2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Cheating

I'm not sure about the rest of the people on this board, but the only reason I play golf is because it's FUN...one reason I'll never play Woodland Hills CC again!

If you are a 19 (like me), I'd say you'll enjoy yourself a lot more if you stop being a stickler...I know I did once I realized I was never going to be a good golfer. Occasionally I'll have a great round (for me), or 9 holes, but for the most part I'm just too erratic to score well. Most, if not all, of the people I've played with have not improved (or gotten much worse) in the 30 plus years I've played with them...improving requires practice, lessons, and discipline...most of my friends just want to play 18. The good ones I play with all played college baseball - no surprise there.

And looking at your equipment, you carry a 2 iron? And a 3 and a 4? Mine are long since retired...and my 5 is on life support.

Golf has this aura of playing by the rules that other sports don’t have. So it creates this “old fashioned” notion that one must always play the ball where it lies, etc. And of course for tournaments or scored or competitive rounds, assuming stroke play, then yes you must do rub of the green and stroke and distance and play where it lay, etc.

But, I would surmise that a majority of golfers, especially newbies, will rarely play a competitive round and would enjoy the game more and benefit from “cheating” a lot. If you have a guy who can’t keep his ball on the planet, then just let him go drop near you somewhere and keep up as long as he and everyone else understands his score isn’t being counted in any competitive way. Let him move the ball out of plugged lies, etc. again as long as he understands that one day when he needs to card the score, he can’t do that.

I keep my scores even when playing alone by the ROG because I play to be competitive, not just for fun. I do occasionally give myself putts for time’s sake, or move the ball off of roots or rocks to avoid injury/damage. But I’m otherwise keeping, for my own purposes, a score that would for the most part translate well to a competitive round so that when I do compete, it won’t be so foreign.

But the game of golf could benefit a lot, in my opinion, from this “stuffy” and archaic and exacting view of what constitutes “real golf” for those entering the game as noobs. And then there’s the counterpoint that golf is about the only game in life where this view exists, and that makes golf both unique and useful for teaching values.

Since you're basically playing a version of golf where there are no rules and you aren't claiming a score, then I would say you are not cheating. Because how can you cheat if there are no rules. You're playing rule-less golf.

However I would argue that rule-based golf is the more real version of golf. And in that version, where the rules apply, you have to follow the rules or else you're a cheater.

Personally I get enjoyment from playing the more real, rules based version. I enjoy the challenge of playing from difficult lies. I enjoy the challenge of seeing what I can shoot when counting ALL of my strokes. Including penalty strokes and with no mulligans or gimmies. But, I used to play competitively so this is the form of golf I am used to.

If you're just out there to have fun and not claiming a score, then I don't see how you are cheating. I think a key component of cheating is trying to hide your infraction (see Patrick Reed from the waste area, jk :).

The only thing you may be cheating is yourself because your game could improve more from playing from tough lies and counting all shots and not giving yourself the mental handicap of knowing you can play a mulligan, etc.

I’ve played with a small handful of guys that conveniently forget strokes, and rake away 6 foot putts, and somehow always find easy lines to the hole from balls hit 50 yards deep into the woods.

Those guys ANNOY THE CRAP out of me. But if we are playing a casual round and aren’t playing for money or whatever, then my typical answer back is “Whatever you decide you want to score it, dude, as long as you can sleep at night. You’re only hurting yourself “. That usually gets them to conveniently remember the penalty stroke, etc.

Well, maybe it’s just the phase I’m in, but I’ve always been obsessed to improve to a level I can be proud of at the things I picked up.

Been playing the guitar for 30 years now and had a 4 year phase of practicing 4-6 hours a day as a teen. Got pretty good, my band came close to a major contract, then split up; lost interest after that but still playing occasionally.

Picked up hockey at 18, practiced like crazy, played on five teams from age 19-27. Got pretty good at it and then dialed it back but still playing beer league.

Then discovered golf at age 37. Went to the range daily but the learning curve is super steep, at a 19 hcp in my 3rd season now.

