Taylormade P7MC and P770 2020

doctorjedi

6 hours ago, Minarets said:

What grip is that that TM is using for this release? First, i love the dark gray. Second, love the feel and tack.  I want these even if they don't say TM on them.... they look like cordless lamkin z cords but not sure. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

11 hours ago, davidthibault said:

Is this for 770's or P7MC'S? Anxious to get your feedback, still on the fence for standard KBS Tour S or $-tapers for 770's here! Have demoed $-Tapers indoors but didn't get a chance to hit the 7I/$-Tapers combo outside yet. Have you tried the setup? Curious to get your thoughts and feedback!

I will let you know how they play. P770 4-pw. I’ve been a $-tapper stiff for the last few years. First go with the lites. 

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 5 Wood w/ TD-70-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

PXG 0317t w/steelfiber i95-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

1 hour ago, golf9596 said:

I will let you know how they play. P770 4-pw. I’ve been a $-tapper stiff for the last few years. First go with the lites. 

Ah! Just read it was with Lites! Still, i'll be interested in hearing more for sure.

Reason i'm thinking $-Taper (VS Tour S that I've been playing for years) was to fight dispersion issues I have with over draws when my club path gets not so good... Curious to know why you're sticking with $-Tapers (lite) on your end vs Tour?

3 hours ago, golf9596 said:

Great choice. I got fit with the $ taper lite (x-stiff) at Roger Dunn. When I tried to order, the option wasn't available (apparently they took it off the menu in 2020). Still curious why TaylorMade removed it as an option since it felt perfect to me. 

I ordered a split set 790/770 to test out against the ole standby T200/T100s.

TM sent me the 770s today, waiting on the 790s.  Seems odd they would send me half the set, even odder that I got the 770s first.

Who knows, they look good.

LB

TM Qi10 Max - Diamana T60
PXG Black Ops 4W, 7W - GD Tour AD VR-7

Titleist T350 5 - MMT95

Titleist T200 6-PW - MMT95

Titleist T150 GW - MMT105

Vokey- 54/12A, 58LBK
LAB Golf DF3
Titleist Pro V1

34 minutes ago, lbhitter said:

TM sent me the 770s today, waiting on the 790s.  Seems odd they would send me half the set, even odder that I got the 770s first.

LB

When did you place the order? Very odd. Thought the 770 was the one with the longest wait, but those who did split sets seem to be getting the 770 first. 

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

52 minutes ago, lbhitter said:

LB

All T200 vs 770 comments welcome!  Feel, sound, turf interaction, offset, etc.  Thanks!

On 8/31/2020 at 8:15 AM, Oknows said:

Anyone who has received their MCs have any comparisons to clubs they've played in the past?  I've played J40 CB, 2014 AP2 and MP18 MMC in the past and was recently fit into MP20 MMC.  Wondering how these might compare as far as playability. 

The P7MCs are my first new irons in about 13 years.  Had TM r7tps for the last 13 years and never found anything I liked better.  Tried a number of different irons over the years.  I did really like the 750s and almost pulled the trigger to get them, but then had some life events pull me away from playing regularly.  Started playing regularly late last year, and did some refresher lessons to work to get rid of the dreaded snap hook I would hit on occasion.  Wanted to wait until those were ingrained before I looked at new irons again.  Finally started looking last few months and wasn't wowed by the 760s, but the moment the P7MCs were announced, I was in ?

Received the P7MCs last week, put them into play this weekend.  Pretty easy switch.  They are definitely a smaller head than my r7tps (which were small at the time), but found no issue with that.  The few mishits I had were handled pretty well, and found that slight mishits only resulted in maybe a yard or two of lost distance.  

I kept stock lofts, 2 degree up on the lie, and went with the TT DG 120 S300 shafts (basically the same I had in my r7tps).  I have a swing that results in fairly high spin and a high ball flight naturally so I prefer shafts that are intended for lower trajectory/lower spin. 

Set is 3-PW.  I gave some thought to doing a combo set with the 770s with the 3-4 being 770s, but happy I didn't.  I use the 3 iron off the tee on occasion on shorter par 4s/tight driving holes.  Used it both Saturday and Sunday on a few holes, and the shots felt so pure.  Very happy I didn't do the combo set.  

Honestly though clubs are very individual so would suggest trying them out to get a feel ?

Edited by norcalgolfer
  • Like 1

Just got confirmation from DD this morning that my irons are in route.  Looks like they went from TM to DD and are now being shipped to me via FedEx.  

For reference I ordered a super custom lefty combo set (770 / MB's - with modified lengths and lofts and soft stepped Ctapers) from DD on 8/14 probably mid day.

• Like 1

[b]TaylorMade SIM[/b] - 10.5 deg - w/ Aldila Synergy Black Proto 60-TX tipped 0.5 - 44.75"
[b]Adams XTD TI[/b] - 2 hybrid (16.5 deg) - Matrix HM3 105g X
[b]TaylorMade P790 -[/b] 3i (1 deg weak) - KBS C-Taper Lite-X (ss1)
[b]TaylorMade P790 -[/b] 4-6: (2 deg weak) - KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Adams MB2 - [/b] 7-PW: KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Titleist Vokey[/b] SM4: 50 F Grind - KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Callaway[/b] PM Grind 56 - bent to 55, PM Grind 60 - Dynamic Gold TI s400
[b]Tiger NP2 Replica G.O.A.T.:[/b] - 35.5in

2 hours ago, Oknows said:

When did you place the order? Very odd. Thought the 770 was the one with the longest wait, but those who did split sets seem to be getting the 770 first. 

