2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Matthew Fitzpatrick whines about BDC...

manku

2 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

Why is the goal to penalize Bryson and neutralize the advantage he has relative to Fitzpatrick ? 

is it really hard to believe that in a game of getting the ball in the hole , that the further you can hit the ball reliably the better ? 

It’s too bad Golfwrx is not old enough. I would have loved to see the conversations about Woods hitting wedge into 15 at Augusta. Jack claims he has been complaining to the USGA since the 70’s lol but I do not recall hearing this volume of complaints back in ‘’97.  Of course hen it would have sounded more like sour grapes as Tiger was playing a wound ball. It’s easier for the old guard to complain now because they did play a different ball in their prime.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9° Tensei Pro Blue 60 

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

5 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

Why is the goal to penalize Bryson and neutralize the advantage he has relative to Fitzpatrick ? 

is it really hard to believe that in a game of getting the ball in the hole , that the further you can hit the ball reliably the better ? 

This has been answered a million times in the distance debates here, come on you have 9,600 posts..

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

An enduring foundation of golf is that success in getting a ball from the tee to the hole in the fewest strokes should depend on using many different skills and judgments, rather than be dominated by only one or a few.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

14 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

This has been answered a million times in the distance debates here, come on you have 9,600 posts..

Perhaps so, but the discussion, as OP titled, should be about what Fitzpatrick said:

“It’s not a skill to hit the ball a long way in my opinion,” Fitzpatrick told reporters. “I could put on 40 pounds. I could go and see a bio-mechanist and I could gain 40 yards; that’s actually a fact.  I could put another two inches on my driver. I could gain that, but the skill in my opinion is to hit the ball straight. That’s the skill, he’s just taking the skill out of it in my opinion." 

Interesting that he didn't mention anything about a ball roll back or the size of driver heads.  Just a little bit of whine.

Is it not the essence of the game of golf to hit the ball both far and accurately?

Another player discrediting his opponent for putting in the hard work under the rules of golf is disgraceful. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

Perhaps so, but the discussion, as OP titled, should be about what Fitzpatrick said:

“It’s not a skill to hit the ball a long way in my opinion,” Fitzpatrick told reporters. “I could put on 40 pounds. I could go and see a bio-mechanist and I could gain 40 yards; that’s actually a fact.  I could put another two inches on my driver. I could gain that, but the skill in my opinion is to hit the ball straight. That’s the skill, he’s just taking the skill out of it in my opinion." 

Interesting that he didn't mention anything about a ball roll back or the size of driver heads.  Just a little bit of whine.

Is it not the essence of the game of golf to hit the ball both far and accurately?

Another player discrediting his opponent for putting in the hard work under the rules of golf is disgraceful. 

I don’t agree with the way Matt expressed himself because it sounds like whining.

but he is spot on, assuming he is saying that swinging hard now counts for proportionately more of your score than it ever used to. 

22 minutes ago, jmck said:

Well the problem is that in '97 Tiger was able to separate himself from the rest of the field with his singular skill.  Since '97, technology has gifted most every golfer on tour that skill.  ONE guy hitting wedge into 15 isn't a problem--that guy's earned it.  The problem is when EVERY guy is hitting wedge into 15.  If it's just one guy, good for him, there isn't any sort of fundamental problem that's changed the nature of the hole/game.  If it's every guy, well then maybe it's time to do something about it.  So you either change the 5 to a 4 on the scorecard and poor Bobby Jones spins in his grave, or you drop $20m buying up the neighbor's land to tack on 100+ yards.  Or you roll the equipment back. 

You've got people in this thread calling Fitzpatrick a "short knocker."  Dude is averaging 310 off the tee.  And he's ranked like 80th or 90th in driving distance.  In '97 you've got Tiger and Daly.  In '87 you had Love and Couples.  In '77 it was--I don't know?--maybe like Jack and Jim Thorpe or Dan Pohl or something?  And so on.  Now it's everyone.  That's not everyone's skill magically getting better in the last 20 years...that's advances in technology evening the playing field and masking the LACK of skill when it comes to hitting the ball TRULY Dead Solid Perfect at very high club head speeds.  

