Can the Golf Channel get any more BORING?

BenSeattle

Let's forget the budget-driven move from golf-packed Orlando to the distant outpost of Stamford, Connecticut and the discarding of various on-air talents.  I'm talking about What You See when you turn on the Golf Channel at any random time of day.  Yep, there's the new "Golf Today" but what I see most is re-runs.  Re-runs of shows that aired YEARS AGO ("Jack - Prime" is on right now) but mainly its re-runs of golf tournaments, old and new.  Seriously: does this outfit really expect people to watch a replay of the second round of some run-of-the-mill event?  Figure it out... if we're truly interested in that second round, we watched it live.  And if we didn't watch it live, we caught it later via DVR.  Are these programmers content with merely filling time?  Long gone are the original shows such as Kessler's "Golf Talk Live" and now even "Feherty" has been cancelled.  Michael Breed's instruction show, The Big Break... the list is endless.  A network that offers little more than re-racks of stuff we've seen before? You can have it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd be ok with watching finals rounds from older majors(and not just ones won by you know who).  They were doing it somewhat ok this past year, but only around particular majors.  I enjoyed watching the PGA championship from 1974, US Open that same year,  some in the 80s.  I don't know how much it actually costs to air those, but it would have to be at least as much a ratings puller as reruns of the stuff they are showing.   

I'd say their overall state is reflective of not really being in tune with modern media on the whole. The PGA Tour, the USGA, even The Masters and The Open have their own active YouTube channels that produce views online. I can't think of the last anything from The Golf Channel I've watched on the web. Not being involved in where much of the golf world is between events means they probably aren't very aware of it either. On the whole it's just seems a very out of the loop channel.

That they try to rely so heavily on golf news says enough about the state of things over there. Maybe they're just rudderless? I've never bothered looking into who's running what or why they're doing the the nothing they're doing.

6 hours ago, BenSeattle said:

Let's forget the budget-driven move from golf-packed Orlando to the distant outpost of Stamford, Connecticut and the discarding of various on-air talents.  I'm talking about What You See when you turn on the Golf Channel at any random time of day.  Yep, there's the new "Golf Today" but what I see most is re-runs.  Re-runs of shows that aired YEARS AGO ("Jack - Prime" is on right now) but mainly its re-runs of golf tournaments, old and new.  Seriously: does this outfit really expect people to watch a replay of the second round of some run-of-the-mill event?  Figure it out... if we're truly interested in that second round, we watched it live.  And if we didn't watch it live, we caught it later via DVR.  Are these programmers content with merely filling time?  Long gone are the original shows such as Kessler's "Golf Talk Live" and now even "Feherty" has been cancelled.  Michael Breed's instruction show, The Big Break... the list is endless.  A network that offers little more than re-racks of stuff we've seen before? You can have it! 

You’re not wrong. I may be easier on The Golf Channel than some (most?). Think about loving the game and only catching the highlights on SportsCentre if the channel didn’t exist. 

I just took a look at the next 24-hours. The nice way of saying it is that it is repetitive. It’s anchor points seem to be Golf Central, Golf Today and this week’s tournament. It’s hard to fill all the hours that way. 

As it’s been said above, creating content is an expensive and time consuming endeavour. That being said, it is a broadcast channel part of a larger network, so maybe it’s time the leadership decides what it wants it to be and do it. 

I don’t know what the answer is but the truth is there needs to be a serious strategy to get the programming up to par if the folks on this forum represent the expectations of the golfing public. 

Big Break, On The Range, Grey Goose 19th Hole, Feherty etc. all in the past. Are we even certain they were ever replaced? 

What are other niche networks doing better/worse?

Edited by Draw Driver

3 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Kessler leaving ceased to be relevant a long time ago. 

A couple of lengthy threads beating the horse. 

Well, obviously.  My point is that "Golf Talk Live" was an original show, one that showed personalities in golf, rather than today's far-easier-to-do fare of merely re-racking some old tournament golf coverage.  The ratings for these replays must be just below ZERO. But it's cheap, right?

• Like 1

Sky Sports had some rerun of a some Golf Channel show the other night. I can’t even remember the name of it, it had Anna Whitely presenting...

Anyway, it was terrible. I think, it was supposed to be some golf news show. It failed miserably at doing that and instead had the other host doing some sanctimonious segment where the main purpose seemed to be to indulge in a lyrical pat on the back for how inclusive the Golf Channel is to one and all, when it is anything but.

I gave up watching after half an hour and I decided I was better of watching a Peter Finch video on YouTube which turned out to be better (which is saying a lot). If that was supposed to be the flag ship show, I am guessing that it is simply based on the fact that Sky Sports showed it, then I can only imagine how turgid the rest of the programming is.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

6 hours ago, BenSeattle said:

Well, obviously.  My point is that "Golf Talk Live" was an original show, one that showed personalities in golf, rather than today's far-easier-to-do fare of merely re-racking some old tournament golf coverage.  The ratings for these replays must be just below ZERO. But it's cheap, right?

They'll never show them but if they ran replays of Kessler's show, I'd sure watch them.

It wouldn't appeal to everyone but it would be an interesting mini series to have GC follow around Tom Doak or someone of the like as they builds a new course. Give people a chance to see it from start to finish (high level stuff). Preferably a public development so people would be able to access it once completed. 

I really enjoyed the big break back in the day. Not sure how realistic that is to bring back?

Shell's wonderful world of golf. What happened to that?? Sure we had "the match" and matchplay event at Seminole which should've been a hit if there was a single personality in the group but man I do love watching matchplay.

Honestly they could pump a live feed of pebble beach 1st tee and i'd rather sit and watch 15 handicaps slice their drives off the first tee than listen to Damon Hack. Just awful. Jury is still out on Bacon but it's not looking good either...

I could go on regarding the lack of quality content but GC biggest issue IMO is their personalities. I really enjoyed Damron, Shackleford can be a bit of a curmudgeon at times but is incredibly insightful, honestly how many current/former PGA guys live up in CT? Orlando was a base for those guys and i think it was a big misstep by GC leaving that area. 

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

16 hours ago, Bluefan75 said:

I'd be ok with watching finals rounds from older majors(and not just ones won by you know who).  They were doing it somewhat ok this past year, but only around particular majors.  I enjoyed watching the PGA championship from 1974, US Open that same year,  some in the 80s.  I don't know how much it actually costs to air those, but it would have to be at least as much a ratings puller as reruns of the stuff they are showing.   

+1...GC is really only good for tourney broadcasts these days.  In between, they should just show current coverage, last year's tourney and older majors/tournaments.  

In a way I don't think the problem is cost. A lot of lesser golf podcasts/outlets have good content on shoestring budgets.

I think the main problem is their first thought on everything has an air of "Would Arnold Palmer watch this". Nothing against Arnold Palmer, but things have changed since the 60s; Golf Channel needs to change as well. 

I'll probably posted this in three forums here but heres some spit ball ideas: big break (did it really cost that much)? Last Chance U type show, but with golf? Following a college team for a season, maybe a DII or a couple differents? Do a QB1 type show like on Netflix (follow some top ranked high school golfers). Hard knocks type golf show. Pay Tome Coyne to walk around Australia. Even get the NLU guys do to something. 

• Like 1

the GC will go the same way that hunting and fishing shows have gone on other channels....the content will be there just to give advertisers a platform to sell their stuff..It will probably morph into a HSN version selling nothing but golf equipment and other related and non related items, You can forget late night replays of events because advertisers won't pay to be on those telecasts..I think the GC will become one never ending infomercial

2 hours ago, Rangeballz said:

I agree the channel is scraping the bottom, and is a shell of what it once was. The bean counters are in charge now, and we are seeing the results of the cost cutting.

But times change, and life goes one. I've accepted the fact that the golden age of the golf channel is long gone, and won't ever return. A shame, really......

Sadly I think you're right.  For many reasons other than this too.

• Like 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

37 minutes ago, jjthomp2 said:

It wouldn't appeal to everyone but it would be an interesting mini series to have GC follow around Tom Doak or someone of the like as they builds a new course. Give people a chance to see it from start to finish (high level stuff). Preferably a public development so people would be able to access it once completed. 

I really enjoyed the big break back in the day. Not sure how realistic that is to bring back?

Shell's wonderful world of golf. What happened to that?? Sure we had "the match" and matchplay event at Seminole which should've been a hit if there was a single personality in the group but man I do love watching matchplay.

Honestly they could pump a live feed of pebble beach 1st tee and i'd rather sit and watch 15 handicaps slice their drives off the first tee than listen to Damon Hack. Just awful. Jury is still out on Bacon but it's not looking good either...

I could go on regarding the lack of quality content but GC biggest issue IMO is their personalities. I really enjoyed Damron, Shackleford can be a bit of a curmudgeon at times but is incredibly insightful, honestly how many current/former PGA guys live up in CT? Orlando was a base for those guys and i think it was a big misstep by GC leaving that area. 

Pebble Beach used to have a live cam that included the 1st tee, now it's 17/18 greens so you can watch those!

The Old Course has several and Royal Dornoch has a couple - first tee and second green.  Good way to kill a spring Sunday morning during early breakfast! Or second breakfast!

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

I was just thinking about Kevin Na’s win last week and the post round interview. Such an interesting guy, personal story, golf journey and usually with honest, open, insightful answers when engaged. Why not build a show around players like this? His story. Journey back to South Korea and his progression to the PGA tour. Behind the scenes stuff; discussions with family, sponsors, coaches, players, friends, backers etc. 

Golf is such an international game and by definition historically rich. The channel has tapped into that with Nicklaus, Palmer, Hogan content but with big stars maturing and eventually retiring; Tiger, Phil, Ernie, VJ, Furky, Love etc., why not go deeper on players like Na, Scott and Oosthuizen? 

There appears to be a large opportunity for content between the young guns and the maturing stars. I feel that’s rarely captured in their content. I would see that as one opportunity for them if the will emerges.

Edited by Draw Driver
  • Like 2

TGC is, IMO, a failing entity, thanks to the personal bias and lack of good judgment of those running it.   

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Unless there is tournament coverage, I really don't tune into Golf Channel anymore.  I watch Erik Anders Lang/Random Golf Club, No Laying Up, etc, etc, on YoutTube if I want to watch good golf content.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour (14.5)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

1 hour ago, Celebros said:

Unless there is tournament coverage, I really don't tune into Golf Channel anymore.  I watch Erik Anders Lang/Random Golf Club, No Laying Up, etc, etc, on YoutTube if I want to watch good golf content.

Erik Anders "good golf content" woof. Korn hole*  tournaments on espn are more entertaining than that guy

Edited by jjthomp2
  • Like 3

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

9 minutes ago, Arn said:

The Masters YouTube channel is full of gems, or just YouTube in general. TV is unwatchable at this point.

That’s where nbc/golf channel could really improve.  They don’t create long lasting content and or use their trove of tour coverage.  It seems like it is just cover the tournament, then who cares after that.  

There are so many interesting things you can do with old tournament coverage.  Imagine if they brought in a player and a podcaster to sit in and talk about a win and what they were thinking during the round.  Similar tie Homs and Bacon going over old Us Open footage.  There is so many cheap creative things you can do that would keep me glued.

• Like 1

Many are talking about how it costs money to make original content.  Of course this is true, but the golf channel seems uniquely positioned to make it really inexpensive.  I think they should start with instruction.  I can't imagine Breed's studio costs that much.  And if you don't want to pay Breed, have a rotating group of teaching pros who are trying to get their names out there.  As for who to teach on the shows, i like the idea of having multiple lessons for individuals and showing how/whether they progress through the process.  I suspect you would not have to pay the participants anything in exchange for lessons, being on tv, etc.  

They could even make offers to Youtubers that have developed a following.  TXG, Crossfield, Robinson, Shiels, etc.  Take some of (all of?) the money you're paying to Damon Hack/Bacon and spend it on interesting content.  

I definitely agree with others though that the dumbest thing golf channel has done, and there are many, is moving to Connecticut.  Basically like moving a surfing network from hawaii to a lake in iowa.  

• Like 2

Tsr2 8 or Tsi3 9 with Whiteboard 73 stiff Rombax 7z08
Titleist 910f 15 diamana whiteboard 83 stiff

titleist 818h2 with atmos stiff
titleist 710 mb 4-pw or Mizuno 919 Tour 4-pw or....
Vokey 52,56
Lajosi dd201 about 20 other putters

The weekend rounds will soon be regular fare on network TV after the Hawaiian swing.  

Gave up GC years ago.  No value for the $.  

• Like 1

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G