2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

I'm never, ever going to . . .

Soloman1

When I was younger, I swore that I would never play any tee except the tips, never ride and always walk, never use a pull cart, never blah, blah, blah.

I stopped playing the tips and ride now. Sigh.

Well, I've finally reached the nadir of my golf existence - I untucked my shirt when I played yesterday. I never thought the day would come, but here I am. 50 days this summer with temperatures over 110F has taken a toll on me. That and I had to dig in the closet for an old pair of shorts from when I weighted a little more and said I would never, ever need them again...

"Man, these 36" feel so good, I might just get me a 38"..."

I always followed the "rules" of dress, but I've changed my mind after all these years. Who cares about collared shirts? I'd like to play in a T-shirt.

It would be funny to see someone come running out of the pro shop of Olympia Fields today to tell Tiger a few others that they can't play until they change into a collared shirt.

Talk about a double standard. Free us from the yoke of collared shirts!

• Haha 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

You're just becoming smarter.  If I want to shoot 5+ strokes higher, I just need to move back a box or two.  Not a lot of fun hitting mid-long irons into Par 4's all the time.  As far as shirts and shorts go.... Whatever doesn't make me feel like the Michelin Man.

Edited by Socrates

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

My assumption is that they hope to maintain some level of professionalism. If you don't set a standard, someone somewhere will show up in ANYTHING. My shirts are fitted and hang just at or below waistline but even courses that say you have to tuck have never said anything to me. Also imho dress has become less formal. I play quite a bit and have never seen those fancy wingtip dressy golf shoes firsthand (or at least noticed them). The athletic trend seems to be the norm.

Also imagine how it would look if a ranger rode by and informed an overweight man sweating like a maniac on hole 17 that he needs to focus on keeping his shirt tucked.

I think the unwritten rule is to show up like you are ready to play golf.

Good for you! I am not a t-shirt fan - I wear them to the gym and that is about it. Came to the conclusion that they don’t suit me so I am polo shirted up all the time but honestly, could not care less what people are wearing to play golf. I like to wear a polo shirt, trousers/shorts and shield tip Icons but it someone wants to play in a t-shirt, jeans and trainers - if they are paying their money, they can play.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

4 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

"... but even courses that say you have to tuck have never said anything to me."

I've never heard of a golf course mandating people have to tuck in their shirts. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I have just never seen or heard of one.

I Know of 2 private course in my area alone that will come up to you and tell you to tuck it in.

• Like 1

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

7 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

I'm surprised to hear this in 2020 AD.

Yeah, they think really highly of themselves at the one place and the track wouldn't even crack the top 50 in Palm Springs.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

44 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Okay...................................and????   

image.jpeg.c4d137b88a50c6e7772a6c4ca86ce306.jpeg

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

Some private courses near me:

Men (and all male children): Shirts with collars and sleeves, slacks or golf-length shorts are considered appropriate attire. No Cargo Shorts are allowed. Shirts are to remain tucked-in at all times. Tank tops, tee shirts, mesh shirts, hooded shirts, sweat shirts or pants, warm-up suits, blue jeans or denim, swim wear, cut-offs, gym shorts, tennis outfits, or other athletic shorts are not permitted. Hats/caps may not be worn with peak backwards.

MEN  Proper attire is a golf shirt and long pants or Bermuda length shorts.   Golf shirts must have a collar and must be tucked in. Caps are to be worn brim forward.  Cargo shorts & pant, denim fabrics, and tennis and swim attire are not permitted.

Men's Dress Policy:   Slacks, Bermuda shorts, collared shirts, turtlenecks or mock necks are the standard required dress on Club grounds.  Shirt are required to be tucked into slack or Bermuda shorts at all times.  They must of of appropriate size, length, neckline and fit.  Cargo shorts for are not suitable.  Please remove hats when seated in the grill room or upon entering the second floor of the clubhouse.  Golf caps must be appropriate and worn visor facing forward.

I use mock tees. Unless Clubs says otherwise which has not happened so far. Keeps front of my neck all supple and everything. When I wore a collar always forgot to put lotion in that V area and if that had continued might of had some problems down the line. And yeah I moved up from the backs a while ago and mostly ride in the summer. Spring/Fall walk as much as possible. 

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

I really don't have any qualms with private clubs making any rules they wish. I don't think too many public courses have that privilege though. Well, at least in the west.

Having endured playing golf in Japan for over 25 years, I bristle a little now about rules for public courses.

Many public courses in the Tokyo area expected you to wear a sport jacket and leather shoes when checking in to play. It could be 95F and 95% humidity, but you needed that bloody jacket to get in the door. Sigh...

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

"Never will I ever" play a regulation golf course when I can't reach a hole in regulation.

At that point, if anything, I'll stick to "Pitch and Putt". :classic_sad:

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

21 hours ago, wkndhckr said:

My assumption is that they hope to maintain some level of professionalism. If you don't set a standard, someone somewhere will show up in ANYTHING. My shirts are fitted and hang just at or below waistline but even courses that say you have to tuck have never said anything to me. Also imho dress has become less formal. I play quite a bit and have never seen those fancy wingtip dressy golf shoes firsthand (or at least noticed them). The athletic trend seems to be the norm.

Also imagine how it would look if a ranger rode by and informed an overweight man sweating like a maniac on hole 17 that he needs to focus on keeping his shirt tucked.

I think the unwritten rule is to show up like you are ready to play golf.

I think as you said, it mostly comes down to people "looking the part". 

1 hour ago, LeoLeo99 said:

Some private courses near me:

Men (and all male children): Shirts with collars and sleeves, slacks or golf-length shorts are considered appropriate attire. No Cargo Shorts are allowed. Shirts are to remain tucked-in at all times. Tank tops, tee shirts, mesh shirts, hooded shirts, sweat shirts or pants, warm-up suits, blue jeans or denim, swim wear, cut-offs, gym shorts, tennis outfits, or other athletic shorts are not permitted. Hats/caps may not be worn with peak backwards.

MEN  Proper attire is a golf shirt and long pants or Bermuda length shorts.   Golf shirts must have a collar and must be tucked in. Caps are to be worn brim forward.  Cargo shorts & pant, denim fabrics, and tennis and swim attire are not permitted.

Men's Dress Policy:   Slacks, Bermuda shorts, collared shirts, turtlenecks or mock necks are the standard required dress on Club grounds.  Shirt are required to be tucked into slack or Bermuda shorts at all times.  They must of of appropriate size, length, neckline and fit.  Cargo shorts for are not suitable.  Please remove hats when seated in the grill room or upon entering the second floor of the clubhouse.  Golf caps must be appropriate and worn visor facing forward.

That " appropriate size and fit" is always very subjective and fairly hard to enforce from what I have seen. I have also seen it's tough to enforce the sweater vs golf sweatshirt at times especially when you have brands like nike and adidas making golf sweaters that definitely blurr the line. I have found that as long as you don't negatively stand out, no one really pays much attention

There's always that one guy in every foursome...

Houston's Worst Dressed Golfers do Plenty of Good | PaperCity Magazine

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

10 minutes ago, Flip4000 said:

That " appropriate size and fit" is always very subjective and fairly hard to enforce from what I have seen. I have also seen it's tough to enforce the sweater vs golf sweatshirt at times especially when you have brands like nike and adidas making golf sweaters that definitely blurr the line. I have found that as long as you don't negatively stand out, no one really pays much attention

I've seen courses, years ago, that insisted you wear a collared polo in the winter under your outerwear.  

7 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

"... but even courses that say you have to tuck have never said anything to me."

I've never heard of a golf course mandating people have to tuck in their shirts. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I have just never seen or heard of one.

Ha... I'm at a country club in Kentucky... the only thing required to join is to ask (and pay the small initiation fee)... Here's the most recent e-mail from the club president:

And that brings me to another point.  In addition to creating an improved facility and a culture of top quality service, we wanted to set about changing the culture of our membership.  We felt the years of facility decline, financial stress and falling membership had taken its toll on membership culture.  We felt like the standards to which we regarded membership had greatly declined.  Members were reluctant to bring guests due to embarrassing facilities, memberships were practically free, unacceptable behavior was permeating the club, even requirements such as dress code were ignored by many.  It’s now time for that type of culture to change.  As a member of Hunting Creek Country Club, we can now be proud to bring guests.  We can now be proud to show off what we have as members.  We can now be excited to see rapidly growing membership numbers.  Being a member of HCCC now has significance not seen in years.  And it is now time for us to begin acting as such. 

Soon you will begin receiving information regarding club rules and expectations of members.  This will include topics ranging from dress code to proper behavior in and around our club.  This is not new material as almost all of it has been in place, it simply has not been enforced.  That is now changing as we migrate from a club of little significance to one held in high regard.  I would ask that you adhere to these guidelines and not put our staff in the uncomfortable position of having to address you for compliance.    

I'm a big guy (6'4" and fat) so my shirts don't like to stay tucked in... I'm bad about leaving them untucked and "it has been mentioned"... it's actually a running joke with the staff of the club (I get along with them, they just give me a heads up when someone complains) to the point I'll walk in and show them I have my shirt tucked in... 

It's pretty much the standard of every country club I've been to. Shirts must be tucked in... Some care more than others. The snooty club in Dallas was the worst about it.

In case you are curious, here's the dress code.

Golf Course and Practice Facility Attire

Gentlemen:

Shirts with collars and sleeves, slacks, or golf shorts are considered appropriate attire. Shirts must be tucked in.  Tank tops, t-shirts, fishnet tops, cutoffs, jams, sweatpants, denim, bathing suits, cargo pants, cargo shorts, or athletic shorts are not permitted. Hats must be worn forward; backwards hats are not permitted.

Edited by Myherobobhope

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Never really got all the resistance to collar and tucked in shirts. Seems like it is the most minimal effort a person could make. I typically play most of my golf at private clubs and most do have these rules in place and I have never heard of anyone complain about it.

Just now, 2bGood said:

Never really got all the resistance to collar and tucked in shirts. Seems like it is the most minimal effort a person could make. I typically play most of my golf at private clubs and most do have these rules in place and I have never heard of anyone complain about it.

As a serial breaker of the tucked in policy... I rarely tuck in my shirt on a day to day basis... My shirts habitually come untucked, so I just don't really bother... I usually remember to tuck in my shirt, but I forget on occasion.

I think it's a silly requirement to have it tucked in, but I joined and knew the rules... but when you see things like the e-mail I pasted above... I think that's a little silly. I don't think we are going to not have people join because my shirt is untucked. 

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

3 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

The membership committee has decided to require members maintain our traditional standards of dress as shown in the photo below.

ties.jpg

Mine too !!!

spacer.png

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X