• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Great write up! I would have been way off with guessing...

May I ask about the shafts? Was there back and forth with different models/weights? Or did the AMTs get picked quickly based off of ball speeds? Atmos due to preference? Was this the first time you went shorter?

Looking forward to hearing about the wedges and the fitting. Travel safely.

• Like 1

He started with Dynamic Gold s300 and x 100 because I told him that's what I've always been most comfortable with. I told him that everything else I tried (and believe me it's been everything) never felt as good as old faithful. Feel and confidence are important. We tried a couple of others (modus, project) but both were instantly worse and didn't feel right to me. Basically, he didn't need to waste a lot of time trying everything because he knew what would work quite quickly.

As far as Atmos, he said I was the first person he fit into these shaft in months. I came in with one in my driver and the driver feel, flight, and numbers were near perfect so he tried them first. Once we got the length right in the hybrid and 2 fairway woods, they perfectly matched the window we were looking for and I loved the feel. No need to go further. I'm sure there are 10 other shafts that could work similarly but the point of a good fitting is not to be a kid in a candy shop trying one of everything. It's to get results. Now that I know the weight, length, and bend profile, I can try any number of other shafts in my own time. Maybe if we had 3 hours each for irons and woods we would have experimented more. I'm glad we didn't though. Get the feel, length, weight right. Then get the carry distance, peak height and decent angles right and that's that. Too many people want to try everything out there. I was the worst for that. I told myself that wasn't important going into this fitting. It was more important to me that I learned as much as I could rather than tried as many clubs as I could. Believe me that was hard for me! LOL.

• Like 2

Great stuff. Thanks for the detail. Could you expand a little more on the turf interaction between MB, CB, and T100. That is an area I’m not sure I have right as I believe it likely that I tend to quickly adapt to “making it work” as opposed to using what compliments my natural tendencies and as a result I’m not sure I truly know what right looks/feels like.

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

For me, the blade cut into the turf a little too quick which made it feel clanky rather than crisp. Divot was deeper. With t 100 it was better but not quite right. It was all about feel. Understand that none was dramatically different. CB was best for me but could be different for you. The interesting thing was that putting the right club in my hand actually made me hit the sweet spot more consistently. It had nothing to do with the club being more forgiving, it was more than having the right set up made you hit the middle more . The blade, the CB, and the T100, are all basically the same amount of forgiving as far as I’m concerned especially in the mid and short irons. It’s more about personal preference with turf interaction. My experience shouldn’t really influence yours though. Would be better to take the three models out on the range and hit them yourself. Again, hit off grass when testing or no point!

Thank so much for this write up....while not a +3 (8 cap), I'm about your age and been playing most of my life. I "think" I know what I like and what works, but have never been fitted like this. This is such an eye opener. Any chance you can keep this going as you get the new set on the course...what works and maybe what doesn't? Sounds like you may hit with a different mindset as well. Looking forward to hearing more about performance going forward.

• Like 1

Wow! the wedge write up was just as good as the irons, thank you for sharing again! Amazing information!!

you mentioned you had long arms and they shortened your clubs 3/4”... would it be possible to share your height vs measurement of wing span(distance between tip of middle fingers when arms are stretched out to the side)?

My arms are longer as well and wanted to compare, they never adjusted the length of any of my clubs..

was length adjustment mentioned when testing drivers or good as is?

this fitting just sounds like a next level fitting.

ahh thank you! We are almost identical in measure except my wind span is 6.. don’t know if my hands are considered low at impact but that gives me a good understanding not to start cutting my irons and wedges on my own..

this is all really interesting, even your style of practice opens my eyes to a different Style of routine this year.. thank you for everything!

• Like 1

Thanks again for the reply. Recognize every swing is different. I was just curious how you went about assessing the turf interaction. I’ve had good luck with both AP2 and CB. MB works fine in summer but when the course is a bit more damp I benefit from a little more junk in the trunk as my most common miss is a little steep and fat. This inevitably leads to a series of thinned shots during over-compensation...

BTW, we have very similar height, inseam, wingspan. I’m intrigued by the cornucopia of club lengths you’ve got going on: over in driver, std in long fairway, way short in other fairway, ... Did he mess with swingweight at all or did you just swing what it came up with at adjustment? I’ve found as shafts get lighter than say 60ish in driver or 120ish in irons I have to bump the SW to D4 or so to feel the head.

• Like 1

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

Thank you for taking the time to write this! I was getting excited here reading your wedge fitting, waiting to see what was going in the bag!

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Got done with the first page and all I could think was get the heck off the darn horse! Enjoying all of it but really wanted to hear about the wedge fitting and just learned some new stuff from the writeup. Really, really great stuff. I peeked at their site the last time we were out in the Irvine area and was sorely tempted, but just couldn't make it work and I really didn't want to go and have it be just another fitting, so to speak.

Best posts of 2020 on the site so far, great stuff to read on a winter's evening watching golf from Hawaii!

• Like 1

This part is so true. In my fitting with Glen he told me in 30 years of fitting he has yet to see a single player hi it a shot standing erect with their arms at their sides ?

It's all about impact position. I'm 6'4" and have always played 1/2 long and 2* upright. Just because there's what the measurements showed. During my fitting we got better results with -1/4 and 1 degree flat than the + length upright spec. . But got the most consistent results with standard length and lie. Something I don ever recall playing in my set.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

So now my dilemma is what to buy...

Before I knew I was getting this gift I’d ordered a set of mp 20! They’ve just arrived! So I guess I could try to trade them to Golftown and order a whole other set before even hitting them. What I had ordered Was MP 20 HMB from 3iron through 6 and MB from 7 through pw. They were with X 100 soft stepped. Makes each iron a bit softer for easier elevation.

the wedges are a simple issue. I can get sm7’s For about $65 per wedge and then just install the right shafts. The fitting was with the SM8 but they aren’t even released yet. Can’t imagine sm7 to be much different as long as I get the right grinds. Or I can just wait until spring... but I’m going on another golf trip in 4 weeks...

The trials of a golf club maniac...

We talked about swing weight a bit. I was concerned that taking length off of shaft would mess with it. He asked me if the weight felt “off “ at all while hitting the irons. It didn’t, felt better. He said that I was clearly hitting it better... swing weight was d-1. I normally have d3 but not because it’s “better” , just because I’m used to that. He said it looks like my transition improved when I got slightly lighter and slightly shorter. I agreed. He said he could get Titleist to build my clubs at D3 even though they were shorter but didn’t think that that was the best idea because of how I was hitting it.

Nice right up. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us.

And Amen to to not getting fit indoors hitting off of mats. Biggest mistake anyone could make, IMO.

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Sounds like a great experience Isaac. I especially liked the wedge fitting...I work very hard on my short game as I don't hit a lot of greens, so a good short game is important to me. I never understood how one could be fit for wedges hitting off mats, given the different bounces, grinds, etc, not to mention all the lies one can experience around the green.

I look forward to reading about what you decide on...hopefully you have some new clubs for your golf trip next month. :-)

• Like 1