McCord and Kostis not Returning to CBS

Holy Moses

I can't believe the traction that Romo has gotten in the golf world. Seems like a nice enough 0-1 handicap guy but seeing his face on every 5th page of golf digest seems weird. It could be he's like Fowler and be good at commercials, but Fowler can play.

Gary on the other hand should fill a magic 8 ball with his witticisms, press some dimples in it and paint it white and sell it to those who still like his shtick. Maybe a talking bobble head would be better.

> @grm24 said:

> > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > I'll miss Gary McCord. He's one of my favorite tower announcers ever, right up there with Ben Wright.

> > >

> > > I agree that Tony Romo will be a replacement. Although he still needs to sign a new deal with CBS for football. That ends after this season.

> > >

> > > I assume Kostis wasn't renewed because the Konica Minolta Bizhub can now talk.

> >

> > There's no way that Romo gets the gig even though a hire like that might bring more non-traditional golfers to the CBS telecast. As good as he is in the NFL on CBS booth and as a golfer, he doesn't know enough about the Tour and on-course commentating to get that job.

> >

> >

>

> That didn't stop former NFL tight end Bob Trumpy from calling golf on NBC back in the day. Or Vin Scully. Or Jim Lampley. If CBS wants to keep Romo and Romo wants to do golf as part of it he will. Especially since Romo is tight with Jim Nantz.

Yep. And non NFL guys like Musburger, Curt Gowdy and on and on. Lots of non-golfers that have been among the best to work some golf for sure.

Romo bringing more "non-traditional golfers" to a telecast - LOL. That would be Tiger Woods. No announcer calling a few holes or sitting anonymously in a booth is bringing any significant numbers of non-golf viewers to the telecast. "Hey, change the channel from NASCAR, we might hear Romo describe a putt!" ------ said nobody ever who valued their life.

• Like 1

> @cxx said:

> I can't believe the traction that Romo has gotten in the golf world. Seems like a nice enough 0-1 handicap guy but seeing his face on every 5th page of golf digest seems weird. It could be he's like Fowler and be good at commercials, but Fowler can play.

>

> Gary on the other hand should fill a magic 8 ball with his witticisms, press some dimples in it and paint it white and sell it to those who still like his shtick. Maybe a talking bobble head would be better.

The guy amassed a lot of stats without any real significant accomplishments. Aikman, Staubach, Meredith and I daresay Danny White would have been more successful with some of the teams Romo "led". Cue the NFL films music - when men were men and didn't wear Skechers to go-go football.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > I'll miss Gary McCord. He's one of my favorite tower announcers ever, right up there with Ben Wright.

> > > >

> > > > I agree that Tony Romo will be a replacement. Although he still needs to sign a new deal with CBS for football. That ends after this season.

> > > >

> > > > I assume Kostis wasn't renewed because the Konica Minolta Bizhub can now talk.

> > >

> > > There's no way that Romo gets the gig even though a hire like that might bring more non-traditional golfers to the CBS telecast. As good as he is in the NFL on CBS booth and as a golfer, he doesn't know enough about the Tour and on-course commentating to get that job.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > That didn't stop former NFL tight end Bob Trumpy from calling golf on NBC back in the day. Or Vin Scully. Or Jim Lampley. If CBS wants to keep Romo and Romo wants to do golf as part of it he will. Especially since Romo is tight with Jim Nantz.

>

> Yep. And non NFL guys like Musburger, Curt Gowdy and on and on. Lots of non-golfers that have been among the best to work some golf for sure.

>

> Romo bringing more "non-traditional golfers" to a telecast - LOL. That would be Tiger Woods. No announcer calling a few holes or sitting anonymously in a booth is bringing any significant numbers of non-golf viewers to the telecast. "Hey, change the channel from NASCAR, we might hear Romo describe a putt!" ------ said nobody ever who valued their life.

It's one thing to be a PBP guy - you don't have to be a former professional player for that. But the open positions at CBS Golf are on-course positions that have historically been filled by former players and teachers for good reason because of their experience. I can't think of one person who is a color commentator or walks with the players or is in a tower that has never played the game professionally.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

It's not a secret that CBS' coverage is terrible. Too many commercials, especially when they are not even on a commercial break. To me, that's the bigger issue than who the replacements for McCord and Kostis will be.

A lot of people complained that the NFL had too many commercials and that the games had become 5 minutes longer in just a few years. One of the more egregious instances of this was going from commercial to kickoff to commercial to play after a TD. Viewers complained. The NFL saw the problem and worked with the networks to stop the commercials after a kickoff in 2017. But the networks weren't going to change that and lose money on their own. Not until the Tour steps in and forces CBS to better produce their telecasts and show more golf will anything happen.

• Like 1

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

> @Soloman1 said:

> > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > I can't think of one person who is a color commentator or walks with the players or is in a tower that has never played the game professionally.

> >

>

> Bones?

There's one. But Bones had been on Tour for decades. I just don't see someone who isn't closely associated with the Tour getting the openings.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > @grm24 said:

> > > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > > I'll miss Gary McCord. He's one of my favorite tower announcers ever, right up there with Ben Wright.

> > > > >

> > > > > I agree that Tony Romo will be a replacement. Although he still needs to sign a new deal with CBS for football. That ends after this season.

> > > > >

> > > > > I assume Kostis wasn't renewed because the Konica Minolta Bizhub can now talk.

> > > >

> > > > There's no way that Romo gets the gig even though a hire like that might bring more non-traditional golfers to the CBS telecast. As good as he is in the NFL on CBS booth and as a golfer, he doesn't know enough about the Tour and on-course commentating to get that job.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > That didn't stop former NFL tight end Bob Trumpy from calling golf on NBC back in the day. Or Vin Scully. Or Jim Lampley. If CBS wants to keep Romo and Romo wants to do golf as part of it he will. Especially since Romo is tight with Jim Nantz.

> >

> > Yep. And non NFL guys like Musburger, Curt Gowdy and on and on. Lots of non-golfers that have been among the best to work some golf for sure.

> >

> > Romo bringing more "non-traditional golfers" to a telecast - LOL. That would be Tiger Woods. No announcer calling a few holes or sitting anonymously in a booth is bringing any significant numbers of non-golf viewers to the telecast. "Hey, change the channel from NASCAR, we might hear Romo describe a putt!" ------ said nobody ever who valued their life.

>

> It's one thing to be a PBP guy - you don't have to be a former professional player for that. But the open positions at CBS Golf are on-course positions that have historically been filled by former players and teachers for good reason because of their experience. I can't think of one person who is a color commentator or walks with the players or is in a tower that has never played the game professionally.

>

>

That's true. I'd be surprised if Romo is wearing the "big belt" - just assuming if he is hired (don't know why they would) it would be for a role in the booth. Plenty of ways to "replace" McCord and Kostis and hire other folks without them stepping directly into those shoes.

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > > I'll miss Gary McCord. He's one of my favorite tower announcers ever, right up there with Ben Wright.

> > > > >

> > > > > I agree that Tony Romo will be a replacement. Although he still needs to sign a new deal with CBS for football. That ends after this season.

> > > > >

> > > > > I assume Kostis wasn't renewed because the Konica Minolta Bizhub can now talk.

> > > >

> > > > There's no way that Romo gets the gig even though a hire like that might bring more non-traditional golfers to the CBS telecast. As good as he is in the NFL on CBS booth and as a golfer, he doesn't know enough about the Tour and on-course commentating to get that job.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > That didn't stop former NFL tight end Bob Trumpy from calling golf on NBC back in the day. Or Vin Scully. Or Jim Lampley. If CBS wants to keep Romo and Romo wants to do golf as part of it he will. Especially since Romo is tight with Jim Nantz.

> >

> > Yep. And non NFL guys like Musburger, Curt Gowdy and on and on. Lots of non-golfers that have been among the best to work some golf for sure.

> >

> > Romo bringing more "non-traditional golfers" to a telecast - LOL. That would be Tiger Woods. No announcer calling a few holes or sitting anonymously in a booth is bringing any significant numbers of non-golf viewers to the telecast. "Hey, change the channel from NASCAR, we might hear Romo describe a putt!" ------ said nobody ever who valued their life.

>

> It's one thing to be a PBP guy - you don't have to be a former professional player for that. But the open positions at CBS Golf are on-course positions that have historically been filled by former players and teachers for good reason because of their experience. I can't think of one person who is a color commentator or walks with the players or is in a tower that has never played the game professionally.

>

>

McCord was in the booth not on course like Kostis.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > I wouldn't be surprised to see CBS pull out of golf entirely. The new PGA/LPGA TV contract will rely heavily on streaming. They'll keep the Masters, of course, but that'll pretty much be it.

