2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Please Delete, Lock or whatever..... Kind regards Paddy

Paddy_2_Iron

My last post and I'll drop it.....

First of all I was fitted for a driver it works I am keeping it even though today was awful.... Wedges the same. I forced myself to hit the irons, absolutely awful results. Just terrible, I am not taking them back I am throwing them away. I don't even want to look at them.

I already asked for a return on the 3 hybrid and it I was told no in a "nice" way.

Why I am so resistant on PGA Superstore, because to be quite honest I don't think they know what they hell they are doing either. At least the people I worked with. They seem disinterested and wanted to put me in pings right off the bat. Which is fine but I felt I was doing them a dis service when I asked to see other clubs. They recommended a hybrid over and over and I kept fighting it and they eventually talked me into and I ended up bringing it back.

Same with Golf Galaxy, my daughter plays highschool (well used to) and they blew through the fitting and got her set up with a ping 5 wood 400 with a senior shaft. Then I mentioned it might be long and he said what do you want to cut it down. ???? Um isn't that their job to help with that? Not impressed, still purchased the 250 dollar 5 wood and got burned.

To be honest the whole consumer experience has been nothing short of awful. In fact the best IMO has been the local fitter, but I digress because the irons are RUBBISH like Londorer stated.

My set plays, except for the irons. I'll keep my Hawkeyes until the holidays pass by and then I'll begin to research some high handicap irons. My last resort is going to be a local club (not the fitter) has a Mizuno fitter come out quarterly. I'm thinking about going that route.

And TBH The advice given has been explored.

Returns clubs, Can't

Sunk cost moving on, I am (Irons in the trash can)

Go to fitters, tried Superstore and GG not impressed. There is an Edwin Watts, thoughts?

Get new clubs from companies that have high R&D budget. That's the plan, but that's a broad spectrum.

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

If you think that Golf Galaxy, PGA Superstore, and Masterfit all are terrible, I don't really know what to say. You've been "fit" (loosely or not) by 3 separate locations and had the same result; you were ultimately unhappy with the experience. Perhaps you might be better off just to go it alone and grab yourself some irons via self fitting. You have the Big Bertha iron now, how do you hit that? Not just distance, but accuracy, height, spin, etc?

Edwin Watts does a decent job, but they still aren't "fitters", they are retail salespeople who just happen to like golf (in general). All big box retail is like this. If you want to take it seriously I would pay for a fitting somewhere (be it PGA Superstore, Golf Galaxy, Edwin Watts, a local pro, Club Champion, whatever). You won't be bound to buy what they recommend but at least it will give you a decent idea of what works for you and what doesn't and you can then go ahead and pick from a whole host of options on eBay, Kijiji, or in the used sections of stores.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

@WristySwing
The Hawkeyes are actually pretty decent clubs with my swing. I advance the ball pretty consistent, the hook is usually tame enough to not get me in trouble (at least my miss are on the same side every time). My confidence is pretty good with them, ball flight is high. They don't go as far as the MF but who cares....
I'm a little nervous to get the stiff because my driver swing speed is only ~95, usually. Everything I have read says you want to eerrror on the side of caution and go with more flex not less.
They do hook sometimes, but it could be my club face shutting as well as the shaft. This can occur with the 9 iron or 5 etc...
Replaced the hybrid with the Titleist 5 wood as well....

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

@Paddy_2_Iron you mention your goal is to break 100 but your information shows a 19 handicap. Are you sure your handicap is 19? I only mention it because as blasphemous as it may sound, I wouldn’t even worry about getting “fit” if you’re a 30 handicap (struggling to break 100). At that point in your game, you could hit almost anything. The focus should be lessons and developing a (somewhat) repeatable swing. As long as something fits you “statically” you should be ok.
I highly doubt your hook is caused by too weak shafts if your driver swing speed is less than 100 mph. More likely than not your path and/or face angle is to blame.
Finally, many moons ago (when your Hawkeye VFT we’re new ?) I worked at the dreaded Golf Galaxy as a fitter. Two things you should be aware of:
1) Not everyone there is a clown. Some are great knowledgeable people with extensive training and backgrounds. You need to talk to them and find that person.
2) I used to spend hours upon hours with those Hawkeye VFT irons. Even if you’re a 19 and not a 25-30 handicap I can 100% assure you that those irons aren’t holding you back at all. Despite being almost 20 years old, they are plenty forgiving. I could easily pick those up tomorrow and shoot in the 80’s without missing a beat (I’m a legit 13 but have been a 9). Those were probably Callaways most forgiving offering until 2007’ish and the Fusions.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

If you want to make the 2 hour drive to Moon Golf in Melbourne, I will even meet you there for a fitting. There’s nobody I trust more than these guys. I even had a good friend fly in just for a fitting at Moon and spend a long weekend with me golfing.

I just had another friend this past Monday go for a driver fitting. He’s a guy who shoots 68 for 9 and couldn’t hit his old Covert to save his life. After 50 minutes he comes out of the fitting with a Dtype M6 hitting drives over 200 yards and eliminating the right side of the course - while also getting a few good instructional tips along the way.

One session at Moon and you will see what a real fitting experience is like. In a no pressure to buy anything setting.

@Paddy_2_Iron here is a link to the Top 100 Clubfitters in the country. They’re listed by state so see what is available near you. Keep in mind what I said earlier about big-box retail locations: some fitters are amazing others are not. Go in and ask the general manager straight up who their best most experienced fitter is. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/clubfitter-directory-americas-best-clubfitters/amp

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

@dxdgenert
Thanks a lot for the good intel, I'm going to stick with the hawkeyes for now. I feel comfortable with them and like you said and you are correct they aren't the problem most likely.....
Only reason I got the components was the pro mentioned that I had a positive AOA w/ the Hawkeyes and when I swung the components I had a negative AOA. So I thought well hell these are the right clubs I am hitting the ball with an descending blow!
Only rounds I play with people I put into my SWINGU app and it has me at a 20.3 now. I play this one track and I always seem to shit the bed on a few holes blowing me up to a 102, 105, 101 etc... It's in planned community and is NARROW and my drive can get erratic at times. Not to mention my short came about 10 in can sometimes be REALLY bad. But to your point 2 out of the 4 par 3's Im hitting a GIR or close and the 5 iron I use on the par 5s to advance my ball and it goes probably 165 carry. The track is 6000 so not to shabby.
Some of these courses around here have some large fairways and those I can get near 45 a 9 on a really good day. 48 for at least one of the 9's isn't all that uncommon for me.
Back to the Callaways: I kind of like them to be honest. My wife's uncle had some knockoff ones ( I mean components ;)) and he raved about them so I decided to pick up a set of the real ones since they only cost 100 or so....
I may get them re gripped though, I hate gloves and I use this velvet type grip from tour grip or some brand (you can see it in my pictures) and I really think that will help me with m overall grip.
Take care
Patrick

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

I suggest we end the consulting comments.

The OP is not hearing what people are saying, and is in denial regarding these crooks taking advantage of him, as well as his own skill level.

I’m guessing most of us, at one time or another, have experienced similar situations, albeit at different levels based on legitimate skills.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

My man, just my opinion here. at that HC you can't be begging your gear to play the game for you. You get all cought up in th numbers from some hack fitter and got fucked. Just get on ebay and grab some GI irons and play until you groove a swing worth fitting. till then blast away with stuff you think is close enough BUT high quality.

I love how that one word doesn't get censored but other more innocuous ones do sometimes.

• Like 1

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

His advice was to the point crystal clear. I give that post a 10 out of a 10.

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

Can’t someone lock this up? This might be the worst topic in the history of GolfWRX!

WITB

Serious?

IMHO, I would print this thread and take it into the 'fitter' and if he is not the owner of the business, also show it to them.

You've been ripped off. Either the fitting was not right, or the clubs supplied were not what you were fitted with.

I'd be getting my money back.

Then stop replying to it.
The reason I won't take the irons back is I am afraid I might damage my relationship with the fitters etc... They are nice people and helped me in other parts of my game. Wedges and Driver. 3 hybrid is a wet fart and the irons, well we already know about them.....
My friend gave me a very new TS2 5 wood, great club, regular flex. I went back to my hawkeyes and like @dxdgenert stated already which I agree with. At my current handicap level stick with the hawkeyes is probably the right move. They are very forgiving clubs.

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

@hack2489 I didn't actually tell them, I am avoiding conflict I like to go up there and they are really helpful. Plus good guys to talk shop with, just really disappointed in the irons. And quite frankly the 3 hybrid too.....
Mizuno wedges fitted with the shafts are super nice, although I have removed the 52 from my bag, which was one of their heads, I want to keep my wedges uniform. The driver has been pretty nice too, walloping 240 carry.

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

You do realize that you just complimented a golf club that was given to you, that you were not fit for, and you are happy with it. That alone should speak volumes to you.

Yet irons you were "fitted" for are so far off you want to throw them away. The fitters will not stand by their service, and you defend them as nice guys?.

I hate to break it to you, but most deceptive and fraudulent companies are very good at making a good first impression. And they appear nice and helpful until they have your money. The irons and drivers they sell are old tech compared to todays equipment. Their "Master Fit" shafts are rebadged overstock and overruns. In both cases they get the gear for pennies on the dollar. Then mark it up under the guise of them being "custom fit ".

To each their own. But I will just share this paraphrased wisdom with you about going back to them in the future. They fooled you once...shame on them.......If they fool you again........................

• Like 1

I can understand some people do not like conflict. However, I'm struggling with your reasons as to why.

If they are 'nice people' and 'good guys' and 'helpful', then surely they will help you with getting the iron and hybrid issue fixed.

Could you also confirm / advise / comment as to the 'pro' shooting the 8 pars in a row ... was it out on an actual golf course? Or was it on a simulator?

Paddy me lad,@dxdgenert is right. If you're struggling to break 100 you are not a 19 handicap.
Maybe too late now but you should have kept ALL your old club and taken lessons. Once you have something resembling a decent swing, then you can get fitted for new stuff.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Stop responding, or this will never end!

WITB

At the risk of keeping this thread going, my thought is that the best idea would be to go to a Mizuno demo day. A Mizuno rep can use the shaft optimizer and let you demo some different club heads. You'll come away knowing what type of shaft you need and what type of iron heads suit your eye and skill level. You can use that information to find a really good match in an older model set of irons.

Also...I don't think you're trolling. The place you went to is real and they certainly push their branded Chinese knock-off clubs online and from looking at reviews (probably a good many fake reviews). It's good that you like your driver. If it gives you confidence, then just enjoy it. As for the irons, they should have a return policy or guarantee to back up their products. If not, that's a big red flag. If you think you're going to mess up a relationship with those nice folks by trying to return them, take the chance anyways. If they react poorly, then you'll know they were only nice because they wanted your money and it was never truly about helping you. I understand you wanting to throw out the irons and be done with them, but you deserve better than that. Try to get your money back and see what type of folks you were dealing with. Hopefully they would value you as a customer and do the right thing.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST190 9.5* w/Diamana ZF
Titleist 917 F2 18* w/Tensei Pro Blue
Titleist 818 H1 21* w/Tensei Pro Blue
Mizuno MP-18 Fli-Hi 4 w/C-Taper Lite
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-P w/C-Taper Lite
Mizuno s18 50*, 54*, 58* w/C-Taper Lite
Ping Sigma G Tess