Taylormade P7MC and P770 2020

doctorjedi

5 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

They liked them, but basically cautioned that they are for Scratch or better players.  Said you need to be damn good ball striker for them. 

Would have to disagree with this i now own the P7MC 7-5 iron and have to say they are as easy to hit as anything ive owned previous. Such good clubs and definitely a club you should try.

• Like 2

I received my P7MC irons 4-PW with Modus 120X in left hand. Ordered +1/4 inch longer but did not realize this only equates to 38 inches in 5 iron which is 1/4 inch shorter than my 2018 Callaway Apex MBs. Also not happy with  the swingweights which range from D4.0 to D5.0. Looks like my first and last set of Taylormade irons.

4 hours ago, Whited107x said:

Would have to disagree with this i now own the P7MC 7-5 iron and have to say they are as easy to hit as anything ive owned previous. Such good clubs and definitely a club you should try.

I agree with this statement.  I played P750's since they were released and even though similar looking at address and size the P7MC are more forgiving for me, same exact build.   The P7MC have a different feel and sound compared to the 750's.   P7MC have a dense feel and are softer feeling to me, which is a great improvement imho.  

• Like 3
  • Qi10- Kai’li White 60TX
  • Stealth+ 19* - Atmos Red 8X
  • P790 3I - AD DI
  • P7MC 4-PW -  $ Taper
  • MG4 52 - 58 - $ Taper
  • GoodWood 
  • TP5X

9 hours ago, toddyc said:

I haven’t watched any reviews...did they not like the MCs for some reason? Guess I could just go watch it myself

They felt that these were good ball striker irons.  They were reviewing the numbers and some not so pure hits had a serious drain in ball speed.  I think they were strikes low on the face.  I think Ian commented that if a player was considering moving from the P760 they should consider that as a factor.  However, they commented that solid strikes felt great.

Edited by jimb

I am not a scratch golfer by any stretch and I think the MCs are easy to hit.  Iron play is my strength, and I very much prefer something with less offset and a thinner sole, so I've played irons in this category before.  These are as easy to hit as any player's iron I've tried.  Ball speed dips on bad shots, but that's to be expected.  I wouldn't say it dips more than any other players iron.  

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

51 minutes ago, jolonh said:

I received my P7MC irons 4-PW with Modus 120X in left hand. Ordered +1/4 inch longer but did not realize this only equates to 38 inches in 5 iron which is 1/4 inch shorter than my 2018 Callaway Apex MBs. Also not happy with  the swingweights which range from D4.0 to D5.0. Looks like my first and last set of Taylormade irons.

???

1SW range is acceptable, but your length is probably correct as your Callaway build could probably the incorrect one.
The one thing I rarely see TM get wrong when orders are entered correctly is length.

Edited by therealjonzone
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jolonh said:

I'm honestly curious.... does that 2 grams in weight and 1/4 inch make that much difference?  

• Thanks 1

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

1 hour ago, jolonh said:

I don’t think it’s TaylorMades fault the lengths don’t match your Callaways 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bogeypro said:

I'm honestly curious.... does that 2 grams in weight and 1/4 inch make that much difference?  

No. But a lot of people on this board approach their clubs specs like they are Tiger Woods. Not saying that guy is but the obsession over swing weight is something I won’t understand. Also not saying that clubs shouldn’t come as ordered in the correct specs, just funny to read some comments on this board. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just a question for anyone who is coming to the P770s from a traditional blade or muscle back.  I play the JPX919 Tours, and distance isn't really an issue.  But I hit the 770s yesterday and really liked them, so I want to know how much longer they'll be if I make the switch.

My mizunos have almost identical lofts.  I hit-

PW - 150

9i - 160

8i - 170

And so on and so forth.  Carry distances.  10 yard gaps all the way up to 4 iron, which I bent a couple degrees strong so I could hit it 220.  I don't need the distance I guess, but the forgiveness appeals to me and I need a new set.

Was considering the MBs too, but I kind of already have that category filled with my MP20s

57 minutes ago, Bubs23 said:

Just a question for anyone who is coming to the P770s from a traditional blade or muscle back.  I play the JPX919 Tours, and distance isn't really an issue.  But I hit the 770s yesterday and really liked them, so I want to know how much longer they'll be if I make the switch.

My mizunos have almost identical lofts.  I hit-

PW - 150

9i - 160

8i - 170

And so on and so forth.  Carry distances.  10 yard gaps all the way up to 4 iron, which I bent a couple degrees strong so I could hit it 220.  I don't need the distance I guess, but the forgiveness appeals to me and I need a new set.

Was considering the MBs too, but I kind of already have that category filled with my MP20s

Maybe not entirely apples to apples, but I came off the Cally Apex Pros from 2016 and the 770s so far seem to be carrying the same distances. One caveat:  I have the Project X Pxi shafts in my Callys that were 1/2 inch over, but I went with Project X LZ at standard length, which is 1/2 shorter than I was playing in my Callys. Not sure if the 1/2 shorter shaft and extra 7 grams/shaft in the LZ in my 770s are contributing to that, or if I had exact same shaft specs in both would mean the 770s fly farther.

One thing I can say for sure is the 770s are more forgiving than the Apex Pros. Hope that helps.

9 minutes ago, addage said:

Maybe not entirely apples to apples, but I came off the Cally Apex Pros from 2016 and the 770s so far seem to be carrying the same distances. One caveat:  I have the Project X Pxi shafts in my Callys that were 1/2 inch over, but I went with Project X LZ at standard length, which is 1/2 shorter than I was playing in my Callys. Not sure if the 1/2 shorter shaft and extra 7 grams/shaft in the LZ in my 770s are contributing to that, or if I had exact same shaft specs in both would mean the 770s fly farther.

One thing I can say for sure is the 770s are more forgiving than the Apex Pros. Hope that helps.

It does, and I'm getting to a point where I probably either need to stop swinging so hard or play something a little bit more forgiving if I'm going to keep my swing speed as-is.

The Mizunos are pretty forgiving but I could definitely use some extra help, and since my entire game and bag are built around those carry distances I need to keep that intact if I switch.

Appreciated

3 minutes ago, Bubs23 said:

It does, and I'm getting to a point where I probably either need to stop swinging so hard or play something a little bit more forgiving if I'm going to keep my swing speed as-is.

The Mizunos are pretty forgiving but I could definitely use some extra help, and since my entire game and bag are built around those carry distances I need to keep that intact if I switch.

Appreciated

Yeah, I was worried about yardage gapping too, especially between the A wedge and my 54* sand wedge, but so far so good.

4 hours ago, jolonh said:

Yeah, TM says they "try" to get the SW close to standard, but like you are finding that doesn't always happen.

It is this type of missed spec that got me into building my clubs 10 years ago, so I can get them they way I want them and not the oems way.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I ordered a set of P7MC's- my first set of Taylormade irons. Overall thoughts as I am currently playing Srixon 785s and had played Mizuno MMC 20's earlier this summer, and ordered the 7MC's with the same nippon modus 120 shafts. Handicap about 6 and irons are perhaps my strong part of my game

1. Compared to the Srixons and Mizunos, the 7MC's are less forgiving for me. I found that the Srixons especially are forgiving if your miss is a thin (lose perhaps 5 yards) but with the 7MCs I was losing more than a club worth of distance (this is accounting for the loft differences)

2. The heads do feel a bit heavier, I swing weighted them to be somewhat closer to D4

3. the Good shots, are amazing, feel as good as any Japanese forged clubs

4. The clubs look amazing, perhaps the best looking set in a while. The heel to toe distance is perfect. The top line is not as thin as I thought it would be, so does give you confidence

5. There is a unique finish on the face that is really cool- some sort of milling

Overall, great clubs but for me, I disagree that they are "that" forgiving. Would love to trade for a set of P770's now ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojomover said:

I ordered a set of P7MC's- my first set of Taylormade irons. Overall thoughts as I am currently playing Srixon 785s and had played Mizuno MMC 20's earlier this summer, and ordered the 7MC's with the same nippon modus 120 shafts. Handicap about 6 and irons are perhaps my strong part of my game