Maybe, in 5 years or so, I’ll dial it back, play a bag full of woods and hybrids and take it easier.

I never regretted any of it and enjoyed the blood, sweat and seeing results. And there’s people who see this as wasted energy and rather enjoy golf or whatever they do. And I respect that. I’m one of the other guys but try to not proselytize anyone.

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

If there ever was something to do away with, it's gimme-putts. I've seen too many people miss inside of 3 feet, too many times.... Inside a foot it's good, outside of that you're putting! If you cannot line up, close your eyes and putt the ball in, it's no gimme!

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I will agree with you on that end too.In another comment here I mentioned what us locals call "Tourist Rules" as far as hazards , drop zone rules and other local rules. Now when I was playing the Mini Tours down here we went strictly by USGA policy. Our tour director had rules sheets printed up and legal drop zones marked as well as GUR. Always at the players meetings he would go over the rules sheet and remind the local guys that maybe played the course frequently about USGA rules and zones Versus "Tourist Rules" . So since I retired from comps and big money matches and do not keep a stipulated handicap me and my buds basically do our own thing. I play with 3 or 4 basic groups and all of us do our own thing and we have no problems.

And to a point I will agree with the deal on scores going out the window. Like the other week before I got hurt I think I shot -2 or so. Someone mentioned it at the club house and I shrugged it off and told them well we were playing match play best ball and they did give me a couple of birdie putts. True one was 2" from the hole but still you are basically correct. All the groups I play in everyone knows everyone else and their game and we do the matches where everyone agrees. We play low stakes games with a $10 limit. But like I said before if it comes up I do have a set of conforming irons and wedges and we can play a down match. But none of the groups I play in care about equipment anyhow we just have fun and play. Now to be honest if I had a kid coming along that may play school matches etc I would make him/her play by the strict rules and do so myself when playing with them. And actually when I play strictly vintage golf by myself I do tend to play the ball down. I also practice around the short game area with bad lies etc.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Aw heck with the groups I play in we can certainly work it into the game. May can work you 3 in a side especially if you are my partner ----- wink smirk

Occasionally, when playing a new course, if I get a blind tee shot with unknown hazards or distances ahead, I'll play a provisional iron shot for safety after my initial tee shot. If I nut one down the middle with driver and end up OB or in the water somewhere, I shouldn't be penalized for lack of course knowledge. I'll gladly play the provisional as my OG ball, no extra strokes at all.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

If your not betting, handicapping or tournamenting then no cheating. To me your are paying with friends for enjoyment exercise. Have at it my friend, anyone who does this and posts a Cap, bets or plays tournaments then BAD!

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I’ve had this situation more times than I should have. Hit what you think is a perfect drive only to find out it is in a creek bed or a hazard of some sort. It’s very frustrating. That said, I tend to treat this as one of the quirks about golf (for a few reasons I’ll cover). Not saying anything about your approach at all...believe me, I’ve been tempted to take some “relief” in those situations myself.

Anyway, once I experienced links golf I started to understand the beauty of blind shots a little more. Over time, yes, course knowledge will erase the blindness. But there’s something wonderfully quirky about links golf and the element of luck that I think we’ve all but erased from the game in the US.

Second, once I played at Torrey Pines in a thick fog...so thick that you couldn’t see anything past about 4 feet in front of you. I was tempted to discount the whole round, but ultimately decided to play it and embrace the challenge. I didn’t have a yardage book but did have a scorecard with hole diagrams (and some of the diagrams were a bit inaccurate lol). But let me tell you, I spent a lot of time plotting every shot, trying to figure out about where my landing area would be and what I needed to be careful of. Even the shots into the greens were completely blind. Again, I had to do a lot of calculating (and guessing) as to what direction my target was in, and how far away from me it was. I didn’t lose a single golf ball that day. I hit some good shots, some bad shots, and everything in between. But I actually believe that the action of getting hyper focused on my target and exactly where I thought it was was super helpful for my game.

Point of all of this being that spending a little more time figuring out where you are about to hit the ball, and accepting the occasional goofy outcome, should be a part of the game of golf in my personal opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Two situations occur to me as cheating. 1. Any form of competition where a winner is actually declared. 2. Any form of bragging where the intention is to appear legit in the aforementioned score

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

I tried that approach with my wife. Told her I was just practicing and it wasn't really golf. She told me that's fine, I'll just practice having sex with other people.

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

This is spot on I think.

I was paired up with a guy recently who didn't observe sand traps. I'd never seen such a thing. If he hit in a trap he threw it out (no closer to the hole at least). Ok, fine, weird, but whatever. But on one hole we both hit into the same trap. I bladed mine out into the opposite side trap, came away with a double or triple I think. He threw his out, pitched up, tapped in for par and was happy with himself about it. Solidly in #2 from above. And solidly annoying.

If you cheat yourself to think that you are better than you are. Then you get frustrated because you don’t live up to your “expectations” which were created under false pretenses. Then that’s cheating yourself. At the end of the day, that’s who you have to live with.

and also this type of “self cheating” can lead to actual cheating. Because one can convince ones self that a stroke shaved or a ball kick is the right thing to do. For fairness reasons. Human beings can convince themselves of a lot of screwed up things. That’s why we have to hold ourselves to high standards. And not sink to those levels. Because in the end if you are strict with yourself, you will play better.

One of the groups I play in we just play but not for money--- 2 of those guys are brothers and both have had heart bypass surgery--- Anyone that has had that their chest and ribs are literally wired back together. Traps vary here from course to course and sometimes on the same course. One of them hit a trap shot one day and did something to one of the wires holding his chest together. From then on they are both prohibited from hitting out of any trap. Throw it out with no penalty. No need getting hurt having fun and besides they do not keep a stipulated handicap or play league play. I am not a member of the chest zipper club ( as they put it) so I still hit out of them and I have absolutely no problem with them throwing them out with no penalty

LOL some rules can be flexible depends on how it is interpreted. Just yanking your chain there----- Usually golf rules if you are playing stipulated rounds can be interpreted by common sense and spirit of the game

You can’t. I was trying to be kind.

Among the guys I play with casually and in leagues, most take a breakfast ball on the first tee. Most roll it over in the fairway, and probably half roll it over in the rough, as well. Few people know how to take a proper drop, and we've got one prominent water hazard where I've never seen anyone take a legal drop. People take more than three minutes to look for a ball, which hardly matters since they don't know how to the implement either the LB or OB rule, anyway. Our course is fairly poorly marked, so we have disputes over what's in a hazard and what isn't. My partner has trouble counting above 7, so I have to monitor both his score and mine. More than once, I've played with guys who drop a second ball when the first one didn't work out, saying "I'm not going to win, anyway". Later, I find them accepting prize money, having forgotten that they DQ'd themselves two hours earlier. Those are the big ones. I could go on. Don't get me started on handicaps.

I had an interesting situation last summer. Played with a couple at my club who I had seen many times but had never played with them. Anyway, on one hole, the guy asks me if his chip would move left or stay straight, and I just acted as though I didn't hear him. Afterwards I just let him know about advice, and since I do play in some tournaments, I just didn't want to get in the habit of playing loose with rules. He said, "Oh, I thought we were playing a friendly game, but you are right. I probably shouldn't ask that." I found that interesting, because to me, a friendly game is I don't care what you do with your ball. Pick up a 3 footer, roll it over, whatever, but I'm following the rules. Maybe that is a bit too much stickler, I don't know, but it was interesting to see the different ideas of what constitutes a "friendly game."

Good Post--- one of the reasons I do not play leagues at this stage. I play with several different groups mostly for fun and aggravation money ( less than $10) No one gets riled up. Some of the ones do as you say take a breakfast ball. These leagues around here can get plumb silly with all the argument and child like bickering. At this stage of life I just play for fun and I am loving it