Dirt cheap rangefinders on Amazon. Worth it?

larciel

I lost my Bushnell v5 after 3 months because the darn thing camouflages with the cart color and I left it stuck to the metal. 

I was looking at Amazon and saw bunch of slope-enabled rangefinders for less than $100.  Review looks good and for the price, what da hel.l 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SQXKPW2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My friend in the industry told me the rangefinder technology is so old and hasn't improved much at all over the years. So I feel like this isn't 'You get what you pay off' 

I'll update later this week!

Looks pretty good, but reviews do not seem so good.  I picked up the $130 Caddytek with Slope from Costco, and that has been great.  I don't see the need to go with the $300 ones, but you might be better off stepping up a bit and getting another one like the Caddytek.  Let us know how it goes.

Edited by jeffrey r
  • Like 3

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

3 hours ago, larciel said:

I lost my Bushnell v5 after 3 months because the darn thing camouflages with the cart color and I left it stuck to the metal. 

I was looking at Amazon and saw bunch of slope-enabled rangefinders for less than $100.  Review looks good and for the price, what da hel.l 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SQXKPW2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My friend in the industry told me the rangefinder technology is so old and hasn't improved much at all over the years. So I feel like this isn't 'You get what you pay off' 

I'll update later this week!

Welcome to the club. I've lost 2 Bushnell XEs this way. The trick is to always throw the case in the cart basket as a reminder to get the damn rangefinder off the cart. That being said my friend has one of the cheap slope rangefinders from amazon. They work OK. The distances are similar +-2 yards, but what is really lacking is the optics in comparison to Bushnell. 

Ping G425 Max Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 3W Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Ping G425 3H, 4H Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80S

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW KBS C-Taper Lite S 

Taylormade Milled Grind 2 56* 

Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 60*

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H3 Stability Shaft

Srixon Z-Star Yellow

Ping DLX Cart Bag

I think it depends.  I know bad answer.  But a couple of months ago I was paired with a couple guys, one had a Nikon, i had my Bushnell w/slope and jolt, and the third guy had one of the off brands (can't remember the name) and his was consistently 10-15 yards short of what me and the Nikon were shooting.  So you get what you pay for to some extent.  And the kicker?  Guy with the cheap rangefinder climbed into his Porsche after the round and drove off.

• Haha 3

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Put your car keys in the pocket of your golf bag that you store your range finder in.  You can't leave without your keys right?

• Like 1

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

lost my bushnell which I had owned for about 8 years. Bought a cheap tec tec tec. AFter a year of owning it's maybe 50/50 to show a yardage > 150 and is often off by 10+ yards. Thing is a total POS. 

Would not buy a cheapo at all. Get the gold standard bushnell. It will last you a long time if you take care of it and cost 100 bucks more. 

• Like 1

Got it today

I also bought white color one for $110 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B083R4YCJD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and they are identical (aside from the color) . Same model name, design, functionality. 

I tested it out with my Bushnell and it is within 1 yard. I tested it from my backyard so everything was within 100 yds.

Number is bit harder to see than Bushnell, but I actually like the focus ring rotates MUCH better than Bushnell V5. That thing focus was POS.

I have to test it out at a field, but at $80, it looks like a winner.!!

(Bonus: you get a wristband! it'll make it easier to notice when stuck on the cart metal)

$11 more for magnetic

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WFS78F7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by larciel

23 hours ago, larciel said:

Got it today

I also bought white color one for $110 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B083R4YCJD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and they are identical (aside from the color) . Same model name, design, functionality. 

I tested it out with my Bushnell and it is within 1 yard. I tested it from my backyard so everything was within 100 yds.

Number is bit harder to see than Bushnell, but I actually like the focus ring rotates MUCH better than Bushnell V5. That thing focus was POS.

I have to test it out at a field, but at $80, it looks like a winner.!!

(Bonus: you get a wristband! it'll make it easier to notice when stuck on the cart metal)

$11 more for magnetic

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WFS78F7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought one at the beginning of the year and works awesome. Definitely recommend they are 20% right now on Amazon. 

AOFAR GX-2S Golf Rangefinder Slope on/Off, Flag-Lock with Vibration, 600 Yards Range Finder, 6X 25mm Waterproof, Carrying Case, Free Battery, Gift Packaging https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SQXKPW2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_okkPFbWPY0FSH

Titleist TSI3 10

TM Sim Rocket 

TM Sim 2 TI 5 wood

TM 790 UDI 2 iron

Titleist T 200s 4-pw

TM Milled grind 50,56,60

Toulon Chicago 

www.nike.com

As most have said, I think it depends. I bought one years ago (Tec Tec Tec or something like that was the brand). Worked great for about a year, spot on yardages +/-1 yard with my playing partners higher end finders. Sadly, after about a year the distance became way off anything over 100 yards and I ended up getting rid of it. Think your basically taking a gamble if it will hold up or not. For some they will, for some they wont.

Cobra LtdX LS - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red/Purple 6S

Cobra SZ Tour - 16.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Cobra Radspeed Hybrid - 19 Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699u Pro 4i - Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699 Pro 5-AW - Project X 5.5 Flighted

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54 and RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 - MH insert at 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - Triple Track

I bought two different 100 dollar range ones to compare and was hugely disappointed even at $100. (Peak pulse and gogogo) . Blurry and super slow to process the distances. I did get a caddytek off Costco for $129 and was so impressed I ditched my Bushnell v2. Same distances as my friends V5. So my advice is get the caddytek if you’re looking for a good inexpensive replacement. 

I got this one. I have a GPS as well, but wanted something so that I could shoot trees, sand, corners, etc. So far it has been excellent. +/- 1 yard from Leupold and Bushnell. So far I have been really happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F33HVL7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I have the Wosports I have been using for 3 years.

Its been pretty good.

I did have one where the battery cover kept coming loose making the contact with the battery not so good so it was hard to use. Reached out to seller and they replaced it no questions asked.

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Alternative viewpoint...I have a Bushnell. The first one kept draining batteries, and every time I contacted Bushnell they basically accused me of not knowing how to insert the battery and even sent me an instruction sheet. I finally got angry enough and got someone to at least let me send it in to get checked. They checked it, sent it back and said it was OK. But within a week my battery was dead again. So again I called and finally got the right person I guess.  They apologized and sent me a replacement and told me to keep the old one. The replacement has been better (I’ve had it several years and have maybe had to replace the battery three times. BUT, it stopped working one day (somehow one of the battery wires broke in half).  I just bought some electronics equipment and spliced the new wire back in myself and it works fine now and has for over two years. But I think next time I buy one I’m going Leupold. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LeftDaddy said:

Alternative viewpoint...I have a Bushnell. The first one kept draining batteries, and every time I contacted Bushnell they basically accused me of not knowing how to insert the battery and even sent me an instruction sheet. I finally got angry enough and got someone to at least let me send it in to get checked. They checked it, sent it back and said it was OK. But within a week my battery was dead again. So again I called and finally got the right person I guess.  They apologized and sent me a replacement and told me to keep the old one. The replacement has been better (I’ve had it several years and have maybe had to replace the battery three times. BUT, it stopped working one day (somehow one of the battery wires broke in half).  I just bought some electronics equipment and spliced the new wire back in myself and it works fine now and has for over two years. But I think next time I buy one I’m going Leupold. 

Bushnells are notorious for battery issues. I think I’ve replaced my leupold battery only 3 or 4 times in nearly 10 years.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2020 at 5:51 PM, the bishop said:

I think it depends.  I know bad answer.  But a couple of months ago I was paired with a couple guys, one had a Nikon, i had my Bushnell w/slope and jolt, and the third guy had one of the off brands (can't remember the name) and his was consistently 10-15 yards short of what me and the Nikon were shooting.  So you get what you pay for to some extent.  And the kicker?  Guy with the cheap rangefinder climbed into his Porsche after the round and drove off.

100 yds = 91.44 meters (~9 diff)

150 yds = 137.16 meters (~13 diff)

I say this because I would inadvertently hit a wrong button on my old RF to go from yards to meters and it drove me nuts.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

I bought a Simmons for about $65 off amazon a few years ago. It works alright. Not much use over 200 yards. Sometimes has a hard time picking up the pin on long distances. But it’s generally within a couple yards of my gps distances and good for 95% of my needs

JPX EZ driver

Cally X hot 16* fwy

G20 3-4 hybrids

JPX Hot Metal irons

jpx wedges

Rife 2 bar

I had a Caddytek V2 with Slope from Costco for a couple of years and loved it, but it had no "jolt" recognition of the flag.  I noticed that recent descriptions of the Caddytek V2 described the pin-seeking confirmation.  So I was just able to return my old Caddytek to Costco for a refund, and purchase the new one, which indeed does have the pin-seeking confirmation. 

For whatever reason, the Caddytek is not on Costco's site at the moment, but it remains a steal at $130 shipped with Costco's return policy.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

I do like the Upside Golf range finders and will most likely get one once my current range finder ever dies.

It has a magnet built in (a really strong one) and all the features you'll want.

They are local to me too so its nice to support.

I do have a referral link if interested not sure if that's ok here though (black friday 20% off is happening right now too)

https://upsidegolf.com/?rfsn=4769824.8f21cb8

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE