Matthew Fitzpatrick whines about BDC...

manku

5 hours ago, tgoodspe1991 said:

@munichop

Except you're not factoring in what clubs they would be using from these distances after the rollback.

Bryson currently hits his 7-iron from 210y, so he would then use 7-iron from the new 170y.

Fitzpatrick averages 294y total driving distance, if you put that up against Trackman charts, his swing speed is probably ~113mph. At that speed, he probably just barely carries his 3-wood 250y. So for the sake of argument, we'll say he would then use his 3-wood from the new 210y.

That would lead to a much, much larger difference in proximity to the hole than we see today. If anything, Fitzpatrick would probably be at an even bigger disadvantage because where he used to use a 5-iron in the green, he's now using a 3-wood. Whereas Dechambeau used to hit his 9-iron from 175y, now he's just using a 7-iron. Not as big of a difference at all for him.

There's a greater likelihood that doing something that would universally roll back distance across the board would hurt the short hitters far worse than it hurts the longest hitters.

So what? Long, straight hitting SHOULD be an advantage.. are you following the conversation at all??

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Titleist99 said:

The first US Open was played in 1895 at Newport Golf Club at the time it was a nine hole golf course, so the Championship was a 36 hole, one day competition....So, yes! they could hold the 2030 US OPEN there because every one would play the same course and the lowest score would win.......probably Charlie Woods.....any more questions....LOL! 

You and i know that they could, but they won't.  So the question is, why?

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Adam Scott played the first two rounds with Bryson in an event recently and he didn’t think Bryson was that long ... think about that 

Is this a load of he’s a little longer but he won the US Open having an exceptional week .... so the sky is falling?

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

2 hours ago, clevited said:

Come on man, let's not turn this thread into another locked mess.  Stop the insults please. 

You may be right

but Fitz has amongst the most wins of anyone his age. Writing him off as a no one is the height of parochial ignorance 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

You may be right

but Fitz has amongst the most wins of anyone his age. Writing him off as a no one is the height of parochial ignorance 

We all get passionate, I am guilty of it too.  I love these threads when they stay civil and nobody gets too up in arms and condescending.

Edited by clevited

Swing hard in case you hit it!

26 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

You may be right

You need to get out more  if you believe any of those wins ( except the US Amateur) were equal to BAD tour wins

Have another cuppa and relax-capiche

Fitz works on distance or sleeps with the fishes

13 minutes ago, miamistomp said:

You need to get out more  if you believe any of those wins ( except the US Amateur) were equal to BAD tour wins

Have another cuppa and relax-capiche

Fitz works on distance or sleeps with the fishes

Since you don’t have a clue what any of those wins are without looking them up, I’m perfectly relaxed cheers.

one of the nice things about wrx is that the vast majority, American or not, recognise golf is a world game. I’d keep that in mind the next time you don’t want to live down to the murica stereotype..

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, miamistomp said:

He is free to play and win in the USA

Seems like somebody has the Euro tour complex-- 

Bottom line-he isn't in the news so needs to take a shot rather than improve his athletic ability

over and out on this

Not being in your news, stateside, doesn’t mean he isn’t in the news. He has more wins than Morikawa and Wolff combined, the only two younger guys ranked higher than him. He’s kind of a big deal 

10 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

I'm surprised and disappointed how many wrxers seem to support a professional golfer attacking another pro's playing ability under the current USGA's rules of golf.  Fitzpatrick said nothing about equipment.  He attacked Bryson's work ethic, out of the box thinking and his ability to be successful under the current rules.  This seems to have gotten lost or to be forgiven only to fuel the broader "technology is ruining golf" agenda.

Fitzpatrick is essentially saying "I don't like the way Bryson plays and it's not fair".  Is this how those of you who share Fitzpatrick's sentiments feel after a competitor kicks your a**.  If so, you're always going to be the loser, even when you win.   

I think he expressed it poorly. 

I give Bryson all the credit in the world for what he’s done/doing. It’s the authorities that are at fault, not him. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

Not being in your news, stateside, doesn’t mean he isn’t in the news. He has more wins than Morikawa and Wolff combined, the only two younger guys ranked higher than him. He’s kind of a big deal 

Miles

Let it go.  US wins are bigger than Euro wins based of field strength. 

General rule and widely accepted Stateside (my Dad's side it British and Scottish) 

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

6 hours ago, milesgiles said:

So what? Long, straight hitting SHOULD be an advantage.. are you following the conversation at all??

Are you? You clearly didn't comprehend what my post said or what it was even responding to, nor look at my previous posts.

I agree. I love what Bryson is doing and I despise any talk about rolling distances back or altering the game because people are getting stronger, faster, and hitting it further.

Edited by tgoodspe1991
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, tgoodspe1991 said:

Are you? You clearly didn't comprehend what my post said or what it was even responding to, nor look at my previous posts.

I agree. I love what Bryson is doing and I despise any talk about rolling distances back or altering the game because people are getting stronger, faster, and hitting it further.

You were making the point that if there is a rollback, Bryson would still be at an advantage.

WE KNOW THAT. No one in the rollback crowd (me included) is against any one individual. Nobody wants to penalise Bryson. THAT IS NOT WHY WE WANT THE ROLLBACK.

This has been addressed so many times. I can’t believe anyone that reads any distance thread on wrx keeps saying what you are saying. It’s incredibly frustrating

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cardoustie said:

Miles

Let it go.  US wins are bigger than Euro wins based of field strength. 

General rule and widely accepted Stateside (my Dad's side it British and Scottish) 

I think this general rule is very flawed, but I’ll absolutely let it go. It’s not relevant to this thread 

3 hours ago, gvogel said:

You and i know that they could, but they won't.  So the question is, why?

My point is that golf is not about playing the way the architect planned it or hitting long irons into par fours or hitting greens in two on par fives.....golf is strictly about getting around any golf course be it nine, eighteen or twenty two holes in the fewest strokes....now that's the object of the game.....IMO

3 hours ago, cardoustie said:

Adam Scott played the first two rounds with Bryson in an event recently and he didn’t think Bryson was that long ... think about that 

Is this a load of he’s a little longer but he won the US Open having an exceptional week .... so the sky is falling?

Bryson is a different kind of long. He can take lines that maybe no other player can except for Rory, but Rory can't because he's not quite asa long. DJ is every bit as long as Bryson, but if memory serves, his ball flight isn't high enough to take the lines Bryson does.

22 minutes ago, gvogel said:

That is not the way that the USGA and R&A think.  They want golfers to be adequately tested in their major championships.  As Sandy Tatum said, we want to identify the best golfer.  They can't do that on a par 3 course; they can't do that on an easy drive and pitch course.  Increasingly, as equipment allows elite players to play courses with drives and wedges, they are having a hard time identifying the best golfers (over their whole games).

It isn't making players play the way the architect planned, but it is finding a course sufficiently difficult to determine the best player.  Sorry friend, but the equipment has gotten out of hand.

Isn't it about capturing the player that best played said course?  If you really want a true test of skill that is perfectly comparable and really does reward the best player as you just defined, then you would have to tell each player what shot to hit and with which club would you not?  That isn't how golf works.  The lowest score wins.  The course can be set up in whatever way the tournament heads want to in order to help dictate a style of play as best they can, but they cannot control anything.  I think it is foolish to think you can without getting rediculous kind of like I outlined above.

If the course plays easy because its wet and calm wind wise, well then, the person will win that best executes their shots for that given tournament.  If the course is windy and dry, well then the player that can best play the wind usually wins.  I just don't see the logic here.  The definition of what golf is, is completley and utterly subjective and should have no bearing on decisions made that effect all involved with the sport.  

Edit:  If I can win a tournament by only using a putter for every shot then so be it.  There is nothing in the rules that say proper golf requires the use of each club in the bag for a shot of "x" kind "y" many times during the course of a tournament.  The player has to use a club (doesn't matter which one) to advance the ball closer and closer to the hole.  Doing so in fewer shots than your opponent is how you win.  Simples.

Edited by clevited
  • Like 3

Swing hard in case you hit it!

34 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

This is like complaining Shaq was too big, strong, and fast so he should lose weight, not workout at all, and shoot mid-range jumpers all the time. Fitzpatrick is just being a little bi***.

Nah.  This is like watching Nike create magical rocket shoes which increase everyone's vert by 24", then insisting that everything's fine with the NBA despite the magic shoes and anyone who says otherwise--or dares suggest that the rim should be raised!--is just being a complainer. 

Bryson could keep going until he looks like a young Schwarzenegger, but take modern equipment away from him and he's SOL with his current swing/game plan.  The equipment is the chicken here, Bryson is the egg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oikos1 said:

I'm surprised and disappointed how many wrxers seem to support a professional golfer attacking another pro's playing ability under the current USGA's rules of golf.  Fitzpatrick said nothing about equipment.  He attacked Bryson's work ethic, out of the box thinking and his ability to be successful under the current rules.  This seems to have gotten lost or to be forgiven only to fuel the broader "technology is ruining golf" agenda.

Fitzpatrick is essentially saying "I don't like the way Bryson plays and it's not fair".  Is this how those of you who share Fitzpatrick's sentiments feel after a competitor kicks your a**.  If so, you're always going to be the loser, even when you win.   

It’s not that at all. It’s a disagreement with those rules that allows for the gains .  That’s the gripe.  Bryson is the symptom.  Not the problem.  

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, Titleist99 said:

My point is that golf is not about playing the way the architect planned it or hitting long irons into par fours or hitting greens in two on par fives.....golf is strictly about getting around any golf course be it nine, eighteen or twenty two holes in the fewest strokes....now that's the object of the game.....IMO

I ask this respectfully and hope for a thoughtful answer.  

why are there rules then ?  If that’s The only goal , to get around in fewest shots , why are there any rules ? 

my opinion is that there is indeed an idea as to how it should be played . Many rules hint or directly speak to this.  

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

31 minutes ago, clevited said:

Isn't it about capturing the player that best played said course?  If you really want a true test of skill that is perfectly comparable and really does reward the best player as you just defined, then you would have to tell each player what shot to hit and with which club would you not?  That isn't how golf works.  The lowest score wins.  The course can be set up in whatever way the tournament heads want to in order to help dictate a style of play as best they can, but they cannot control anything.  I think it is foolish to think you can without getting rediculous kind of like I outlined above.

If the course plays easy because its wet and calm wind wise, well then, the person will win that best executes their shots for that given tournament.  If the course is windy and dry, well then the player that can best play the wind usually wins.  I just don't see the logic here.  The definition of what golf is, is completley and utterly subjective and should have no bearing on decisions made that effect all involved with the sport.  

Edit:  If I can win a tournament by only using a putter for every shot then so be it.  There is nothing in the rules that say proper golf requires the use of each club in the bag for a shot of "x" kind "y" many times during the course of a tournament.  The player has to use a club (doesn't matter which one) to advance the ball closer and closer to the hole.  Doing so in fewer shots than your opponent is how you win.  Simples.

I stand by my statement, and I think that the USGA thinks approximately according to my statement.  And since they have been the rules making body for US golf, they actually get to determine if the equipment has gone too far.  Now, the PGA Tour could come up with their own set of equipment rules; but I think that the US Open, Open Championship and Masters will be conducted according to the equipment specs that the USGA/R&A decide.

So you might as well get used to the change.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Isn't the point of baseball to score runs?

So if they use Ti bats that works right?

If they bring in the fences that works right?

When they had a steroid  issue, that worked right? 

Well apparently MLB did not think so.

Golf is the only major sport that does not bifurcate. Think about that one.

Football, basketball, hockey & baseball bifurcate. Golf with all it's pretense and empty rhetoric of respect for the game, not only does not bifurcate it steam rolls tradition and history. All so Joe EE Fats moves the ball 15 yards further down the fairway, which allows Protein Boy to launch the game over the trees and out of the arena of play. Thereby leaving the "fan" getting wet in the crotch over "bombs" that annihilate the original intent and design aspect of the course. So Augusta, it was nice,  but your days are numbered. Amazing to think a guy who played gutta & hickory designed that beauty.

I'll get off my soap box from here, cheers. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gvogel said:

I stand by my statement, and I think that the USGA thinks approximately according to my statement.  And since they have been the rules making body for US golf, they actually get to determine if the equipment has gone too far.  Now, the PGA Tour could come up with their own set of equipment rules; but I think that the US Open, Open Championship and Masters will be conducted according to the equipment specs that the USGA/R&A decide.

So you might as well get used to the change.

Everyone should also be prepared for whatever action the RBs take to be a failure.  Their track record in this regard speaks for itself.

• Like 2