In '97 it was an incredible skill to hit driver like Tiger did.  Him and Daly, and that's it.  Two guys.  People don't want to hear it so they're attacking the messenger, but Fitzpatrick is right on this one.  It used to take such a rare skill to average 300+ off the tee and keep it in play that you could count the number of people in the world who could do so on one hand.  Now you've got an entire tour of guys who can--obviously thanks to technology, though amazingly people will disagree with that--and there's a whole 'nother generation of kids coming up behind them who are going to make 300 look like chicken feed.

Great post. Very compelling writing.  I normally struggle to read all the way through a post that long.  

You seem like a sharp guy, so my question to you is this: do you think they’ll ever actually do anything about this at any level or in any way?

my gut feeling is they won’t.  It’s usually safe to follow the money...and distance is big-business

I enjoy splitting time with vintage equipment on my own golfing time, so I understand the perspective of a need for change, but lately I’ve become pretty indifferent. Mostly because I don’t think any changes will come, so I’ve tried to come to peace with where the game is headed.  

Edited by Dr. Block

1 minute ago, tungstenplug said:

According to your response, Fitzpatrick should be complaining about club and ball technology, not about the hard work of another golfer. I'd personally like clubs and balls to be scaled back or limited further, so I'm a bit disappointed that Fitzpatrick focused his complaints on a specific person rather than the bigger issue. Support from current players could go a long way in getting change to happen

Very fair points.

In Fitzpatrick's defense, trying to put myself in his shoes, I guess I'd say it's hard to rise above it.  Bryson (and his "brand" lol) have sucked a bunch of oxygen out of the room in what's otherwise been a slow season.  It's like when Tiger was at his peak, and they'd go to interview someone who got paired with Tiger after their rounds.  Didn't matter who shot what or how, the questions would all be like "what was it like to play with The Legend, Mr. Tiger Woods?!?!?!"  At some point, you get tired of trying to give a nuanced answer about the evolution of equipment and it's easier to just say 'you know what, screw that one guy who's become the poster child for the evolution of equipment.'

29 minutes ago, jmck said:

Well the problem is that in '97 Tiger was able to separate himself from the rest of the field with his singular skill.  Since '97, technology has gifted most every golfer on tour that skill.  ONE guy hitting wedge into 15 isn't a problem--that guy's earned it.  The problem is when EVERY guy is hitting wedge into 15.  If it's just one guy, good for him, there isn't any sort of fundamental problem that's changed the nature of the hole/game.  If it's every guy, well then maybe it's time to do something about it.  So you either change the 5 to a 4 on the scorecard and poor Bobby Jones spins in his grave, or you drop $20m buying up the neighbor's land to tack on 100+ yards.  Or you roll the equipment back. 

You've got people in this thread calling Fitzpatrick a "short knocker."  Dude is averaging 310 off the tee.  And he's ranked like 80th or 90th in driving distance.  In '97 you've got Tiger and Daly.  In '87 you had Love and Couples.  In '77 it was--I don't know?--maybe like Jack and Jim Thorpe or Dan Pohl or something?  And so on.  Now it's everyone.  That's not everyone's skill magically getting better in the last 20 years...that's advances in technology evening the playing field and masking the LACK of skill when it comes to hitting the ball TRULY Dead Solid Perfect at very high club head speeds.  

In '97 it was an incredible skill to hit driver like Tiger did.  Him and Daly, and that's it.  Two guys.  People don't want to hear it so they're attacking the messenger, but Fitzpatrick is right on this one.  It used to take such a rare skill to average 300+ off the tee and keep it in play that you could count the number of people in the world who could do so on one hand.  Now you've got an entire tour of guys who can--obviously thanks to technology, though amazingly people will disagree with that--and there's a whole 'nother generation of kids coming up behind them who are going to make 300 look like chicken feed.

Great post.

TW was 300+ with a steel head driver and 43 inch steel shaft.

He stuck with that set up for a few years to long and everybody else went graphite/titanium and before you knew it, he was still long but the field had a huge advantage and the 300 yard standard drive was born.

I still maintain the, as crazy as TWs game was, had he grown up with the modern driver set up, he would have won a *lot, and I mean a lot, more.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shilgy said:

I get it and I guess I am just grumpy today. There was a certain charm to golf back in the day. But then it really holds true of most sports. I blame the media. These days it’s either over the top hype or TMZ “journalism”.

No worries.  Im having the same type day.  I dish it and have no problem taking it.  

i guess that charm you mention is what I mean.  Oddly enough I don’t miss it , having started playing only recently ( relatively ) I missed it altogether.  I guess I just need to let that go.  It’s missed , I’m not going to get another shot at it.  I just hate the stance that people have of “ change is progress “.  Not universally so.  

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

45 minutes ago, jmck said:

1000 % yes.   Like I said before.  Once everyone is exceptional , nobody is exceptional.  
Tiger himself is for a rollback and has said that tech took his advantage away.  

• Like 2

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

29 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

Great post. Very compelling writing.  I normally struggle to read all the way through a post that long.  

You seem like a sharp guy, so my question to you is this: do you think they’ll ever actually do anything about this at any level or in any way?

my gut feeling is they won’t.  It’s usually safe to follow the money...and distance is big-business

I enjoy splitting time with vintage equipment on my own golfing time, so I understand the perspective of a need for change, but lately I’ve become pretty indifferent. Mostly because I don’t think any changes will come, so I’ve tried to come to peace with where the game is headed.  

Honestly I think the whole thing entirely hinges on what Augusta feels like doing.  Fred Ridley said as much, in a press conference back in the pre-COVID times.  Basically verbatim: 'well we'll see what the USGA report on distance says, but we reserve the right to act unilaterally.'

It's impossible to underestimate how much water Augusta draws, and how much change they can affect if they so choose.  They simply don't have the workaday concerns that the USGA/R&A have, lawsuits and such.  If they put their foot down and say that anyone who wants to play in their little invitational is going to use a tournament ball then that's that.  And the rest of the golf world will follow.

People should take a quick look at Fred Ridley's wikipedia page.  He's as good as amateur golfers come, and he knows exactly how Augusta is supposed to play, and has lived through the change from the old equipment to the new.  And again, in his own words, he and Augusta can and will act unilaterally if they feel the need to do so.

We'll see what happens, but if there's going to be substantive change it's going to come from Augusta, not from the USGA/R&A.  They might dither away at the edges (a la the groove rule), but don't look for them to quote-unquote "lead" on the issue.  That ship sailed 25 years ago.

• Like 2

Optimized my Cally 9 iron with my fitter tonight

113 speed, 156 carry, 23 launch, 36 height, 50* descent

that was a nutted 7i in my college days, 52 now, the aminals have left the barn

• Like 3

Cally AIS TD 11.5* Ventus Black 5x

Cally AI Smoke TD 16* AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

13 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Great post.

TW was 300+ with a steel head driver and 43 inch steel shaft.

He stuck with that set up for a few years to long and everybody else went graphite/titanium and before you knew it, he was still long but the field had a huge advantage and the 300 yard standard drive was born.

I still maintain the, as crazy as TWs game was, had he grown up with the modern driver set up, he would have won a *lot, and I mean a lot, more.

Yes sir.  Or flip your last paragraph the other way.  If they froze equipment in 1997, TW would've won a lot, and I mean a lot, more.  There's a reason that Nicklaus et al were predicting he'd win 40 majors and 200 tournaments back in '97.  He was that much better than everyone else.  The equipment from 2000 on neutralized a not insignificant portion of his advantage.  Which speaks to Fitzpatrick's point.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, munichop said:

@tgoodspe1991

i disagree about a universal rollback making no difference. Of course it does. Use your 40 yard example. The proximity of a tour pro from 170 vs 210 yards doesn’t change the birdie chances as much as 130-170 yards. So BD is 170 from the hole instead of 130 and MF is 210 instead of 170.  BD still has an advantage but not as much, especially if he is in the rough or has a penalty area to factor.  Now look at the design of the holes. Take 15 at Augusta. Move both players 40 yards back. This was already done but the equipment neutered that. The hole was once 500 yards and a big tee shot left a 5 wood or 3 iron over the water. Now it is 530 but guys are hitting 8 iron.  They talk about shot values there which means consideration about risk before taking on the shot. The equipment has removed a lot of that. 
Sadly  the best young guys now only know 460 cc spring drivers that correct misses. The failures in the governing bodies were in the late 80’s and early 90’s.  The top players play more bomb and gouge because they can. The older equipment didn’t allow it; the penalty for misses was too severe.

@munichop

Except you're not factoring in what clubs they would be using from these distances after the rollback.

Bryson currently hits his 7-iron from 210y, so he would then use 7-iron from the new 170y.

Fitzpatrick averages 294y total driving distance, if you put that up against Trackman charts, his swing speed is probably ~113mph. At that speed, he probably just barely carries his 3-wood 250y. So for the sake of argument, we'll say he would then use his 3-wood from the new 210y.

That would lead to a much, much larger difference in proximity to the hole than we see today. If anything, Fitzpatrick would probably be at an even bigger disadvantage because where he used to use a 5-iron in the green, he's now using a 3-wood. Whereas Dechambeau used to hit his 9-iron from 175y, now he's just using a 7-iron. Not as big of a difference at all for him.

There's a greater likelihood that doing something that would universally roll back distance across the board would hurt the short hitters far worse than it hurts the longest hitters.

Edited by tgoodspe1991
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, jmck said:

Yes sir.  Or flip your last paragraph the other way.  If they froze equipment in 1997, TW would've won a lot, and I mean a lot, more.  There's a reason that Nicklaus et al were predicting he'd win 40 majors and 200 tournaments back in '97.  He was that much better than everyone else.  The equipment from 2000 on neutralized a not insignificant portion of his advantage.  Which speaks to Fitzpatrick's point.  

Rory and Adam Scott, big beneficiaries of the modem setup have expressed the lack of ball working/striking skill with modern equipment.

This is not necessarily directed at BD, he certainly has a ton of athletic ability to kill the ball with the accuracy level he does. And smart of him to leverage the combo of gear and modern setups a get a competitive advantage. 

We can all appreciate piped tee shots but when you see GMac listed as 180th in driving distance 

And his average drive is 300 yards. And 22 guys are *averaging over 320 yards

And 9 guys are averaging over 330 yards! Lol

I mean, can you imagine TW 1.0 with his iron and wedge game out there now blasting 360 yard drives?!

Hed go like 30 under every week. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Rory and Adam Scott, big beneficiaries of the modem setup have expressed the lack of ball working/striking skill with modern equipment.

This is not necessarily directed at BD, he certainly has a ton of athletic ability to kill the ball with the accuracy level he does. And smart of him to leverage the combo of gear and modern setups a get a competitive advantage. 

We can all appreciate piped tee shots but when you see GMac listed as 180th in driving distance 

And his average drive is 300 yards. And 22 guys are *averaging over 320 yards

And 9 guys are averaging over 330 yards! Lol

I mean, can you imagine TW 1.0 with his iron and wedge game out there now blasting 360 yard drives?!

Hed go like 30 under every week. 

Silly straw man argument

Maybe Snead, Hogan and Nelson would have won twice as much with modern stuff or Tigers knee and back would have given out much faster driving between tournaments and playing 36 holes on final day at US Open as they did prior to 1965

The Tiger fanboy stuff is old...He be about over

Edited by miamistomp

38 minutes ago, jmck said:

Honestly I think the whole thing entirely hinges on what Augusta feels like doing.  Fred Ridley said as much, in a press conference back in the pre-COVID times.  Basically verbatim: 'well we'll see what the USGA report on distance says, but we reserve the right to act unilaterally.'

It's impossible to underestimate how much water Augusta draws, and how much change they can affect if they so choose.  They simply don't have the workaday concerns that the USGA/R&A have, lawsuits and such.  If they put their foot down and say that anyone who wants to play in their little invitational is going to use a tournament ball then that's that.  And the rest of the golf world will follow.

People should take a quick look at Fred Ridley's wikipedia page.  He's as good as amateur golfers come, and he knows exactly how Augusta is supposed to play, and has lived through the change from the old equipment to the new.  And again, in his own words, he and Augusta can and will act unilaterally if they feel the need to do so.

We'll see what happens, but if there's going to be substantive change it's going to come from Augusta, not from the USGA/R&A.  They might dither away at the edges (a la the groove rule), but don't look for them to quote-unquote "lead" on the issue.  That ship sailed 25 years ago.

Taking into account all the entities involved, it just seems like a zero-sum game to me.  The folks at Augusta could have the most to lose 

22 minutes ago, miamistomp said:

Silly straw man argument

Maybe Snead, Hogan and Nelson would have won twice as much with modern stuff or Tigers knee and back would have given out much faster driving between tournaments and playing 36 holes on final day at US Open as they did prior to 1965

The Tiger fanboy stuff is old...He be about over

5C29F5C1-093C-47B6-9481-C55D6401D57D.jpeg

No, you miss the point. TW started as a kid with balata and persimmon. Then he played steel headed drivers and shafts. Then, right in his 20s, The entire nature of the driver set up changed completely.

Had he been like, say, Rory, and played The modern set up from childhood to pro, TW would’ve won a lot more. 

You see?

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Back to School!

Saw that in the movies with my knucklehead friends in HS.

Dangerfield and Kinison..RIP.

Man, comedy before the days of PC was the best ; )

Absolutely.  Thankfully we still have Bill Burr to thumb his nose at all things PC. 

19 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

5C29F5C1-093C-47B6-9481-C55D6401D57D.jpeg

No, you miss the point. TW started as a kid with balata and persimmon. Then he played steel headed drivers and shafts. Then, right in his 20s, The entire nature of the driver set up changed completely.

Had he been like, say, Rory, and played The modern set up from childhood to pro, TW would’ve won a lot more. 

You see?

To add a serious reply, you could say not only did he not grow up with it, but he’s never even really chosen to come to terms with it.  He plays a shaft that is basically the same as the one he used 15 years ago (Diamana Whiteboard) and that Bridgestone ball he plays might as well be a balata.  That thing is a spinny marshmallow.

I like to think if he hadn’t wrecked his body with all the roadwork, the whole golf narrative might be very different today, because he’d still be the man. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

To add a serious reply, you could say not only did he not grow up with it, but he’s never even really chosen to come to terms with it.  He plays a shaft that is basically the same as the one he used 15 years ago (Diamana Whiteboard) and that Bridgestone ball he plays might as well be a balata.  That thing is a spinny marshmallow.

I like to think if he hadn’t wrecked his body with all the roadwork, the whole golf narrative might be very different today, because he’d still be the man. 

He's the man because he does play a "spinny marshmallow ball" and X100's and yes, blades. Honest manstick ones at that, (have you ever swung the T's?) lol. His command of spin, of launch and curve is all time great. The gear is part of of that package. Old school is as old school does. No one today is within a country mile close to his talent. But I can think of a few before his time who were.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

He's the man because he does play a "spinny marshmallow ball" and X100's and yes, blades. Honest manstick ones at that, (have you ever swung the T's?) lol. His command of spin, of launch and curve is all time great. The gear is part of of that package. Old school is as old school does. No one today is within a country mile close to his talent. But I can think of a few before his time who were.

I couldn’t agree with you more.  I dig and highly respect every bit of his old school approach, and how he plays the game.  I can’t hit his irons, because I’m a lefty, but I like to play his ball with my 76 Wilson Staff tour blades. 

Back to speaking about his drivers. To me it almost seemed like his interaction with the advances in drivers and shafts tended to hurt his game at times.  All he ever wanted out of the driver was a good tournament ball.  Just something to set the table.  Sure he could mash when he wanted to, but his true mastery of the game began after he got it in the part of the fairway he wanted it in. 

I miss it, I miss watching golf played that way.  I hope his body lets him stick around a bit longer. Now that we have top tracer highlighting his artistry on approaches, watching him has been even more enjoyable then ever before. 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

I couldn’t agree with you more.  I dig and highly respect every bit of his old school approach, and how he plays the game.  I can’t hit his irons, because I’m a lefty, but I like to play his ball with my 76 Wilson Staff tour blades. 

Back to speaking about his drivers. To me it almost seemed like his interaction with the advances in drivers and shafts tended to hurt his game at times.  All he ever wanted out of the driver was a good tournament ball.  Just something to set the table.  Sure he could mash when he wanted to, but his true mastery of the game began after he got it in the part of the fairway he wanted it in. 

I miss it, I miss watching golf played that way.  I hope his body lets him stick around a bit longer. Now that we have top tracer highlighting his artistry on approaches, watching him has been even more enjoyable then ever before. 

I love Rory w/ a driver in his hand, the guy is awesome but he lacks the artistry of Tiger. In a nutshell, that's it for me, the artistry is sidelined, yards off the tee is the barometer of "great". Tiger will be the last billion dollar golfer if something is not re-directed at some point because bombadeer golf don't get it done. The multitudes will not follow Bryson around the course. I know I won't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1