 shots nor do i agree with it being rescinded after the round. Faldo was wrong about there not being any advantage gained. He admitted to removing a tuft of sand directly behind the ball he thought was a pebble.By definition it improved his lie. I take him at his word that he thought it was a pebble but thems the breaks. Should be 1 shot and try to recreate the lie to make it fair to his competitors/field.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > No he didn't admit to removing anything. He said he touched it and then let go when he realized it wasn't a rock.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > He even pointed it out to the official as if it was still there.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > He did though, it disintegrated in his finger hence not there anymore.He was making the best case for himself not being penalized which i understand...

> > > > > > Go rub your finger behind your ball in a bunker and remove/brush a little sand.it improves your lie. its not debatable. they rescinded because of "intent"

> > > > >

> > > > > I don't want to get into a long argument with you so we can just disagree. Was there proof that the sand disintegrated? Rory made it sound like he left the object behind. If you have proof otherwise feel free to post it.

> > > >

> > > > no long argument needed, the "proof" you seek is on video. he said he went to lift what he thought was a pebble and his fingers pinched sand instead because there was no pebble there.he did the right thing by telling the rules official and fair or unfair the penalty was applied. What part are you not seeing or agreeing with. he touched the sand, its not debatable he said so himself.Once thats done its a penalty.He was honest at least so kudos for that

> > >

> > > You must not understand the rule because touching the sand with your hand is not a penalty unless you improve your lie or you are trying to test conditions: https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/moving-or-touching-loose-impediments-or-sand-in-a-bunker.html

> > >

> > > "So they got the USGA involved, rang them, they sort of went back and forth a little bit and it came down to that. In a way, it came down to me and they said 'OK, are you comfortable telling us you didn't improve your lie?' For me, I am comfortable saying that."

> > >

> > > The PGA Tour's VP of rules and competition Slugger White added this after Rory's round: "He said he was 100 percent sure that nothing happened to improve," he told the media. "[Touching the sand] didn't improve his line of play or his intended swing."

> > >

> > > Rory does not feel his lie was improved. Please post this supposed video of the sand disintegrating. It seems like you're just making that up. I was watching the telecast and never saw that.

> >

> > My god your last 2 sentences shows me your petulance. The rule is clear and by definition his lie was altered and improved by default. You dont agree? no worries but the rule is clear as day.i think you dont understand it.If he didnt think he would gain an advantage by removing the "pebble" which turned out to be sand he wouldnt have attempted to remove it. When he did, he altered and improved the lie.He doesnt "believe" he did so they give the player the benefit of the doubt because its his word against theirs like it always is. Im not calling Rory a cheater because he reported what happened right away and should have accepted the penalty. Slugger White approved the penalty on the radio, you can hear him say 2 strokes on the telecast. Rory lobbied him after the round and used his clout to his advantage. Doesnt make it right though.

>

> Disagree on all accounts. The way the rule was written, Rory did nothing to improve his lie.

Cool thats your opinion. Apparently the way it was written warranted a 2 shot penalty during the round approved by the same guy who overturned it after the round, slugger white. Lets not pretend it hasnt happened before. Star player gets star treatment

> @lowheel said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> >

> > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > > > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > > > > > > @straightshot7 said:

> > > > > > > > > > Rory got a 2 stroke penalty for that? Harsh.

> > > > > > > > > > What if you have your caddie move the stones? Same rules apply?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > its the rule. If theres doubt you dont touch it.I dont agree with it being 2 shots nor do i agree with it being rescinded after the round. Faldo was wrong about there not being any advantage gained. He admitted to removing a tuft of sand directly behind the ball he thought was a pebble.By definition it improved his lie. I take him at his word that he thought it was a pebble but thems the breaks. Should be 1 shot and try to recreate the lie to make it fair to his competitors/field.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > No he didn't admit to removing anything. He said he touched it and then let go when he realized it wasn't a rock.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > He even pointed it out to the official as if it was still there.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > He did though, it disintegrated in his finger hence not there anymore.He was making the best case for himself not being penalized which i understand...

