McCord and Kostis not Returning to CBS

Holy Moses

> @golfer07840 said:

> > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > I'll miss Gary McCord. He's one of my favorite tower announcers ever, right up there with Ben Wright.

> > >

> > > I agree that Tony Romo will be a replacement. Although he still needs to sign a new deal with CBS for football. That ends after this season.

> > >

> > > I assume Kostis wasn't renewed because the Konica Minolta Bizhub can now talk.

> >

> > There's no way that Romo gets the gig even though a hire like that might bring more non-traditional golfers to the CBS telecast. As good as he is in the NFL on CBS booth and as a golfer, he doesn't know enough about the Tour and on-course commentating to get that job.

> >

> >

>

> Truth is, Romo isn't even that good at football. Never shuts up and lets the game breathe.

Then he fits right in with the typical golf broadcast.

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @redfirebird08 said:

> > > @Sixcat said:

> > > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > > @Sixcat said:

> > > > > Personally, I believe this is the opening act of what will be wholesale changes for CBS Golf prior to coming back in January. More changes will follow!

> > > >

> > > > What changes are you expecting?

> > >

> > > I don't expect changes in the booth. Nantz will be there until he decides not to be. Faldo will be there at least through his current contract. The PGA Tour has made no secret, they are looking at alternative ways to distribute content. Given the ever-changing nature of content viewing, it's becoming more and more important to stream in order to remain relevant. The PGA Tour is discussing the possibility of renewing with CBS if Viacom will turn TruTV or another channel into the "PGA Tour Network." https://awfulannouncing.com/golf/pga-tour-to-begin-bid-process-for-rights-deals-all-of-which-are-up-after-2021.html

> > >

> > > In a nutshell, I believe CBS will begin changing the way broadcasts are produced in an effort to win the PGA Tour over. Otherwise, the PGA Tour may buy Golf Channel and CBS will be frozen out altogether. Especially considering NBC is ahead of the game (see link provided).

> > >

> > > https://www.pgatour.com/company/2019/10/07/live-streaming-every-shot-live-during-the-players-championship-2020.html

> > >

> >

> > I think they should just buy Golf Channel. That's a better move than creating a 2nd golf network.

>

> The Golf Channel is already owned by NBC Sports Group. It's not for sale.

>

If the price is right, everything is for sale. Golf Channel has been bought before and, if someone has enough money, it will be bought again.

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @Sixcat said:

> > > @redfirebird08 said:

> > > > @Sixcat said:

> > > > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > > > @Sixcat said:

> > > > > > Personally, I believe this is the opening act of what will be wholesale changes for CBS Golf prior to coming back in January. More changes will follow!

> > > > >

> > > > > What changes are you expecting?

> > > >

> > > > I don't expect changes in the booth. Nantz will be there until he decides not to be. Faldo will be there at least through his current contract. The PGA Tour has made no secret, they are looking at alternative ways to distribute content. Given the ever-changing nature of content viewing, it's becoming more and more important to stream in order to remain relevant. The PGA Tour is discussing the possibility of renewing with CBS if Viacom will turn TruTV or another channel into the "PGA Tour Network." https://awfulannouncing.com/golf/pga-tour-to-begin-bid-process-for-rights-deals-all-of-which-are-up-after-2021.html

> > > >

> > > > In a nutshell, I believe CBS will begin changing the way broadcasts are produced in an effort to win the PGA Tour over. Otherwise, the PGA Tour may buy Golf Channel and CBS will be frozen out altogether. Especially considering NBC is ahead of the game (see link provided).

> > > >

> > > > https://www.pgatour.com/company/2019/10/07/live-streaming-every-shot-live-during-the-players-championship-2020.html

> > > >

> > >

> > > I think they should just buy Golf Channel. That's a better move than creating a 2nd golf network.

> >

> > This interview on the Shotgun Start is more in-depth and informative than I could ever be. The interview begins at the 27:30 mark.

> >

> > http://shotgunstart.libsyn.com/an-interview-with-john-ourand-of-sbj-on-pga-tour-tv-rights-negotiations

>

> Interesting interview. The piece of this that confuses me is the desire of the Tour to own a broadcast company, like the Golf Channel. The Tour is a non-profit organization. How does a non-profit own or have an ownership stake in a profit-making business?

>

It'll be interesting to see how the Tour decides to go into the new world of broadcast/streaming content. But MLB, NFL, SEC, ACC, PAC12, BIG all have their own networks and are all non-profit leagues. It's nothing new, really. I just don't completely understand how it's done from a profit/compliance standpoint.

The most interesting part of the interview to me was how the Tour openly stated how unhappy they were with Golf Channel to Mr. Ourand. The quote was something to the effect of "the Tour has the perception, Golf Channel is printing money off the backs of PGA Tour licensed content. Why can't we keep our content for ourselves and distribute it as we see fit?" I'm paraphrasing, of course!

Fred Couples doesn't play much anymore, maybe his buddy Nantz can convince him to sit in on a few tournaments.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

Personally, I don't believe CBS keeps the Masters following the next contract cycle. But that's just my opinion. The Masters has spent millions perfecting their streaming content over the past decade. So much so, every shot by every player in the field was available to stream this year!

The folks in Augusta are ready and willing to take over total and complete control of their content. Listen to the interview in the Shotgun Start link I provided. Ourand goes into some detail about how many CEO's who happen to be Augusta National members are in the streaming/broadcast business. Including the new management group at ESPN. Imagine Masters and/or PGA Tour coverage available as part of the ESPN+ subscription, for example. Plus, Masters streaming coverage is by-far-and-away better than anything else in professional sports! People will subscribe to that. 750,000 people at $19.95 a pop (which is $15 million) subscribed to the shitshow that was "The Match" featuring Tiger and Phil. Imagine how many people worldwide would subscribe to The Masters for the whole week?!?!?

> @Sixcat said:

> Personally, I don't believe CBS keeps the Masters following the next contract cycle.

The CBS/Masters relationship is year-by-year, isn't it? According to Wikipedia, it's a series of one year contracts. ANGC already has total control over their content. What amazes me is how much of it they give away for free.

> @Sixcat said:

> Personally, I don't believe CBS keeps the Masters following the next contract cycle. But that's just my opinion. The Masters has spent millions perfecting their streaming content over the past decade. So much so, every shot by every player in the field was available to stream this year!

>

> The folks in Augusta are ready and willing to take over total and complete control of their content. Listen to the interview in the Shotgun Start link I provided. Ourand goes into some detail about how many CEO's who happen to be Augusta National members are in the streaming/broadcast business. Including the new management group at ESPN. Imagine Masters and/or PGA Tour coverage available as part of the ESPN+ subscription, for example. Plus, Masters streaming coverage is by-far-and-away better than anything else in professional sports! People will subscribe to that. 750,000 people at $19.95 a pop (which is $15 million) subscribed to the shitshow that was "The Match" featuring Tiger and Phil. Imagine how many people worldwide would subscribe to The Masters for the whole week?!?!?

Next contract cycle? The Masters is a 1 year deal. So you think Augusta jumps out of the TV game after the 2020 Masters? It seems too early for that kind of drastic move.

I wasn't thinking in terms of "year to year." I meant by the time the next regular Tour coverage begins in whatever broadcast/streaming form it evolves into. In other words, CBS won't have a chance to keep The Masters if they have no other coverage besides the PGA. The Masters will use that opportunity to go in whatever direction they choose.

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @Sixcat said:

> > Personally, I don't believe CBS keeps the Masters following the next contract cycle.

>

> The CBS/Masters relationship is year-by-year, isn't it? According to Wikipedia, it's a series of one year contracts. ANGC already has total control over their content. What amazes me is how much of it they give away for free.

>

>

>

They give as much of it away for free because they have those few sponsors they let get a little bit of air time paying the insane money they do. I will never forget the year they basically let them all out of it and did their own thing when them being a men's only club was a very hot topic. ANGC has more money than they know what to do with, as proven by the fact that they spend whatever they need to for improvements and expansions. All things considered, they know exactly what they are going to get from CBS at this point and they have basically told them exactly how they are going to present it, that letting the CBS people do the leg work is easier than them dealing with all of it on their own.

> @Sixcat said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > > @Sixcat said:

> > > > @redfirebird08 said:

> > > > > @Sixcat said:

> > > > > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > > > > @Sixcat said:

> > > > > > > Personally, I believe this is the opening act of what will be wholesale changes for CBS Golf prior to coming back in January. More changes will follow!

> > > > > >

> > > > > > What changes are you expecting?

> > > > >

> > > > > I don't expect changes in the booth. Nantz will be there until he decides not to be. Faldo will be there at least through his current contract. The PGA Tour has made no secret, they are looking at alternative ways to distribute content. Given the ever-changing nature of content viewing, it's becoming more and more important to stream in order to remain relevant. The PGA Tour is discussing the possibility of renewing with CBS if Viacom will turn TruTV or another channel into the "PGA Tour Network." https://awfulannouncing.com/golf/pga-tour-to-begin-bid-process-for-rights-deals-all-of-which-are-up-after-2021.html

> > > > >

> > > > > In a nutshell, I believe CBS will begin changing the way broadcasts are produced in an effort to win the PGA Tour over. Otherwise, the PGA Tour may buy Golf Channel and CBS will be frozen out altogether. Especially considering NBC is ahead of the game (see link provided).