>

> They have an 11 year deal starting next year to broadcast the PGA Championship, lol.

The PGA Championship is outside the domain of the Tour and the new broadcast contract being negotiated. So are the other Majors. My question is whether CBS still wants the lesser events, particularly given the huge investment the Tour wants to make all shot access possible via streaming. We’ll see.

Gosh all Hemlocks and chew spruce gum! My prayers have been answered!

McCord should have quit while he was ahead, which was a long time ago.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > I wouldn't be surprised to see CBS pull out of golf entirely. The new PGA/LPGA TV contract will rely heavily on streaming. They'll keep the Masters, of course, but that'll pretty much be it.

> >

> > They have an 11 year deal starting next year to broadcast the PGA Championship, lol.

>

> The PGA Championship is outside the domain of the Tour and the new broadcast contract being negotiated. So are the other Majors.

>

>

What's your point? You said CBS would be out of golf, yet would keep the Masters and that would be it.

Not it. PGA kind of a biggie.

> @grm24 said:

> > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > > > I'll miss Gary McCord. He's one of my favorite tower announcers ever, right up there with Ben Wright.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I agree that Tony Romo will be a replacement. Although he still needs to sign a new deal with CBS for football. That ends after this season.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I assume Kostis wasn't renewed because the Konica Minolta Bizhub can now talk.

> > > > >

> > > > > There's no way that Romo gets the gig even though a hire like that might bring more non-traditional golfers to the CBS telecast. As good as he is in the NFL on CBS booth and as a golfer, he doesn't know enough about the Tour and on-course commentating to get that job.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > That didn't stop former NFL tight end Bob Trumpy from calling golf on NBC back in the day. Or Vin Scully. Or Jim Lampley. If CBS wants to keep Romo and Romo wants to do golf as part of it he will. Especially since Romo is tight with Jim Nantz.

> > >

> > > Yep. And non NFL guys like Musburger, Curt Gowdy and on and on. Lots of non-golfers that have been among the best to work some golf for sure.

> > >

> > > Romo bringing more "non-traditional golfers" to a telecast - LOL. That would be Tiger Woods. No announcer calling a few holes or sitting anonymously in a booth is bringing any significant numbers of non-golf viewers to the telecast. "Hey, change the channel from NASCAR, we might hear Romo describe a putt!" ------ said nobody ever who valued their life.

> >

> > It's one thing to be a PBP guy - you don't have to be a former professional player for that. But the open positions at CBS Golf are on-course positions that have historically been filled by former players and teachers for good reason because of their experience. I can't think of one person who is a color commentator or walks with the players or is in a tower that has never played the game professionally.

> >

> >

>

> McCord was in the booth not on course like Kostis.

Yep. Made that pretty clear in earlier posts.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

> @Soloman1 said:

> > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > I can't think of one person who is a color commentator or walks with the players or is in a tower that has never played the game professionally.

> >

>

> Bones?

Bones!

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > > > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > > > > I'll miss Gary McCord. He's one of my favorite tower announcers ever, right up there with Ben Wright.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I agree that Tony Romo will be a replacement. Although he still needs to sign a new deal with CBS for football. That ends after this season.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I assume Kostis wasn't renewed because the Konica Minolta Bizhub can now talk.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > There's no way that Romo gets the gig even though a hire like that might bring more non-traditional golfers to the CBS telecast. As good as he is in the NFL on CBS booth and as a golfer, he doesn't know enough about the Tour and on-course commentating to get that job.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > That didn't stop former NFL tight end Bob Trumpy from calling golf on NBC back in the day. Or Vin Scully. Or Jim Lampley. If CBS wants to keep Romo and Romo wants to do golf as part of it he will. Especially since Romo is tight with Jim Nantz.

> > > >

> > > > Yep. And non NFL guys like Musburger, Curt Gowdy and on and on. Lots of non-golfers that have been among the best to work some golf for sure.

> > > >

> > > > Romo bringing more "non-traditional golfers" to a telecast - LOL. That would be Tiger Woods. No announcer calling a few holes or sitting anonymously in a booth is bringing any significant numbers of non-golf viewers to the telecast. "Hey, change the channel from NASCAR, we might hear Romo describe a putt!" ------ said nobody ever who valued their life.

> > >

> > > It's one thing to be a PBP guy - you don't have to be a former professional player for that. But the open positions at CBS Golf are on-course positions that have historically been filled by former players and teachers for good reason because of their experience. I can't think of one person who is a color commentator or walks with the players or is in a tower that has never played the game professionally.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > McCord was in the booth not on course like Kostis.

>

> Yep. Made that pretty clear in earlier posts.

In the post I replied to you stated **"But the open positions at CBS Golf are on-course positions "**

Being in a booth on a given hole as McCord was is not being on course like Kostis.

> @grm24 said:

> > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > > > > > I'll miss Gary McCord. He's one of my favorite tower announcers ever, right up there with Ben Wright.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I agree that Tony Romo will be a replacement. Although he still needs to sign a new deal with CBS for football. That ends after this season.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I assume Kostis wasn't renewed because the Konica Minolta Bizhub can now talk.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > There's no way that Romo gets the gig even though a hire like that might bring more non-traditional golfers to the CBS telecast. As good as he is in the NFL on CBS booth and as a golfer, he doesn't know enough about the Tour and on-course commentating to get that job.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > That didn't stop former NFL tight end Bob Trumpy from calling golf on NBC back in the day. Or Vin Scully. Or Jim Lampley. If CBS wants to keep Romo and Romo wants to do golf as part of it he will. Especially since Romo is tight with Jim Nantz.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yep. And non NFL guys like Musburger, Curt Gowdy and on and on. Lots of non-golfers that have been among the best to work some golf for sure.

> > > > >

> > > > > Romo bringing more "non-traditional golfers" to a telecast - LOL. That would be Tiger Woods. No announcer calling a few holes or sitting anonymously in a booth is bringing any significant numbers of non-golf viewers to the telecast. "Hey, change the channel from NASCAR, we might hear Romo describe a putt!" ------ said nobody ever who valued their life.

> > > >

> > > > It's one thing to be a PBP guy - you don't have to be a former professional player for that. But the open positions at CBS Golf are on-course positions that have historically been filled by former players and teachers for good reason because of their experience. I can't think of one person who is a color commentator or walks with the players or is in a tower that has never played the game professionally.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > McCord was in the booth not on course like Kostis.

> >

> > Yep. Made that pretty clear in earlier posts.

>

> In the post I replied to you stated **"But the open positions at CBS Golf are on-course positions "**

> Being in a booth on a given hole as McCord was is not being on course like Kostis.

Everybody knows that and that’s why it must have been stated 50x in this thread already.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

> @cbbaron said:

> This might be un popular but I've found Colin Montgomerie good on tv

I agree, I have always enjoyed his very gentleman like commentary.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @cbbaron said:

> > This might be un popular but I've found Colin Montgomerie good on tv

>

> I agree, I have always enjoyed his very gentleman like commentary.

He’s good, but has a pretty bad history with American audiences due to no fault of his own. Maybe that has worn off.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> Their contracts were not renewed. Who should be their replacements?

>

> https://golfweek.com/2019/10/26/gary-mccord-peter-kostis-wont-return-cbs-golf-team/

>

>

Thank God. Now I can put the remote down and not have to mute it every time McCord spoke.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @cbbaron said:

> > This might be un popular but I've found Colin Montgomerie good on tv

>

> I agree, I have always enjoyed his very gentleman like commentary.

Monty is brilliant. His bits on the set from time to time over the past several years have been great. Funny, insightful, smart - he's great.

• Like 2

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

>

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @cbbaron said:

> > > This might be un popular but I've found Colin Montgomerie good on tv

> >

> > I agree, I have always enjoyed his very gentleman like commentary.

>

> Monty is brilliant. His bits on the set from time to time over the past several years have been great. Funny, insightful, smart - he's great.

I wonder how well he would be received. While I think he would be a great on course personality, I wonder if he could handle the day to day grind of it.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> >

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > @cbbaron said:

> > > > This might be un popular but I've found Colin Montgomerie good on tv

> > >

> > > I agree, I have always enjoyed his very gentleman like commentary.

> >

> > Monty is brilliant. His bits on the set from time to time over the past several years have been great. Funny, insightful, smart - he's great.

>

> I wonder how well he would be received. While I think he would be a great on course personality, I wonder if he could handle the day to day grind of it.

I don't see him doing any on course stuff, strictly in the booth or round table type stuff.

I'd love to see Kostis stay, McCord isn't what he used to be but still barable, and Feherty is the worst now days. "Fame" sure went to that guy's head. He used to be one of my favorites because of some of his one-liners, now he's all about promoting himself and his show and has gone off the deep end.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank