KHT Autoflex shaft

chocolate_rehab

On 11/11/2020 at 3:26 AM, chocolate_rehab said:

Another TXG video on it:

Big fan of TXG content but why is Matt testing this for a 3rd time?  We now need testing from a variety of handicap ranges and swing speeds to understand the real world versatility and applicability of this new shaft technology.

Edited by AndersUK
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AndersUK said:

Big fan of TXG content but why is Matt testing this for a 3rd time?  We now need testing from a variety of handicap ranges and swing speeds to understand the real world versatility and applicability of this new shaft technology.

That is because distance sells. You’ll see gains if you’re a good enough golfer to square a longer driver and gain speed, but it won’t magically give you 280 yards out of a 90 mph club head speed. It’s a good, well constructed, and smooth shaft that holds up to whatever you throw at it, but it’s true potential will only shine if you’re the type of golfer who can play an over length shaft and hit the center consistently. This shaft will help you achieve that, but it’s still up to the golfer to be able to do it. 

5 hours ago, AndersUK said:

I've said this 1,000 times about this channel - it's my main comment on their content. Matt being basically the only one testing equipment really limits the appeal of their videos for me. My favorite videos of theirs are the ladies, the high handicap fittings, the mid handicap fittings, and everyone with a regular swing getting a benefit from certain equipment, shafts, lofts, etc.

In my 5 years playing golf, I've encountered someone who swings as fast/good as Matt less than a handful of times. For whatever reason, TXG doesn't seem to be willing or able to have some variety in their videos on this anymore.

So yeah, I agree with you. Hopefully we'll see other non-clickbait testing of this shaft from other channels soon.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

24 minutes ago, Noodler said:

they use Matt because he can eliminate many of the variables that lesser golfers introduce into the testing of equipment.

Why would we want to eliminate the variables that actually occur in golf and with golfers when testing equipment? That's like a fundamental aspect of testing, otherwise we might as well watch that golf robot hit everything. Even when TXG takes out Matt's sub par shots I think it makes little sense to do so. I don't care about how equipment performs in a perfect vacuum because that's not how it will realistically be used on a golf course. And the differences of a certain shaft or head to a guy who has pretty much ideal swing and launch conditions is going to be minimal. If you look at their videos, the most common piece of critique is "can we see regular golfers swing it?" So I think people understand that watching Matt hit drives 330 yards is enjoyable wishcasting (for some), but in terms of usefulness, there's a limit to what that can provide to regular golfers.

No one is saying TXG isn't high quality in their approach, polish, and knowledge. I enjoy their videos for the most part and a lot of people do. It just seems to be a huge blindspot for them that limits the channel imo. But it's a similar critique I have when watching golf YouTubers test super game improvement equipment and complain the entire time about the top line and the offset and how it doesn't suit their eye. So it's not just a TXG problem, although it seems glaring for them because they use a guy with an almost boringly consistent high speed swing. And yes, we have seen that he's a launch monitor monster and has some struggles on the course - but they test almost everything on a launch monitor indoors, so it doesn't matter in that context.

Edit: And now that I think about it, the woman they used a few times had a really nice, repeatable swing - just not 115mph. She was dead straight almost every time. They could 100% use her for other videos if the strike and consistency is the problem (again, I don't agree with this being a negative, but..). So the variables argument is weird to me.

Anyway, maybe a TXG thread is a better place for this type of discussion.

Edited by chocolate_rehab

I'll just add that during COVID times I can understand the lack of variety in people testing. They've done a great job of still producing content in a safe manner given all of the hurdles they've had this year. I'm sure when COVID is over they will sprinkle in more variety. 

• Like 1

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

5 hours ago, chocolate_rehab said:

I've said this 1,000 times about this channel - it's my main comment on their content. Matt being basically the only one testing equipment really limits the appeal of their videos for me. My favorite videos of theirs are the ladies, the high handicap fittings, the mid handicap fittings, and everyone with a regular swing getting a benefit from certain equipment, shafts, lofts, etc.

In my 5 years playing golf, I've encountered someone who swings as fast/good as Matt less than a handful of times. For whatever reason, TXG doesn't seem to be willing or able to have some variety in their videos on this anymore.

So yeah, I agree with you. Hopefully we'll see other non-clickbait testing of this shaft from other channels soon.

He’s a scratch golfer . He’s not that good. Some people think he’s a robot with Rory level ball striking when it’s because they can edit out bad shots 

• Confused 1

Also the autoflex is an inch longer. So who knows how much of the speed difference is from the additional length vs the shaft. Honestly the more TXG videos I watch the more it seems they fundamentally neglect very basic, obvious things that would influence their results, in order to drive views. Why wouldn't you compare the two shafts at the same length? 

I'd be interested to see the Autoflex tested against a 48" Ventus R Flex (or A Flex). 

Also - Matt's swing sells.  Many of their viewers just want to watch him swing stuff.  If their mid-cap fittings got clicks - they'd have a lot more mid cap fittings.  Simple as that.

• Like 1

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Looks like Phil and Weir are playing this shaft.  Weir was in the shadows when he was teeing off but it looks like the autoflex.

TSR3 9* | Ventus Blue TR 6X

TSR2+ 13* | Ventus Red 7X 

T200 2-Iron | Ventus Blue HY 10X

T150's 3-PW | DG TI X100

SM10 Raw 

50.12F | DG TI X100

54.12D | DG TI S400

60.08M | DG TI S400

TM MySpider X Blk on Blk 34"

Titleist Pro V1

16 hours ago, pinhigh27 said:

Also the autoflex is an inch longer. So who knows how much of the speed difference is from the additional length vs the shaft. Honestly the more TXG videos I watch the more it seems they fundamentally neglect very basic, obvious things that would influence their results, in order to drive views. Why wouldn't you compare the two shafts at the same length? 

If you listen to what they've said across the Autoflex videos, they are following the manufacturer's guidance because the Autoflex is a different beast.  So they were comparing a fitted "gamer" shaft against what KHT recommended.

Edited by Noodler

1 hour ago, 1s1k said:

Looks like Phil and Weir are playing this shaft.  Weir was in the shadows when he was teeing off but it looks like the autoflex.

Looks like they are both using a KBS although Phil would be at the top of my most likely to try it list. The graphics are very similar. KBS just has red instead of the pink in the same area.

Edited by enfuego
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

3 hours ago, Noodler said:

If you listen to what they've said across the Autoflex videos, they are following the manufacturer's guidance because the Autoflex is a different beast.  So they were comparing a fitted "gamer" shaft against what KHT recommended.

Which is apples to oranges. Don’t say a shaft is going 2.5 mph faster when it’s an inch longer. Could be almost completely from the length itself 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jgard320 said:

I’m having it submitted for bend profile analysis. Played it in a different and lighter head today and had mixed results. I could chase down the right head and make this work, but I think I’m going to stick with my gamer. Will put it on BST once I get it back. 

Send me a pm.  Interested 

Confirmed Phil used the Autoflex at the Masters.  I am very interested in this shaft.  I'm curious to know if there are any plans for a Club Champion or TrueSpec to stock one.  

• Haha 1

SIM 9 Degree set to 10.5 - AD IZ 6TX w/ TP adaptor - plays 44.5"

SIM MAX Ventus Blue 6S - std length

SIM Max 19 Hybrid HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Titleist U510 4I - HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Titleist 620CB 5I-9I - Modus 120X pured/hard stepped, 1 flat

Titleist 620MB PW & Vokey SM8 Raw 50.08F bent 1 weak, 2 flat - X100

Vokey SM8 Raw 54.10S bent 1 weak, 2 flat - S400

Vokey SM8 WW Raw 60 Low K bent 2 flat - S400

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Laguna Two - 36" 

ProV1x - #41

4 minutes ago, kro88 said:

Confirmed Phil used the Autoflex at the Masters.  I am very interested in this shaft.  I'm curious to know if there are any plans for a Club Champion or TrueSpec to stock one.  

How did you confirm this? When I was watching they zoomed in on him and the shaft and it appeared to clearly have KBS on it.

If any are interested in this shaft let me know.  I can get a couple.  Just so everyone knows they are not cheap.  

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

On 11/11/2020 at 11:30 AM, chocolate_rehab said:

I broke down and ordered one, damn this board. I would love to use a PXG head, but will investigate because I want to stay within the D1 - D 1.5 range they suggest.

47" is too long for me, but I would be willing to try 46" and go from there.

I think you might still be able to use the Proto but you just have to take out the heavy 15g weight and replace with a 2.5 or 5 and it would fit within the SW the AutoFlex recommends.  The recommendation is D1.5-D2.5.  The recommendation is 46 playing length.  I have mine at 45.5 to match my Ventus.  So when I was hitting side by side, they were the same length. 

LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

33 minutes ago, My2Dogs said:

If any are interested in this shaft let me know.  I can get a couple.  Just so everyone knows they are not cheap.  

Also 3 wood and hybrid shafts as well.  I have not tested the hybrid though but if anyone’s interested I might be able to get them. 

PXG Hybrid stand bag

They also came out with a new color for the shaft.  Currently checking if it’s available in the 3 wood and hybrid shaft or only driver shaft.  On the website it lists only driver but I’m checking.  They also have irons shafts but man to do the whole bag would be really, really costly.

2595275D-71A4-47A3-8399-8FAC7B5C19B8.jpeg

164EA696-A3CB-4342-B0DF-6B2AC33261AF.jpeg

426C686E-569A-47E3-9AF0-B20CEE59F834.jpeg

• Like 1

PXG Hybrid stand bag

On 11/12/2020 at 3:30 AM, chocolate_rehab said:

I broke down and ordered one, damn this board. I would love to use a PXG head, but will investigate because I want to stay within the D1 - D 1.5 range they suggest.

I put it on my 0811XF head and trimmed it to 45.25” total length and got a D1 sw.

On 11/12/2020 at 3:30 AM, chocolate_rehab said:

I put it on my 0811XF head and trimmed it to 45.25” total length and got a D1 sw.

Mine came in over the weekend.  I built it to play 46” in my mavrik max.  Taking it to the launch monitor tomorrow.  I’ll offer up a full report with numbers when I am done.  I’m a pretty consistent 140mph ball speed player so it’ll be interesting to see what if any gains I can get.  

• Like 3

Titleist             TSR3 10* w/ Tensei 1k white
Callaway       Apex 19' 3 hybrid w/ Nippon GOST tour stiff

NCW                Tour Department DW mid muscle MB 4-PW w/ Modus 105 S
Vokey            SM8 50f, 56s, 60m
Bettinardi       Studio Stock 17

5 hours ago, 3juan8 said:

Awesome! Thank you for the info, that sounds great. PXG is good because of the adjustable weights. I have a Proto X+ coming, so it will either be that or the 0811XF.

I actually managed to snag one locally with a PXG tip that's the full 45", so I can always trim it when I get my grip put on. My bank account hates me, but I'll sell the brand new one.

Confirmed with the OEM that both the standard Pink and Black and Multicolor are available for all driver, FW Wood and Hybrid shafts except for the SF505XX. That is just the Black and Pink. 

PXG Hybrid stand bag