SIM2 Predictions - Where will this driver stand in TMs history?

DaRiz

3 hours ago, Red4282 said:

No,  but if we are talking comparing sim to sim 2, or 410 to 425... it wont be much if at all. You would HAVE to do it on an iron byron, because in human testing, there is no way to control speed, loft delivered, face angle, AOA, etc. In actuality, the newer models might actually test WORSE. Thats why no OEM does this, even though they easily could. There would be nothing to sell.  Even if there were some differences, they would be extremely small. 

You write "there won't be much difference" as though it's fact, however there's no measurements, math, or comparative testing.

There's no need for special equipment beyond the standard launch monitor.  You only need a sufficiently large sample size and rudimentary database.

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

15 hours ago, puttingmatt said:

Where it will rank? Are you kidding?

TM rolls through driver cycles every six months ,lols

That really hasn't been true for a couple years now.  They've been on a yearly cycle just like everyone else since the original M series.  

• Like 1

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

7 hours ago, MysteryV said:

You write "there won't be much difference" as though it's fact, however there's no measurements, math, or comparative testing.

There's no need for special equipment beyond the standard launch monitor.  You only need a sufficiently large sample size and rudimentary database.

Then go for it

On 1/21/2021 at 8:49 AM, jll62 said:

The r5 dual would be my guess. But remember that the "forgiving" driver each year almost never has moveable weights. Everyone's gold standard, the 2016 M2, didn't have moveable weights. If moveable weights are a key factor for people, the SIM2 isn't for them. And that's okay.Perhaps we see moveable weights back next year. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

What I'm saying is this release feels like a full on redesign of the entire club to create a platform upon which they can build features going forward. I'm in the software industry and this seems like a refactoring of code to improve the internal architecture so that features can be more easily implemented, or so you can increase scale, etc. Sometimes you have to make the tough call to kick out a feature (e.g., MWT) until a future release because you need to completely reimplement it in the new design. That's what this feels like to me.

I thought of the same analogy.

What really makes me feel that way is that this go round has no moveable weight.   That's obviously been a TM hallmark over the years.   I suspect that there are some tradeoffs that couldn't be overcome in the timeline they needed so they went with this while continuing work on the moveable weight challenges.

On 1/20/2021 at 10:30 PM, gibbiesmalls said:

Got any original material? 

This take has gotten so old and stale .... and wouldn't be funny even if it were true (which it's not).

Yeah, Since I picked up the Sim 3 wood in May of 2020, and the Sim2 is out in January 2021,  it doesn't get any more original than that, some product cycle life, 

9 months.

• Confused 1

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

20 minutes ago, puttingmatt said:

Yeah, Since I picked up the Sim 3 wood in May of 2020, and the Sim2 is out in January 2021,  it doesn't get any more original than that, some product cycle life, 

9 months.

Ohhh, I get it...

You'd like OEMs to stop selling all equipment for a period of time to eliminate the possibility of someone (like yourself) buying a club right before the new 2 year release cycle.

Be right back, let me call my car dealership..

TM has to have the best marketing team. They got to pay the big boys their $$$.

They pull out the fairy floss machine and start the spinning....and the amateur golfer stands there with his mouth wide open willing to part the big $$ every 6 months on a driver..but won't have lessons to cure the real ill.

• Like 1

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

2 hours ago, puttingmatt said:

9 months.

You must be a big deal if the market considers the product cycle to start only when you have made your purchase. 😆

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

On 1/21/2021 at 11:39 AM, Red4282 said:

First tm driver without moveable weight since....? I guess 2015. Id call that a step back, or at the very least lateral movement.

2015. Really? Multiple TM drivers since 2015 w/o moveable weights. Easy information to find.

2020 Sim Max and Sim Max D no moveable weights. Same as M6, M6-D, Original One Driver, M4, M2 & M2 Type D (2016 and 2017 (type D)), 2016 & 2020 M-Gloire Drivers, Aeroburner (2015). Many others before 2015 as well.

7 hours ago, grm24 said:

2015. Really? Multiple TM drivers since 2015 w/o moveable weights. Easy information to find.

2020 Sim Max and Sim Max D no moveable weights. Same as M6, M6-D, Original One Driver, M4, M2 & M2 Type D (2016 and 2017 (type D)), 2016 & 2020 M-Gloire Drivers, Aeroburner (2015). Many others before 2015 as well.

Im pretty sure you knew what i meant but ill clarify. First year, taylormade has offered a lineup of drivers without at least one that had moveable weights. You had SIM, M5, M3, M1. Have to go back to 2015 with aeroburner to when it wasnt an option.

On 1/21/2021 at 11:49 AM, jll62 said:

The r5 dual would be my guess. But remember that the "forgiving" driver each year almost never has moveable weights. Everyone's gold standard, the 2016 M2, didn't have moveable weights. If moveable weights are a key factor for people, the SIM2 isn't for them. And that's okay.Perhaps we see moveable weights back next year. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

What I'm saying is this release feels like a full on redesign of the entire club to create a platform upon which they can build features going forward. I'm in the software industry and this seems like a refactoring of code to improve the internal architecture so that features can be more easily implemented, or so you can increase scale, etc. Sometimes you have to make the tough call to kick out a feature (e.g., MWT) until a future release because you need to completely reimplement it in the new design. That's what this feels like to me.

Yeah, from an engineering point of view I like what they're doing - rid of bodyweight for more efficient localized weights (low rear).  Nice structure to build upon, and they have movable weights to reintroduce as the next logical step.  Can't show all their cards at once!  At the same time, I might agree with the skeptic posts:  All drivers have been so good that for actual performance in the picky hands of picky people, we might not notice real life differences.

Since everyone's been capped on COR and MOI, we know the best anyone can do is improve speed retention on off-center hits, max out MOI, and keep spin in check.  For max MOI, low spin, and speed retention, the goal is a lightweight, aerodynamic, rigid body with a low rear CG, and a face that flexes pretty evenly all over.  Carbon fiber and aluminum are lower in density than titanium, so if they keep those materials pretty thin, the more they use on the body the more it allows for efficient localized weight over a heavier titanium build.  Everyone's already doing low rear weight, this just makes it easier to manipulate CG.  It can also help locate draw and fade bias weights farther back to keep MOI up.  They just need to keep the CF and aluminum weight down to benefit over thin titanium.

As far as speed retention on off-center hits, they check the boxes:  removing welds, going with a cup face, variable face thicknesses, flexible sole slot.  If/when Callaway joins in on the carbon fiber sole, they might have even more potential with their AI face and jailbreak that gives more body rigidity behind the flexible face.

Performance, feel, look, how it holds up to damage, ability to close the face, who knows, and everyone's got their own needs and abilities.  But great design from TM on SIM2 👍👍.  The materials game is strong.  The future will be lighter and thinner like integrating graphene to the body.  Once everyone maxes out MOI at 5900 g-cm^2, maybe they'll have more face and slot advancements and start going smaller like 400 cc while maintaining max MOI.  Everyone's got to get there first.

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

2 hours ago, joostin said:

Yeah, from an engineering point of view I like what they're doing - rid of bodyweight for more efficient localized weights (low rear).  Nice structure to build upon, and they have movable weights to reintroduce as the next logical step.  Can't show all their cards at once!  At the same time, I might agree with the skeptic posts:  All drivers have been so good that for actual performance in the picky hands of picky people, we might not notice real life differences.

Since everyone's been capped on COR and MOI, we know the best anyone can do is improve speed retention on off-center hits, max out MOI, and keep spin in check.  For max MOI, low spin, and speed retention, the goal is a lightweight, aerodynamic, rigid body with a low rear CG, and a face that flexes pretty evenly all over.  Carbon fiber and aluminum are lower in density than titanium, so if they keep those materials pretty thin, the more they use on the body the more it allows for efficient localized weight over a heavier titanium build.  Everyone's already doing low rear weight, this just makes it easier to manipulate CG.  It can also help locate draw and fade bias weights farther back to keep MOI up.  They just need to keep the CF and aluminum weight down to benefit over thin titanium.

As far as speed retention on off-center hits, they check the boxes:  removing welds, going with a cup face, variable face thicknesses, flexible sole slot.  If/when Callaway joins in on the carbon fiber sole, they might have even more potential with their AI face and jailbreak that gives more body rigidity behind the flexible face.

Performance, feel, look, how it holds up to damage, ability to close the face, who knows, and everyone's got their own needs and abilities.  But great design from TM on SIM2 👍👍.  The materials game is strong.  The future will be lighter and thinner like integrating graphene to the body.  Once everyone maxes out MOI at 5900 g-cm^2, maybe they'll have more face and slot advancements and start going smaller like 400 cc while maintaining max MOI.  Everyone's got to get there first.

That’s what I’m saying. General consensus seems to be “this is an off year” because there is no weight and not a ton of hype surrounding it. But when you look at what their engineering strategy is, this is a vast departure from their super forward CG that started back around SLDR. TM is quietly changing their entire playbook here by moving CG back and essentially trying to create what the Ping LST models have perfected, high MOI/low spin. For me, TM drivers always went the furthest but I could never control them so I have been solidly in the Ping camp for years now just because they are so stable. But if TM can out-Ping Ping and give me 5000+ MOI while keeping spin down, I think they could start to shift the trend towards stability and the SIM2 has the potential to be looked back upon as that divergence point

..or maybe we will all forget it ever existed like the RBZ stage 2

• Like 1

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
OG M2 16.5* Speeder 757s

OG Apex 18* KK 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0 

I think TM needs to market the quality of the newest SIM2 head components and it’s no weld construction. No one is ever going to see the milling and see these cool pieces being on the insides of the parts. Also, it’s the first time ever the driver is more carbon than titanium. Pretty cool stuff but tough to follow SIM OG for sure. My golf spy did a great job with their review. 

https://Not allowed because of spam.com/taylormade-sim-2-driver/

0539D4BD-B2DA-4158-89E4-E7FC2FC4006C.png

CE27DF11-B596-43AF-ABF8-81D9E74B80FA.png

Edited by evoviiiyou
Spelling
  • Like 1

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

"Most recent" ? (until the next version of course :classic_biggrin:)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

53 minutes ago, evoviiiyou said:

I think TM needs to market the quality of the newest SIM2 head components and it’s no weld construction. No one is ever going to see the milling and see these cool pieces being on the insides of the parts. Also, it’s the first time ever the driver is more carbon than titanium. Pretty cool stuff but tough to follow SIM OG for sure. My golf spy did a great job with their review. 

I'm fairly certain some of these will basically explode, so pics would be sure to follow.  So we would see these pieces, just likely later and followed by warranty returns.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

On 1/24/2021 at 3:18 PM, gwelfgulfer said:

I'm fairly certain some of these will basically explode, so pics would be sure to follow.  So we would see these pieces, just likely later and followed by warranty returns.

On what do you base such certainty?

• Like 1

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

58 minutes ago, Jarlaxle said:

On what do you base such certainty?

Because there is is always failures, regardless.  More so with a first gen full composite head.  It's basically a 100% certainty that "some" will blow up.  How many, who knows.  But it is a 100% that SOME will fail.  Really didn't think that this would be something that could be questioned...

I had a Ping G LST blow a toe out within 5 swings that was NIW, straight out of a fit cart when I worked at GT years ago .  Ping said they had never seen that before.  Chit happens...

Edited by setter02

Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

12 hours ago, gwelfgulfer said:

Because there is is always failures, regardless.  More so with a first gen full composite head.  It's basically a 100% certainty that "some" will blow up.  How many, who knows.  But it is a 100% that SOME will fail.  Really didn't think that this would be something that could be questioned...

I had a Ping G LST blow a toe out within 5 swings that was NIW, straight out of a fit cart when I worked at GT years ago .  Ping said they had never seen that before.  Chit happens...

I suppose we will see.  No production method is perfect and there will always be the occasional fluke.  My reading of your post suggested something a bit more systemic. Apologies. 

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

8 minutes ago, Jarlaxle said:

I suppose we will see.  No production method is perfect and there will always be the occasional fluke.  My reading of your post suggested something a bit more systemic. Apologies. 

No, no.  Just looking into my plexiglass ball.

Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

On 1/24/2021 at 11:24 AM, evoviiiyou said:

Agreed, perceived quality is a big deal. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant