Justin Rose leaving Honma ???

I posted this earlier, but will post again in response to this comment. I heard rumors that a little while back Rose flew in 5-6 coaches while in the Bahamas and gave them each a few hours with him to see who "worked best" with him. I don't remember who the coaches were. I'm not a huge fan of Foley. Though he's incredibly intelligent and great with TrackMan, I think a lot of his players end up getting too caught up in numbers and lose feel. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

if its true, I think its a good move from him. You're totally right, trackman number is not everything

Ping G430LST w/ TPT 14HIΒ 
Ping G430 Max w/ synergy green 80tx
Honma TW-U forged 18* W/ KBS Prototype 95X
CallawayΒ TCB w/ LAgolf L-series 5
Titleist SM8 50/56Β  W/ LAgolf

Callaway Jaws Raw 60Z /Kbs 610
Axis 1 Rose model 35.5''
Swing: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRK_GXV7rDg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRK_GXV7rDg[/url] (Driver FV)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pszXHplqx4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pszXHplqx4[/url] (DTL)

This whole thing with Rose and guys with entire bag deals sparked something in my head. A guy like Brooks, arguably the hottest player on tour the last couple years, hasn’t had a bag deal, but he has a clothing deal with Nike. I have to imagine that he gets more money for wearing their clothing than he would get from say, TaylorMade for playing their clubs, right? The obvious thought is β€œwell do both.” However, if that Nike deal pays enough(I’m sure it does), why not just stick to clothing deals and play clubs you’re comfortable with? This goes for most guys. Maybe I’m wildly off base.

Part of the reason for not signing is when Nike got out of the hard goods business. They promised their staff they would pay out their contracts. Unless they signed a deal with another OEM. So Brooks is not being as altruistic as you may think. He is just getting to have his cake and eat it too.

he is getting the deal signed with Nike, but gets to play whatever he wants.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Ah, so you’re saying if Nike still made hard goods, Brooks and all those Nike guys would be forced to play Nike clubs? Or am I getting that wrong? My thinking was, these guys should sign clothing deals(I.e. with Nike, Adidas, UA), etc) and play whatever clubs they desire. Like Spieth, for example, because those clothing deals are with companies who probably play significantly more than TaylorMade or whoever else.

Yes Brooks, Tiger, Rory and the other that had Nike deals would still be using Nike equipment per their contract. For some brands like TM their full staff members were signed to clubs and apparel. They had adidas apparel and TM clubs. For brands like UA it allowed Spieth to keep playing and sign with titleist because UA doesn’t make clubs.

When Adidas and TM split there were guys that were then able to sign other apparel deal like Day going to Nike.

Β 

Yes. They would depending on the length of their contract.

Β 

Jason Day was just a clothing deal. But Rory, Tiger, Tony Finau all had club deals.

Tony signed with ping, Tiger and Rory both signed with Taylormade. Now I think they are a bit different because Tiger and Rorys contracts were huge.

So I don’t know that signing with Taylormade really affected them.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Ok this has just been confirmed. He wil be using driving burrito to sand taco wedge. Cinnamon twist face putter. Mountain dew ball. All in a cardboard cupholder bag. All seriousness i just bought honma tw 747p irons. Havent got to hit them yet as far as a course. They seem really nice. They seem soft for cast club. They are a touch loud i think but im not sure. If im noticing it then it must be something becuase i usually dont notice that. They are a game improvment iron that is much smaller then the rest. Basically a players distance iron with a tad more forgiveness. We shall see though. Ill know after a round. Good news is i have 90day play guarentee or i can pick another set.

You know this has to be said more. The sooner you just play golf and stop tinkering and trying to find better the sooner your scores will be where you want. I think this applys to pros and weekend players. Im playing the best i ever have the past few years and thats since ive stop trying get "more lag" and "ball first" no matter what and "200 yard" sand wedge lol. The sooner you take out all of that and just replace it with logical thoughts that you can actually do the ball just starts flying how you intend. Basic things like squaring the clubface. Knowing your distances and what club to pull in what situation. Understanding different lies and how they will effect your shots. Sand shots. These are some of the normal things we should only focused on. The golf swing is pretty basic and easy if you make it easy. Its like baseball but on the floor and just take smooth cuts. Watching the pros makes you think you have to slam everyshot. Not true. Its very finesse kind of game. My longest drives are on some of the smoothest swings you wouldnt think would go more then 220 and thats because of better contact. Seeback in 1902 when i was 10... ok ok jk i will stop rambling now.

• Like 1

It really does. Mark Crossfield did a lot of videos during his time under contract to Titleist with tour pros which showed how many of them are messing around with one little thing on their clubs.

It's so easy to focus all your time and energy on something trivial to the detriment of the rest of your game.

Rose looked shattered the last few events he played. He's worked to get where he is so there's an element of rigidity in him, not as natural a swing as most others. When the pressure is on you subconsciously become more deliberate, more rigid. I think that's why the more he searches the less flow he'll have.

Anyway it'll be interesting to see what irons he ends up using if he is indeed released from his Honma contract.

If Rose is really leaving Honma, I wonder if there is more to it than just poor play due to equipment. I feel like there has been a number of examples of players changing brands and struggling at first. I know when Rory first moved to either Nike or TM (I forget which, time just blends together at this point), he struggled really bad. Obviously, not all situations are the same, but I wonder if it could be a similar situation with JR. It's really only been just over a year...

Rose won quickly in 2019 using Honma irons and played pretty well with his Honma gear throughout 2019 though not near his level of play in 2017 and 2018. Started off 2020 well with 2nd place start in his first event but had 3 M/C and a T56 in his next 4 starts. One of those starts was with TM gear.

Definitely is not the irons haven’t tried Honmas other stuff but their irons and wedges are very good and when you put your name on a club you should stand behind it. This is in regards to the Rose protos. I would think the driver performs as I am not sure anyone really makes a bad driver nowadays. Especially in the hands of a major winner.

Has there been any statement from either side? According to bdmac79 in this post on March 5th: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19383550/#Comment_19383550 Jonathan Wall reported that both sides would have statements but not till after the API out of respect for Arnold and his event.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-PΒ  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSXΒ  Β 

• 3 weeks later...

We've known this has been coming for a long time but Honma have officially announced Justin Rose & Honma have parted ways!

Β 

Edit - statement attached

screenshot-20200522-221954-twitter.jpg

DriverΒ - Taylormade SIM 10.5Β°

3 woodΒ - Titleist 910f 15Β°

Hybrid- Titleist 910hΒ°

IronsΒ - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

WedgesΒ - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

PutterΒ - Yes! Callie

BallΒ - Titleist Pro v1x

Everyone saw this coming, now finally official.

TM will prob jump on him and re-sign him, I bet

Titleist TSR3 10Β Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 5S

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 15*Β UST Mamiya Linq Purple 6F4

Titleist TS3 19Β Fujikura Fuel 85HB S

Titleist U500 4i Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 90 HY 6.0

Titleist 620MB 5-PWΒ AeroTech Steelfiber i95 S

Titleist Vokey Design SM9 52F, 58M True Temper DG S200

Scotty Cameron Teryllium 2 NewportΒ KBS GPS Tour 120 Rainbow
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

I dunno, its a weird position. Justin would need to be at the top of his game for anyone to want to pounce on him. Plus with the economic ramifications of COVID-19, I imagine most companies are going to tighten their purse strings for awhile.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0Β //Β Taylormade SIMΒ 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
TaylormadeΒ Stealth+Β 16*Β Ventus Black 8xΒ //Β Taylormade SIM Ti V2Β 16.5*Β Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8xΒ //Β Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOSTΒ Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22*Β Nippon GOSTΒ HybridΒ Tour XΒ 
BridgestoneΒ 
J40 DPC 4i-7iΒ 24*- 35*Β Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CBΒ 8i-PWΒ 39*- 48*Β Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind RawΒ 54*Β Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
VokeyΒ SM6Β 58*Β Oil CanΒ LowΒ BounceΒ K-GrindΒ Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red DotΒ || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Totally, agree that he'll stay a Free Agent for probably the rest of this year. With his Bank he doesn't need to jump to another OEM.

I'm sure Honma is glad they are not paying JR but this hurts their PR non the less. Bad PR is really hard to recover from. Fortunately their irons and wedges are awesome and they will be fine in the JDM market. Probably disappear in the NA market once all the stock is sold off. That's a bummer because their sticks are great!

Callaway Paradym TD 9.5* - Fuji Blue TR 6s & New Blue Velocore+ 6s

2021 Callaway UW 17* & 21* - Fuji Red Ventus Velocore 7X
Callaway Apex TCBΒ  4-pw - Steelfiber i110cw S hard stepped 1"

Callaway Jaws Forged TI red dots 52@50/56@55/60*& Jaws Raw Z grind 60*z, DG TI S400

2021 Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K DW & Eleven both at 33.5"
Ball: 2024 Callaway Chrome Tour X -tested, great feel & spin!

Β 

Β 

Β