> > > > > > > Go rub your finger behind your ball in a bunker and remove/brush a little sand.it improves your lie. its not debatable. they rescinded because of "intent"

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I don't want to get into a long argument with you so we can just disagree. Was there proof that the sand disintegrated? Rory made it sound like he left the object behind. If you have proof otherwise feel free to post it.

> > > > >

> > > > > no long argument needed, the "proof" you seek is on video. he said he went to lift what he thought was a pebble and his fingers pinched sand instead because there was no pebble there.he did the right thing by telling the rules official and fair or unfair the penalty was applied. What part are you not seeing or agreeing with. he touched the sand, its not debatable he said so himself.Once thats done its a penalty.He was honest at least so kudos for that

> > > >

> > > > You must not understand the rule because touching the sand with your hand is not a penalty unless you improve your lie or you are trying to test conditions: https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/moving-or-touching-loose-impediments-or-sand-in-a-bunker.html

> > > >

> > > > "So they got the USGA involved, rang them, they sort of went back and forth a little bit and it came down to that. In a way, it came down to me and they said 'OK, are you comfortable telling us you didn't improve your lie?' For me, I am comfortable saying that."

> > > >

> > > > The PGA Tour's VP of rules and competition Slugger White added this after Rory's round: "He said he was 100 percent sure that nothing happened to improve," he told the media. "[Touching the sand] didn't improve his line of play or his intended swing."

> > > >

> > > > Rory does not feel his lie was improved. Please post this supposed video of the sand disintegrating. It seems like you're just making that up. I was watching the telecast and never saw that.

> > >

> > > My god your last 2 sentences shows me your petulance. The rule is clear and by definition his lie was altered and improved by default. You dont agree? no worries but the rule is clear as day.i think you dont understand it.If he didnt think he would gain an advantage by removing the "pebble" which turned out to be sand he wouldnt have attempted to remove it. When he did, he altered and improved the lie.He doesnt "believe" he did so they give the player the benefit of the doubt because its his word against theirs like it always is. Im not calling Rory a cheater because he reported what happened right away and should have accepted the penalty. Slugger White approved the penalty on the radio, you can hear him say 2 strokes on the telecast. Rory lobbied him after the round and used his clout to his advantage. Doesnt make it right though.

> >

> > Disagree on all accounts. The way the rule was written, Rory did nothing to improve his lie.

>

> Cool thats your opinion. Apparently the way it was written warranted a 2 shot penalty during the round approved by the same guy who overturned it, slugger white. Lets not pretend it hasnt happened before

The old farts who use their positions of power to remain relevant realized they made a mistake and reversed. Old dogs CAN learn new tricks, nothing more, nothing less. The rules say inadvertently touching is allowed, he inadvertently touched the sand. This is good for golf, the antiquated ideals of "The Rules are the Rules" only hinder growing the game

• Like 1

> @lowheel said:

> > @straightshot7 said:

> > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > > > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > > > > > > @straightshot7 said:

> > > > > > > > > > Rory got a 2 stroke penalty for that? Harsh.

> > > > > > > > > > What if you have your caddie move the stones? Same rules apply?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > its the rule. If theres doubt you dont touch it.I dont agree with it being 2 shots nor do i agree with it being rescinded after the round. Faldo was wrong about there not being any advantage gained. He admitted to removing a tuft of sand directly behind the ball he thought was a pebble.By definition it improved his lie. I take him at his word that he thought it was a pebble but thems the breaks. Should be 1 shot and try to recreate the lie to make it fair to his competitors/field.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > No he didn't admit to removing anything. He said he touched it and then let go when he realized it wasn't a rock.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > He even pointed it out to the official as if it was still there.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > He did though, it disintegrated in his finger hence not there anymore.He was making the best case for himself not being penalized which i understand...

> > > > > > > Go rub your finger behind your ball in a bunker and remove/brush a little sand.it improves your lie. its not debatable. they rescinded because of "intent"

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I don't want to get into a long argument with you so we can just disagree. Was there proof that the sand disintegrated? Rory made it sound like he left the object behind. If you have proof otherwise feel free to post it.

> > > > >

> > > > > no long argument needed, the "proof" you seek is on video. he said he went to lift what he thought was a pebble and his fingers pinched sand instead because there was no pebble there.he did the right thing by telling the rules official and fair or unfair the penalty was applied. What part are you not seeing or agreeing with. he touched the sand, its not debatable he said so himself.Once thats done its a penalty.He was honest at least so kudos for that

> > > >

> > > > You must not understand the rule because touching the sand with your hand is not a penalty unless you improve your lie or you are trying to test conditions: https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/moving-or-touching-loose-impediments-or-sand-in-a-bunker.html

> > > >

> > > > "So they got the USGA involved, rang them, they sort of went back and forth a little bit and it came down to that. In a way, it came down to me and they said 'OK, are you comfortable telling us you didn't improve your lie?' For me, I am comfortable saying that."

> > > >

> > > > The PGA Tour's VP of rules and competition Slugger White added this after Rory's round: "He said he was 100 percent sure that nothing happened to improve," he told the media. "[Touching the sand] didn't improve his line of play or his intended swing."

> > > >

> > > > Rory does not feel his lie was improved. Please post this supposed video of the sand disintegrating. It seems like you're just making that up. I was watching the telecast and never saw that.

> > >

> > > My god your last 2 sentences shows me your petulance. The rule is clear and by definition his lie was altered and improved by default. You dont agree? no worries but the rule is clear as day.i think you dont understand it.If he didnt think he would gain an advantage by removing the "pebble" which turned out to be sand he wouldnt have attempted to remove it. When he did, he altered and improved the lie.He doesnt "believe" he did so they give the player the benefit of the doubt because its his word against theirs like it always is. Im not calling Rory a cheater because he reported what happened right away and should have accepted the penalty. Slugger White approved the penalty on the radio, you can hear him say 2 strokes on the telecast. Rory lobbied him after the round and used his clout to his advantage. Doesnt make it right though.

> >

> > Multiple posters have already pointed out that according to Rory he never removed anything. He said he touched it and left it there.

> >

> > You keep saying he removed something. Again, you're making stuff up.

>

> how do you touch sand and it doesnt move? I mean literally at all.Im not making anything up he told the official on live TV he touched it and realized it wasnt a pebble. you can do better than that

Now you're changing your theory from removed to move? Maybe you should just admit you're speculating and don't have any proof of your theory because it's obvious.

A hard clump of sand can easily be touched without being moved or removed.

Either way, you have no evidence to the contrary. We have to go off of Rory's account. Stop assuming something happened and saying it happened when you have zero evidence!

> @straightshot7 said:

> > @lowheel said:

> > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > > > > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @straightshot7 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > Rory got a 2 stroke penalty for that? Harsh.

> > > > > > > > > > > What if you have your caddie move the stones? Same rules apply?

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > its the rule. If theres doubt you dont touch it.I dont agree with it being 2 shots nor do i agree with it being rescinded after the round. Faldo was wrong about there not being any advantage gained. He admitted to removing a tuft of sand directly behind the ball he thought was a pebble.By definition it improved his lie. I take him at his word that he thought it was a pebble but thems the breaks. Should be 1 shot and try to recreate the lie to make it fair to his competitors/field.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > No he didn't admit to removing anything. He said he touched it and then let go when he realized it wasn't a rock.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > He even pointed it out to the official as if it was still there.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > He did though, it disintegrated in his finger hence not there anymore.He was making the best case for himself not being penalized which i understand...

> > > > > > > > Go rub your finger behind your ball in a bunker and remove/brush a little sand.it improves your lie. its not debatable. they rescinded because of "intent"

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I don't want to get into a long argument with you so we can just disagree. Was there proof that the sand disintegrated? Rory made it sound like he left the object behind. If you have proof otherwise feel free to post it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > no long argument needed, the "proof" you seek is on video. he said he went to lift what he thought was a pebble and his fingers pinched sand instead because there was no pebble there.he did the right thing by telling the rules official and fair or unfair the penalty was applied. What part are you not seeing or agreeing with. he touched the sand, its not debatable he said so himself.Once thats done its a penalty.He was honest at least so kudos for that

> > > > >

> > > > > You must not understand the rule because touching the sand with your hand is not a penalty unless you improve your lie or you are trying to test conditions: https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/moving-or-touching-loose-impediments-or-sand-in-a-bunker.html

> > > > >

> > > > > "So they got the USGA involved, rang them, they sort of went back and forth a little bit and it came down to that. In a way, it came down to me and they said 'OK, are you comfortable telling us you didn't improve your lie?' For me, I am comfortable saying that."

> > > > >

> > > > > The PGA Tour's VP of rules and competition Slugger White added this after Rory's round: "He said he was 100 percent sure that nothing happened to improve," he told the media. "[Touching the sand] didn't improve his line of play or his intended swing."

> > > > >

> > > > > Rory does not feel his lie was improved. Please post this supposed video of the sand disintegrating. It seems like you're just making that up. I was watching the telecast and never saw that.

> > > >

> > > > My god your last 2 sentences shows me your petulance. The rule is clear and by definition his lie was altered and improved by default. You dont agree? no worries but the rule is clear as day.i think you dont understand it.If he didnt think he would gain an advantage by removing the "pebble" which turned out to be sand he wouldnt have attempted to remove it. When he did, he altered and improved the lie.He doesnt "believe" he did so they give the player the benefit of the doubt because its his word against theirs like it always is. Im not calling Rory a cheater because he reported what happened right away and should have accepted the penalty. Slugger White approved the penalty on the radio, you can hear him say 2 strokes on the telecast. Rory lobbied him after the round and used his clout to his advantage. Doesnt make it right though.

> > >

> > > Multiple posters have already pointed out that according to Rory he never removed anything. He said he touched it and left it there.

> > >

> > > You keep saying he removed something. Again, you're making stuff up.

> >

> > how do you touch sand and it doesnt move? I mean literally at all.Im not making anything up he told the official on live TV he touched it and realized it wasnt a pebble. you can do better than that

>

> Now you're changing your theory from removed to move? Maybe you should just admit you're speculating and don't have any proof of your theory because it's obvious.

>

> A hard clump of sand can easily be touched without being moved or removed.

>

> Either way, you have no evidence to the contrary. We have to go off of Rory's account. Stop assuming something happened and saying it happen when you have zero evidence!

Lol, how smug can a person be. Are you making this stuff up as you go along? your projecting your own insecurities my good man. You have no evidence to support your "theory". I never said he removed anything, i said he touched the sand. Its clear youre deeply invested with being so right on this when its simply opinion. Rorys own words said he touched the sand and made a mistake thinking there was a pebble. the get out of jail card he used after the round is he "believes 100%" the lie wasnt improved. We all know thats BS. It wouldnt be allowed in a club championship let alone a tour event. He didnt even argue when the official told him Sluggers words at the time. he did his lobbying off camera and they folded. it happens all the time and his stature in the game made a difference.i dont fault him for asking he saved 2 shots and remains in contention. The rule should be clarified to avoid interpretation calls. In the end you dont have any "evidence" either so settle down

> @Krt22 said:

> > @lowheel said:

> > > @Krt22 said:

> > >

> > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > > > > > > @lowheel said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @straightshot7 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > Rory got a 2 stroke penalty for that? Harsh.

> > > > > > > > > > > What if you have your caddie move the stones? Same rules apply?

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > its the rule. If theres doubt you dont touch it.I dont agree with it being 2 shots nor do i agree with it being rescinded after the round. Faldo was wrong about there not being any advantage gained. He admitted to removing a tuft of sand directly behind the ball he thought was a pebble.By definition it improved his lie. I take him at his word that he thought it was a pebble but thems the breaks. Should be 1 shot and try to recreate the lie to make it fair to his competitors/field.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > No he didn't admit to removing anything. He said he touched it and then let go when he realized it wasn't a rock.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > He even pointed it out to the official as if it was still there.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > He did though, it disintegrated in his finger hence not there anymore.He was making the best case for himself not being penalized which i understand...

> > > > > > > > Go rub your finger behind your ball in a bunker and remove/brush a little sand.it improves your lie. its not debatable. they rescinded because of "intent"

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I don't want to get into a long argument with you so we can just disagree. Was there proof that the sand disintegrated? Rory made it sound like he left the object behind. If you have proof otherwise feel free to post it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > no long argument needed, the "proof" you seek is on video. he said he went to lift what he thought was a pebble and his fingers pinched sand instead because there was no pebble there.he did the right thing by telling the rules official and fair or unfair the penalty was applied. What part are you not seeing or agreeing with. he touched the sand, its not debatable he said so himself.Once thats done its a penalty.He was honest at least so kudos for that

> > > > >

> > > > > You must not understand the rule because touching the sand with your hand is not a penalty unless you improve your lie or you are trying to test conditions: https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/moving-or-touching-loose-impediments-or-sand-in-a-bunker.html

> > > > >

> > > > > "So they got the USGA involved, rang them, they sort of went back and forth a little bit and it came down to that. In a way, it came down to me and they said 'OK, are you comfortable telling us you didn't improve your lie?' For me, I am comfortable saying that."

> > > > >

> > > > > The PGA Tour's VP of rules and competition Slugger White added this after Rory's round: "He said he was 100 percent sure that nothing happened to improve," he told the media. "[Touching the sand] didn't improve his line of play or his intended swing."

> > > > >

> > > > > Rory does not feel his lie was improved. Please post this supposed video of the sand disintegrating. It seems like you're just making that up. I was watching the telecast and never saw that.

> > > >

> > > > My god your last 2 sentences shows me your petulance. The rule is clear and by definition his lie was altered and improved by default. You dont agree? no worries but the rule is clear as day.i think you dont understand it.If he didnt think he would gain an advantage by removing the "pebble" which turned out to be sand he wouldnt have attempted to remove it. When he did, he altered and improved the lie.He doesnt "believe" he did so they give the player the benefit of the doubt because its his word against theirs like it always is. Im not calling Rory a cheater because he reported what happened right away and should have accepted the penalty. Slugger White approved the penalty on the radio, you can hear him say 2 strokes on the telecast. Rory lobbied him after the round and used his clout to his advantage. Doesnt make it right though.

> > >

> > > Disagree on all accounts. The way the rule was written, Rory did nothing to improve his lie.

> >

> > Cool thats your opinion. Apparently the way it was written warranted a 2 shot penalty during the round approved by the same guy who overturned it, slugger white. Lets not pretend it hasnt happened before

>

> The old farts who use their positions of power to remain relevant realized they made a mistake and reversed. Old dogs CAN learn new tricks, nothing more, nothing less. The rules say inadvertently touching is allowed, he inadvertently touched the sand. This is good for golf, the antiquated ideals of "The Rules are the Rules" only hinder growing the game

Define inadvertently for me because i think youre in for a surprise.

are you claiming Rory accidentally touched the sand directly behind his ball? because he obviously intended to touch it but unfortunately misread sand for a pebble.It happened and was called appropriately at the time. "Old farts" or not we can agree the rules need to continue to be streamlined including this one. I take rory at his word that he thought it was a rock but 2 shots is too steep in that scenario. Rules official should have told him show me what you touched, recreate it and play your shot with 1 shot penalty but his hands were tied.

Just watched it again. He didn't even remove the clump, he realized as he grabbed it that it was not a stone so left it. The rules official first off said "you aren't allowed to touch the sand" which isn't true with the new rules. Rory had it right the entire exchange, said he did not intend to touch sand

Official had it wrong, as did slugger on the radio, penalty reversed, non story/discussion.

• Like 2