> > > > >

> > > > > https://www.pgatour.com/company/2019/10/07/live-streaming-every-shot-live-during-the-players-championship-2020.html

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I think they should just buy Golf Channel. That's a better move than creating a 2nd golf network.

> > >

> > > This interview on the Shotgun Start is more in-depth and informative than I could ever be. The interview begins at the 27:30 mark.

> > >

> > > http://shotgunstart.libsyn.com/an-interview-with-john-ourand-of-sbj-on-pga-tour-tv-rights-negotiations

> >

> > Interesting interview. The piece of this that confuses me is the desire of the Tour to own a broadcast company, like the Golf Channel. The Tour is a non-profit organization. How does a non-profit own or have an ownership stake in a profit-making business?

> >

>

> It'll be interesting to see how the Tour decides to go into the new world of broadcast/streaming content. But MLB, NFL, SEC, ACC, PAC12, BIG all have their own networks and are all non-profit leagues. It's nothing new, really. I just don't completely understand how it's done from a profit/compliance standpoint.

>

> The most interesting part of the interview to me was how the Tour openly stated how unhappy they were with Golf Channel to Mr. Ourand. The quote was something to the effect of "the Tour has the perception, Golf Channel is printing money off the backs of PGA Tour licensed content. Why can't we keep our content for ourselves and distribute it as we see fit?" I'm paraphrasing, of course!

The part I found interesting (and the part that will cause RAGE in this forum) is that the tour is happy with how NBC and CBS broadcast golf. Yes, all those commercials, interviews with sponsors, Konica Minolta Biz Hubs, updates on the Aon Risk Reward Challenge, and everything else that get comments every week. The tour is happy with the broadcasts.

We might know in the next 90 days or so how the tv future of golf will look. I think NBC is still the front runner. They could net most of it, make an ownership deal with Golf Channel and have content ready for their new Peacock service next spring. CBS or Fox would take the parts of the season NBC can't fit. My guess here is that Fox replaces CBS. They're looking to add sports content and I'm not sure if the new Viacom/CBS wants to spend the money. I can see Amazon getting exclusive rights for a minor tour to see if they can make golf broadcasts work for the next deal. I can't see Warner getting it as that would leave the Tour in a lame duck situation for two years and I doubt the Tour wants to leave broadcast tv just yet. The wildcard is Disney. They've got the broadcast network, the digital outlet and a cable channel that can be converted. They also can come in early if NBC and/or CBS wants out quickly because they already know how to broadcast golf.

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @Sixcat said:

> > Personally, I don't believe CBS keeps the Masters following the next contract cycle.

>

> The CBS/Masters relationship is year-by-year, isn't it? According to Wikipedia, it's a series of one year contracts. ANGC already has total control over their content. What amazes me is how much of it they give away for free.

>

>

>

Yep, The Masters can change networks any year.

The Masters probably leaves tens of millions of dollars on the table every year.

> @Sixcat said:

> I wasn't thinking in terms of "year to year." I meant by the time the next regular Tour coverage begins in whatever broadcast/streaming form it evolves into. In other words, CBS won't have a chance to keep The Masters if they have no other coverage besides the PGA. The Masters will use that opportunity to go in whatever direction they choose.

That's the scenario Disney wants to see, Bob Iger will fly to Augusta to make that presentation personally. I think Disney wants to broadcast The Masters more than they want to broadcast the PGA Tour.

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @Sixcat said:

> > I wasn't thinking in terms of "year to year." I meant by the time the next regular Tour coverage begins in whatever broadcast/streaming form it evolves into. In other words, CBS won't have a chance to keep The Masters if they have no other coverage besides the PGA. The Masters will use that opportunity to go in whatever direction they choose.

>

> That's the scenario Disney wants to see, Bob Iger will fly to Augusta to make that presentation personally. I think Disney wants to broadcast The Masters more than they want to broadcast the PGA Tour.

Yep! ESPN+, Hulu and Disney in a "one stop shop" for all your streaming content needs.

> @2ball said:

> > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > Their contracts were not renewed. Who should be their replacements?

> >

> > https://golfweek.com/2019/10/26/gary-mccord-peter-kostis-wont-return-cbs-golf-team/

> >

> >

>

> No one. Get rid of Ferherty too. He just rambles and thinks he's funny.

Right on.

Amanda Balionis should get a promotion. She's got a good smile and shows a lot of energy.

Last time I went to a tournament, I saw Kostis coming out of port-a-john.

He looked hungover......................maybe he just got a bad burrito the evening previous.

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> Gary McCord with further details.

>

> Keep reading to the end for the Cronkite part.

>

> https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gary-mccord-speaks-outloudlyabout-being-dropped-from-cbs-golf-team-bottom-line-they-fired-me

>

>

> Immelmans (both) and Love possibly moving in

Immelman plus Faldo. Seems like they want to keep that yearly contract with Augusta.

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> Gary McCord with further details.

>

> Keep reading to the end for the Cronkite part.

>

> https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gary-mccord-speaks-outloudlyabout-being-dropped-from-cbs-golf-team-bottom-line-they-fired-me

>

>

> Immelmans (both) and Love possibly moving in

Gary McCord and Walter Cronkite basically the same level.... did he say that with a straight face?

Anytime employment ends one or both parties is usually going to feel like they were hosed. It's the nature of the beast.

And don't believe anything anyone tells you verbally. If it's not in writing, it's worthless.....

And I plan to be at the WMPO in February. Can't wait to see what McCord pulls. I'm guessing a banner pulled by a plane.....

> @Sixcat said:

> Yep! ESPN+, Hulu and Disney in a "one stop shop" for all your streaming content needs.

I know I now make up a small and everyday getting smaller percentage of the population in the US but I do not have access to reliable internet necessary for streaming at home. Sounds strange but we live far enough on the other side of the holler that there is no cable, no broadband and even satellite internet does not work due to trees and lack of line of sight to the satellite. About the only option is dial-up and we don't have a land line to our home either. No not Amish. I just live out in the county in rural America.

> @capking said:

> > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > Gary McCord with further details.

> >

> > Keep reading to the end for the Cronkite part.

> >

> > https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gary-mccord-speaks-outloudlyabout-being-dropped-from-cbs-golf-team-bottom-line-they-fired-me

> >

> >

> > Immelmans (both) and Love possibly moving in

>

> Gary McCord and Walter Cronkite basically the same level.... did he say that with a straight face?

He didn't say that. Don't play that game.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

I honestly have never watched a sports broadcast based on the commentators or host or analyst or sideline interviewer etc. But I have muted plenty of broadcasts based on those things. All of the talking heads are slowly being replaced by new ways of getting the info graphically and thru streaming. Worse than the commentators is how CBS dumped all the camera operators and technicians. Gary and Bob had a great run. But everyone is replaceable and few organizations deal with layoffs and firings well.

The irony is these same organizations complain when employees quit them. The employers moan about "no loyalty". Where do they think employees learned that behavior?

> @DavoMS said:

> If they wanted those two guys gone, it could have been handled much differently.

Exactly. I don't know why some folks are happy two guys got fired.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

> @tbowles411 said:

> > @DavoMS said:

> > If they wanted those two guys gone, it could have been handled much differently.

>

> Exactly. I don't know why some folks are happy two guys got fired.

I was thinking the same thing. Those guys were good at a job that is very hard to do.

Immelman's squeaky voice and Love's total lack of charisma is not the answer.

• Like 1

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

> @AmazinBlue said:

> Fred Couples doesn't play much anymore, maybe his buddy Nantz can convince him to sit in on a few tournaments.

Talk about snooze fest....

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @AmazinBlue said:

> > Fred Couples doesn't play much anymore, maybe his buddy Nantz can convince him to sit in on a few tournaments.

>

> Talk about snooze fest....

Do you mean for the folks watching, or for Freddy? I'm not sure he would be able to stay awake for the whole broadcast.

> @DavoMS said:

> If they wanted those two guys gone, it could have been handled much differently. I hope CBS gets a ton of blowback on this. Remember, this is the network that had Moonves in charge.

Nothing changes unless people vote with their wallets. Don't watch golf and they will eventually change.

I used to enjoy watching golf but I don't bother anymore because there's way too commercials.

Personally, I don’t care for the CBS telecasts. I really enjoy European PGA telecasts. They know golf, and know when to keep it zipped. CBS could learn something from those folks.

Callaway Rogue Driver 
TEE E8 Beta 3W
Callaway Epic Hybrid 
PING i210 irons 4-gap recoil 780 F4 smacwrap
PING Glide 3.0 54*, 58* Glide 3.0 Eye 2
SeeMore MFGP Nashville Studio Series
Titleist ProV1x
All grips Golf Pride Tour Velvet plus 4