1. Compared to the Srixons and Mizunos, the 7MC's are less forgiving for me. I found that the Srixons especially are forgiving if your miss is a thin (lose perhaps 5 yards) but with the 7MCs I was losing more than a club worth of distance (this is accounting for the loft differences)

2. The heads do feel a bit heavier, I swing weighted them to be somewhat closer to D4

4. The clubs look amazing, perhaps the best looking set in a while. The heel to toe distance is perfect. The top line is not as thin as I thought it would be, so does give you confidence

5. There is a unique finish on the face that is really cool- some sort of milling

Overall, great clubs but for me, I disagree that they are "that" forgiving. Would love to trade for a set of P770's now ?

Great example of it just being swing dependent.  I love the MMCs and found them forgiving as well, but struggled with the 785s to get consistent strikes.  

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

46 minutes ago, Oknows said:

Great example of it just being swing dependent.  I love the MMCs and found them forgiving as well, but struggled with the 785s to get consistent strikes.  

Agreed- curious, do you have a good divot or more of a sweeper? I am the latter, so wonder if that plays into thin soled irons forgiveness. 

12 hours ago, Whited107x said:

sure, I wasn't speaking from any personal experience, I was just answerng the question that was asked, what Ian and Matt said about it.   I wouldn't even say disliked, as they certainly liked it, it was more of a "warning"  

One of my coworkers hit them at a fitting day, and did ver well with them, I think he's about a 7 or 8.   So I'm sure they will have a broader range than just scratch. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I had a chance to set up to the MC's, didn't hit them due to all the stalls being full.  Maybe I'm blind, but the MC's looks really good and more foregiving compared to the 760's.  The MC blade looks longer to my eye with super thin top line and little/no offset.    I contacted a rep to order, but appears they are backordered until next month sometime.  ughhh....

6 hours ago, mojomover said:

What's your set make up and what flex 120s?

10 hours ago, jolonh said:

The length comment surprises me, to be honest. I've found TaylorMade to be very precise with custom lengths on my past orders, including my P770-P7MC-P7MB order. What ruler are you using to measure?

A D4-D5 swing weight range for an OEM set of irons is really not bad at all. If you want higher tolerances, you need to do what I and many others do and rebuild them yourself.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

37 minutes ago, happycamper98765 said:

To everyone who is gaming the MC’s currently - how is the durability? Has the back muscle been dinged up at all?

I've played 6 rounds and have had a couple practice sessions with mine so far (just 5 and 6 iron in MC). Just some minor bag chatter starting. Nothing excessive or out of the ordinary. Exactly what I'd expect for a forged head.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I also found the TM length to be shorter by a 1/4  inch, but compared to some other OEM’s I understand this has always been the case.

I had some 770’s , traded them as I was not thrilled with the feel, but traded them back lol.  Tourney this weekend so that will decide my longer term decision.  It is always the club... never my swing that is the problem lol.

• Haha 1

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

7 hours ago, mojomover said:

Totally agree.  I sold mine for $1100 after playing 2 rounds shot 72,75 but they weren’t as forgiving as I expected.  Playing the 770s now so much easier and not looking back but I did have to get them extended a quarter inch because of the new way TM measures makes them a quarter inch shorter than industry standard.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kekoa said:

I had a chance to set up to the MC's, didn't hit them due to all the stalls being full.  Maybe I'm blind, but the MC's looks really good and more foregiving compared to the 760's.  The MC blade looks longer to my eye with super thin top line and little/no offset.    I contacted a rep to order, but appears they are backordered until next month sometime.  ughhh....

Wrong lol 760s are way more forgiving and a lot easier to hit and they feel softer as well.  I’m playing the 770s but I kept my 760s and I’m glad I did.  I sold my 7MCs after 2 rounds 72,75.  I play to a 4 handicap.  But like someone mentioned before it’s all about how somebody swings the club we’re all different.  MCs might work for you but IMO the 760s are more user friendly 

• Like 1