MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

1 hour ago, randr3wb said:

For those who have ordered with the KBS shaft, does a sticker come on the shaft showing it’s that model or is it just completely blacked out?

Curious as the one I picked up didn’t have a sticker on it but the LAB site shows it with a sticker.  Thought that mat just be a stock photo though. 

My shaft is smooth and sticker free....  and so is my putter 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

3 hours ago, randr3wb said:

For those who have ordered with the KBS shaft, does a sticker come on the shaft showing it’s that model or is it just completely blacked out?

Curious as the one I picked up didn’t have a sticker on it but the LAB site shows it with a sticker.  Thought that mat just be a stock photo though. 

Its a stock photo. No stickers on ours

On 1/30/2021 at 1:57 PM, Schnee said:

Sam, how do you guys install the press grips? I wanted to experiment with a different grip on mine but it’s impossible to get off! Tried solvent, air compressor etc. I’d really rather not cut off a perfectly good $40 grip! 

Edit to add: mine is a 2.M 

It sounds like you have one of the ones that we were using gorilla glue on unfortunately. We use tape again now  but I know that doesn't help your situation

On 1/31/2021 at 5:53 AM, TylerJ89 said:

I’ve been using my LAB DF 2.1 with the Press II 3° grip for the last few months with good results.  It’s very hard to go back to a normal putter after this.

I will admit, have lost a little confidence over the last few rounds and have been picking up different putters to bring to the practice green for some head to heads.  Most putts are great with my DF, but every now and then (like most on here) I experience a big push or pull out of nowhere.  I’ve scrutinized my aim, and am very cognizant of my ball position, as I’ve watched all the videos and read this thread 4-5 times.

I don’t know if it’s the tinkering in me or not, but I’m interested in possibly trying the Press 1.L or Press OG 3.0 to change it up.  I have typically used putter grips in the past that are a tad smaller in diameter than the Press II 3°, with good results.  

Anyone have some experience switching to one of these?  What are the pros and cons?  

Thanks

The OG is the smallest of our offerings for sure. I personally much prefer it over the others but it IS an unusual shape at first for many. No flat side. For me, it encouraged my hands to be a bit more underneath the grip which helped take my hands out if it a bit.

My LAB 2.1 arrived this morning after what seemed an interminable wait (well, 5 weeks!). So I tried it on my putting mat and EXPUTT and with Blast Motion. My findings so far:

1. The roll on the ball is great. So much better than my second hand YES putter. You get what you pay for!

2. It took a little while to dial in distance for long putts on EXPUTT but when I did I was holing some 30/40 footers. The key takeaway being that I was still able to hit far straighter on the longer putts than previously.

3. I had to experiment with set up. In particular ensuring that the base was flat on the mat and the  ball was forward in the stance. I am seeing a few balls going right so more work needed there, maybe move even more forward in the stance.

4. I tried hitting to each section of the Wellputt Mat and for the first time was able to put a ball in each section within 3 putts - generally on the first putt. I'd not managed that before.

5. Looking at the BM data, the key highlights are that the average face angle at impact is much closer to square and the spread (measured as standard deviation) is lower (but still too high). One of the suggestions by @bobbyclampett!! was to work on consistency of the back and forward stroke lengths  (and therefore rotation) and that is what I'll be focusing on. 

6. Trying to get the right level of "soft hands" is work in progress but it is already way better than the YES. The club head isn't twisting as much and feels easier to manage.

7. Forgiveness is off the scale. I'm now no longer concerned about the ball flying off the face one moment and trickling off it the next.

Do I like this putter - OH YES!! It's in the bag!

I've probably got 6-8 weeks before I can get on a course so a lot of opportunity to practice but looking forward to it. And can't wait to get on a proper green!

The thread has been very helpful to shortcut my learning and particularly lately with @Bobby Clampett's contributions.

I was fitted by Joel Saunders at Verulam Golf Club, St Albans, UK. He plays a DF2.1 so I knew I was talking to someone who knew what they were doing and were bought into the club. 34 inches and 71 degree lie angle with #19 aim marking.

IMG_8163.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/31/2021 at 8:21 AM, Cliffy2020 said:

Very interested in this as well.  Posted similar question about the Press II 1.5* a few pages back that didn’t catch any wind.  It will most likely be my next putter grip to try out with the 2.1 if only to nip my curiosity although the Press 1.L is definitely on the radar.  I can always switch back.  My thoughts on the Press II 1.5* for ME:

1) Much smaller profile

2) Lighter weight allows me to feel the head weight more.

3) 1.5* of built in press allows me to naturally press a little as well to get to their magic 3* (if my gorilla trigonometry is correct, it comes out to just under 1” of manual press.)

Press1.L -

1) Smaller grip profile 

2) Same weight

3) Same 3* press 

(no brainer to try out)

OG3.0 -

1) Smaller grip profile

2) Much heavier grip.  Head will feel noticeably lighter. 

3) Same 3* press

(weight change makes it a brainer decision. Add a 30g strip of lead tape along your existing grip to feel the difference (or use 6 nickels for 30g)

I’d like to see @labgolf post butt end pictures of all their grips side by side on their website to show differences as the listed dimensions don’t do them any justice considering the unique shapes of their designs. 

This is all correct except the 1.L is HUGE. As big/slightly bigger than a SS 3.0.

On 1/30/2021 at 1:57 PM, Schnee said:

Sam, how do you guys install the press grips? I wanted to experiment with a different grip on mine but it’s impossible to get off! Tried solvent, air compressor etc. I’d really rather not cut off a perfectly good $40 grip! 

Edit to add: mine is a 2.M 

This tool from Golf-Works might work:

https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-v-groove-grip-remover/p/vggrv/

I got one and they are very handy for removing grips. 

You would have to force this between the grip and the shaft at various points to break all the gorilla glue.  They aren't cheap, but every grip they save gets to dollar-cost-average against that initial purchase...

• Like 1

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

2 hours ago, labgolf said:

This is all correct except the 1.L is HUGE. As big/slightly bigger than a SS 3.0.

Out of curiosity: How come the 1.L is so much bigger then the OG, when they have the same diameter (as per labgolf.com)? Is it more round and less elliptical (= more like a barrel vs the oval OG)?

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

@labgolfare you guys up and producing putters again, I know you were moving operations. I ordered an armlock putter in December and it still hasn't been shipped.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

3 hours ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

Out of curiosity: How come the 1.L is so much bigger then the OG, when they have the same diameter (as per labgolf.com)? Is it more round and less elliptical (= more like a barrel vs the oval OG)?

The Og is listed as having the same diameter on the site!! Yikes! thats a mistake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Long Shot said:

@labgolfare you guys up and producing putters again, I know you were moving operations. I ordered an armlock putter in December and it still hasn't been shipped.

We are in Eugene and Building again. SOOOO sorry about the delay. Email [email protected] and ask them for an update and tell them Sam said to throw in one of the new arm lock hats!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, labgolf said:

We are in Eugene and Building again. SOOOO sorry about the delay. Email [email protected] and ask them for an update and tell them Sam said to throw in one of the new arm lock hats!

Thanks, but I spoke to Jennifer ( we spoke about becoming a retailer/fitter when I ordered this one) about two weeks ago, and she said it would be shipped early last week. 

Edited by Long Shot

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

I'm curious about the lab broomsticks putters... Has anyone tried that? I have never used a broomstick before but my putting has been disastrous and I am desprate enough to take a leap of faith(;´д`)ゞ Lab seems to be the only putter brand I can find that still produce quality broomsticks, and I am curious how they feel and perform.

Cobra SZ 9*  Fujikura ventus black 6X

Mizuno ST190 3w Aldila 6S

Titleist 718 cb 3i Project X LZ 6.0

Mizuno Mizuno Pro 118 5i-PW NIPPON Modus 3 120 TX

Titleist Vokey SM5 50* DG S200

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 54/58 DG 115

Callaway PM Grind 64* KBS Hi-Rev 115

Sik Pro C 35.5"

Bridgestone Tour B X

7 hours ago, KodakkuSensei said:

I'm curious about the lab broomsticks putters... Has anyone tried that? I have never used a broomstick before but my putting has been disastrous and I am desprate enough to take a leap of faith(;´д`)ゞ Lab seems to be the only putter brand I can find that still produce quality broomsticks, and I am curious how they feel and perform.

Funny, I am interested as well and also considering a leap of faith. The best putter I know uses a broomstick and has 7 or so backups in his house in case he can’t ever find them again. I was recently fit (first time putter fitting so it was quite helpful) but if this fails I’m going broomstick. I already putt with claw ( Quintic showed it is hands down best grip for me) so I can’t imagine it will be too difficult of a transition for me. Plus when I mess around with my buddy’s putter I always roll them well. Quintic also showed that my putting stroke is dead straight back and straight through so I can imagine I would get along with a DF putter. 

I could care less about any equipment name, look, style, etc. Performance is all that matters in my opinion. 

Edited by iceman1118
  • Like 4

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-P Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Ping PLD DS 72

Titleist Pro V1

12 hours ago, labgolf said:

The Og is listed as having the same diameter on the site!! Yikes! thats a mistake.

YES!  I almost bought one based on the description & dimensions posted on the website. Glad you chimed in here.

Sounds like you have a market for a lighter weight OG style/sized grip for the 2.1 !

Maybe produce the OG in an EVA foam as an option?

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

@labgolf Can you please post a pic of the butt-ends of all your putter-grips all lined up like a pretty little chorus line ?  I think it would be very helpful.  Thanks 👍🏼

• Like 3

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

8 hours ago, iceman1118 said:

Funny, I am interested as well and also considering a leap of faith. The best putter I know uses a broomstick and has 7 or so backups in his house in case he can’t ever find them again. I was recently fit (first time putter fitting so it was quite helpful) but if this fails I’m going broomstick. I already putt with claw ( Quintic showed it is hands down best grip for me) so I can’t imagine it will be too difficult of a transition for me. Plus when I mess around with my buddy’s putter I always roll them well. Quintic also showed that my putting stroke is dead straight back and straight through so I can imagine I would get along with a DF putter. 

I could care less about any equipment name, look, style, etc. Performance is all that matters in my opinion. 

I got my broomstick last month. Made 4 birdie putts In 9 holes yesterday (2 were cheating by getting home in 2 on par 5s). But the other 2 would have missed with my other putters. But I did 3 putt twice. Once on a long downhill really fast putt and didn’t play enough break on the 5 footer coming back up the hill. The other was a long 50 foot uphill that I just hit too hard and again misread the amount of break coming back. Very happy so far with the purchase. My biggest issue with my broomstick is it won’t read the putts for me! 

529612C7-DF27-4D5F-AB7B-5A14FDE79BB5.jpeg

Edited by JA17
  • Haha 1

One more question for all you veteran DF users.  I hope this makes sense.

Do you fully sole the putter at address, and wherever the grip ends up, that’s where you put your hands?  I have the 3° press so obviously they’re a little forward of the ball.  (Sole of the putter is completely flat against ground).

Or... do you fully sole the putter, and then bring your hands back to center a bit, thus creating a more vertical shaft?  This brings the sole of the putter off the ground for me and doesn’t feel like it’s the correct way.   ((This is how I’ve been putting))

Hopefully this isn’t a stupid question and you understand what I’m talking about.  

Pic 1 is with the putter fully soled and my hands forward, pic 2 is with a more vertical shaft. 

They don’t look all that different in the pics, but I can feel it at set up.  You all will know what I mean.

EB086400-58B3-440A-AF10-97C98FB37762.jpeg

1BD00743-B7D1-4406-8DC3-17544877363D.jpeg

Before I get ridiculed, this is not my normal set up.  I just took the pics for a visual reference of shaft/grip position.

Forgot to crop my weird toes out, but I’m too lazy to do it now  🙂

Edited by TylerJ89

49 minutes ago, TylerJ89 said:

Do you fully sole the putter at address, and wherever the grip ends up, that’s where you put your hands?  I have the 3° press so obviously they’re a little forward of the ball.  (Sole of the putter is completely flat against ground).

Yes, it will feel weird at first but I don't manipulate anything once the putter is soled. sole it, grab it, deaden the hands and let it go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2021 at 2:55 PM, labgolf said:

It sounds like you have one of the ones that we were using gorilla glue on unfortunately. We use tape again now  but I know that doesn't help your situation

This is great.  I spent 2-3 hours trying to get a grip off before abandoning the effort.  I'm thinking I have a monkey glue version too!.  I've used glue, spray adhesive, no tape... so I get it.  But for those 3 hours I was sweating.  🙂

• Haha 2

On 2/1/2021 at 2:59 PM, labgolf said:

The OG is the smallest of our offerings for sure. I personally much prefer it over the others but it IS an unusual shape at first for many. No flat side. For me, it encouraged my hands to be a bit more underneath the grip which helped take my hands out if it a bit.

Is there any specific benefit to having your hands more underneath the grip with the OG?  Also, I would assume the putter would have to be reweighted if I decided to put the OG on it, since its 30g heavier? @labgolf

Edited by TylerJ89

For anyone with their DF 2.1. If you hold the grip in your hand and slightly drop the putter to the ground...basically soleing (is that a word) the putter, does it make a hollow sound almost as if the head and shaft aren’t fully glued? Not sure I’m making sense.  If you are in your putting stance and lift the head straight up a few inches off the ground and let the head hit the ground ( nor hard by any means) but does it make kind of a clanking sound??  

not sure if that the stability  shaft  noise or coming from the head.  May be ok as everything feels solid and no wiggle like it’s loose. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

1 hour ago, Minarets said:

For anyone with their DF 2.1. If you hold the grip in your hand and slightly drop the putter to the ground...basically soleing (is that a word) the putter, does it make a hollow sound almost as if the head and shaft aren’t fully glued? Not sure I’m making sense.  If you are in your putting stance and lift the head straight up a few inches off the ground and let the head hit the ground ( nor hard by any means) but does it make kind of a clanking sound??  

not sure if that the stability  shaft  noise or coming from the head.  May be ok as everything feels solid and no wiggle like it’s loose. 

Get the sound on video and send it in. That doesn;t seem right

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TylerJ89 said:

One more question for all you veteran DF users.  I hope this makes sense.

Or... do you fully sole the putter, and then bring your hands back to center a bit, thus creating a more vertical shaft?  This brings the sole of the putter off the ground for me and doesn’t feel like it’s the correct way.   ((This is how I’ve been putting))

Hopefully this isn’t a stupid question and you understand what I’m talking about.  

Pic 1 is with the putter fully soled and my hands forward, pic 2 is with a more vertical shaft. 

They don’t look all that different in the pics, but I can feel it at set up.  You all will know what I mean.

EB086400-58B3-440A-AF10-97C98FB37762.jpeg

1BD00743-B7D1-4406-8DC3-17544877363D.jpeg

Before I get ridiculed, this is not my normal set up.  I just took the pics for a visual reference of shaft/grip position.

Forgot to crop my weird toes out, but I’m too lazy to do it now  🙂

Not a stupid question at all and this isn't DWMP so you won't get ridiculed even if it was stupid!! Ideally we want the grip vertical to the ground which would bring the flange up ever so slightly but this isn;t law. Let the results dictate how you set up.

• Haha 1