24 August

• Like 1

TM Qi10 Max - Diamana T60
PXG Black Ops 4W, 7W - GD Tour AD VR-7

Titleist T350 5 - MMT95

Titleist T200 6-PW - MMT95

Titleist T150 GW - MMT105

Vokey- 54/12A, 58LBK
LAB Golf DF3
Titleist Pro V1

• Thanks 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Just got an email from TM clarifying the delivery date for my 770’s that I ordered on 8/19 that displayed a ship date of 9/4 but won’t actually ship till 10/21. For the inconvenience they are including a dozen TP5 balls with my order. While I wished I would get my irons sooner, I understand the delays and grateful for the box of balls they’re includingg. Kudos to TM for their communication and handling of the situation. At least I’ll have my P7MC 8-PW by tomorrow but I’ll likely wait for the 770’s to put em in play. 

• Like 1

FedEx was finally able to find my missing clubs and they were delivered. They are gorgeous, but I am disappointed in the build quality (though not surprised).

My 4 iron is 1/2" too long and my 9 iron is 1/4" too long. These are easy fixes, but it is annoying nonetheless. Some of the ferrules were not turned properly, but it is simply a cosmetic issue and not a functional issue. Lofts and lies are dead on.

I will say, however, the clubs are swingweighted nearly perfectly, and much better than I've ever seen in a factory build. The difference in swingweight between the lightest and heaviest clubs is only 0.3 points (all weighted out between D4.9 and D5.2).

Just a friendly reminder to get your clubs checked if you did not have them built by a professional.

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

14 hours ago, Oknows said:

Anyone with T100 vs MC comparisons welcome also. 

Can't give you a full set comparison but I went to get fitted for T100 a few weeks back and walked out having ordered P7.MCs

So iv been playing original AP2s for near on 12 years now. Really happy with them but had unexpected bonus money burning a hole in my pocket. Fully expected to get the T100....

So we start off and i am really swinging well (for me). Big high ball flight, not much turn. Really pleased that the fit is happening on a good day.

My AP2s - 109 ball speed, 157 carry, 1.39 smash factor. These numbers were good for me.

We moved on to T100s, after playing about with a few shafts, the S300 white had me averaging 113 ball speed, 161 carry, 1.41 smash factor. To be honest, i didn't feel much difference, an easy transition from AP2. I could game these without any worry about getting used to them.

We then had a look around to see if anything caught my eye& i pointed out the new p7.MCs. Im more of a titleist fan, indeed the full bag except putter currently is. I was a little worried these MCs would be too playery for me but we cranked in the KBS tour 120 S shaft and by god these were amazing. Right from the first swing i was launching them high and arrow straight and they felt hot off the face and surprisingly easy to hit. Numbers...... wow!

116 ball speed, 166 carry, 1.44 smash factor.

Again, no idea if these are good numbers but they were good strikes for me and you can see the stepped improvements from both my AP2s and the T100

Really looking forward to when the new irons show up

• Like 1

Reaffirmed yesterday that the MC is the right choice. Got to swing it with the $ Taper and loved the combo. 

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Got the 770's bent yesterday, 2* flat. It is amazing how much of a difference that lie angle makes. Very accurate with these all day today. 

The Mizuno's (mp20 MMC) will be hard to beat considering the last round i played with them was a 100% GIR round, but these have a chance. Top line is a little thick, blade length is a little short, offset is a little much. but they look AMAZING in bag. thats is a HUGE plus for me. 

the other thing i will say is that I might not be as accurate with these (time will tell) but they launch higher, especially in the 4 and 5 iron which is also huge. 

a few more rounds and I will know for sure

My 770s arrived Monday, and I had a chance to play a quick 9 with them last night. I ordered at a demo day on 8/14. Got the Project X LZ in 6.0.

I’m very impressed with the looks. I’m coming off the 2016 Apex Pros and to my eye the 770s look very similar at address - size, top line and offset - with each club, even the shorter irons. I went with a full set of 770s rather than a split set, in part because I wanted as much added forgiveness as I can get through the set, and also because TM doesn’t offer an attack/gap wedge in the MCs. Glad I did. 

Feel is a different story. The 770s are more muted and don’t quite have the solid thump sound of the Apex Pros. But, I’m hoping the extra forgiveness of the 770s make up for that. We’ll see after further play.

I haven’t even hit each iron yet, so need more testing to be able to give a true comparison and review. More to come....

Edited by addage

spoke to TM today. I had ordered a set of 4-PW p7MC with ctaper 120s with 1 deg upright but the 9 iron 0.5 deg strong and PW 1 deg strong to make even gaps to my 50 MG tour raw wedge and 54/60 setup. Ordered through my proshop 8/27 and they said that the 9/PW had shipped for possible delivery today! wondering whether they have excess inventory of the higher lofted irons or whether it went into a different queue because those two clubs had different specs for loft compared to the rest of the set. It is going to be very hard to have two shiny new 9/W clubs with no rest of the set! Hoping the others come soon but was quoted mid october at the earliest...