2021 Callaway Epic Speed, Epic Max, Epic LS drivers (in-hand photos)

GolfWRX

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

So I have three shafts that on paper are pretty similar:

Pro 62 Green stiff

ProLaunch Blue reg

Project X Black 5.5

The Pro 62 is a perfect mate for my Rogue SZ but didn’t work well in the Epic Speed. I tried the ProLaunch today and it didn’t work well either. 

It was really interesting to use impact stickers while rolling through these shafts. With the PX Black and the Epic Speed, I can put 3-4 impact marks right in the center of the sticker. With the ProLaunch they’re all over the place. I assume the Pro 62 Green was the same though I didn’t use a sticker with it. 

It’s obvious to me now that even when two shafts have similar frequencies and bend profiles they can give very different results in strike pattern. The combination of the head weight plus the balance point, torque and kick point of the shaft combine to create “fit” and you just have to try it to see it for yourself because every combo is unique. Every swing too. 

While I saved a lot of money on a detailed fitting and purchasing the club at retail, somehow I ended up more sold on fitting than before. Guess I had to convince myself. 

Now it’s got me thinking about my irons and how well the shafts I’m using really fit me. I make them work, but now I wonder. 

Great job my friend......I was in a similar boat and blue Mitsubishi just fits my swing perfectly......Tensei AV better in the tip than CK (lower torque)  and it shows...... gbb epic 17 works great with attas gogo ......but overall,  blueboard profile is just perfect for ME! 

Continue success........#SPEEDRULZ

9 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

Great job my friend......I was in a similar boat and blue Mitsubishi just fits my swing perfectly......Tensei AV better in the tip than CK (lower torque)  and it shows...... gbb epic 17 works great with attas gogo ......but overall,  blueboard profile is just perfect for ME! 

I think the part that surprised me most is how the shaft that works perfectly in one head can be wrong in a head that is not all that different in terms of weight and such. That's an eye opener. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

14 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I think the part that surprised me most is how the shaft that works perfectly in one head can be wrong in a head that is not all that different in terms of weight and such. That's an eye opener. 

I played an ATMOS Black in my Mavrik and now I have a Tensei CK Pro Blue in my Max LS - completely different shafts and profiles by a mile

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I know you guys were wondering, but not ALL PGA pros are using the Speed Triple Diamond and we haden't found a pic yet of someone with a Max LS (even though it's used quite a bit by the Callaway instagram staff and some LPGA players)

Here is someone (KH Lee?) using a retail (probably tour issue serial with COR testing) Max LS:

IMG_3637.jpeg.4592783e4536efdb17cdd30501

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Just now, third-times-a-charm said:

I played an ATMOS Black in my Mavrik and now I have a Tensei CK Pro Blue in my Max LS - completely different shafts and profiles by a mile

Right??

In a way I got very lucky that one of the shafts I already own turned out to be a good fit and let me find center contact consistently. My friend was fit for his Speed and did a long shoot out against other contenders. Prior to this week I'd have said I thought he overpaid for the club and the fitting experience, but that extra couple of hundred dollars was probably worth it in the end. He was playing a 10-year old driver and will probably play this one for a long time to come, and he *knows* it fit him better than anything else available this season. 

I'm honestly rethinking the fit of my iron shafts now. Though they seem to work well for my swing, I'll be using those impact stickers to see what kind of consistency I'm actually getting. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Played my first round yesterday with my Max LS w/ Rdx blue 60tx. Point and shoot. Very stable, perfect flight and long. Had some terrible swings and it was still in play and distance was hardly effected. 

Read through this thread and tried the -1/D setting that many said worked for them and was perfect. 

It’s in the bag for good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ai Smoke 9* 🔹🔹🔹w/ Accra TZ6 ST

OG Sim Ti 16.5 w/ D+ LTD 80TX

Cobra King Tec 19* w/ TZ6 95M5

T200-T150 4-PW w/ Accra TZi 115's

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 46* bent to 48* w/ Accra TZi 115

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 & 54* & Vokey SM9 58M* D grind w/ PX LS 6.0's

LAB DF3

Chrome Tour

17 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

Epic journey UPDATE! 

After 2 weeks or so with the 9* Max LS MMT 60S (set +1/N), I wasn't digging the misses that would go too low and drop out of the air. I went and changed it to a 10.5* Max LS (set standard), w/ MMT 60S. I looked at a few and the one I got sits dead square. 2 sessions in and it's a notable improvement. Ball flight is higher on all accounts, but still piercing, with plenty of runout. I don't know if there was some sort of tolerance difference between the 2 MMTs I got, but the first 1 was definitely different feeling than the current one I have. It feels like the one I was fitted in and very similar to what people are describing "blueboard feel, with whiteboard characteristics". 

I had a head to head with my friend who has the Epic Speed in the same shaft. I took a few swings with his and mine as a direct comparison (bc I couldn't get your post out of my head about the Speed! 🤔). Definitely love the look and sound of the Speed, but performance for me was better on the Max LS. On the course, I suspected the spin numbers were not right for me with the Speed, just as the fitting showed. 

I have a Fuji Speeder Evo II getting the tip installed right now (there's a 10 day clubwork backlog?!?!). When I was getting fit, I also asked to try the Diamana BF but the numbers weren't as good. If this MMT keeps performing the way it has been, I won't need to try anything else.

In summary, I would echo what people have said here, the Max LS is not an "ultralow" spin version of the Epic, like a subzero or the black diamonds. It is the Max with a few hundred less rpms. Callaway's selling drivers that fit 80+ of players, not the tour players. I think the "LS"-type designations have become linked to "tour" or "better player" clubs, which translates to sales. They will probably have the "black diamond" or other versions for ultra-low spin players to address those needs. 

• Like 3

Audi A-Fore

Titleist TSR3 10* (D4), GD UB-6S

Cobra LTDx 15* HZRDUS Blue S (@ 16* )
TM M2 18*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S
Titleist 816 21*, Tensei Blue S
Mizuno 223 Nippon Modus 105s (5-GW)

Titleist Vokey 54*
Titleist Vokey Gunblue 58* M Grind, 58* Low Bounce K
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1.5 (2010), On the Bench: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

7 minutes ago, Audi A-Fore said:

Epic journey UPDATE! 

After 2 weeks or so with the 9* Max LS MMT 60S (set +1/N), I wasn't digging the misses that would go too low and drop out of the air. I went and changed it to a 10.5* Max LS (set standard), w/ MMT 60S. I looked at a few and the one I got sits dead square. 2 sessions in and it's a notable improvement. Ball flight is higher on all accounts, but still piercing, with plenty of runout. I don't know if there was some sort of tolerance difference between the 2 MMTs I got, but the first 1 was definitely different feeling than the current one I have. It feels like the one I was fitted in and very similar to what people are describing "blueboard feel, with whiteboard characteristics". 

I had a head to head with my friend who has the Epic Speed in the same shaft. I took a few swings with his and mine as a direct comparison (bc I couldn't get your post out of my head about the Speed! 🤔). Definitely love the look and sound of the Speed, but performance for me was better on the Max LS. On the course, I suspected the spin numbers were not right for me with the Speed, just as the fitting showed. 

I have a Fuji Speeder Evo II getting the tip installed right now (there's a 10 day clubwork backlog?!?!). When I was getting fit, I also asked to try the Diamana BF but the numbers weren't as good. If this MMT keeps performing the way it has been, I won't need to try anything else.

In summary, I would echo what people have said here, the Max LS is not an "ultralow" spin version of the Epic, like a subzero or the black diamonds. It is the Max with a few hundred less rpms. Callaway's selling drivers that fit 80+ of players, not the tour players. I think the "LS"-type designations have become linked to "tour" or "better player" clubs, which translates to sales. They will probably have the "black diamond" or other versions for ultra-low spin players to address those needs. 

Thanks for the report.  I similarly tried a 9* Max LS, with similar subpar results.  Returned it, and have stuck with my 9* Epic Max for the time being.  I just might use my return credit on a 10.5* Max LS.   A bit of a gamble in light of the less than stellar results with the 9*, but I think it might be worth a try.   Seems that some people are getting on much better with the 10.5* over the 9*.

I have really been enjoying the Epic Max, and have kind of settled in with a couple of shafts that were tops in my Mavrik--Rogue White 60 R and GD G 60 R.  Bouncing back and forth between the two shafts to see what sticks, while sprinkling in some testing with other shafts I have around.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

57 minutes ago, Audi A-Fore said:

Epic journey UPDATE! 

Yeah kinda wish I'd gotten to hit 10.5* head ......but I'm GOOD! Lol

45 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Thanks for the report.  I similarly tried a 9* Max LS, with similar subpar results.  Returned it, and have stuck with my 9* Epic Max for the time being.  I just might use my return credit on a 10.5* Max LS.   A bit of a gamble in light of the less than stellar results with the 9*, but I think it might be worth a try.   Seems that some people are getting on much better with the 10.5* over the 9*.

I have really been enjoying the Epic Max, and have kind of settled in with a couple of shafts that were tops in my Mavrik--Rogue White 60 R and GD G 60 R.  Bouncing back and forth between the two shafts to see what sticks, while sprinkling in some testing with other shafts I have around.

What flight and dispersion pattern are you seeing with MAX?

18 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

What flight and dispersion pattern are you seeing with MAX?

Flight is penetrating, but definitely gets up without an issue.  I sometimes have trouble launching 9* heads at standard loft, but have no real troubles with the 9* Max.  That said, I do generally see better performance at +1.  Probably a little more loft, being a little more forgiving.

Dispersion is pretty tight, but obviously subject to my imperfect driver swing.  It's a very forgiving head, and a real pleasure to play.  No issues at all with feel or sound.  YMMV.   

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jgreer1421 said:

Played my first round yesterday with my Max LS w/ Rdx blue 60tx. Point and shoot. Very stable, perfect flight and long. Had some terrible swings and it was still in play and distance was hardly effected. 

Read through this thread and tried the -1/D setting that many said worked for them and was perfect. 

It’s in the bag for good!

Did you try any other shafts before deciding on this set up? Maybe the Ventus Blue or anything?

I want to like the RDX Blue and I want to like the Ventus Blue. I too want to like the Max LS!

25 minutes ago, LanceEA said:

Did you try any other shafts before deciding on this set up? Maybe the Ventus Blue or anything?

I want to like the RDX Blue and I want to like the Ventus Blue. I too want to like the Max LS!

Lol....I didn’t do much testing with the Max LS and different shaft combos, but I’ve done my fair share of hoeing over the last year with the mavrik sz and sim. I haven’t tried the Ventus blue, but liked the Ventus black a lot....I know the profiles are different, but there’s more than one way to do it I guess lol.  From my research and discussions I’ve had with people that have tried both is the VBlue feels a little looser, and the rdx is a happy medium for my liking. 

The two that have done the best for me from my testing was the rdx blue and the rogue white.....which they could be used interchangeably, but I think the rdx feels a little smoother....and not that it matters, but the pvd blue finish is really sharp looking lol.

Come to Michigan, I’ll let you hit it!

Edited by jgreer1421

Ai Smoke 9* 🔹🔹🔹w/ Accra TZ6 ST

OG Sim Ti 16.5 w/ D+ LTD 80TX

Cobra King Tec 19* w/ TZ6 95M5

T200-T150 4-PW w/ Accra TZi 115's

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 46* bent to 48* w/ Accra TZi 115

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 & 54* & Vokey SM9 58M* D grind w/ PX LS 6.0's

LAB DF3

Chrome Tour

Reading so many are seeing good results with MMT, I am tempted to try MMT too. This year's stock shafts offering from Callaway really intrigued me and i got iM60 6.0 for my epic flash sz. I'm having a fantastic result with it. Well, should I try MMT too? Those shafts are so tempting as I can get one for around $100. Anyone tried both shafts? im60 feels just so stable and it feels very alive unlike other project x ones. 

Max LS hit a new high today, played this morning in cold (for Florida 46*) and very windy. Hit 100% of the fairways, played at 6,350 yds and with the wind played a lot longer on the into the wind holes which seemed to 75% of them. 

Not being a long hitter I can hit driver on every par 4 and 5 and not get into trouble and today I just picked a line and most of the time hit that line or if not, no problem it was still in the fairway. I have had a lot of Drivers in my years playing and never had one this accurate. I wish I could say the same thing about my iron play, which was not terrible but for being in every fairway the GIR's were awful. 

Edited by Jim53
  • Like 3

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

Had my first round with the Epic Speed today. For those scoring at home this is a 10.5* head with a Project X 5.5 shaft. 

This was a course I have played a lot so I have a pretty good handle on where my drives usually end up. My drives with the Epic Speed found very similar places today. There were no drives that were particularly long or particularly short. It was pretty breezy and the fairways were soft and I found mud on my ball many times through the course of the round, so it's possible that more distance awaits when summer rolls around. 

The biggest thing I noticed though was that it was so very easy to put the ball on my intended line. Pretty much point and shoot accuracy. That's a great feeling. I felt like I was finding the center of the clubface all day. 

I am still feeling like I'm hitting the ball too high for maximum distance (using the stated loft/draw setting). But any time I dial it down to 9.5 I start to get some cut spin and it hurts my accuracy while not helping with distance. 

I'm going to play with tee height some. I also have 2g and 3g weights that I can sub in for the 5g weight. I'm really skeptical whether 2 or 3 grams can make a difference in lowering the flight and/or feeling the clubhead differently through the swing, but then I was also skeptical about shaft fitting and have learned my lesson there. 😄

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Well, let me drop 2s here...

❤ Callaway Chrome Soft X Low Spin. WOW. Just WOW. If there was a ball and driver made for each other, this is it. As I said in the Ball forum, this ball is very much like the 2012 XV ball before Srixon mangled it with their stupid SpinSkin crap.

❤  Epic Max LS with the Ventus Black Velocore this time. This shaft is a little tip stiffer than the Blue Velocore last week. I like this but I just feel I can draw the Blue better with my swing. Plus it's also going to take some time to tune this driver - either the Blue or Black.

As for distance, I hit it just as far as I did with my Cobra Pars and Stripes. It's not short with either Velocores. However, I feel I am not swinging it as fast as my Cobra because I am still not quite use to it.

One BIG difference is that the Max LS is STRAIGHTER than the Cobra. As it was last week, so it was this week. Balls that I thought were going right but no. Hooks were the same too, still on my fairway so I guess I can't call it a hook either. Seriously stupid. Most of the time, point and shoot.

One slight change was that I replaced the weight with an Epic Flash 15.5 gm and put away the other combo (Max LS lower weight + GBB Epic 16gm). This new combo is .5 gm lighter. I don't see any issues with how the weight sits in the track. Visually, it looks pretty good and tight. No significant gaps or anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

1 hour ago, SwingBlues said:

Well, let me drop 2s here...

❤ Callaway Chrome Soft X Low Spin. WOW. Just WOW. If there was a ball and driver made for each other, this is it. As I said in the Ball forum, this ball is very much like the 2012 XV ball before Srixon mangled it with their stupid SpinSkin crap.

❤  Epic Max LS with the Ventus Black Velocore this time. This shaft is a little tip stiffer than the Blue Velocore last week. I like this but I just feel I can draw the Blue better with my swing. Plus it's also going to take some time to tune this driver - either the Blue or Black.

As for distance, I hit it just as far as I did with my Cobra Pars and Stripes. It's not short with either Velocores. However, I feel I am not swinging it as fast as my Cobra because I am still not quite use to it.

One BIG difference is that the Max LS is STRAIGHTER than the Cobra. As it was last week, so it was this week. Balls that I thought were going right but no. Hooks were the same too, still on my fairway so I guess I can't call it a hook either. Seriously stupid. Most of the time, point and shoot.

One slight change was that I replaced the weight with an Epic Flash 15.5 gm and put away the other combo (Max LS lower weight + GBB Epic 16gm). This new combo is .5 gm lighter. I don't see any issues with how the weight sits in the track. Visually, it looks pretty good and tight. No significant gaps or anything.

This is good. I’m about to put a Ventus Blue Velocore 50 stiff (actual weight is 59 grams) in a 9.0 Max LS as a tryout so I like hearing it is easier to draw. I have a Ventus Red 7S in a fairway and it’s excellent. The Blue 50 stiff is only 6 grams lighter than the 60 stiff and the tip/butt stiffness specs on the Fuji site are in my range. Not much difference between the 50 and 60 stiffs. 

It was love at first strike with the Ventus Red in a 3 wood and I’m probably going to steer clear of the Black. I don’t care for a stout feel but I do like stability, just with a little livelieness. The more stout the shaft feels to me, the faster my tempo gets, club speed goes down and inconsistent strikes increase. If the Blue is a no go I may try a Red in the driver as well, but am hoping the Blue makes for a nice combo. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Both of my Ventus was "inadvertently" tipped 3/4" (long story, played out on another thread here) and both are playing at 44 1/2" length. The tipping is really makes the Blue even better for my swing. Although, thnking about it, the Black could have done without it, imho but what can I do, I am stuck with it now.

I had the stock Hzrdus IM10 that came with the head, did not like that shaft at all. Much prefer the Hzrdus Green that I once had in a SIM. The IM10 was smooth but so dead. Like totally. Now, I might be spoilt by the Velocores...

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

I replaced my 9* F9 with a 9*  Epic Max w/ MMT 60S earlier this year and the results have been fantastic.  I'm a low single figure player who swings it at ~105 MPH.  My ego wasn't expecting to get along with the "higher handicap" forgiving model, however I'm glad I didn't listen to my ego.  My misses with the Cobra were on the high toe and would spin at ~1200rpm and turn hard left before falling out of the sky and running into trouble.  The extra spin and forgiveness of the Epic Max has turned these disaster shots into playable misses.  I've played 6 rounds with the Max and have yet to take a penalty stroke or find myself in a recovery shot situation off of the tee.  

My typical ball flight is a draw and my miss is left, so it took a bit of work to get the Epic Max to work for me as I prefer fade biased drivers.  The key changes were: weight in the toe, shorter playing length at 45", tour flat adapter to flatten the lie ~2* and turning the loft down from 9* to 8* to open the face a bit.  Now I have an uber forgiving driver where my typical shot is a high baby draw and my miss just floats down the right-hand side and doesn't draw.  I'm probably giving up 5 yards to the Cobra on my best strikes due to additional spin, but I've never been more confident that I can hit my driver where I want to and stay out of trouble.  It has been a complete revelation.  

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym 9* w/ Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S

Callaway Paradym 16.5* w/ Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70S

Titleist 915F 21* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Ping G410 Hybrid 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Srixon z785 5-P w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 50*, 54*, 58* w/ DG Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Golo S5

Bridgestone Tour BX

7 minutes ago, kintap said:

I replaced my 9* F9 with a 9*  Epic Max w/ MMT 60S earlier this year and the results have been fantastic.  I'm a low single figure player who swings it at ~105 MPH.  My ego wasn't expecting to get along with the "higher handicap" forgiving model, however I'm glad I didn't listen to my ego.  My misses with the Cobra were on the high toe and would spin at ~1200rpm and turn hard left before falling out of the sky and running into trouble.  The extra spin and forgiveness of the Epic Max has turned these disaster shots into playable misses.  I've played 6 rounds with the Max and have yet to take a penalty stroke or find myself in a recovery shot situation off of the tee.  

My typical ball flight is a draw and my miss is left, so it took a bit of work to get the Epic Max to work for me as I prefer fade biased drivers.  The key changes were: weight in the toe, shorter playing length at 45", tour flat adapter to flatten the lie ~2* and turning the loft down from 9* to 8* to open the face a bit.  Now I have an uber forgiving driver where my typical shot is a high baby draw and my miss just floats down the right-hand side and doesn't draw.  I'm probably giving up 5 yards to the Cobra on my best strikes due to additional spin, but I've never been more confident that I can hit my driver where I want to and stay out of trouble.  It has been a complete revelation.  

It seems like that's where it's at with this year's crop of Callaway drivers. Confidence-inspiring accuracy, and plenty of fit options. Distance promises not necessary. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

2 hours ago, kintap said:

I concur.  I am several rounds in with the Epic Max, and frickin' love this thing.  Most confidence I have had in years, and I loved the standard Mavrik last season.  Mav Max did not really work for me.  I tried to make the B21 work for me, but it was not really clicking.  Epic Max is everything I loved about the Mavrik, but more forgiving, and more adjustability with the sliding weight.  No issues with launch with the 9* head, typically playing +1 on the adapter.

This early season performance is all the more impressive, considering I am using different shafts round by round until I settle on a regular.  I unfortunately went with the Smoke im10 60 6.0 in the Max, which was too stiff for me out on the course.  Fortunately, I have a ton of other Callaway shafts around, and many of my stalwarts are working nicely in the Epic Max, some better than others.  Rogue White 60, Speeder 665 Evo II TS, and Tensei Blue 65 kind of rising to the top.  YMMV.

Edited by jeffrey r

I just had an interesting experience. I spent an hour with a FlightScope LM trying the new heads. I've been playing the Epic SZ for a few years. I tried the Epic Speed and the Epic Max and Max LS with the same shaft as my Epic. I changed head weights, loft and other settings and none of the new drivers were any better for length or dispersion than my Epic SZ. I was a little disappointed because I was ready to buy a new head, but no joy.

• Like 1

I just got a 9 degree Max LS with a 70 gram mitsubishi chemical great club, I was suprised how much I actually liked it, great feel, solid shaft, I thought 70 grams would be too heavy but actually feels good, face sits great, doesnt sit shut and is not draw biased like the Speed.... good club

• Like 1

Ordered my Max LS with MMT 60S on March 30, it's arriving today.  I have a Tensei Blue to fall back on, though I'm excited to try the MMT.

• Like 1

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

22 hours ago, DLiver said:

I just had an interesting experience. I spent an hour with a FlightScope LM trying the new heads. I've been playing the Epic SZ for a few years. I tried the Epic Speed and the Epic Max and Max LS with the same shaft as my Epic. I changed head weights, loft and other settings and none of the new drivers were any better for length or dispersion than my Epic SZ. I was a little disappointed because I was ready to buy a new head, but no joy.

I too have the Epic Flash Sub Zero and switched to the Max LS - here's where it really improved for me - the Max LS is so damn straighter than my EFSZ and also way, way better sounding.

Here the advantage of the EFSZ though - the front weight. I had to put 4 gm of lead under the new JailBreak of my Max LS. Just to bring the spin down somewhat. It would be so good just to be able to insert a weight instead like my EFSZ. I think if I can source some diamond head with the sliding weight and the front weight, I'm all in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, golfboy1 said:

I just got a 9 degree Max LS with a 70 gram mitsubishi chemical great club, I was suprised how much I actually liked it, great feel, solid shaft, I thought 70 grams would be too heavy but actually feels good, face sits great, doesnt sit shut and is not draw biased like the Speed.... good club

Ive got the exact same club hopefully arriving later this week. To me the 70g MMT felt better than the 60g.

• Like 1