Taylormade P7MC and P770 2020

doctorjedi

6 minutes ago, Philomathesq said:

This is clearly meant as a humble brag, but I don't generally miss that often with my irons, so true mishits are rare. However, I did purposely hit some off the toe and off the heel with the 770's and there is a very large difference in feel. Off the Apex MB's, anything that is more than a few mm's from the center of the club face stings. Off the 770's, I could barely tell I missed, but I noticed the miss due to distance and ball flight. 

I was hoping the 770's would make the game a little easier, and they probably will, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get over the feel difference. Nothing feels quite like a pured shot with a solid, forged blade. It's a feeling to which one, or at least me, becomes addicted. 

Couldn't agree more on feel really. My problems with forged CB's or even MB's has never really been impact but mostly face to path tolerance. I have a tendency to draw the ball and any ''very workable'' irons will make this unplayable on bad days... Basically, I find it tough to find a consistent, reliable ball flight. I wish I didn't have this problem so I could rock baller irons like the Apex MB's !!! ? 

Edited by davidthibault
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Philomathesq said:

So, I took my new P770's out to the range today for the first time. My initial reaction is that I'll likely put them on the BST soon, but I am going to give them one more chance. I only hit the 7-iron and the PW, but I just wasn't a fan of the feel of the 7-iron. Pured shots with the 7 just feel... disappointing, but the PW felt excellent. I think the difference is related to the fact that the PW doesn't have the speed slot. 

To be fair, I've only played pure forged, solid clubs (mostly blades) for the last couple of years. I bought the 770's on a whim, and while ball flight and distance were excellent, I don't think I'll be able to get past the feel. 

I played 1 round with my P770s and they are already sold.  Now my P7MCs are outstanding thru the bag.  You won’t be disappointed in these.  

09DF00C7-7F3A-4C3C-987B-C9C36FBA2B2C.jpeg

Edited by mixedguy

Hit the P770, P7MC and the P7MB earlier this week.  Have to say, they were everything that I expected and then some.

I've been trying to sort out the middle to bottom end of my bag since my PSi's are a little older and pretty worn, and I've got the 790s in my long/mid irons.  I've been a fan of the PSi's, but as time went on, the offset in the short irons started to bother me more and more.  So I've been looking to go with some short irons with less offset, and the 7MC's really fit the bill, and my search is over. I even thought about going MB in my short irons since they felt so pure, but the MC's just spoke to me a little more.

I'm transitioning from a combo set, so I've decided to go with the following updated combo:

P790: 4i to 6i (already had these)

P770: 7i & 8i

P7MC: 9i & PW

Going 1* stronger on the 770 and  1* weaker in the 790 to bridge the gap.  From the GC Quad data, that should work out perfectly.  I have NO idea when I'm actually going to be getting my order to take them on the course, but I'm excited whenever it comes!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mixedguy said:

I played 1 round with mine and they are already sold.  Now my P7MCs outstanding thru the bag.  You won’t be disappointed in these.  

I'm thinking of just going straight into the MB's, as that is what I'm used to and I am not a fan of the look of the MC's. 

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

4 minutes ago, Philomathesq said:

I'm thinking of just going straight into the MB's, as that is what I'm used to and I am not a fan of the look of the MC's. 

If you haven’t seen them in person, they’re spectacular 

My buddy’s set just showed up that I sourced for him, and I definitely had bag envy while I wait for my 921 Tour.

Edited by therealjonzone

1 minute ago, Philomathesq said:

The MBs are really nice too I just wanted a tad bit of forgiveness.  The older I get I can use a bit of help.  I wanted the MBs bad though lol.

13 minutes ago, mixedguy said:

I played 1 round with mine and they are already sold.  Now my P7MCs outstanding thru the bag.  You won’t be disappointed in these.  

Those MCs are so sick looking.  Nice irons!

• Like 1

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

i ordered a combo set (770 / MCs)  on 8/22 and got an email yesterday saying that they are expected to ship by Nov 2.

Driver - TSR3 10 deg. ADDI6S

3 Wood -TSR2 ADDI7S

3 Hybrid TM Stealth 

4-7 iron - TM P770  KBS C-Taper Lite S

8-PW - TM P7MC  KBS C-Taper Lite S 

52, 56, 60 - Vokey SM9 Black  KBS Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER2B, 35" with black gravity grip

Ball - ProV1

5 hours ago, biggys said:

i ordered a combo set (770 / MCs)  on 8/22 and got an email yesterday saying that they are expected to ship by Nov 2.

Yup same!

With all this wait time im starting to wonder if I made the right choice with modus105s. It seems to be a very unpopular shaft with then770 head. My fitting was 7 iron only and off the matts. It also was after a round of golf and indulging a few cold ones on the 19th hole then I went to go try the p770. Ha. Anyways the shaft did feel good. But im hearing whispers of modus 105 can balloon.

Is the modus 105 in theory a bad matchup for the p770 head?

Hmm, all this talk about the modus3 tour105S.. that is what i ordered also, it was a tossup between the C-taper lite and the modus 105s.  I guess I wasn't sure i was sold on the matte finish of the C-Tapers but it was definitely my first choice before I went with the Modus.  I can't comment as i won't be getting the clubs for another 1-2 months as i am in phase 3 shipment.  I do have an indoor setup i could set back up again (net return pro and 5x5 real feel mat) but i like seeing the ball flight.  (future purchase will definitely be a gc2 at some point).

Anyone here with the modus3 105S can comment on the shaft and pros/cons of it?

DRIVER: TaylorMade R1 10.5° Stock Shaft Regular Flex

3/4 WOOD: TaylorMade Rballz 14°HL Stock Shaft Regular Flex

IRONS 3-PW: TaylorMade P7MC Nippon Modus Tour 105S

GW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 52.09 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

SW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 56.12 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

LW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 60.08 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

Putter: TaylorMade Daytona 12 traditional bladed putter

BALL: Callaway Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1

2 hours ago, nikeblades00 said:

Yup same!

With all this wait time im starting to wonder if I made the right choice with modus105s. It seems to be a very unpopular shaft with then770 head. My fitting was 7 iron only and off the matts. It also was after a round of golf and indulging a few cold ones on the 19th hole then I went to go try the p770. Ha. Anyways the shaft did feel good. But im hearing whispers of modus 105 can balloon.

Is the modus 105 in theory a bad matchup for the p770 head?

Going to be a slightly higher launching head, so depends on your swing.  I honestly didn't find the 105 to be high launching, but there are definitely lower launching options.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

54 minutes ago, Oknows said:

Going to be a slightly higher launching head, so depends on your swing.  I honestly didn't find the 105 to be high launching, but there are definitely lower launching options.

Yah I didnt find it high either. I found it Mid Launching. Actually my numbers were very similar to kbs tour 120. I found the PX LZ to be low launching.  But I only tested 7 iron. 

Maybe im reading into too much and just need to stand pat!

On 8/24/2020 at 11:28 AM, threeputtsforpar said:

Ordered from Golf Mart on Friday (8/21) afternoon. Called this morning and they said ship date was looking like 10/22 and I wasn't sensing a ton of optimism that it would be earlier than that.

I can relate.  I went to GM, too.  First I ordered TM Milled wedges.  Back ordered.  Then I ordered TM P770’s.  Back ordered.  Then I ordered a Cobra Speedzone Driver to replace my ancient but trusty Callaway.  Guess what?  Back ordered!!!  Now I’m stuck playing my old Cobra TEC irons yet another several weeks or maybe even longer.  This whole experience has been less than gratifying.  Reminds me of my old prom date.  

What Is and What Should Never Be

So I ordered a set of 770's 4-7 and 7MC's 8-PW on Aug 19. I already received my MC's but the 770's weren't going to ship till 10/26. Since official release day was today, i happened to check my local Dick's Sporting Goods and they happened to have a set of stock 770's 4-PW. I scooped them up immediately and just picked them up just now. I had them adjust the loft and lie angles on the spot for the 4-7 and now my set is complete and ready to game. I am so excited to play these tomorrow. Needless to say I have the 8, 9 and PW still wrapped in plastic that I'll be throwing on the classifieds within the next hour or so. 

Just for reference I got the 770's with KBS Tour Stiff 120g shafts. Standard specs. I had the 4-7 bent 2 degrees flat and 1 degree strong. Should be perfect for me. The 8,9, PW are untouched and still wrapped. 

Talk about an overhype...golfwrx really helped TM on this one.  The pics posted here are spectacular.  You get super excited.  Then you get your hands on the demo irons and first thing you want to do is get a towel to wipe everyone else's grubby prints off.  Perhaps hand sanitizer makes matters worse for looks???

As a previous owner of the first irons sets to sport the cool look of horizontal lines across the cavity, the Hiro Matsumoto's from back in the day, I have always liked this look.  Funny thing about the HMs.  Those irons were gorgeous, there was the bulk in the low center behind the sweet spot.  Hit anything too much off center and you will lose a lot of yards.  Fast forward what?  15 years?  Time flies... (speaking of which is time really flying or is there multiple SI swimsuit issues released per year??? I can't believe it is already time for another one!  But I digress...). Anyway, the P7MC, similar design, and guess what?  Not forgiving off the toe, you will lose yards big time.  

The MBs look ok.  I mean, sure, good, design, clean lines, but a bit bulky for a MB, not Titleist TMB bulky, but not Titleist 680 either.  So if a blade player says these are forgiving, sure, but not for a 10 hcp'r, those of you in that boat...resist the beauty, play something game friendly.  Which brings me back to the MC...for the 10+...maybe even 8 hcpr, resist the coolness of the forged in logo, yes that is cool when shined up, and just go to P770.

Now there is a winner, the P770.  I hit 10 shots of the P7MC, about 3 of them were to toe side, and that cost me 10-15 yards.  That would be typical over the course of a round.  I hit 10 shots with P770, and if something was more towards toe, no real loss of distance, just hurts on dispersion.

And FWIW, the P770 looks better and feels better than the P790.  It's a winner for sure.  I do want a set, could be a lot of fun.  Although, not looking forward to re-engineering wedge gaps.

• Like 1

Of course it depends on what you are coming from, but no changes needed for my wedges.  I find the new P770 to have some nice traits, but they are not super long compared to my J15 CB’s on the short side of the bag.  Longer yes, but probably 3 or 4 yards on PW vs PW.  So, my 50 hi toe gaps just about right with the P770 PW.

• Like 1

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

18 minutes ago, Morry said:

Has TM totally blown this launch with availability tease? 

joke 

Creating a fair bit of negative goodwill

ready to order new 921 forged and call it a day 

Whose to say Mizuno won't run into the same issue?

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

2 hours ago, athey said:

Had a delivery today ??

20200905_132146.jpg

20200905_134114.jpg

Lovely, where did you order from? I ordered from clubhouse golf on launch day, but no sign of dispatch and little or no helpful info from them. Frustrating. 

Tsr2 Kai-li white 60g

tsr2 16.5 tensei av raw white 75g

tsr2 20 degree, tensei av raw white 90g

T200/T150/T100 PX Lz

sm9 54.10S/60.4T

odyssey Toulon Daytona
Pro V1

28 minutes ago, Copacetic said:

Lovely, where did you order from? I ordered from clubhouse golf on launch day, but no sign of dispatch and little or no helpful info from them. Frustrating. 

Grays golf. Luckily he had a stock set come in, took the 4 iron out and bent them 1 up for me. Just lucky I was fit into the stock shaft I guess, no sign of the custom order he placed for me.

27 minutes ago, athey said:

Grays golf. Luckily he had a stock set come in, took the 4 iron out and bent them 1 up for me. Just lucky I was fit into the stock shaft I guess, no sign of the custom order he placed for me.

Thanks, yep stock sets available but launch day custom orders no sign of, think I’ll cancel order and either take a stock set or wait until next season.  

Tsr2 Kai-li white 60g

tsr2 16.5 tensei av raw white 75g

tsr2 20 degree, tensei av raw white 90g

T200/T150/T100 PX Lz

sm9 54.10S/60.4T

odyssey Toulon Daytona
Pro V1

Finally got to do my fitting. Had to adjust my order. Not sure if it’s going to help or hurt, but at least I’ll have it right. Went with a full 5-P P7MC with PX 6.5 and 1* strong lofts. 

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH